MLL 2017

MLL, NLL, international lacrosse, and world championships

Re: MLL 2017

New postby jhulaxer on Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:56 am

thatsmell wrote:How are the ratings?! Lots of grumbling from the players on social media.

You want to know why no one cares about this league..... How about an All-Star game in California with a start time of 10 pm on the East Coast, buried on CBS Sports Network. Really?!?
They are so concerned about 'expanding the reach of lacrosse', but they have forgotten about the roots of the sport. That soccer stadium in California looked mostly empty (7761 attendance on Twitter feed). I'm not saying anyone would have even watched that game, but at least give it a chance on the East Coast.
The players that I've spoken to speak of everything from poor management to even poor medical care. It's a shame. The business model for this league was never grounded. The league survives by getting expansion teams to buy into the league. The existing teams benefit from this, but the product is then diluted. Tough for teams to survive with such poor attendance.
Just my opinion, but I would rather watch a college game on a spring Saturday, and then a pro game on Sunday. I understand the problem with the NLL, but that's my opinion. There are too many options for a fan in the summer. Beach, baseball, kids' travel lax, vacation, etc. Tough to go to a pro lax game on a Saturday night after watching Johnny play lax all day at a tournament.
jhulaxer

New postby stickhead on Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:26 am

Myles Jones wins MVP and collects a check for $10,000. Instead of keeping it for himself he splits it up between all his teammates!! Again good trade Atlanta!!! :laughing-rolling:
Anyone see Aplus???? He owes me a G from last years D2 chip!!!! $500 reward for any information leading to his home address!!!
stickhead

New postby lroggy on Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:06 pm

jhulaxer wrote:
thatsmell wrote:How are the ratings?! Lots of grumbling from the players on social media.

You want to know why no one cares about this league..... How about an All-Star game in California with a start time of 10 pm on the East Coast, buried on CBS Sports Network. Really?!?
They are so concerned about 'expanding the reach of lacrosse', but they have forgotten about the roots of the sport. That soccer stadium in California looked mostly empty (7761 attendance on Twitter feed). I'm not saying anyone would have even watched that game, but at least give it a chance on the East Coast.
The players that I've spoken to speak of everything from poor management to even poor medical care. It's a shame. The business model for this league was never grounded. The league survives by getting expansion teams to buy into the league. The existing teams benefit from this, but the product is then diluted. Tough for teams to survive with such poor attendance.
Just my opinion, but I would rather watch a college game on a spring Saturday, and then a pro game on Sunday. I understand the problem with the NLL, but that's my opinion. There are too many options for a fan in the summer. Beach, baseball, kids' travel lax, vacation, etc. Tough to go to a pro lax game on a Saturday night after watching Johnny play lax all day at a tournament.

A few points.

First, the All Star Game is in California to test the feasibility of the market for a franchise. We drew 7,800 in Boca for that game 5 years ago and the next year the franchise was granted. Atlanta hosted the finals as a test run and then got the franchise the next year. Dallas is hosting the MLL championship game and they were close last year to getting the franchise.

"The league survives by getting expansion teams to buy into the league."

No, it doesn't. It survives by having a corporate parent in New Balance, who I believe still owns 4 of the franchises, floating those teams through it's marketing budget.

Also, you step on your own argument later. It's bad management, low attendance, too much competition. But then early you argue that the All Star game should be in those markets where the competition is highest.

This league is very much like the NASL was 40 years ago. And now look at MLS today. As long as kids want to play the long term league viability will be there over time. Maybe not while I'm still alive but the kids playing now will grow up, introduce their kids to the sport and the fan base starts to rise.
lroggy

New postby jhulaxer on Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:51 pm

Granting a franchise to a city isn't a sign of success. They need to pay into the league. Simple as that.
Putting people in the seats is the indicator of success.
The question at hand was the ratings, and the grumbling from the players.
What is your explanation of low ratings? Why such poor attendance ?
jhulaxer

New postby lroggy on Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:14 pm

jhulaxer wrote:Granting a franchise to a city isn't a sign of success. They need to pay into the league. Simple as that.
Putting people in the seats is the indicator of success.
The question at hand was the ratings, and the grumbling from the players.
What is your explanation of low ratings? Why such poor attendance ?

