Howard?

Howard?

New postby lucc447 on Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:30 am

Anyone know what happened? See they canceled game with Longwood and heard they will not play Liberty today. I thought they might have a chance this weekend. I hope it was not the school quitting on them.
lucc447

Re: Howard?

New postby LMLlax on Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:42 am

HPU is schceduled to play them on the 13th of this month and we have not heard anything contradicting this...yet :(
LMLlax

New postby AugustWest on Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:51 am

Longwood was already on the road to Howard Friday when the LU coach received a terse phone call that the game was cancelled with no explanation whatsoever. Nice eh?
AugustWest

New postby LMLlax on Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:07 pm

Wow, that's very surprising. Does anyone know if the Liberty game was played yesterday? There is no score listed and the Howard website shows the Longwood game being cancelled but is still showing the Liberty game for Sunday - no score there either. :confusion-shrug:
LMLlax

New postby AugustWest on Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:25 pm

Not very surprising if you have ever tried to get hold of or deal with anyone in Athletics at Howard. Liberty was informed Friday about the same time that their Sunday game with Howard would not be played, again with no explanation. Howard has not been a very cooperative National Lacrosse Conference member in the past missing conference calls and being absent for other pertinent conference business.
AugustWest

New postby DadofLIEboni17 on Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:58 pm

As per Liberty's website; the game with Howard was listed as a forfeit.
"Everyone has a plan...until they get punched in the mouth." -Mike Tyson
DadofLIEboni17

New postby lucc447 on Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:15 pm

I guess they are done. I feel bad for the players.
lucc447

New postby holmes435 on Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:11 am

lucc447 wrote:I guess they are done. I feel bad for the players.

Do you have confirmation on that? They still have a half dozen games scheduled, and can bring in students from on campus to play and add #'s if they are that low. Hopefully just the flu and some injuries, happens at all levels, but yes Howard has been at a lower # of players than most D1 programs over the past few years. Anyone know if they funded at all scholarship wise?
holmes435

New postby DadofLIEboni17 on Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:12 am

I hope Del St is paying close attention!
DadofLIEboni17

New postby all.about.lax on Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:39 pm

Not very classy if they aren't being visible as to why they are forfeiting or canceling the season.

The roster has 16...obviously not very big, but with only 1 GK that leaves 15 who (if healthy) can play the field.

Bad situation all around for everyone.
all.about.lax

New postby JSKeys on Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:38 pm

I hope Howard can overcome any problems they are having. The growth of lacrosse that most people want isn't only about geography but also race. Too many times I hear that lacrosse is an upperclass white sport; it has alway amazed me the racial disparity between the soccer teams and lacrosse teams my daughter plays on. And I think the 'upperclass' part has fallen away faster than the 'white'. Not to say that the lacrosse community would not be welcoming, but I just think the perception is there.
To see a HBCU drop its program will certainly not help in the growth among minorities.
I hope I haven't crossed any lines with this post.
JSKeys

New postby LarryGamLax on Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:03 pm

JSKeys wrote:I hope Howard can overcome any problems they are having. The growth of lacrosse that most people want isn't only about geography but also race. Too many times I hear that lacrosse is an upperclass white sport; it has alway amazed me the racial disparity between the soccer teams and lacrosse teams my daughter plays on. And I think the 'upperclass' part has fallen away faster than the 'white'. Not to say that the lacrosse community would not be welcoming, but I just think the perception is there.
To see a HBCU drop its program will certainly not help in the growth among minorities.

I'm outraged at this bigoted crap....JUST KIDDING! :)

What you wrote was just fine. Never worry about crossing lines when dealing with this kind of topic. Just be honest and respectful and you will never have to be concerned with a line being crossed. Lacrosse still suffers from a perception problem and it needs to be addressed. That's why I can't stress enough what the upcoming movie Crooked Arrows could do for our sport if the movie does well.
I was lucky as a kid to go to Boarding School and that's where I was exposed to Lacrosse. Although I had played the standards(Football, Basketball, Baseball) growing up, what I became very good in was Golf and Tennis before I went off to Prep School. So the journey from the standards, for me, was not such a big leap. Again, I was lucky. My secondary school experience was much different than that of many, many Black youths.
My hope is that more Black, Latino and Hispanic kids will be involved with Lacrosse. Then it will make sense for schools like Howard and Delaware State to have programs. It also means that they can have a real chance to succeed.
LarryGamLax

New postby DadofLIEboni17 on Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:56 pm

JSKeys wrote:I hope Howard can overcome any problems they are having. The growth of lacrosse that most people want isn't only about geography but also race. Too many times I hear that lacrosse is an upperclass white sport; it has always amazed me the racial disparity between the soccer teams and lacrosse teams my daughter plays on. And I think the 'upperclass' part has fallen away faster than the 'white'. Not to say that the lacrosse community would not be welcoming, but I just think the perception is there.

