WOW! Cal Lax being cut

WOW! Cal Lax being cut

New postby wlaxref on Tue Sep 28, 2010 5:14 pm

Just came across this in the SF Chronicle....very sad news for Theresa and her team:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c ... .DTL&tsp=1
wlaxref

Re: WOW! Cal Lax being cut

New postby wlaxref on Tue Sep 28, 2010 5:21 pm

More info in Lacrosse Magazine article just posted -
http://www.laxmagazine.com/college_wome ... y_decision
wlaxref

New postby juniorlax on Tue Sep 28, 2010 5:55 pm

SDSU just picked up some players....if they want em. What do they say in business? "nothing grows straight up from the ground"....For some programs to grow other might need to contract......In a years time, everyone will be somewhere, playing or coaching, if they want.......
juniorlax

Cal lacrosse program cut

New postby Sucalax on Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:31 pm

Very unfortunate that they decide to cut women's lacrosse program at Cal. It is going to hurt the growth of lacrosse out west that is for sure.
Sucalax

New postby Sucalax on Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:45 pm

Not that easy...Very unfortunate for these girls. You have friends and relationships that you have built, academic considerations and coaches that lost there jobs. Not to mention the young girls that have committed to the school.
Make your voice known, this is not good for the sport of lacrosse.
Sucalax

New postby hws196 on Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:30 pm

With the issues California is having, I hope the other UC programs are not in jeopardy of being cut.
hws196

New postby LarryGamLax on Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:43 pm

wlaxref wrote:Just came across this in the SF Chronicle....very sad news for Theresa and her team:

This may sound harsh, but I don't feel bad at all for Theresa. I do have strong feelings for the players and I hate seeing a lax program get cut. My hope is that all of the Cal girls will continue to play college Lacrosse if that is their desire. Good luck to the players.
LarryGamLax

New postby rc13 on Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:57 pm

hws196 wrote:With the issues California is having, I hope the other UC programs are not in jeopardy of being cut.
It's VERY serious--baseball is reportedly cut after this season.
rc13

New postby wlaxref on Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:40 pm

LarryGamLax wrote:
wlaxref wrote:Just came across this in the SF Chronicle....very sad news for Theresa and her team:

This may sound harsh, but I don't feel bad at all for Theresa. I do have strong feelings for the players and I hate seeing a lax program get cut. My hope is that all of the Cal girls will continue to play college Lacrosse if that is their desire. Good luck to the players.

Gee Larry, as usual you're all heart....
wlaxref

New postby juniorlax on Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:54 pm

to that thought, that "this is bad for Wlax, etc" How so? When a river dries up somewhere, it opens somewhere else. It's fine to have a business go out somewhere, yet open somewhere else. Look, CA has bigger problems that what sports to fund at Cal-Berkely. That is all this is..a decision on what to fund, and what not. Single decision that is isolated by a certain point in time. Cal B does not want this sport. Someone else will.
juniorlax

New postby rc13 on Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:08 pm

Cal B does not want this sport. Someone else will.
I don't agree. This is a Pac-12 school that is cutting baseball! There are very serious financial problems in the state of California. Its flagship university is gutting the athletic department. There are a lot of casualties that have nothing to do with whether or not this sport is "wanted."
rc13

New postby LadyLaker on Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:16 pm

Listen many of you know that CAL Lax has been very close to our family.

Go back and re-read my posts from the last year...you know, the ones that hint of a hatchet falling, the state of CAlifornia being broke, protests blah blah blah....bottom line - this decision does not surprise me one bit. Frankly from a business standpoint that harsh reality is that much of the lax team's travel was done by air (with the added costs of bus rentals and hotels and food). Parents did a ton...and I mean A TON to help mitigate those costs. The other harsh reality is that the program has struggled in hte past few years. Combine an expensive overhead with a less than hoped-for season W-L record with the change in leadership and those two things together spell death of a program.

So no WLax being cut at CAL doesn't surprise ne.

What does surprise me is the hatchet falling on the national championship rugby team...and yeah the AD (herself a former laxer) says she's just downgrading it to club but this is a huge hit to a highly successful program. My bet is the rugby alums who give in the 7 figures won't go quietly in the night nor should they.

