Little East 2018

Little East 2018

New postby MA18LaxDad on Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:41 pm

New to LaxForum and wanted to start the Little East 2018 Forum.

From what I understand, UMB is doing their fall play day on October 8th at Babson
MA18LaxDad

Re: Little East 2018

New postby NTClax on Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:41 pm

Former Western Conn stand out Eric Small to take over at Salem State.. Should be interesting :think:
NTClax

Who's Coming to the Little East?

New postby MA18LaxDad on Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:47 am

Anyone have any notes/opinions on new player additions to the Little East?
MA18LaxDad

New postby LEC23 on Thu Sep 28, 2017 1:24 pm

NTClax wrote:Former Western Conn stand out Eric Small to take over at Salem State.. Should be interesting :think:

Stand out?!?!?! HAHA! :lol: :lol: :lol:

JK Smalls! Congrats Buddy!
LEC23

New postby LFD on Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:36 pm

"Ryan Murphy Named UMass Dartmouth Head Men’s Lacrosse Coach"
http://www.corsairathletics.com/sports/ ... lax-murphy

Good hire by Dartmouth IMO. You can't go wrong hiring a former Springfield guy - they seem to have success wherever they go. That coaching tree is ridiculous.
LFD

New postby BostonSouthLax on Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:35 am

Keene has lost of firepower last two seasons, can anyone close the gap?

speaking of Keene, great to see Rotatori playing for Team Israel in the Dome this weekend. Looking at the the Israel Premier League webpage he had a great season there as well. The Israel team will be a tough team to crack.

I am still a fan of UMass Boston will they continue to make progress? :ugeek:
BostonSouthLax

New postby MA18LaxDad on Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:44 pm

Good size/talent recruiting class coming in this year for UMB, and with dorms opening in Fall of 2018, should help Coach Low to continue to build the program - already paying off with a solid list of commits coming for next year (per UMB twitter feed)!
MA18LaxDad

New postby Northeastlax22 on Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:36 pm

Any updates on Keene's Offensive replacements for Hart and Rotatori? Also, Eastern Connecticut lost Schulze at the faceoff he was their only FOGO last year, did Tilley bring in any good faceoff players?
Northeastlax22

New postby sguy9 on Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:38 pm

According to Wconn Twitter page:

We are very excited to announce that Western Connecticut will be offering in-state tuition to all New York and New Jersey residents starting in the Fall 2018 semester.
sguy9

New postby PickUpHero on Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:13 pm

So I see Eastconn is really ramping up the schedule with the addition of Anna Maria this season.......
PickUpHero

New postby NTClax on Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:16 pm

It will probably be a good game. Roll Owls
NTClax

New postby laxxer27 on Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:18 pm

PickUpHero wrote:So I see Eastconn is really ramping up the schedule with the addition of Anna Maria this season.......

Wow, i thought you were joking until i looked at the website. What is the point of that game being played?
laxxer27

New postby Ron Burgundy on Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:46 pm

It sure would be nice to hear something about how Eastern fared in their fallball scrimmages this year. Or if they played any scrimmages. Or if they played fallball at all. I mean, of course they did, but it's worth clarifying.

There's an eerie silence in Willimantic these days. Perhaps washed-up former players like myself shouldn't expect to know what's going on in our old locker room, should instead make our poor guesses about who's going to step up in our old positions, should subsist on rumors and wait in excited anticipation for the spring. But now we don't even hear rumors. That familiar pre-season buzzing of hype from coaching contacts, summer ball tournaments, and boastful new-recruit parents is gone. Soon we won't even bother keeping our ears on the ground...

Sometimes I think, well, this is what it's like to be a Keene fan--they do seem to keep their cards close and their traps shut in the offseason. But our side isn't watching classes of secret-weapon newcomers pour in with muted smiles every year. We're not even sure if we can call ourselves the other side anymore.

The last piece of mail I received from my alma mater had Rick McCarthy's name on it. Whose name was missing? Certainly not Axel's, whose name in Willimantic will never be forgotten, whose presence, we hope, still lingers--and who is now, at least distantly, our competitor, dutifully steering a program that Eastern once aspired to be. No, it's clear whose name is missing. It's the source of the deafening silence, the elephant in the room, the only topic worth talking about these days. What is he doing with our old locker room, our old field, our old program? What is going on?

And, is it still the same program?
Great story. Compelling, and rich.
Ron Burgundy

New postby GreenMtLaxer on Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:18 pm

The LEC will never be a two bid conference, so strength of schedule is pretty much irrelevant. Keene was 14-3 last year with good wins against WNE and a then ranked Bowdoin team, had a high SOS with games against RPI, Bates and Tufts on the schedule and still had the pleasure of heading into Medford for their first round game. (n 2016 they had virtually the same schedule and go to host Montclair, while in '15 they were sent to Bates...all three years with similar schedule and record.

Contrast that with 2013 when a 10-6 Keene team was sent to play a much more "beatable" Endicott team on the road.

Long story short, SOS means nothing unless you're fighting for an at large bid. The first round matchups are as much about NCAA money saving as they are about creating seedings that reflect the teams' SOS and record.

