Tewaaraton 2018

Re: Tewaaraton 2018

New postby Eustace on Sat May 26, 2018 10:09 am

bullone wrote:The Collins twins will leave The Small Boat and Barge School as legends......it's gonna be REAL hard to replace them. Julia also lit up Loyola like a Christmas tree in the PL Championship game.....she had five goals in the first half.

I've watched Apuzzo against us twice and she affects the game in every phase. We (Navy) tried every defense known to man, including face-guarding her, and it had ZERO effect. I'm a HUGE fan of hers.......grudgingly. I've never seen Ohmiller play but I got to see Whittle in person last weekend and she's not in the same league as Apuzzo......except she's a better actress.

The Collins twins are indeed special. I will miss their skill and hard work and exuberant after-goal celebrations.

Very true regarding Apuzzo vs Navy. I was in the stands when Apuzzo scored 9 goals while being face-guarded. She is a uniquely skilled super star caliber player.

I saw Ohlmiller in the quarterfinal vs BC. She turned the ball over twice during the 2nd half--once with less than two minutes in regulation, with guess who causing the turnover. I wouldn't compare her to Apuzzo for a number of reasons, one being the weak schedule they play in the America East conference. I doubt she'd have racked up the gaudy numbers she has if she played in the ACC or even the Big 10.

Agreed on Whittle/Apuzzo comparison. Whittle has breakneck speed but only uses it occasionally to actually ride and cause a turnover. She's a great goal scorer but so is Apuzzo. Whittle doesn't hold a candle to Apuzzo in assists or draw controls, either. And the actress/flop comment is well deserved. I've never seen Apuzzo exaggerate/contrive injury the way Whittle does.

Well, hopefully Larkin, O'Sullivan, et al will do well next year in filling the huge void left by the departure of the Collins'. Good Luck Navy!
Eustace

New postby Realist1 on Sun May 27, 2018 11:24 am

Well obviously you have no idea what you are talking about BC Ohlmiller blew up the Big Ten this year!! The ACC doesn’t play Stony Brook. She has put up the numbers against everyone including MD last year in the quarters. She was held to 5 points against BC by a face guard ( which could only happen BC her sister was injured and by dominating the draws). The schedule actually works against her in putting up points. The weaker teams the clock starts running halfway through the first half. Penn state face guarded her and they put her up top as a cutter. Taryn Ohlmiller 2 goals 7 assists, Courtney Murphy 6 goals 2 assists and Kylie Ohlmiller 7 goals and 2 assists. Oh btw, the year she spent w Team USA, Kylie Ohlmiller was the leading scorer with the best players in the World on the team.
Realist1

New postby Realist1 on Sun May 27, 2018 11:49 am

I meant Penn not Penn State when KO was shut off. 15 goals, 14 assists in in4 Big Ten games. Very little difference in her numbers when they play top teams or conference teams. She racks up the points against Top 5, Top 10Top 20 and anyone else with amazing consistency.
Realist1

New postby Eustace on Sun May 27, 2018 12:37 pm

Realist1 wrote:Well obviously you have no idea what you are talking about BC Ohlmiller blew up the Big Ten this year!! The ACC doesn’t play Stony Brook. She has put up the numbers against everyone including MD last year in the quarters. She was held to 5 points against BC by a face guard ( which could only happen BC her sister was injured and by dominating the draws). The schedule actually works against her in putting up points. The weaker teams the clock starts running halfway through the first half. Penn state face guarded her and they put her up top as a cutter. Taryn Ohlmiller 2 goals 7 assists, Courtney Murphy 6 goals 2 assists and Kylie Ohlmiller 7 goals and 2 assists. Oh btw, the year she spent w Team USA, Kylie Ohlmiller was the leading scorer with the best players in the World on the team.

"Ohlmiller blew up the Big Ten this year!!"

I think "blew up" is a little strong. First of all--they didn't play Maryland--far and away the best team in the Big Ten. For the 4 teams they played, Northwestern, who finished the year 15-6, was an impressive win on the road (15-10) KO had 3 goals. Not too impressed with beating marginal teams Johns Hopkins (10-9) (KO 6 goals) or Penn State (10-10) (KO 2 goals), both of whom got bounced in the 1st round of the Tournament with RPI's of 25 and 24 respectively. Nor am I impressed with a win over Michigan (6-10) (KO 4 goals).

