UWLX vs WPLL

Re: UWLX vs WPLL

New postby brownlax on Fri Jun 01, 2018 2:48 pm

New rules from the website:

TIME AND SCORING ADMINISTRATION

WPLL will play with 4-fifteen minute running halves.

They are being so creative that they have now come up with a new math - 4 halves!! :D
brownlax

New postby hsllax on Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:15 pm

Curious to know if anyone has been watching and what they think of the WPLL vs. UWLX? It doesn't feel like either is getting much attention or promotion through US Lacrosse or Inside Lacrosse.
hsllax

New postby Eustace on Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:57 pm

I've seen a couple WPLL games. The other league has yet to play a game this season. The WPLL is trying, no doubt about that, and they do have some talented players – but their camera people leave a lot to be desired, and that makes such a big difference when you're trying to watch a lacrosse game. The shot is either too tight and the camera moves almost every time the ball is passed, or the shot is too wide and it's too far away to get a feel for the action. They need a lot of work in that department.
Eustace

New postby LarryGamLax on Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:36 pm

One of my friends was at a WPLL game this past weekend. She said there were about 40 people there. I'm not surprised at all.

Things people may have been doing instead of attending a WPLL game :
- Was Bieber in town?
- Washing their hair
- Series Finale of "The Vampire Diaries"
- Big Sale at the local mall
- Out enjoying a meal and quality time with family
- Out for the evening at the movie theatre

Let's not forget, that only 7500 showed up to watch the Final Four on a Friday evening and only 7500 showed up to watch an outstanding Final on a Sunday afternoon, that was being held in the HOTBED of Girls HS Lacrosse(Long Island, NY) in a stadium that should have been SRO. If they didn't come out for that in that location, then you can't believe that there will be this sudden urge of attention for the WPLL. The WNBA is still waiting for that and they have been in existence for 21 years AND they have a contract with ESPN. There are easily 50 times more Basketball players in this country than Laxers, so if they are not supporting the WNBA, why would you think they will support the WPLL or UWLX?

Fantasy is a great destination...Reality is easier to get to.
LarryGamLax

New postby 17laxer on Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:19 am

Well then let's just pack it up and go home. It is still in it's infancy. It is a professional league that gives some players a chance to advance the game. What is wrong with that? I am sick of softball on ESPN and would much rather see some women's lacrosse. It has potential so why be so negative on it? Okay, reality vs.fantasy. Pessimist vs.optimist. Debbie Downer vs. women's lacrosse supporter. I am grateful that someone is willing to try, so let them lead this thing, see where it goes, and you can follow or get out of the way instead of throwing the wet blanket on it all.

https://www.uslaxmagazine.com/fuel/industry/lacrosse-has-untapped-potential-as-tv-sport-espn-producer-says
17laxer

Wishing much success to both the UWLX and WPLL

New postby Eustace on Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:01 am

17laxer wrote:Well then let's just pack it up and go home. It is still in it's infancy. It is a professional league that gives some players a chance to advance the game. What is wrong with that? I am sick of softball on ESPN and would much rather see some women's lacrosse. It has potential so why be so negative on it? Okay, reality vs.fantasy. Pessimist vs.optimist. Debbie Downer vs. women's lacrosse supporter. I am grateful that someone is willing to try, so let them lead this thing, see where it goes, and you can follow or get out of the way instead of throwing the wet blanket on it all.

I'm with you. I'm grateful that there are pro leagues and that players can keep playing after they graduate and still enjoy the sport. There are some very talented women signing on to play in both leagues. I hope that as time goes on they get higher quality production from their broadcasts and reach the high standard that CBS Sports Net, BTN and ESPNU (and any broadcast that has Sheehan Stanwick Burch doing color commentary for) has attained. As for the negative Nancy's--they are just looking for attention. Why give them any? This is a time of growing interest in women's lacrosse. Let's hope the professional leagues get established and supported more and more until they become a fixture on ESPN and the like. Long Live Women's Lacrosse!
Eustace

New postby sjsscr101 on Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:50 am

