USA 2010 Men's team

MLL, NLL, international lacrosse, and world championships

USA 2010 Men's team

New postby upstatelaxfan on Sun Sep 27, 2009 7:07 pm

US Mens Team looked great at West Point yesterday. Was a fun day of Lax good weather for the most part at a setting I Love. Glad I am not the one who has to cut this team to 23. A couple of notes no Brooks or Corp at scrim and Dixon and Spallina back. US looks good thinking about slumming it at Naval Academy in a couple of weeks
upstatelaxfan

Re: USA 2010 Men's team

New postby Firestarter33 on Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:46 pm

I knew Kyle Dixon had to get another shot at making the team.
Firestarter33

New postby NoLeft on Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:28 pm

Yesterday the USA team played at Annapolis. If anyone saw the games/scrimmages how 'bout
some comments on the team....
:)
Bibo, ergo sum
NoLeft

New postby upstatelaxfan on Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:58 pm

Watched Blue team 2 games White team 1 game. Amazing every time you check a# on the roster there is a lax legend next to it. As far as weather I felt like I was back in upstate NY watching high school pretty raw and damp. First game against Md the Terps hung fairly close in 1st half but either ran out of gas or were looking at some younger/lesser players in 2nd half. Attack Mundorf was incredible scoring 5 or 6 goals (an announcer and scoreboard would have helped) Westervelt and Boyle also stood out. All three played real well against Va in second game. Middie Dixon outstanding both games I Think Abbott played for Blue but even if it was white he impressed with speed and several scores. Lpm Sweeney looked very good and Martin I think played some Lpm and close D scored and was Very Impressive. Close D Reid and Spallina both looked good. Goal Doc looked OK 2nd game Fullerton looked very good also looked very solid playing 1/3 of 2nd Md game with white only got to see Jarboe for a third of 2nd Md game he looked pretty good Fullerton appears to be the best of clearer's by quite a bit. He uses a fake pass that gets players and fans alike both times he used it. If the refs are also competing the ones that did the Va game were pretty bad and 1 sided. Only penalty I remember against Va was when a player whacked Westervelt over the head with his stick they called unsportsmanlike on both players missed to many men on the field for Va several times and to many other blown calls to mention. If they were trying to show the Us team what it would be like to play a game with hostile refs they succeeded. Overall they STUNK. I know the international rules are different but a slash is a slash too many men on the field speaks for itself. Blue played at least 1 man down most of the game. Good news they got to work a lot on man-down d. Saw white team play 2nd Md game was closer than 1st but US still handled them pretty well attack Powell looked very good Middie Rabil most likely most talented player on field and thats a pretty good field. I was told Cassese played Navy very well. D Zink and Driscoll looked good. Before I forget Seibald was also a monster for blue. Both Smith and Eck dominated the X and problems from last world games should be answered. Overall while the weather reminded me of an upstate NY HS lax game the play on the field sure didn't. Md looked very good and SU should as usual have their hands full with Va gotta believe they are 1of the top teams in country. Now while I am sure I have missed some key players overall I felt Blue att and White Mids stood out. I am going to bed got in at 2am and worked tdy lotta driving and I don't think I am as young as I used to be. :D
Glad I don't have to make final cuts but boy I'd like to coach a team with any team they end up with
upstatelaxfan

New postby capecodlaxref on Tue Oct 20, 2009 3:24 am

"If the refs are also competing the ones that did the Va game were pretty bad and 1 sided. Only penalty I remember against Va was when a player whacked Westervelt over the head with his stick they called unsportsmanlike on both players missed to many men on the field for Va several times and to many other blown calls to mention. If they were trying to show the Us team what it would be like to play a game with hostile refs they succeeded. Overall they STUNK."

In regards to the last game with Virginia, the officials (myself included) agreed that it was not our best game. We were tired and cold after having run the previous two games and it led to us being a bit unfocused. It is also very difficult to officiate a game with a college team vs. an team playing with international rules. The college teams are not used to a tightly called international style and we tried to take that into consideration.