"The ACC doesn’t play Stony Brook."

Yes--that is part of my point. IF she played in the ACC, she would't put up the same numbers. I stand by that--100%

"She has put up the numbers against everyone including MD last year in the quarters."

This year, of the top 7 teams in RPI (excluding themselves of course) Maryland, North Carolina, Boston College, JMU, Florida and Navy--SB played one team--and lost. So, she didn't play them (except BC - and regardless of her numbers in that game, she was nowhere to be found during crunch time--not to mention she turned the ball over twice in the 2nd half--the 2nd one with under 2 minutes left.)

"She was held to 5 points against BC by a face guard (which could only happen BC her sister was injured and by dominating the draws). "

Apuzzo was face guarded by Navy earlier in the season and scored 9 goals.

"The schedule actually works against her in putting up points. The weaker teams the clock starts running halfway through the first half. Penn state face guarded her and they put her up top as a cutter. Taryn Ohlmiller 2 goals 7 assists, Courtney Murphy 6 goals 2 assists and Kylie Ohlmiller 7 goals and 2 assists. Oh btw, the year she spent w Team USA, Kylie Ohlmiller was the leading scorer with the best players in the World on the team."

Not impressed with contributions to Team USA. That's a whole different context, and most importantly, it does not figure into deciding the Tewaaraton.

All in all--Apuzzo is the better player. She does more for her team than KO does for hers. She's pretty close in many categories.

Goals--KO 88, Apuzzo 88
Assists--KO 69, Apuzzo 41.
Apuzzo has 3 more game winning goals (9-6).

In two other important categories--it isn't even close.

Draw Controls--Apuzzo 163, KO 7.
Caused Turnovers--Apuzzo 31, KO 7.

I think Apuzzo deserves to win the Tewaaraton, hands down. She is the most complete player on the list, and she compiled her numbers in the toughest conference in D1, and then went ahead and beat Stony Brook and defending champ Maryland in the Tournament.
Last edited by Eustace on Sun May 27, 2018 4:49 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Eustace

New postby NU Lax on Sun May 27, 2018 2:40 pm

With 7 points in the NC (4g, 3a) this debate is closed. Apuzzo SHOULD win it.
Go Cats!
NU Lax

New postby bullone on Sun May 27, 2018 2:46 pm

Not to mention NINE d/c's......like I said earlier........it's OVAH !
bullone

New postby Realist1 on Sun May 27, 2018 4:20 pm

7.5 points per game is blowing it up!! It is also right on pace w career averages in confrence and out of conference. 7 points last year in QFs against the Terps last year as well ( despite big draw control imbalance, 5 yellow cards and 58 violations anso limited touches and covered by national defender of the year) so don’t down play the numbers. Number 1 in both drafts and it wouldn’t change if Appuzzo was in. It isn’t a national championship or single game award especially in a losing effort anymore than it is a career award or they deserved it last year ( Ohlmiller wins that hands down.) In other words we don’t change the criteria. If KO didn’t break the 30 year record for points last year she would’ve shattered it this year. Assists record, on and on.
Realist1

New postby ldoc on Sun May 27, 2018 5:04 pm

I'm not saying it's right or wrong but there's no way they're giving it to a player who didn't make it to championship weekend.
ldoc

New postby baldbear on Sun May 27, 2018 8:28 pm

Fantastic weekend of games and congratulations to James Madison.

If history is any indication Kristen Guadian wins but I think it goes to Sam Apuzzo. A complete player who scores goals, assists goals, wins draws and rides hard.

McCool and Whittle had great seasons but really non-factors in tournament. @Realist1 love the enthusiasm for Kylie Ohmiller and accomplishments are not in dispute but she did not make the all tournament team. Tewaaraton is regular season (to get to the final five) and regular season and tournament for the award. It’s a long shot for her.
Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face.
baldbear

New postby LowD09 on Mon May 28, 2018 12:54 am

It was clear this weekend. Apuzzo. Multi-dimensional, relentless and invaluable. She might not be perfect, but oh man, she never disappeared. She embodies everything the award represents. To me, Gaudian wins the NC, but Apuzzo gets the Tewaaraton. Isn’t even close, IMO.

