NESCAC 2018

Re: NESCAC 2017

New postby deefense on Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:13 pm

Does Tufts rebound this year or was Daly's departure the end of an era?
deefense

New postby deefense on Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:15 pm

I saw them play twice last year and didn't have a dog in either fight: their defense collapsed, I don't like the keeper musical chairs and their FO struggled. Their O looked winded and ran out of steam in both games. Just felt different than the previous era.
deefense

New postby FannOLax on Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:27 pm

deefense wrote:Does Tufts rebound this year or was Daly's departure the end of an era?

My guess (educated or over-educated? :mrgreen: ) is that the Daly era will prove to be as good as it gets for Tufts. Yes, there is now a strong tradition, and Tufts might get back to the national championship game, but probably not in consecutive years. Interesting that both Daly and his successor are Tufts alumni; while it might be a noble idea, D'Annolfo's record might indicate that it's not the best qualification for a potential head coach.
FannOLax

New postby nesCACsure on Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:55 pm

FannOLax wrote: Interesting that both Daly and his successor are Tufts alumni; while it might be a noble idea, D'Annolfo's record might indicate that it's not the best qualification for a potential head coach.

What record indicates he is not a good fit? Going 13-6 in his first year after losing 12 contributing seniors after 3x NC appearances? Daly would have had a down year with this relatively (for Tufts standards) inexperienced squad. Definitely a disappointing year, but I don't think there is any panic in Medford.
nesCACsure

New postby JumboFan4 on Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:50 am

They also lost their best player in Carbone and several other key contributors to injury throughout the season, most of which will be coming back next year. I understand that injuries happen, but overall I'd say it was a very successful first season under D'Annolfo. If they get healthy, there's no reason why they wouldn't be in contention for a title.
JumboFan4

New postby deefense on Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:38 pm

For the NESCAC title, sure, for the National Title, no way. Have you seen RIT or Salisbury play? I've seen them all in person and unless the Jumbos button down the hatches on and start going 50% or greater at the X, they're going to struggle to beat some of the stronger teams.
deefense

New postby IDigClams on Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:02 pm

I assume Trinity will fill their open AD job before they address their open Men's Lax Head Coach job. However, it's not too soon to speculate who may toss their resume in the mix for the Lax HC job.

How about Dan Corcoran (asst. Coach at Conn College). He lives close to Hartford and has been an asst. coach in the NESCAC for a while. Same thing with Charlie Congelton at Wes. He already lives in the area and has had a really good coaching and playing run at Wesleyan.

How about other head or asst. coaches from surrounding D2 or D3 schools (Springfield, Endicot, AIC) or asst. coaches from nearby D1 schools (Yale, U-Hartford, Umass, Bryant, Providence, UMass, Quinnipiac, Fairfield)?
IDigClams

New postby grassfield on Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:00 pm

The what if Tufts questions will persist with the new coaching staff until they accomplish something substantial. I can't imagine anyone inside or outside of that program being OK with losing four NESCAC games in a row. Tufts homers need to be real - they beat the teams they should have beaten and lost to every above average team on their schedule.

"Inexperience on the field...Injuries...New coaching staff" - while these excuses were palatable in 2017 they lose their punch in 2018.

Relieved to see the turnover at Trinity. Haven't been competitive since 2012. Wishing nothing but the best in the hiring process...pretty sure it can only get better from here.
grassfield

New postby Big Eyed Fish on Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:01 pm

IDigClams wrote:How about other head or asst. coaches from surrounding D2 or D3 schools (Springfield, Endicot, AIC) or asst. coaches from nearby D1 schools (Yale, U-Hartford, Umass, Bryant, Providence, UMass, Quinnipiac, Fairfield)?

I'd imagine that Silberlicht (Bowdoin) and Mendoza (Amherst) would be fits there. Young, high energy, but veteran enough to be qualified. Both Have experience winning in the league. There are also many D1 coaches that would be qualified and interested. It's a pretty solid job, great for a young, talented and hungry coach's first job.
Big Eyed Fish

New postby Swiss Watch on Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:02 pm

grassfield wrote:The what if Tufts questions will persist with the new coaching staff until they accomplish something substantial. I can't imagine anyone inside or outside of that program being OK with losing four NESCAC games in a row. Tufts homers need to be real - they beat the teams they should have beaten and lost to every above average team on their schedule.