When we headed to the locker room, we all we in unison saying that we should have been better.
MC
Twitter - @capecodlaxref
capecodlaxref

New postby crlax on Sun Nov 01, 2009 8:39 pm

Any speculation on who made the men's team? Final selection was today.

upstatelaxfan wrote:Watched Blue team 2 games White team 1 game. Amazing every time you check a# on the roster there is a lax legend next to it. As far as weather I felt like I was back in upstate NY watching high school pretty raw and damp. First game against Md the Terps hung fairly close in 1st half but either ran out of gas or were looking at some younger/lesser players in 2nd half. Attack Mundorf was incredible scoring 5 or 6 goals (an announcer and scoreboard would have helped) Westervelt and Boyle also stood out. All three played real well against Va in second game. Middie Dixon outstanding both games I Think Abbott played for Blue but even if it was white he impressed with speed and several scores. Lpm Sweeney looked very good and Martin I think played some Lpm and close D scored and was Very Impressive. Close D Reid and Spallina both looked good. Goal Doc looked OK 2nd game Fullerton looked very good also looked very solid playing 1/3 of 2nd Md game with white only got to see Jarboe for a third of 2nd Md game he looked pretty good Fullerton appears to be the best of clearer's by quite a bit. He uses a fake pass that gets players and fans alike both times he used it. If the refs are also competing the ones that did the Va game were pretty bad and 1 sided. Only penalty I remember against Va was when a player whacked Westervelt over the head with his stick they called unsportsmanlike on both players missed to many men on the field for Va several times and to many other blown calls to mention. If they were trying to show the Us team what it would be like to play a game with hostile refs they succeeded. Overall they STUNK. I know the international rules are different but a slash is a slash too many men on the field speaks for itself. Blue played at least 1 man down most of the game. Good news they got to work a lot on man-down d. Saw white team play 2nd Md game was closer than 1st but US still handled them pretty well attack Powell looked very good Middie Rabil most likely most talented player on field and thats a pretty good field. I was told Cassese played Navy very well. D Zink and Driscoll looked good. Before I forget Seibald was also a monster for blue. Both Smith and Eck dominated the X and problems from last world games should be answered. Overall while the weather reminded me of an upstate NY HS lax game the play on the field sure didn't. Md looked very good and SU should as usual have their hands full with Va gotta believe they are 1of the top teams in country. Now while I am sure I have missed some key players overall I felt Blue att and White Mids stood out. I am going to bed got in at 2am and worked tdy lotta driving and I don't think I am as young as I used to be. :D
Glad I don't have to make final cuts but boy I'd like to coach a team with any team they end up with
crlax

New postby watchdog on Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:39 am

WOW !!!! A lot of questions about these selections. Looks like they went with big physical middies (except for Zash and Striebel ) No Walters, Harrison, or Berger tells me they think they have enough scoring with Dixon and Rabil. Attack would be tough to cut no matter who. Every one of the guys out there could have made it. I am suprised that both Leveilles did not make it D ?? No Polanco ? No Zink ? Looks like they went with athleticism and versatility over muscle. Martin, Driscoll and Sweeney can run with anybody. Nads can play short stick, long pole and close. Goalie, Fullerton is a suprise. Smith at face off. He has good numbers vs Snyder, Peyser is a good backup ! All in all you could not go wrong with any one of the final 41. It was just a matter of what you were looking for. Now they have to gel !!
watchdog

US Lacrosse Announces 2010 U.S. Men's National Team

New postby DakotaDan on Mon Nov 02, 2009 12:20 pm

BALTIMORE -- US Lacrosse announced Monday the final roster for the 2010 U.S. men's national team. The training team roster of 41 was narrowed down to the Federation of International Lacrosse (FIL)-mandated size of 23 players after three fall exhibition weekends in West Point, N.Y., Annapolis, Md. and Stony Brook, N.Y. All 23 players, selected by the coaching staff, will compete in the FIL World Championship in Manchester, England from July 14-24, 2010.

"I want to congratulate the entire pool of players on their efforts, attitude and stellar play over three tremendous weekends this fall," said Team USA head coach Mike Pressler. "Without question, this was the best way to go in this thorough and, at times, exhausting process. We feel these 23 men give us the best chance to win the gold at the 2010 world championship in Manchester."

Pressler added, "I want to thank all 41 players for their professionalism, their attention to detail and their sacrifice. We took these guys away from their families, jobs and children to compete in three additional weekends that have never been done before. Speaking for our coaching staff, we are very grateful to each of them for all their efforts."

"We are extremely pleased with the selection process," said Howie Borkan, chair of the US Lacrosse men's national teams committee. "The tryouts, the fall clinics and games have been well received and have provided the coaching staff with the opportunity to select the best team possible."

