E8 2018

E8 2018

New postby richard on Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:02 pm

I'm looking forward to the coming season. Loosing Ithaca hurts. Stevens and Naz are still at the top but it looks like Wick is improving and should finish #3 with St J F, Utica and Alfred fighting for the fourth spot. Houghton and Elmira hopefully will improve. I hate seeing the lax in this league decline. Naz and Stevens get out and play great schedules it's tough for the others because there's no benefit for stronger teams to play them. The answer? Make yourselves better.

Go Wick
"I'm not lost, Kansas City's lost."- W.C. Fields
richard

Re: E8 2018

New postby laxrules on Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:15 am

The top 4 in E8 will most likely be Stevens, Naz, Fisher and Alfred, but Hartwick or Utica could sneak in the 4th spot.
This conference has taken a big hit with RIT and now Ithaca leaving. You replace those teams with houghton and sage?
laxrules

New postby richard on Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:25 am

Wick beat both Alfred and Fisher last year. Five of top seven scorers return along with their defense which was an improving defense. They have turned a corner and are still very young. I don't think they are ready for prime time yet but they can't be taken lightly.

Go Wick
richard

New postby laxtoesintolerant on Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:26 pm

Yes but Johnson is gone and Fisher has a new coach
laxtoesintolerant

New postby richard on Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:45 pm

And they did beat Naz last year.
richard

New postby idealtin on Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:44 am

richard- you sure do know how to hurt a guy :D Maybe this is the year that the wick does break thru, but gotta believe what toes said regarding Fisher with their new coach he should help the program as the talent level has been there. Sorry to see the Bombers leave, however kudos to them, (and may they miss the dance next year).
idealtin

New postby richard on Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:53 pm

Hartwick soccer going D3 despite being a funded program. Hobart you're next. Pissed. The board can't see the forest through the trees.
richard

New postby idealtin on Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:53 am

NAZ- Cortland game was to be played tomorrow (Friday) rescheduled to today at 4 weather related.

Richard- who's decision was that Wick or the NCAA?
idealtin

New postby richard on Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:15 am

It was a board decision driven probably by the president. The women's d1 water polo team is being dropped completely. I understand $$$ but several years ago after the NCAA issue the alumni ponied up to keep the program going. I guess that looking at those dollars was too much for the board and they figured they could steal it for use elsewhere. Sounds a lot like congress robbing social security. :roll:
richard

New postby bartsouth on Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:27 am

richard wrote:Hartwick soccer going D3 despite being a funded program. Hobart you're next. Pissed. The board can't see the forest through the trees.

Not going to happen, we went through this ten years ago and the constituency made its case. Hobart has a new president who’s very familiar with Hobarts relationship with dI lacrosse (Hartwick had nothing like the Cornell and cuse game, the former being the most played in collegiate history, we integrate the finger lakes Indian tribal communities into our program, etc) there will be a new AD at year end which will be someone who just made an odd transition, has been highly successful at another sport for two decades and fully understands Hobarts lacrosse history and relationships. Hopkins may be better but they don’t even have the same type of relationship to the game. DI until death will be the Hobart way. In the current landscape, I’m hoping for a quarterfinal appearance one day
bartsouth

New postby richard on Sun Mar 04, 2018 4:36 pm

It was somewhat of a knee jerk statement by me but there is truth in it. Hobart needs to make sure that d1 lacrosse remains ingrained in their culture. Hartwick which had an amazing soccer culture did not take care of it as they should have. Starting with president Dick Miller, who was on the Hobart board of trustees when they went through their issues and who was a McCardell supporter, and through the current presidents administration, soccer has taken a back seat despite making NCAA appearances three of the last ten years.

After the NCAA vote ten or so years ago Miller wanted to drop the d1 version but like at Hobart the alumni stepped up with their pocketbooks to the amount that was put before them. Now that means nothing.

It's a new world for small private liberal arts colleges in New York.

