Coaching Changes 2018

Re: Coaching Changes 2018

New postby Middkid on Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:47 am

suthunlax wrote:Babson is an exceptional school with a relatively narrow academic focus. For those interested in pursuing business/entrepreneurship, it provides opportunities/connections typically not available to undergraduates. It is an undergraduate business school, not a liberal arts college. Its academic focus limits its recruit pool to those with the requisite academic chops and an interest in business. That said, I must admit that I, too, am surprised they haven't developed further than they already have. Do they have reasonable financial/merit aid? They have had nationally ranked teams in several sports over the years and won the D3 national men's basketball title last year. Their ice hockey program is a perennial D3 contender, too.

A few thoughts here. First, let's give Coach Gorman his due. He has the best winning percentage of Babson Coaches. He makes the league playoffs and has the Beavers playing in championship games. He has won the regular season title twice. He has coached the leading score in program history. He has coached an all American. He has had a league rookie of the year, and lots of league all league players. I would argue that the team has recruited some good talent- it is deeper now than when he took over. He has strengthened the OOC schedule and beaten good teams. Clearly, he made the program better.

However, he has been at Babson 8 years. The question is not has he made it better; rather the question is whether it is continuing to improve. The answer is mixed. Yes, he beat Springfield in the regular season and lost in OT in the playoffs. So, those are impressive performances. Yet, Babson had to have a huge come from behind win against CG a couple of years ago to make the playoffs, and they lost this year when a win would have given them the outright league regular season title. It feels like the team has plateaued, even as others like CG have improved.

Babson should be a great destination for recruiting. From an academic perspective, it has been the #1 school for entrepreneurship for 25 straight years (according to US News and World reports). Many students at other programs major in business (or, if liberal arts, economics) and go into business upon graduating. So, the business environment should attract as many as it repels. Geographically, it is in the greater Boston area, and Wellesley is a lot nicer community than the locations of other top D3 programs. So, location may not be the issue. Babson has a very diverse community (it may be the most international of any D3 lax school, although I do not know that for a fact), so that is not a barrier. A lot of the top prep schools in the area (ISL and Founders League) should know Babson, and would be happy to have their players who do not go D1 go to a school like Babson. New England now has a lot of target rich HS lax programs and players The program now has a history of competing (Thanks Coach Gorman), so that is not a barrier.

What, then, is the issue? I have a hypothesis. It is that the program does not have the same preparedness as top D3 programs. It does not scout other teams to the extent that other programs do. It does not have the same off-season conditioning programs that other programs do. It does not X and O a game as well as other programs do.

Gorman did a good job getting the program turned around and competitive. The person who needs to get it to the next level has some real assets to build on, and a few they things that can be done to lift the program to that next level. The future should be bright for the Beavers.

Again, Thanks Coach Gorman. You were an important part of Babson Lax. I wish you well in your next position.
Middkid

New postby sguy9 on Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:42 pm

sguy9

New postby Raiders37 on Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:07 pm

And another...18 months in the making

http://www.illinoistechathletics.com/sp ... 0606n8fllo
Raiders37

New postby laxmarmot on Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:45 pm

Nice move by Ill. Tech. landing an experienced coach from the SAA. Centre needs to work quickly to replace and support the program so not to loose any incoming or existing players during the interim. Good luck in your new home Coach Sharbaugh.
Your Preparation of today Determines your Achievements of Tomorrow
laxmarmot

New postby sguy9 on Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:52 am

sguy9

New postby murraythecop on Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:17 pm

Middkid wrote:
suthunlax wrote:Babson is an exceptional school with a relatively narrow academic focus. For those interested in pursuing business/entrepreneurship, it provides opportunities/connections typically not available to undergraduates. It is an undergraduate business school, not a liberal arts college. Its academic focus limits its recruit pool to those with the requisite academic chops and an interest in business. That said, I must admit that I, too, am surprised they haven't developed further than they already have. Do they have reasonable financial/merit aid? They have had nationally ranked teams in several sports over the years and won the D3 national men's basketball title last year. Their ice hockey program is a perennial D3 contender, too.

A few thoughts here. First, let's give Coach Gorman his due. He has the best winning percentage of Babson Coaches. He makes the league playoffs and has the Beavers playing in championship games. He has won the regular season title twice. He has coached the leading score in program history. He has coached an all American. He has had a league rookie of the year, and lots of league all league players. I would argue that the team has recruited some good talent- it is deeper now than when he took over. He has strengthened the OOC schedule and beaten good teams. Clearly, he made the program better.

owever, he has been at Babson 8 years. The question is not has he made it better; rather the question is whether it is continuing to improve. The answer is mixed. Yes, he beat Springfield in the regular season and lost in OT in the playoffs. So, those are impressive performances. Yet, Babson had to have a huge come from behind win against CG a couple of years ago to make the playoffs, and they lost this year when a win would have given them the outright league regular season title. It feels like the team has plateaued, even as others like CG have improved.