My daughter got a fantastic education at CAL and I mean FANTASTIC. More than that, my daughter was in a place where the opportunities to learn and the exposure to those opportuniites helped her to evolve into a woman she would not be had she gone to a college that was an extension of her HS experience. And that is my sadness today -- many athletes will be leaving CAL looking for opps to play the sports they love....and they will miss the uniqueness of the Berkeley experience.

They are slated to play this spring but I am betting many of the girls will think long and hard about dropping out of the program now, seeking a release from the coach, and transferring mid-year.

These are sad days for the athletes at CAL...so it is with a heavy heart that I ask you all, for just today, to join me in a chorus of:

GO BEARS!

LL
Being "Over the Hill" is much better than being under it!
LadyLaker

New postby D-Lax on Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:44 pm

LL: Totally agree. The Cal rugby team is storied. Being downgraded is almost like being dropped. What happens now to the status of the MPSF on the WLAX side?
D-Lax

New postby hws196 on Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:53 pm

rc13 wrote:
hws196 wrote:With the issues California is having, I hope the other UC programs are not in jeopardy of being cut.
It's VERY serious--baseball is reportedly cut after this season.

Sorry I did not make myself clear I meant other UC school women's lacrosse programs. Are they in jeopardy of being cut?
hws196

New postby topcat225 on Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:57 pm

Go BEARS!!!!
topcat225

New postby ev00rams on Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:05 pm

It makes sense to reduce from 29 sports to 24. The NCAA minimum to remain Division One is 14 sports. But including lacrosse in the cuts over other teams at CAL doesn't make sense. Some of the choices seem matter of fact and a sign of the times for at least two of the sports trimmed. But someone high up in the UC Berkeley administration must really be a field hockey booster. Girl's lacrosse is booming at the youth and interscholastic level in California and all over the United Sates. Field hockey is not booming, at least not in California, at either of these levels. Women's lacrosse has a conference of all western United States schools, the MPSF. Field hockey has four schools in an east division of the NorPAC.

MPSF - http://mpsports.cstv.com/photos/schools/mpsf/sports/w-lacros/auto_pdf/wlax-standings.pdf

NorPAC - http://www.norpacfieldhockey.com/standings/index.html

Another possible situation is that if rugby stays in the Athletic Department (even as Varsity Club) their head count remains a factor in the gender equity situation. That is an area of inequity where the CAL women's lacrosse players could focus. The Women's Sports Foundation could be a huge help in this case.

Women's Sports Foundation - http://www.womenssportsfoundation.org/

If the 80 or so male rugby athletes continue to receive varsity level support this layman thinks they should be counted as varsity male athletes. But a civil rights attorney would be the best person to investigate it.
ev00rams

New postby LIkeeper30 on Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:13 pm

Umm ok people,

This situation is way worse than I feel many folks are giving it credit for. As a native East Coaster who has been a part of California lacrosse for the past 10 years or so, this is an enormous disappointment to not only the Cal Bears, but to the continued West Coast growth of the fastest growing sport in the nation. Even in light of LGL's ridiculous and insensitive comment about Cal's coach, (I'm sure he's spent a great deal of quality time in the Bay Area over the last 4 years in order to come to his opinion of said coach) keep it classy LGL, way to go ... this is a real issue out here. Cal lacrosse and all the work Jill Malko put in to create this program, and Theresa Sherry has since put in to continue it, goes far beyond the UC Berkeley campus, and the NCAA W/L record they've put up over the past 12 years.

Cal lacrosse and it's coaches have run most recently the Bear Lax high school club program. This club program has helped quite a few young ladies get seen and recruited to not only play for Cal, but for other DI, DII, and DIII teams as well as all of the elite WDIA teams on the West Coast. The Cal Elite summer lacrosse camp has been a great place for the young ladies of Northern California to get a truly great lax camp experience with excellent coaching and facilities and have it locally instead of having to pay thousands of dollars to fly back East to get a good camp. It's also been a place for CA residents to pay "in state UC" tuition, vs. say being forced to attend school out of state, and pay for it. While Stanford also offers an elite camp, they can only accommodate so many campers, and at this point with the growth of the game at the high school and now junior high level, having both camps was becoming a necessity. Cal's alumnae players and coaches are also in abundance in the Bay Area as it it's a pretty choice place to live, and they almost all give back to the sport in some way whether it be as coaches, or referee's. Not to mention that these ladies are now going to HAVE to transfer out of one of the most elite academic institutions in the country if they want to continue to be student/athletes.