The grumbling of the players is hot and cold in my experience (I tend to watch Launch games from the sidelines and always attend home practices on Friday) and their medical staff is excellent. I've not heard anything bad about them. There was one game versus NY where a NY trainer got frustrated with some players and actually left the sidelines. I can't really give anything definitive about other sidelines. Given how much the players have to take responsibility for their own training and keeping in shape it's not surprising that they would look at other sports and maybe compare to it, and that certainly would leave some of them disappointed.

The attendance figures depend on the market too. The Launch had their biggest home crowd ever against Atlanta, so the trend here is on the upswing. It seems like Atlanta has really fallen off this year and frankly I can't understand why Rochester hasn't moved yet, but in the other markets it seems we've stabilized and then time will tell in the future. This sport has always tried marketing to the hard core lacrosse fan and has never really figured out how to lure the casual fan to a game. They tried the silly stuff, like the Lax Con Bro stuff (or whatever his name was) and although I like Carc, Quint and Anish I think the personal vignettes and videos are not the way to go either.

For the league itself I think they really have to make it team versus team, not come out and watch Paul Rabil play, for example. One injury and your entire marketing strategy is a waste. For the sport in general we need a Ron Jaworski style approach . . . make halftimes about breaking down film and pre-games focusing on what each team might have seen in the game film, it really works for football so try it for lacrosse too. Treat the lacrosse viewer as an adult and get debates going. When was the last time you heard two announcers going after each other over disagreeing about the strategy a team takes? It's almost always one announcer making a point and the other either agreeing or ignoring it. When you turn on ESPN during the day it seems it's non-stop debate. Bring some of that in to the broadcast.

I'm a big believer that the growth in attendance is about 15 years in the future, when today's kids who play have kids of their own and those kids want to see a game in person. The TV ratings will likely follow that path too. Just make sure the game keeps growing with players, even if it is slowing, and eventually you end up with TV viewers and fannies in the seats.
lroggy

New postby thatsmell on Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:21 pm

Follow a few players. It's a non stop complaint-fest about the league. But in fairness, the mistakes and goofs the league does on a regular basis make them an easy target. The marketing has been terrible. And marketing is usually the first thing to go when a company struggles financially. Seems like the MLL marketing has been handed over to a few interns. The most recent gaffe was the league tweeting the wrong start time of the all star game...
The point is, if you want to be taken seriously, stuff like that can't happen.
If not, it's just a matter of time until there's a huge influx of talent back into the ALL.
"I never knew no Godfather. I got my own family, Senator."
thatsmell

New postby UKLaxfan on Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:27 am

I watched the Ohio Machine vs Denver Outlaws game last night

The standard of lacrosse is superb, skills extraordinary, the game was on Twitter as well as Lacrosse Sports Network

the biggest takeaway apart from great lacrosse was the snarkiness of so many on twitter seemingly waiting for a problem so they could vent their spleen at the terrible and evil MLL :angry-cussingblack: :angry-extinguishflame: :angry-screaming: :soapbox:

since when are lacrosse players so vehemently opposed to a form of the game?

If you don't like it don't watch it, switch channels, go outside

this even goes for some commentators on lacrosse and experts, who are too cool for school and have to be little or short MLL

There are issues with production, sound and cinematography could be better

but the bile and hostility to this venture surprises me

what gives?

I'm not a fan of the Orange ball for purely visibility reasons but the athletes and players are excellent

the same guys who we supported for 4 years some people suddenly hate because they play MLL

:confusion-shrug:
2pontificate wrote:I'm old! I refuse to concede that I'm an old fuddy dud. My kids on the other hand think I'm an old idiot. My lovely wife just thinks I'm an idiot. I forget, what were we talking about?
UKLaxfan

Re: ESPNU Lacrosse Coverage and other ESPN news

New postby LaxZBoy on Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:45 pm

MLL coverage has been getting a lot of criticism but kudos to the league for breaking away from ESPN.

I've been watching the games. There are some hiccups here and there on LSN but you can tell they will get there. ESPN has been doing it for years and from the announcers to the production, it's often amateur hour.