I was at the game Baltimore vs New England game at Lebanon Valley college. Not as many fans as I would have thought considering they had a ready made audience at the tournament. Two things I noticed. One, I surprised of a number of people who had no idea a pro game was going to played at the field which they were sitting at watching their youngsters. Secondly, the amount of young kids who seemed to not care to watch the game even when they knew it was going on. Off to their phones between their games I guess.
sjsscr101

New postby sjsscr101 on Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:36 am

I was at the game Baltimore vs New England at Lebanon Valley college. Not as many fans as I would have thought considering they had a ready made audience at the tournament. Two things I noticed. One, I surprised of a number of people who had no idea a pro game was going to played at the field which they were sitting at watching their youngsters. Secondly, the amount of young kids who seemed to not care to watch the game even when they knew it was going on. Off to their phones between their games I guess.
sjsscr101

New postby lionwatcher on Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:06 am

FWIW, Women's professional soccer (tons more soccer players then lax players) had an average attendance last year of 5,061 per game, down from 5,558 in 2016. But, second highest since NWSL started in 2013. Trend not good down almost 10%. In 2016 Monica Abbott signed a $1M six year contract in National Pro Fastpitch softball league (mostly bonuses based upon performance, attendance etc.) NPF had over 7,400 at its championship game in 2016. Womens professional lax has a very, very long way to go get to prime time. Just the facts, Ma'am, just the facts. Det. Joe Friday :confusion-shrug:
Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
lionwatcher

New postby LarryGamLax on Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:32 pm

17laxer wrote:Well then let's just pack it up and go home. It is still in it's infancy. It is a professional league that gives some players a chance to advance the game. What is wrong with that? I am sick of softball on ESPN and would much rather see some women's lacrosse. It has potential so why be so negative on it? Okay, reality vs.fantasy. Pessimist vs.optimist. Debbie Downer vs. women's lacrosse supporter. I am grateful that someone is willing to try, so let them lead this thing, see where it goes, and you can follow or get out of the way instead of throwing the wet blanket on it all.

https://www.uslaxmagazine.com/fuel/industry/lacrosse-has-untapped-potential-as-tv-sport-espn-producer-says

Dude, the WNBA is in its 21st season, with the support of the NBA, and a TV contract with ESPN. Their slogan is "Watch Me Work". The problem is that, even with all of the Girl Basketball players across this country, that no one seems to be much interested in watching them work, play, sing or dance. If the NBA pulled their support tomorrow, the WNBA falls like a House of Cards.
NOW, what makes you think that the WPLL(or the UWLX) has an iceball's chance in hell of succeeding when the WNBA can't and they have all of the things that Women's Pro Lacrosse would want? You can call me Derrick Downer if you wish, but I KNOW the disinterest of the Women's Lacrosse audience. I laid out the FACTS and you want to kill the messenger. If the sport is not drawing at the College level, then why would you think the "Pro" level is suddenly going to be a panacea?
I have supported the sport of Lacrosse for many many years and continue to do so on a daily basis, but I am not going to 'pick and grin' when there is no reason to do so.
LarryGamLax

New postby LarryGamLax on Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:38 pm

sjsscr101 wrote:I was at the game Baltimore vs New England at Lebanon Valley college. Not as many fans as I would have thought considering they had a ready made audience at the tournament. Two things I noticed. One, I surprised of a number of people who had no idea a pro game was going to played at the field which they were sitting at watching their youngsters. Secondly, the amount of young kids who seemed to not care to watch the game even when they knew it was going on. Off to their phones between their games I guess.

Lebanon Valley College? Is that area a Lacrosse Hotbed? Hail to tha naw! What sense did that make? And I'm not surprised at all by what you said about the Young kids. They may enjoy playing, but they are not interested in watching. I think Beyonce was on their phones. :roll:
LarryGamLax

New postby 17laxer on Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:56 pm

Okay Larry.
You ask the question "NOW, what makes you think that the WPLL(or the UWLX) has an iceball's chance in hell of succeeding when the WNBA can't and they have all of the things that Women's Pro Lacrosse would want." You have to look at expectations and considerations for success. Maybe these leagues just want to spread the game and give young athletes an opportunity. Maybe attendance is irrelevant. That is kind of what the college game is like. It gives players a reason to attend certain schools, to represent them and to keep the athlete's dreams of playing at a higher level alive. The expenses far outweigh the income. But schools have these sports even though the sport is in the red and/or there is minimal attendance. Perhaps the facts are that the WNBA is irrelevant to this lacrosse league except for gender. However, if you are implying that no women's leagues will work, then I think that it is very important to find out what they expect and what they consider success. So they won't draw 2000, but maybe they don't expect or need to.
And BTW, don't all me Dude. :D
17laxer