Well.....depends on who you speak to. As for "welcoming;" the South contrary to history is more welcoming. Up North(LI;) not so much The AA girls who do play tell their fellow athletes about the stares,the "black girl" comments, the questioning of her skills, etc. Then the other athletes after hearing this say "no thank you." The parents aren't any better either....the kids had to learn from someone. My wife and I have been called "Beyonce and Jay-Z" and "the Obamas" on quite a few occasions. My daughter has also had the "can I touch your hair" and "why don't you perm or weave your hair like other black girls" comments. Off topic; but this is what possibly that AA girls may endure. Unless she is "not so Black;" then she is left alone.

If we want our daughters' game to elevate; we must accept the fact that the sport needs diversity. Maybe the most mediocre basketball player may excel at lacrosse. Or the football playing girl who has not grown as fast as her male counterparts.

Maybe Howard may get it together....or maybe they won't. I feel for the HS girls who committed and may not have a place to play. At the D1 level LGL(before you start preaching!)
DadofLIEboni17

New postby LaxFirst on Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:51 am

I concur with the notion that racial diversity in the game can only be a good thing! Just last week I was approached by an African American man in a local NJ city diner about where he could purchase used boys lax gear (I was sporting the gear of my daughter's college) as his 8 year old son had seen the game and wanted to give it a try - now let's hope that kids like this have the avenue's to nurture their interest through local youth programs...
LaxFirst

New postby PALaxer on Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:14 am

I am pretty sure its larger than Wlax - I think its an NCAA thing as all of their sports are not competing now... I am thinking more information will be forthcoming.
PALaxer

New postby LadyWarriors on Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:40 am

Well.....depends on who you speak to. As for "welcoming;" the South contrary to history is more welcoming. Up North(LI;) not so much The AA girls who do play tell their fellow athletes about the stares,the "black girl" comments, the questioning of her skills, etc. Then the other athletes after hearing this say "no thank you." The parents aren't any better either....the kids had to learn from someone. My wife and I have been called "Beyonce and Jay-Z" and "the Obamas" on quite a few occasions. My daughter has also had the "can I touch your hair" and "why don't you perm or weave your hair like other black girls" comments. Off topic; but this is what possibly that AA girls may endure. Unless she is "not so Black;" then she is left alone.

If we want our daughters' game to elevate; we must accept the fact that the sport needs diversity. Maybe the most mediocre basketball player may excel at lacrosse. Or the football playing girl who has not grown as fast as her male counterparts.

Maybe Howard may get it together....or maybe they won't. I feel for the HS girls who committed and may not have a place to play. At the D1 level LGL(before you start preaching!)

Not exactly like having to sit in the back of the bus! !
Sounds alot like what happens when a white boy/girl steps on the basketball court in many places in America.

You don't think white parents and players are judged just as harshly about the player's skill level, the parents style of clothing vehicle and homes, the way they look, or the socio economic status they are at?!
Happens everyday everywhere! That's just the way it is!
Take it for what it is IGNORANCE and THEIR problem....then go about doing everything to make your daughter a better player and future college student athlete.
LadyWarriors

New postby LarryGamLax on Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:04 am

PALaxer wrote:I am pretty sure its larger than Wlax - I think its an NCAA thing as all of their sports are not competing now... I am thinking more information will be forthcoming.

I think you're right. Something weird is going on at Howard. None of their schedules appear to be up to date and zero info is available as to why. This has all the makings of a not so good outcome.
LarryGamLax

New postby DallasLaxDad on Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:34 am

LarryGamLax wrote:
PALaxer wrote:I am pretty sure its larger than Wlax - I think its an NCAA thing as all of their sports are not competing now... I am thinking more information will be forthcoming.

I think you're right. Something weird is going on at Howard. None of their schedules appear to be up to date and zero info is available as to why. This has all the makings of a not so good outcome.

And a quick look discovers that their softball team cancelled a weekend series this past weekend.
DallasLaxDad

New postby GreenWithIvy on Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:10 pm

FYI, Breaking news this afternoon from Howard. Answers our questions:

Howard University has suspended all of its intercollegiate athletics teams for what appears to be a violation of NCAA rules. University spokeswoman Kerry-Ann Hamilton issued this statement:

It is with great regret that we have temporarily suspended intercollegiate athletic competition. This is a self-imposed action while the University conducts a review. We are working quickly to resolve this issue.

More details as they become available.

Read it here:
http://www.washingtoncitypaper.com/blog ... ams-games/
GreenWithIvy

New postby all.about.lax on Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:26 pm

WOW.

How unfortunate for those student-athletes. I applaud Howard for being pro-active, but it sounds like they're in a whole bunch of trouble and ultimately it sucks for those student-athletes...I've never heard of anything like this.
all.about.lax

Sponsor

Next

Return to Women's Lacrosse