The 2010 U.S. men's national team includes five members of the 2006 U.S. men's team that finished as runner-up to Canada at the world championship: Ryan Boyle, Kevin Cassese, Ryan Powell, Matt Striebel and Kyle Sweeney. Boyle, Cassese and Striebel were also members of the gold medal-winning 2002 U.S. men's team.

Since the first recognized international championship in 1967, the U.S. has won eight gold medals, most recently in 2002.

The team's first appearance together will be at the 2010 US Lacrosse National Convention in Baltimore, Md., Jan. 15-17, followed by their first on-field competition together at the 2010 Champion Challenge at Disney's Wide World of Sports in Orlando, Fla. against Duke and Army, Jan. 30-31.

2010 U.S. Men's National Team

A Ryan Boyle - Boston Cannons (Princeton '04)
M Kevin Cassese � Boston Cannons (Duke '03)
D Joe Cinosky � Toronto Nationals (Maryland '08)
M/A Ned Crotty � Duke '09
M Kyle Dixon � Washington Bayhawks (Virginia '06)
G Brian Dougherty � Long Island Lizards (Maryland '96)
D DJ Driscoll � Chicago Machine (Notre Dame '06)
G Adam Fullerton � Denver Outlaws (Army '08)
A Mike Leveille � Chicago Machine (Syracuse '08)
D Eric Martin � Denver Outlaws (Salisbury '04)
D Ryan McClay � Boston Cannons (Cornell '03)
A Brendan Mundorf � Denver Outlaws (UMBC '06)
D Shawn Nadelen � Washington Bayhawks (Johns Hopkins '01)
M Stephen Peyser � Long Island Lizards (Johns Hopkins '08)
A Ryan Powell � Big Foot LC (Syracuse '00)
M Paul Rabil � Boston Cannons (Johns Hopkins '08)
M Chris Schiller - Sailin' Shoe LC (Penn State '99)
M Max Seibald � Denver Outlaws (Cornell '09)
M Alex Smith � Washington Bayhawks (Delaware '07)
M Matt Striebel � Chicago Machine (Princeton '01)
D Kyle Sweeney � Boston Cannons (Georgetown '03)
A Drew Westervelt � Denver Outlaws (UMBC '07)
M Matt Zash � Long Island Lizards (Duke '06)
DakotaDan
Site Admin

New postby Tecumseh on Wed Nov 04, 2009 11:59 am

watchdog wrote:WOW !!!! A lot of questions about these selections. Looks like they went with big physical middies (except for Zash and Striebel ) No Walters, Harrison, or Berger tells me they think they have enough scoring with Dixon and Rabil. Attack would be tough to cut no matter who. Every one of the guys out there could have made it. I am suprised that both Leveilles did not make it D ?? No Polanco ? No Zink ? Looks like they went with athleticism and versatility over muscle. Martin, Driscoll and Sweeney can run with anybody. Nads can play short stick, long pole and close. Goalie, Fullerton is a suprise. Smith at face off. He has good numbers vs Snyder, Peyser is a good backup ! All in all you could not go wrong with any one of the final 41. It was just a matter of what you were looking for. Now they have to gel !!

The Fullerton pick is a shock to this humble observer ! Having watched several of the tryouts and all the games , 2 weeks ago at NAVY , this pick appears political at best ! No doubt that Fullerton was a good player at Army and as made some appearances for Denver of the MLL but not taking Jarboe is an insult at many levels. Coach Alberici won a huge PR bonanza for his program at Jarboe's expense. Yes , I'm biased, but I'm not blind. Mickey won a couple of Kelly awards , 1st Team AA , MLL awards for the Riptide for several years in a row and the list goes on. Mickey also completely out played Fullerton at the tryouts and the games we all witnessed at Navy. I just remain very disappointed that Pressler let this happen. Simple proof that loyalties to old coaching pals and former programs was a stronger driver than picking the best goalie to back up Doc .

Very disillusioned with this news. Casts a cloud on the integrity of the whole selection process.

"T"
"We are determined to defend our lands and, if it be the "Great Spirits" will, we wish to leave our bones upon them."
Tecumseh, Shawnee Chief 1813
Tecumseh

New postby NoLeft on Thu Nov 05, 2009 8:43 am

Who are the FO's? How good are they? IMHO, that's the key to the championship.
Bibo, ergo sum
NoLeft

New postby wheniwasakid... on Thu Nov 05, 2009 2:48 pm

NoLeft wrote:Who are the FO's? How good are they? IMHO, that's the key to the championship.

