MLL Expansion

MLL, NLL, international lacrosse, and world championships

MLL Expansion

New postby Wonderlax on Fri May 29, 2009 10:37 am

Just figured I'd have a little fun at work and submit some cities (and potential team names) that I'd like to see jump into the MLL once a solid group of owners has come forward.

Here we go...feel free to throw your ideas around as well...

Hartford, CT
1. Hartford Rivermen
2. Connecticut Patriots
3. Connecticut Stars
4. Hartford Riverhawks
5. Connecticut Moose
6. Connecticut Gamblers

St. Louis, MO
1. St. Louis Monsters
2. Missouri Mud Dogs
3. St. Louis Rippers

Brooklyn, NY
1. Brooklyn Aeros
2. Brooklyn Wanderers

Cary, NC
1. North Carolina Flyers

Among others...
Tampa, FL
Jacksonville, FL
Dallas, TX
Cincinatti, OH
Manchester, NH
Albany, NY
Virginia Beach, VA
Wonderlax

Re: MLL Expansion

New postby imp on Fri May 29, 2009 10:40 am

Wonderlax wrote: . . .
Brooklyn, NY
1. Brooklyn Aeros
2. Brooklyn Wanderers . . .

is it too obvious?
the brooklyn dodgers
8)
nach an bhrèagha latha airson tewaaraton?
isn't it a lovely day for lacrosse?
imp

Location: playing devil's advocate from the chaos of the peoples' republic of massachusetts

New postby Baldo on Fri May 29, 2009 10:42 am

imp wrote:
Brooklyn, NY
1. Brooklyn Aeros

is it too obvious?
the brooklyn dodgers
8)

I believe that name is still copyrighted (by the Los Angeles Dodgers organization if you can believe it).
"If you come to a fork in the road, take it"
- Yogi Berra
Baldo
Site Admin

New postby imp on Fri May 29, 2009 10:46 am

Baldo wrote:
imp wrote:
Brooklyn, NY
1. Brooklyn Aeros

is it too obvious?
the brooklyn dodgers
8)

I believe that name is still copyrighted (by the Los Angeles Dodgers organization if you can believe it).
i can believe it. :roll:
nach an bhrèagha latha airson tewaaraton?
isn't it a lovely day for lacrosse?
imp

Location: playing devil's advocate from the chaos of the peoples' republic of massachusetts

California Bodybyjakers

New postby baggataboy on Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:01 am

Can keep the name when relocating intrastate.
"Where would this college be without (lacrosse)? Have we got a stadium? Have we got a college? Well, we can't support both. Tomorrow we start tearing down the college."

Groucho Marx, Honorary Chair, HWS BoT (1932)
baggataboy

New postby fredo on Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:45 am

imp wrote:
Brooklyn, NY
1. Brooklyn Aeros

is it too obvious?
the brooklyn dodgers
8)

I always thought the Brooklyn Eagles wold be a great name, after the old newspaper.
fredo

Re: MLL Expansion?NOT

New postby dee man on Wed Jun 03, 2009 2:20 pm

The MLL will lucky to be around next year. No need to talk about expansion
dee man

Re: MLL Expansion?NOT

New postby clublax on Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:05 pm

dee man wrote:The MLL will lucky to be around next year. No need to talk about expansion

Broken record. This has been said for the last 8-9 years and guess what, the league hasn't gone anywhere. Even if they stay at 6 teams, its fine, just get these 6 healthy. I think they will expand next year to 1 city at least.
clublax

New postby bigdave on Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:41 pm

I wouldn't expect to see any expansion until the economy is healthy. I don't think that will happen in time to get new teams lined up for next season.
bigdave

New postby coachsteve on Fri Jun 05, 2009 7:34 am

My son and his buddies went to the Bayhawks/Toronto game last night, and in his words "it was the greatest lacrosse game I've ever seen". For pure entertainment value, I think they deliver a great, action packed product, and I hope more people catch on. My son just finished a season that started last October with preseason workouts, lifting, tournaments etc., and I fully expected him to be burned out. Couldn't be further from the truth, he's out shooting in the rain today. Navy-Marine corps stadium is a great venue, and I just wanted to comment on what a blast it was. Maybe the purists will argue, but they still wear bucket helmets, so what do they know???....
coachsteve

