Rank your Potential MLL Expansion Markets

MLL, NLL, international lacrosse, and world championships

Rank your Potential MLL Expansion Markets

New postby Matt from Texas on Wed Aug 10, 2016 2:23 pm

Hi, big fan of the MLL here. Commissioner David Gross said he would like to see the league expand to 16 teams within the next decade (decade which started in 2012). The MLL currently fields 9 teams, and I have not heard any momentum for a tenth team by 2017. The MLL regular season just completed in which seven of the nine teams posted 8-6 records, meaning three teams were tied for first place but did not make the playoffs.

I think #10 should be Houston. In it's one showing, Houston proved that it is ready when over 10,000 people gathered to watch the 2015 All Star Game. If Houston doesn't have a team for 2017, then they should at least host the championship game.

I think #11 and #12 should be a return to Los Angeles and San Francisco, and I would prefer the Riptide and Dragons to be retained as well. Denver, despite making the playoffs, has been atrocious on the road (I think 2-5). It doesn't help when they are the only team not in the Eastern Time Zone. Even though this year's All Star Game in Orange County only attracted 4,200 fans, I think California is ready for lacrosse again.

#13 Philadelphia. Yes, the 2013 Championship Game in Philly was the worst attended Steinfeld Cup Game in MLL history with not even 3,900, but this city loves lacrosse as seen at this year's NCAA Championships. The Philadelphia Wings, who have the most championships in NLL history, were recently scooted out of Philly. However, the league has placed Philadelphia as one of their top sites for (short) future expansion. They also opened a new office in Philadelphia. And it is a crime that the Barrage, three-time Steinfeld Cup champions, folded. Bring back the Barrage!

#14 Minnesota. This ranking may change depending on how this weekend's semifinal game between two expansion teams fares in regards to attendance. But this market was robbed of their NLL team, too.

#15 Seattle. No MLL events have occurred in Seattle, but I think one should, but maybe not until there is more than one team in the Western United States. A future Seattle MLL team should partner with the Sounders, who average the highest attendance in the MLS and play at CenturyLink Field.

#16 Canada. The league needs to return to Canada, with at least one team. My target cities: Edmonton, Vancouver, Calgary, or Saskatoon. Edmonton because the NLL's Rush was dumped to Saskatoon the offseason after winning the championship! Although since the new commissioner has taken over, he has stated Edmonton is a high priority in expansion teams. Vancouver because it would create a natural rivalry with Seattle (I also like Portland) and you have the Whitecaps to partner with. Calgary because it is another NLL/NHL market that has done great things together. The NLL teams that have NHL owners have blown the other teams away in regards to attendance and on-the-field performance. Finally, Saskatoon because it was the city the Rush went to after winning their first championship in Edmonton. The Rush averaged 11,700 fans a game in the regular season and over 15,000 in the playoffs. Despite the small market, I think the fan support could translate to the outdoor game.

Other notable markets: Portland, Dallas, Pittsburgh

I would love to hear y'all's input as well!
Matt from Texas

Re: Rank your Potential MLL Expansion Markets

New postby LonghornFan on Mon Aug 29, 2016 6:39 pm

I believe that's a great anaylsis , love a team in Houston , that would be huge. Austin and / Dallas could be considerations also . I'd buy season tickets tomorrow .
LonghornFan

New postby Matt from Texas on Tue Aug 30, 2016 12:45 pm

LonghornFan wrote:I believe that's a great anaylsis , love a team in Houston , that would be huge. Austin and / Dallas could be considerations also . I'd buy season tickets tomorrow .

I am currently attending school in the Metroplex so I would love a team in Dallas over Houston, but honestly I'd go to a game anywhere in the Lone Star State!
Matt from Texas

New postby ahhyesrs on Tue Aug 30, 2016 6:59 pm

I do not see the Bay Area. It was dreadful to find a Dragons game when they were up there. Southern California, Texas (Houston /Dallas or both), no Canada (difficulty in the NLL with teams). If you go with the 12 teams you're doing good. Anything beyond that would cause a collapse of teams.
ahhyesrs

New postby Stagophile on Sun Sep 04, 2016 10:43 pm

I would love to see the MLL return home to Fairfield County to play at Rafferty Stadium on the campus of Fairfield University. The Bridgeport Barrage averaged 3,000+ fans despite playing at the Harbor Yard baseball stadium which was a horrible lacrosse venue. Rafferty Stadium is custom made for lacrosse and Fairfield County is a lacrosse hotbed. The MLL Semifinal could have had better attendance but it was one of the hottest days of the year.
FEAR THE DEER!!!
Stagophile

New postby Matt from Texas on Thu Sep 15, 2016 12:56 pm

I would like to see the league start expanding westward before adding more teams in the Northeast, but Fairfield's stadium only seats 4,000, correct? I would still like to see the MLL not make their ceiling so low.
Matt from Texas

New postby Baldo on Thu Sep 15, 2016 1:09 pm

The last MLL franchise in CT (Bridgeport Barrage) would not have filled anywhere near 4,000 seats for a game.
"If you come to a fork in the road, take it"
- Yogi Berra
Baldo
Site Admin

Sponsor

Return to Men's - Pro and International