Coaching Carousel 2018

Re: Coaching Carousel 2018

New postby UBLax on Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:01 am

LarryGamLax wrote:Vanderbilt is a Private University, so they don't HAVE TO post the job(I think). She's right there and it took that long...REALLY?
C'mon Man! Shows me that Vandy doesn't seem to care much about the program.

BINGO! Vandy had a perfect opportunity to test the waters and bring in an outsider to push this program over the hump. This is just my opinion, but a school located in a great city, not far from the east coast, with an above avg athletics department and excellent academics should be a cinch to recruit to (coaches as well as players). Scratching my head on this one. :confusion-shrug:
Maybe we're all wrong though, maybe coach Hewitt just needed an opportunity. Best of luck to her.
UBLax

New postby CHCfan1976 on Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:29 am

UBLax: Agree and disagree. Excellent school academically and an excellent athletic department, but I think one of the issues is its location. Nashville is a great city but the only way to get there is by flying from the east coast. A lot of parents want their kids to stay within driving distance of home so they can attend games. If I live in Baltimore I can drive to Princeton, JHU, Loyola, Virginia, Maryland easily. A lot of families can not afford the added expense of flying to and from games to see their children play.
CHCfan1976

New postby 8meterpa on Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:20 am

Not sure location is an obstacle that can't be overcome given the great academics and facilties. Colorado, Oregon and Stanford all have successful programs are a lot more inconvenient for east coast players/families than Nashville, which is a pretty short flight and airfare is cheap. I think the bigger issue is that maybe they need to broaden their recruiting horizon outside the state of NJ.
8meterpa

New postby ldoc on Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:08 am

8meterpa wrote:Colorado, Oregon and Stanford all have successful programs

Along with Florida, Northwestern, Denver, USC, Notre Dame... Of course proximity/travel expenses are a major consideration for many mid-Atlantic recruits and that is a valid concern for families, but there are some VERY high-level programs that have navigated geographical challenges successfully.

Vanderbilt is a beautiful school with top-notch academics in a fantastic location—a very good fit for traditional lacrosse culture. Recruiting was not the problem until the last couple years. They signed their fair share of high-level recruits before then. They just never did anything with them after about 2010. Their c/o 2017 was a top-ten recruiting class coming out of high school and graduated with a 23-41 record and only ever played one conference tournament game.
ldoc

New postby LaxClash83 on Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:53 am

Muskingum (D3/Ohio) is looking for a head coach again. New hire will make the 4th coach since 2013.
LaxClash83

Sponsor

Previous

Return to Women's Lacrosse