I mean Smith is pretty good. haha. maybe the best ever and Peyser has actually turned into a great F/O guy. In the NLL some teams basically just conceded the f/o to him. all that really matters is how they match up with Snider of Canada. and both will do ok although I expect Smith to get the majority of the reps.
"We are monkeys with money and guns"
-Tom Waits
www.lacrosseallstars.com
wheniwasakid...

New postby Graves9 on Thu Nov 05, 2009 7:15 pm

Crotty over Danowski ???????????????
Explain that to me!
Graves9

New postby wheniwasakid... on Thu Nov 05, 2009 7:56 pm

GRAVES9 wrote:Crotty over Danowski ???????????????
Explain that to me!

very different players in very different roles. simple and true.
-Tom Waits
www.lacrosseallstars.com
wheniwasakid...

New postby Graves9 on Sat Nov 07, 2009 8:37 am

Do you think this team is better off with Crotty instead of Danowski? Don't tell me that Crotty can play midfield on this team because he can't.
Graves9

New postby wheniwasakid... on Mon Nov 09, 2009 1:58 pm

Graves9 wrote:Do you think this team is better off with Crotty instead of Danowski? Don't tell me that Crotty can play midfield on this team because he can't.

Are they better with Crotty? I don't know... wasn't there to see and make selections but Pressler chose NCrotty and not MDanowski so I'm going to venture a YES, they are better.
Crotty can definitely play mid on this team. no doubt about it! Put him on a line with some serious shooters and he will get them the ball for quality, high % shots. He's not as flashy as Danowski and might not be as explosive going to the cage but that won't be his roll on this team. He will be a facilitator on this team, creating cohesiveness and can do that job better than Dino IMHO.

Generally speaking though, they are very different players who were being looked at for different roles, I'm sure. The most similar thing about the two is that they both went to Duke and are both awesome lax players. Other than that, quite different.
-Tom Waits
www.lacrosseallstars.com
wheniwasakid...

New postby Southern Crosse on Mon Nov 09, 2009 3:29 pm

Of course, it did not help Dino's cause much that his father happened to replace Pressler at Duke.

Also think Dino would have had some trouble if asked to play midfield despite his previous experience in international play with U19s in 2003.
"Put another shrimp on the barbie"-Paul Hogan
Southern Crosse

New postby wheniwasakid... on Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:53 pm

Southern Crosse wrote:Of course, it did not help Dino's cause much that his father happened to replace Pressler at Duke.

Also think Dino would have had some trouble if asked to play midfield despite his previous experience in international play with U19s in 2003.

I doubt that Pressler being replaced by Dino Sr. had anything to do with the selection process.
From what I have heard, this was probably the least biased selection process in the past 8-12 years.

I agree though, Crotty is better suited for M play and Dino just wasn't going to beat out Boyle, Powell, Leveille or Mundorf at attack. Boyle and Powell can control games and put up points while Leveille is really a do it all guy (much like Dino). Mundorf is probably the best dodger to cage at attack out there right now. If anyone wants to ask why Danowski missed out in favor of Westervelt, I guess I could see that but Westy ripped it up at tryouts and when he is on, he is unreal.

I think it just came down to who played the best and it says nothing about the players that missed out. It just wasn't their turn this year, I guess. I will call it right now though... if Danowski keeps playing at a high level, he will be THE go to guy in 2014.
-Tom Waits
www.lacrosseallstars.com
wheniwasakid...

New postby Graves9 on Tue Nov 10, 2009 5:05 pm

Pressler and Matt never got along at Duke and this was his chance to stick it to him.
No doubt Pressler got a raw deal at Duke. What happened to him was wrong, but he is one of the most disliked guys in the sport. Just ask ANYONE who has ever played for him or coached with or against him.
Last edited by Graves9 on Thu Nov 12, 2009 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Graves9

New postby 6x6 on Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:44 pm

Graves9 wrote:Pressler and Matt never got along at Duke and this was his chance to stick it to him.
No doubt Pressler got a raw deal at Duke. What happened to him was wrong, but he is one of the most disliked guys in the sport. Just ask ANYONE who has ever played for him.

If so, why would Greer follow him to Bryant?
6x6

New postby doggy45 on Wed Nov 11, 2009 12:25 pm

My guess: For a full ride that he probably was not getting at Duke.
doggy45

Sponsor

Next

Return to Men's - Pro and International