By the way you would be surprised at the similarities between Hobart lacrosse and Hartwick soccer. U.S. soccer is and has been littered with people with Hartwick connections and the community support for the team and vise versa has been very strong.
richard

New postby bartsouth on Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:18 pm

I grew up in Binghamton spent summers in Cooperstown and had family in Albany so somewhat familiar w Wick and not putting them down, but it’s a different school and a different situation. I have many friends who would be content w Bart moving back down but the institution is too invested in it so when I lived in DC or now atlanta people know the school bc of lacrosse, same w visiting my sister in the Bay Area. It’s a distinction the Centennial schools don’t have that some of the LL ones do providing a unique hook and something of national profile. But it ain’t happening. The BOT and pres Gearan at the time we’re sleeping at the switch, entrusted AD hanna too much (this was also around the time we caught sanctions in DB and Lax for small stuff and hit bc the dept hasn’t filed proper paperwork in 15yrs, subsequently we had to add a full time athletics compliance guy, total waste of dough. But that’s built in as really a lax opex line item now.
bartsouth

New postby richard on Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:40 pm

It all sounds similar to me, " sleeping at the switch". Wick didn't see or use the national exposure as a competitive advantage. They did beat USF for a national championship and can claim records vs Cornell, Colgate and Syracuse that are not even close. There is that but I sure do like the idea taking on the big boys and kicking their butts.

Best of luck getting to the quarters.
richard

New postby laxtoesintolerant on Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:33 pm

how irrelevant has the once proud E8 become. Idealtin and Richard arguing about soccer and Fisher now losing to Misericordia. So sad
laxtoesintolerant

New postby idealtin on Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:49 pm

Toes- I feel your pain, there is a lot more parity around D3 lacrosse and to put it bluntly Fisher really hasn't been a good program. There have been moments but they are very few and far between. If it makes you feel any better after watching NAZ play Brockport, and knowing what is ahead of them, it would not surprise me if their record is 1-9 before they play Elmira
idealtin

New postby laxtoesintolerant on Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:32 pm

Holy cow I hadn't looked at Naz's schedule that is going to be brutal. Fisher has been disappointing. From 2007 through 2011 Fisher had some of the best talent in the E8. It never resulted in a E8 championship. As you have noted being a good high school coach does not automatically translate into being a good college coach just as being a good youth coach does not always translate into being a good high school coach. In any event Fisher has been muddling through the last few years. Hopefully the new coach can breath life into SJFC. The first two games seemed to me to indicate that offensively Fisher was going to be more aggressive and allow players to attack when there is an unsettled situation regardless of when it presents itself. Hope that continues. As for Naz if it can win half the next few games particularly the one against Stevens they should be in good shape to take the E8
laxtoesintolerant

New postby idealtin on Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:28 am

Golden Flyers need this one vs Hamilton to build some confidence. F/O have been abysmal to put it mildly, defense and goalie play showed some improvement vs Lynchburg after the arse whooooping York put on them. get it together, then travel to Hoboken to fry some Duck. Good Luck!
idealtin

New postby laxtoesintolerant on Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:42 am

should be a good game between the Wick and Fisher. Hartwick is much improved and the new coaching at Fisher has allowed players to attack the crease (even d middies on a fast break I can only imagine what this would have done for the 2009 -2011 teams) in any event today's game probably will determine a playoff spot. Stevens and Naz at the top and Fisher Alfred and Hartwick playing for 3 and 4. Will miss Coach B for Hartwick truly a unique character.
laxtoesintolerant

New postby laxtoesintolerant on Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:47 am

Almost forgot to wish Tin good luck with another great E8 game against
Stevens Naz has had a brutal schedule but that 's what makes them tough when the E8 starts
laxtoesintolerant

New postby richard on Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:02 am

It's been a while since Wick has had an early season game with any meaning. As you said it should be a good one at " The Cage ". Wick defense has looked good the last two games. Hopefully the offense gets it rolling.

Go Wick!
richard

Sponsor

Next

Return to Men's - Division III