Sure, there is something to be said for playing the best teams and measuring yourselves against the best, but in many cases budget concerns override SOS concerns from an administrative perspective and a coach can only travel so far for so many games.
GreenMtLaxer

New postby PickUpHero on Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:02 am

I would say that scheduling games has the same purpose as practicing. In that you schedule out of conference games to give your team the opportunity to get better through appropriate challenge. Not to mention the recruiting aspect of playing good teams.

I just don't see what there is to gain by playing some of these teams...
PickUpHero

New postby LFD on Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:10 pm

Eastern schedule looks like it was put together by a coach who needs a few cupcake wins to pad his record so he can validate that he's doing a good job. Fresh off the worst season in Eastern history, it's no surprise they have some easy games. If they can't win 10 games with this schedule....things are MUCH worse in Willimantic than people already think..

Side note...only 5 home games for Eastern? :think:
LFD

New postby Rosscofett on Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:16 am

I had some time on my hands and figured I'd post Eastern's 2018 schedule here for all to see... If anyone else is looking for their team's schedule, you can find it here: http://www.littleeast.com/sports/mlax/index

FEBRUARY
Tue. 27 at Coast Guard 7:00 PM

MARCH
Sat. 3 at Gordon 4:00 PM
Tue. 6 Johnson & Wales (RI) TBA
Sun. 11 at Whittier 4:00 PM
Tue. 13 vs. Southwestern (Tex.) 4:00 PM @Whittier
Sat. 17 at Anna Maria 1:00 PM
Tue. 20 at Roger Williams 4:00 PM
Tue. 27 at Mount Ida 3:30 PM
Fri. 30 Keene State * 1:00 PM

APRIL
Sat. 7 Southern Maine * 1:00 PM
Sat. 14 at UMass Boston * 3:00 PM
Wed. 18 at Western Connecticut * 7:00 PM
Sat. 21 Plymouth State * 3:00 PM
Tue. 24 UMass Dartmouth * 5:00 PM
Fri. 27 at Salem State * 7:00 PM
Rosscofett

New postby Northeastlax22 on Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:27 am

Who will take the LEC this year?
Eastern CT- Quite in the off season did not play any fall contests and lost one of the best LEC face off man. I would put them at 3rd to win it assuming there is some recruiting to be done.
Keene- The powerhouse of the LEC winning tournament after tournament, played in the fall, and usually has strong freshmen. However, Rotatori and Hart gone what will happen to the offense. Unsure if Bacarella will return. They are the most likely to win the LEC Assuming there is no surprises.
Plymouth- Plymouth has been an up and down team of late but since they have lost Haversat, I don’t know if Hafkemeyer can fill those shoes. I will place them at 5th this year.
Salem St.- Has never had a team to compete in the LEC with and with a new coach a large question mark is there. They should sit at the bottom of the conference 8th.
Southern Maine- Big hornblower is gone and they must be feeling that loss this year, he even added goals last year. Southern Maine will most likely fall to the low end and be a non factor again. 7th in the LEC
UMass Boston- Lost Calvin Lee this year a player that changed the entire Boston team. With dorms opening recruiting may have expanded. I would put them as 4th.
UMass Dartmouth- Always has been relevant in the LEC but has not ever capitalized. Without major losses they should sit at about the same spot as last year. I would place them at 6th in the a LEC.
Western CT- With the coach and his recruits, Western may push ahead of the LEC. They changed significantly from 2 seasons ago to the last one and this trend should keep up. I place them as 2nd in the LEC
Northeastlax22

New postby NARPLife on Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:28 pm

Northeast,

In regards to Eastern I would agree that 3rd is a safe bet coming into this season. They are still slowly trailing off, but judging by the losses across the league, their general talent level should let them float around this point. HUGE question for me is the scheduling for this year. Some absolute jokes compared to years past. I understand a confidence builder but Anna Maria? They could throw in backups for all 4 quarters and still win by 10 in my mind, or at least I hope they could. Not sure what the long term goal is here besides sliding into mediocrity. Boston w/ Rensselaer has an arguably tougher OOC but that may be saying too much.

Keene's league to lose again. Even with the loss of some studs, across the board they are a higher level than the LEC as a whole, especially with Theriault still running a tight ship.

Western is pulling a reverse Eastern and heading up quickly. Maybe not this year, but withing the next 2-3 I could see them being the 1b to Keene's 1a if they keep this momentum up under Cavanagh. They also need to pick up a few more higher quality opponents, but that will come with more success.

Plymouth will muck up the middle of the pack with Boston, Southern Maine and Dartmouth. Each team lost big parts, be it Lee from Boston or Haverstat from Plymouth. I believe the oldest Hornblower was only a Junior last year so barring other news shouldn't he be returning? If not Southern Maine might really have to work to pull into this group. Dartmouth also bringing in a new coach, they could either pull back in or fall off even more.

Lots of parity in the middle but what else is new in this conference.

Salem is a bottom feeder as far as I can see unless some big changes are made for the better.
NARPLife

New postby payupsucker on Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:15 pm

Haven't had a chance to look at the schedules. Who has the best opponent by all LEC teams this year?
Wars may come and go, but my soldiers remain eternal
payupsucker

Sponsor

Next

Return to Men's - Division III