For a program like Cal to drop lacrosse in this part of the country will have a much greater impact on the sport as a whole than even if one of the ALC, or ACC powerhouse teams were to drop it. Those schools are a dime a dozen on the East coast, but the MPSF is still growing, and offers the only opportunity to play DI lacrosse West of Notre Dame. Another question is who is to follow? If UC Berkeley chose to drop lacrosse, will UC Davis not also consider it? In a time when there could've been a possible push for the entire Pac- 10 (12) to get lacrosse as a DI option for this side of the country, this is a major set back.

Just wasn't too thrilled with the apparent blase attitude that many posters were posting with. This is not an "easy come, easy go" situation out here. I wish all the players of this program the best of luck, and I'm also sorry that so many alums will have to say "I played DI lacrosse, but they don't have a team there anymore". I'll throw out a GO BEARS!!! Best of luck ladies.
"by failing to prepare, you are preparing to fail"
LIkeeper30

New postby godukes on Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:32 pm

My heart goes out to the girls of Cal Lacrosse, as we saw this situation occur four years ago to the women of Ohio University it is a horrible situation. for the girls who choose to stay at Cal, those who transfer and those who are signed and not even at the school this will change everything many of them have worked for and earned, especially the seniors on the team. No athlete expects this to occur and it really encourages every athlete to appreciate every day they have with their team.

good luck players and coaches of cal lacrosse, best of luck
godukes

New postby LadyLaker on Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:47 am

ev00rams wrote: But someone high up in the UC Berkeley administration must really be a field hockey booster. Girl's lacrosse is booming at the youth and interscholastic level in California and all over the United Sates. Field hockey is not booming, at least not in California, at either of these levels. Women's lacrosse has a conference of all western United States schools, the MPSF. Field hockey has four schools in an east division of the NorPAC.

This is where some institutional knowledge is germane to the conversation.

Field Hockey at CAL is a highly successful program. They regularly play and compete (read: win or at least are competitive in games) with top 10 schools, many of which are on the east coast.
Lacrosse simply could not make the leap to the big gals as field hockey had. Jill Malko did a great job starting the program at CAL. The past few years CAL Lacrosse struggled if we are being totally honest. Was it a program on the rise? That's like politics -- you can find someone to argue yes; another to argue just as compellingly another opinion. It's not for me to say. I can say that CAL could not compete (yet) with Lax Top 10 schools. Hockey at the high school level is HUGE in CAL, especially in SoCal. Frrankly it's much bigger there than in Maryland. When a school is looking at cutting programs, common sense would dictate you don't cut the successful ones....precisely why the Rugby "demotion" is so painful. But my understanding is the school is looking to cut the # of athletes (to cut the costs associated with student-athletes) and rugby has an 80-member squad. Field hockey was among the teams being considered (not sure how seriously but I had heard it mentioned). Hockey and lax have similar squad numbers so then you look at respective team's success...lax just couldn't compete with the success of hockey. My words may sound harsh - reality often is.

And yeah the MPSF was there but still the lax team had to fly to most of its games, even some of those MPSF games.

What I hope is taken from this (and I said the same when Ohio went through this) is that ADs look at the long-term implications of starting a program. And, more importantly, the collateral damage brought to bear when you cut that program.

LL
Being "Over the Hill" is much better than being under it!
LadyLaker

New postby tshea on Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:20 am

My heart is with a terrific bunch of girls. That being said, they have triumphed over worse. I wish them all the best in their futures, at Cal or at the other schools to which they may transfer.

GO BEARS!

http://www.calbears.com/sports/w-lacros ... 10aaa.html
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son." Dean Wormer
tshea

Sponsor

Next

Return to Women's Lacrosse