Babson should be a great destination for recruiting. From an academic perspective, it has been the #1 school for entrepreneurship for 25 straight years (according to US News and World reports). Many students at other programs major in business (or, if liberal arts, economics) and go into business upon graduating. So, the business environment should attract as many as it repels. Geographically, it is in the greater Boston area, and Wellesley is a lot nicer community than the locations of other top D3 programs. So, location may not be the issue. Babson has a very diverse community (it may be the most international of any D3 lax school, although I do not know that for a fact), so that is not a barrier. A lot of the top prep schools in the area (ISL and Founders League) should know Babson, and would be happy to have their players who do not go D1 go to a school like Babson. New England now has a lot of target rich HS lax programs and players The program now has a history of competing (Thanks Coach Gorman), so that is not a barrier.

What, then, is the issue? I have a hypothesis. It is that the program does not have the same preparedness as top D3 programs. It does not scout other teams to the extent that other programs do. It does not have the same off-season conditioning programs that other programs do. It does not X and O a game as well as other programs do.

Gorman did a good job getting the program turned around and competitive. The person who needs to get it to the next level has some real assets to build on, and a few they things that can be done to lift the program to that next level. The future should be bright for the Beavers.

Again, Thanks Coach Gorman. You were an important part of Babson Lax. I wish you well in your next position.

So did Gorman jump or was he pushed?
murraythecop

New postby Hamburg33 on Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:14 am

Hamburg33

New postby LaxGiraffe on Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:46 am

LaxGiraffe

New postby Switzerland on Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:23 pm

Unfortunately, add Montclair State to the list.
Switzerland

New postby BostonLaxBeat on Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:41 pm

Terribly sad news out of Montclair State. Seemed like Schambach was very well liked. Heart goes out to the players and staff still around that team.
BostonLaxBeat

New postby Middkid on Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:22 pm

murraythecop wrote:
Middkid wrote:

owever, he has been at Babson 8 years. The question is not has he made it better; rather the question is whether it is continuing to improve. The answer is mixed. Yes, he beat Springfield in the regular season and lost in OT in the playoffs. So, those are impressive performances. Yet, Babson had to have a huge come from behind win against CG a couple of years ago to make the playoffs, and they lost this year when a win would have given them the outright league regular season title. It feels like the team has plateaued, even as others like CG have improved.

So did Gorman jump or was he pushed?

Not sure; however, if he was counselled out and wants to stay in coaching he should land soon.
Middkid

New postby nosy ned on Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:06 pm

BostonLaxBeat wrote:Terribly sad news out of Montclair State. Seemed like Schambach was very well liked. Heart goes out to the players and staff still around that team.

I too add my condolences to the Schambach family and MSU lacrosse team. News such as this should give us all pause and reflection of how trivial most of what we debate/argue over on these threads truly is.
nosy ned

New postby sguy9 on Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:01 pm

So sad, praying for coaches family.

Skidmore - done, announcement soon. Interesting route here.
Babson - getting close
RPI - Collecting apps
Vassar - still wondering how they lost their coach to a state school?
Ursinus - not posted yet
Guilford - Been a while with nothing...

Others?
sguy9

New postby kpratness003 on Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:48 pm

Where has anyone seen an announcement about RPI, or a job posting?

And Re: Vassar - Marc is a CT native and I think wanted to be back closer to home. Eastern job pays very well with state benefits, recruiting load is greatly reduced compared to a private liberal arts school, and the program has a fantastic history.
kpratness003

New postby almostbaldeagle on Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:40 pm

Looks as if Inside Lacrosse may have inadvertently announced the Skidmore Job.

http://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/a ... ates/52591
almostbaldeagle

New postby Steve Perry on Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:37 pm

sguy9 wrote:So sad, praying for coaches family.

Others?

That definitely looks interesting on the surface, but I wonder what the final pool looked like given everything considered. He could be a "D3 guy at heart". He played at WNEC and got down to UNC as a DOLO (possibly after Coach Toomey, another Golden Bear, left to go to Colgate).
Steve Perry

New postby D3fanguy1975 on Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:41 am

sguy9 wrote:So sad, praying for coaches family.

Babson - getting close
RPI - Collecting apps
Vassar - still wondering how they lost their coach to a state school?
Ursinus - not posted yet
Guilford - Been a while with nothing...

Others?

Guilford has to hire an AD first...... I assume they ride the interim until next summer and go from there.
D3fanguy1975

New postby sguy9 on Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:09 am

Guilford has to hire an AD first...... I assume they ride the interim until next summer and go from there.

Good point. I've heard the AD process is moving along well. Does current interim have a shot at HC?
sguy9

New postby LazyLightning on Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:51 am

SKIDMORE NAMES JOE MARTIN HEAD MEN’S LACROSSE COACH

http://www.skidmoreathletics.com/news/2 ... coach.aspx
Been talking a lot about less and less...
LazyLightning

New postby NJLaxCoach27 on Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:45 am

Add Frostburg St. To the list. NCAA Marketplace has the position posted:
https://ncaamarket.ncaa.org/jobs/11197805
NJLaxCoach27

Sponsor

PreviousNext

Return to Men's - Division III