"Inexperience on the field...Injuries...New coaching staff" - while these excuses were palatable in 2017 they lose their punch in 2018.

Relieved to see the turnover at Trinity. Haven't been competitive since 2012. Wishing nothing but the best in the hiring process...pretty sure it can only get better from here.

I know they wanted folks that know the system but its highly unusual to have that little collective collegiate coaching experience on a staff of a national powerhouse. Let's hope they get it turned around in 2018.
Swiss Watch

New postby downthealley on Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:59 pm

I'd imagine that Silberlicht (Bowdoin) and Mendoza (Amherst) would be fits there. Young, high energy, but veteran enough to be qualified. Both Have experience winning in the league. There are also many D1 coaches that would be qualified and interested. It's a pretty solid job, great for a young, talented and hungry coach's first job

Silberlicht is leaving Bowdoin to join the Boston University staff.

https://www.collegecrosse.com/2017/7/17/15962664/assistant-coaching-carousel-high-point-georgetown-boston-university-binghamton-notre-dame-crawley
downthealley

New postby CTlaxhead on Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:57 pm

Yale's Andrew Stimmel......Trinity? :think:
CTlaxhead

New postby laxtuff on Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:25 pm

CTlaxhead, is Stimmel to Trinity for real? Or are you just throwing it out there for discussion?
laxtuff

New postby nyguy4444 on Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:12 am

Trinity makes a hire, and it's not Stimmel:

http://www.bantamsports.com/sports/mlax ... osse_11718
nyguy4444

New postby joe2123 on Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:13 pm

Is carbone returning for Tufts in 18'?
joe2123

New postby Big Eyed Fish on Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:24 pm

joe2123 wrote:Is carbone returning for Tufts in 18'?

No he graduated.
Big Eyed Fish

New postby artlax on Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:21 pm

grassfield wrote: Relieved to see the turnover at Trinity. Haven't been competitive since 2012. Wishing nothing but the best in the hiring process...pretty sure it can only get better from here.

So is your opinion that all of the coaches at Trinity were terrible and not worthy?

Guess we will see how much better it gets.
artlax

New postby Phella on Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:05 pm

I know Tufts fans are accustomed to the rarified air of Lacrosse, but a new coach will always have issues getting the team to play his brand of Lacrosse, Casey is no different. He will make Tufts competitive and turn into a great College coach, he just needs time. I have no skin in the game, so the emotional attachment is different and I am more forgiving of how he did in his first year. He and the team will make adjustments, and his recruiting seems strong, which Tufts has always had.
I say Casey did a solid job in his first year, there are just a lot of stacked teams in their way.
Phella

New postby Swiss Watch on Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:00 am

This is a really important year for the Tufts program. Some significant progress over last year's disappointing finish will have to occur else the program is in danger of backsliding (albeit from a high perch). Being a good or even great player often doesn't translate into being a great coach. Coaching (at any level) has a learning curve. Its tough not to be mentored (little collegiate coaching experience on staff) during the first couple of years at a new level. In the three games I watched last year, the staff struggled to make very obvious in game coaching adjustments. Hopefully the obligatory off season post mortem film study will provide clarity. Let's hope the program rebounds strongly in 2018.
Swiss Watch

New postby laxtuff on Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:18 am

On the other hand, it was nice to see some other teams besides Tufts do well in the NESCAC and make some noise in the NCAA tourney.

Wesleyan had a great year, and should be really good again in 2018. They have a big hole to fill in goal with their 1st team AA goalie graduating, but most other key players are returning.

Amherst fell apart towards the end of last season, especially defensively. But they should bounce back in 2018.

Middlebury was playing great the last few weeks of 2017 season and should carry that momentum into 2018.

Bates and Bowdoin graduated a lot of talent, but they should be pretty good next year too (great coaches).

Colby has a new coach and that alone should provide some lift to that team.

Can’t wait to hear how fall ball is going on all NESCAC campuses!
laxtuff

Sponsor

Next

Return to Men's - Division III