It’s hard to comment, but, in the spirit of a “forum,” I was sincerely disappointed to see one of the five finalists go down grabbing her head on a non-contact stick check during the semi-finals. I lost a lot of respect for the player (I’m 100% sure she’s an incredible woman, and this is purely competitive) when I saw the replay. This game is born in grit, not in flopping. Hopefully this didn’t go unoticed by the committee.
LowD09

New postby Eustace on Mon May 28, 2018 3:49 am

Agreed on Apuzzo.

As for the other reference--I know exactly who you mean and the play you're thinking of. I feel the same way. The one toward the end of the 2nd half in the quarterfinals was worse, and also worthy of the committee's attention.
Eustace

New postby NHLaxDad on Mon May 28, 2018 8:05 am

Apuzzo for sure. No contest.
NHLaxDad

New postby Realist1 on Mon May 28, 2018 11:23 am

Appuzo for sure? Gee NH a BC fan!? As one BC parent slammed KO with in the biggest game of her career when her team needed her to make one more play she didn’t. To win one more draw she didn’t. Shoe on the other foot. Appuzo’s for sure if they won the tournament, maybe. No one has done what Kyle Ohlmiller has done. No one EVER. Let that sink in for a minute not even close and it wasn’t BC of their conference her numbers are consistent no matter who they play. You can say BC went farther. There also was a key injury in play that allowed you to shut off Ohlmiller where the other distributor was out. How many players do you know with 5 points being shut off. I can pick one of about 5 players on BC where they wouldn’t have advanced. We will see. Last year it was a shock that Ohlmiller didn’t win this year it is much closer so to think Appuzo is a slam dunk is crazy. They didn’t win and they didn’t win the final draw when they needed it. Other attack that have won the Tewaarton have not come close to do the things that Ohlmiller has.
Realist1

New postby Eustace on Mon May 28, 2018 11:47 am

Show of hands for who'll be glad when the Tewaaraton ceremony is over Thursday night?

:greetings-waveyellow:
Eustace

New postby Eustace on Mon May 28, 2018 12:43 pm

May 31st, Thursday at 7pm. There will be a number of ways to watch the award ceremony. Read all about it.

https://laxallstars.com/2018-tewaaraton-award-ceremony/
Eustace

New postby peacefullax on Mon May 28, 2018 1:56 pm

You can’t deny Apuzzo with her dc’s and ct’s Possession is the key to success and she alone is responsible for so much of BC’s.
peacefullax

New postby Eustace on Mon May 28, 2018 3:47 pm

Realist1 wrote:Oh btw, the year she spent w Team USA, Kylie Ohlmiller was the leading scorer with the best players in the World on the team.

Kylie Ohlmiller was picked for the 36 player national team roster, and made the cut for the 25 player World Cup training team. But that's as far as she went. She didn't make the cut for the final 18 player roster. Team USA played for the World Cup, but there were only players from the United States on the team.

https://www.uslacrosse.org/blog/us-lacr ... cup-roster
Eustace

New postby ldoc on Mon May 28, 2018 3:54 pm

Eustace wrote:
Realist1 wrote:Oh btw, the year she spent w Team USA, Kylie Ohlmiller was the leading scorer with the best players in the World on the team.

Kylie Ohlmiller was picked for the 36 player national team roster, and made the cut for the 25 player World Cup training team. But that's as far as she went. She didn't make the cut for the final 18 player roster. Team USA played for the World Cup, but there were only players from the United States on the team.

https://www.uslacrosse.org/blog/us-lacr ... cup-roster

Also, this is totally irrelevant to the award anyway. And even if international experience was considered, it would give McCool an edge over KO. As I recall, Fried said they were initially planning to take 5 attackers and 6 midfielders but ended up taking 4 attackers and 7 midfielders because of McCool's play in training.
ldoc

TL cannot wait...

New postby Turtles Lax on Mon May 28, 2018 4:04 pm

...for the post-Tewaaraton Award comments herein. Might be some all world snarkiness. That's based on some of the delusional stuff posted already herein. :angry-banghead:

FTR, Ms Apuzzo will get the Award. :shhh: (Or maybe not...TL doesn't get a vote.)

BTW, scoring prowess is NOT a prime criterion for selection to the USWNT.

Peace, out.

TL
Turtles Lax

New postby ultravisitor on Thu May 31, 2018 9:52 pm

Congrats Sam Apuzzo.
ultravisitor

Sponsor

PreviousNext

Return to Women's Lacrosse