New postby lionwatcher on Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:01 pm

I think the phrase is "ice cube's chance in hell". NFN :D

an ice cube's chance in hell

noun - uncountable
•no chance.
Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
lionwatcher

New postby sjsscr101 on Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:19 am

LarryGamLax wrote:
sjsscr101 wrote:I was at the game Baltimore vs New England at Lebanon Valley college. Not as many fans as I would have thought considering they had a ready made audience at the tournament. Two things I noticed. One, I surprised of a number of people who had no idea a pro game was going to played at the field which they were sitting at watching their youngsters. Secondly, the amount of young kids who seemed to not care to watch the game even when they knew it was going on. Off to their phones between their games I guess.

Lebanon Valley College? Is that area a Lacrosse Hotbed? Hail to tha naw! What sense did that make? And I'm not surprised at all by what you said about the Young kids. They may enjoy playing, but they are not interested in watching. I think Beyonce was on their phones. :roll:

They are playing the games at the locations of club tournaments. One happened to be at LVC. I think that does makes some sense. Play the games where the kids are. Future games will be more traditional locations like Baltimore area
sjsscr101

New postby lax2lax on Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:40 am

I read somewhere that there were 20K views to the games livestream. That seems like a lot, but if it is true it is impressive.
lax2lax

New postby Lax'in&Relax'n on Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:45 am

17laxer wrote:Okay Larry.
You ask the question "NOW, what makes you think that the WPLL(or the UWLX) has an iceball's chance in hell of succeeding when the WNBA can't and they have all of the things that Women's Pro Lacrosse would want." You have to look at expectations and considerations for success. Maybe these leagues just want to spread the game and give young athletes an opportunity. Maybe attendance is irrelevant. That is kind of what the college game is like. It gives players a reason to attend certain schools, to represent them and to keep the athlete's dreams of playing at a higher level alive. The expenses far outweigh the income. But schools have these sports even though the sport is in the red and/or there is minimal attendance. Perhaps the facts are that the WNBA is irrelevant to this lacrosse league except for gender. However, if you are implying that no women's leagues will work, then I think that it is very important to find out what they expect and what they consider success. So they won't draw 2000, but maybe they don't expect or need to.
And BTW, don't all me Dude. :D

Yes, yes and YES to this (especially the don't call me dude part).

It's so easy to sit and pontificate about how this going to fail. I'm pretty sure everybody knows that the pro leagues have an uphill battle for long term survival but that doesn't mean people can't be excited about it, I don't know why that's so hard for a few to understand this. It also doesn't make one smarter than everybody else because they say it's going to fail - but some feel the need to be "smarter than everyone". Maybe they were picked last in dodge ball as a youth and these kinds of forums make them feel empowered, who knows...

Anyway, best of luck to all the lady lax players out there. Whether it be at the 5-6 year old beginner leagues, middle and high school players, college players and yes, even the PRO players!
Lax'in&Relax'n

New postby lionwatcher on Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:48 am

Maybe they were picked last in dodge ball as a youth and these kinds of forums make them feel empowered, who knows...

OUCH :o :twisted: That is some serious shade :cool_dancing: :cool_dancing:
lionwatcher

New postby lionwatcher on Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:49 am

Double post deleted
lionwatcher

New postby dmaclaxnut11 on Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:46 am

lax2lax wrote:I read somewhere that there were 20K views to the games livestream. That seems like a lot, but if it is true it is impressive.

Someone needs to post the links to these games. Had they, that number would be 20K+1.
dmaclaxnut11

New postby lax2lax on Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:42 pm

WPLL website lists the games that were streamed on this site: https://laxallstars.com/wpll/
lax2lax

Sponsor

PreviousNext

Return to Women's Lacrosse