ESPN is a sinking ship. It's good to see MLL get out and do its own thing with its own network. Give them another year. They will have the superior broadcasts. ESPN could learn a thing or ten.
LaxZBoy

New postby UKLaxfan on Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:50 pm

IL Podcast "Media Roundtable: How to Improve MLL?"

http://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/m ... -mll/50155
2pontificate wrote:I'm old! I refuse to concede that I'm an old fuddy dud. My kids on the other hand think I'm an old idiot. My lovely wife just thinks I'm an idiot. I forget, what were we talking about?
UKLaxfan

New postby thatsmell on Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:00 pm

Spend a Sunday with MLL renaissance man, Paul Rabil:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/28/nyre ... utine.html
"I never knew no Godfather. I got my own family, Senator."
thatsmell

New postby lroggy on Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:23 pm

thatsmell wrote:Spend a Sunday with MLL renaissance man, Paul Rabil:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/28/nyre ... utine.html

Congrats Thatsmell! You finally found an article in the NY Times that didn't bash Donald Trump!

Too bad the article was a snooze fest frankly
lroggy

New postby laxintx on Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:40 am

Looking forward to attending Saturday's MLL Championship game at the Star in Frisco, TX. However, disappointed in the local coverage. Finally had a couple of articles today in the Dallas Morning News but they listed wrong start time, 7pm. My tickets say 6pm start.
laxintx

New postby lroggy on Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:14 am

It is a 7:00pm start. 6:00pm is probably when the gates open.
lroggy

New postby FannOLax on Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:29 pm

The 7 pm start time is correct for the Eastern Time Zone. However, Texas is in the Central Time Zone; so for those in Texas and other parts of the Central Time Zone, the game starts at 6 pm.
FannOLax

New postby lroggy on Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:27 pm

No, the game is 7:00pm CST
lroggy

New postby FannOLax on Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:01 am

FannOLax

New postby lroggy on Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:18 pm

Sorry, you were right!

And it was a terrific experience to cover it here. That stadium is off the charts great.
lroggy

New postby FannOLax on Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:21 am

Good, exciting game, with momentum swings and plenty of offense.
FannOLax

New postby lroggy on Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:15 am

laxintx wrote:Looking forward to attending Saturday's MLL Championship game at the Star in Frisco, TX. However, disappointed in the local coverage. Finally had a couple of articles today in the Dallas Morning News but they listed wrong start time, 7pm. My tickets say 6pm start.

That's how I got it wrong too. I think MLL actually did announce 7:00pm CST originally way back. The Cowboys exhibition game probably necessitated the move too. The Dallas Morning News did send a reporter to the game and she did play growing up so thankfully there was some coverage but I think it only appeared online as of Sunday.

The facility was amazing and one thing we all talked about on the field after was how good the surface was to play on. I can't really remember anyone slipping and after the semifinal game at Barton that was really welcome. I did DVR the game too so I want to watch that before commenting on it. Spoke to Dave Ryan before the game and he really misses calling the sport more. Hope that LSN might eventually be able to bring him in more to the fold with their games and Dave Lamont too, who I thought really took to the game well.

I was kind of surprised that there were only three of us covering the game at the national level. Matt Kinnear, Joe Keegan of Moneyball Lax, the Dallas writer and I were the only ones in the press area.

I really want to thank Dan Vestrasca of the MLL office for everything he did this weekend, he had a lot on his plate. And although we all take our shots, Dave Gross has dedicated many years to making this work and he really looked tired this weekend. Maybe just concentrating on LSN will be good for him and all of us.

Didn't get any real insight into the new Commissioner as that is now going through a second round of candidates. No word yet on whether the 2018 championships go back to Frisco. It was an incredible stadium and the hotels are right nearby, but the Fan Fest area in front was pretty sparse and they'll have to find some more activities around the event. The Awards ceremony was a lot of fun to attend and it's nice to see that and the way they handled the Draft this year are positives for the future.
lroggy

New postby Matt from Texas on Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:36 am

The 2017 Championship Game was the first MLL game I was able to attend and what an amazing experience to be able to witness my favorite team win it all (only the second time in my lifetime one of my pro teams has won a title)! Attendance was definitely inflated. Nowhere near 7,543, more like 5,500. Only 6,000 seats on each side and I know they didn't even sell 7,500 tickets because the east side was totally closed off except for the field seats.

Rochester made a pretty nice increase in attendance so I hope the Rattlers stay and Dallas is granted expansion to put us at an even 10 teams. But even if Rochester relocates, Josh Hawkins from LSN and the Cannons said recently he has heard rumblings of an interested expansion ownership group "outside of Texas" for 2018. My guess is that with the success in Sacramento, expansion rumors there have picked up. I also think Seattle and Portland need to host some games next year.
Matt from Texas

Sponsor

PreviousNext

Return to Men's - Pro and International