New postby MTLax505 on Fri Jun 05, 2009 11:48 am

Tampa, Fl doesn't have the lacrosse community to sustain a team there. Orlando on the other hand, would be awesome and I believe could keep a team. I would be the first in line to buy season tickets. I don't have any ideas on a name though, although we use to have an AHL team (or maybe ECHL) name the Solar Bears, which was cool. Plus Disney has a ton of fields that they could play on or build a lax specific stadium. Plus, Disney owns ESPN, who broadcasts MLL games.
Mike Tobin
Olympia Girls Assistant Coach
MTLax505

New postby wolveslax44 on Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:05 am

I dont care about any of the other expansions but the expansion to Denver was the best thing the MLL has ever done since existence. The outlaws are making record crowds every year and putting a high quality team on the field year in and year out. No championship but id say one of the MLLs greatest franchises. The outlaws have been to 2 championship games and have probably every single one of the MLLs Top 15 attendance records if not the Top 20. Overall the Denver Outlaws= Great expansion. Maybe some of these other cities can be too but we wont know tell we try. :text-freedom:
wolveslax44

New postby Coach McD on Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:58 am

In order to breed the expansion, exposure needs to come first. ESPN has the ability to broadcast MANY more games than they currently do, and at every level. Poker needs it's own ESPNp or something. By that logic, lacrosse COULD have it's own ESPNlax too. But, for now, playing college or pro lax at least 100% more of the time they do now would get things going.

Another thing that would help, in my opinion, would be for the stadiums to allow patrons to move down closer to the field after halftime. Ths will make the fans attending the games happy and will give the illusion of a "packed house" on TV. We know how people always want to be where "everyone is". Well, if they could "show" that everyone is at the MLL game, they'd sell more tickets.

I understand that the stadiums don't want to lose revenue from the seats closer to the field. People would buy the cheaper seats, watch the 1st half from up high, then move down (I know I would...). But for now wouldn't the owners rather 100% of something rather than 100% of nothing? Not to mention the added concession sales.

In times like this, you have to look at it from a semi-long term growth perspective. Take a litte less money now for a lot more money later.
Head Coach
LSU Women's Lacrosse

twitter.com/CoachCaseyMcD
Instagram: @coachcaseymcdonald & @lsuwomenslax
Coach McD

New postby watchdog on Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:17 am

Coach McD wrote:In order to breed the expansion, exposure needs to come first. ESPN has the ability to broadcast MANY more games than they currently do, and at every level. Poker needs it's own ESPNp or something. By that logic, lacrosse COULD have it's own ESPNlax too. But, for now, playing college or pro lax at least 100% more of the time they do now would get things going.

Another thing that would help, in my opinion, would be for the stadiums to allow patrons to move down closer to the field after halftime. Ths will make the fans attending the games happy and will give the illusion of a "packed house" on TV. We know how people always want to be where "everyone is". Well, if they could "show" that everyone is at the MLL game, they'd sell more tickets.

I understand that the stadiums don't want to lose revenue from the seats closer to the field. People would buy the cheaper seats, watch the 1st half from up high, then move down (I know I would...). But for now wouldn't the owners rather 100% of something rather than 100% of nothing? Not to mention the added concession sales.

In times like this, you have to look at it from a semi-long term growth perspective. Take a litte less money now for a lot more money later.

Comments on a couple of points :

1 ) ESPN will broadcast anything is sports if it will get ratings ! Ratings mean advertisers and advertisers mean $$$$$$$.
When you have a league that for the most part will only allow the Company's that have an interest in the league ( Brine, Warrior, New Balance ) be involved you have limited souses of income. During a televised game count how many commercials art something other then the 3 companies I have listed above and BUD Lite !

2) In most games I have been to you can sit wherever you want.

Lastly I spoke to "the Commis " Dave Gross and he told me there would be no expansion in 2010 ! I guess we will have to wait and see
watchdog

New postby nnylaxer70 on Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:59 am

St Louis Tow Boats
Virginia Beach Hang Tens
Albany Taxers (I used to live in NY)
Brooklyn Bums
Pittsburg Pit Bulls
1-LOVE
nnylaxer70

New postby Coach McD on Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:04 pm

watchdog wrote:
Coach McD wrote:In order to breed the expansion, exposure needs to come first. ESPN has the ability to broadcast MANY more games than they currently do, and at every level. Poker needs it's own ESPNp or something. By that logic, lacrosse COULD have it's own ESPNlax too. But, for now, playing college or pro lax at least 100% more of the time they do now would get things going.

Comments on a couple of points :
1 ) ESPN will broadcast anything is sports if it will get ratings ! Ratings mean advertisers and advertisers mean $$$$$$$.
When you have a league that for the most part will only allow the Company's that have an interest in the league ( Brine, Warrior, New Balance ) be involved you have limited souses of income. During a televised game count how many commercials art something other then the 3 companies I have listed above and BUD Lite
2) In most games I have been to you can sit wherever you want.
Lastly I spoke to "the Commis " Dave Gross and he told me there would be no expansion in 2010 ! I guess we will have to wait and see

How dare you misspell Bud Light...ha!

I agree with you on both points. I have only been to 2 MLL games (it's a long way to travel from the South) & I guess I crossed paths with the stadium ushers that just weren't having good days/nights. Glad to hear they let you sit wherever mostly.
Head Coach
LSU Women's Lacrosse

twitter.com/CoachCaseyMcD
Instagram: @coachcaseymcdonald & @lsuwomenslax
Coach McD

New postby PSWaters on Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:33 pm

CHARLOTTE, NC – January 22, 2011 - Charlotte, NC will be home to an expansion Major League Lacrosse franchise in 2012, it was announced by MLL Commissioner David Gross. The as yet unnamed franchise is joining the league in conjunction with a Columbus, OH expansion franchise. They will represent the league’s 7th and 8th teams respectively. Both teams will begin play in the spring of 2012. http://www.foxcharlotte.com/news/nc-new ... 90504.html

I think these are two good choices.
PSWaters

New postby PSWaters on Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:42 pm

Here is a news release from 2010: "Major League Lacrosse plans to announce in February the addition of two new teams that would begin play in the 2012 season, and league commissioner David Gross said it is "in the bank" that the league will also add two teams for 2013. The expansion would return the outdoor pro league to the 10-team size it enjoyed before a four-team contraction prior to the 2009 season.
The locations of the new teams were not disclosed, but Gross said Wednesday they would most likely be in the eastern or southern parts of the country, not the West Coast.
MLL has identified 19 markets in which it has interest, including: Atlanta, Columbus (Ohio), Dallas, Houston, Indianapolis, Miami, Minneapolis, Nashville (Tenn.), Orange County (Calif.), Orlando (Fla.), Pittsburgh, Raleigh-Durham (N.C.), Salt Lake City and Virginia Beach (Va.). The league has also examined the possibility of a team in either Portland, Ore., or Seattle." http://laxmagazine.com/mll/2010-11/news ... ioner_says

There is no talk about Brooklyn. Besides, there is really no stadiums for them the play at, it is to close to Long Island and there is no fan base. It would be a good idea to look at cities that have “new” Major League Soccer stadiums. Those stadiums are smaller then football stadiums with about 20k capacity instead of 80k for football. That allows a better feel for the fans and teams alike.

Maybe back to LA. The LA Riptide was owned by the Anschutz Entertainment Group which also owns Los Angeles Galaxy of MLS. Other cities that have soccer-specific stadium are the Columbus Crew Stadium, FC Dallas in Pizza Hut Park, Chicago in Toyota Park, Colorado Rapids in Dick's Sporting Goods Park, Toronto FC in BMO Field, Rio Tinto Stadium for Real Salt Lake, Red Bull Arena in New Jersey for the New York Red Bills and PPL Park for the Philadelphia Union. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Major_League_Soccer

Other stadiums are currently under construction. In 2011, Sporting Kansas City are expected to move into their new stadium, and the Portland Timbers hope to make their MLS debut in a newly renovated PGE Park.

So from the sites that MLL mentioned, Columbus, Salt Lake City, Dallas and Houston have new soccer stadiums that would provide the good home. I would think Columbus and Salt Lake City would be best since they do not have Major League Baseball. When their soccer teams are on the road there is only minor league baseball in town, and even then they may to be also on the road. That allows media coverage which is very important.
Columbus actually has a larger population [711,470] then Cleveland [478,403] and Cincinnati [331,285] and it is close to the heart of where Lacrosse was born. After the success of Denver, could it be replicated in SLC? Again, no Major League Baseball.
I think Portland, Seattle and Red Bulls stadium in New Jersey would be other good options.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Ma ... r_stadiums
PSWaters

Sponsor

Return to Men's - Pro and International