Pat Dillon Steps Down as US Lacrosse Rules Chair

Pat Dillon Steps Down as US Lacrosse Rules Chair

New postby DakotaDan on Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:58 pm

BALTIMORE � US Lacrosse's long-serving women's lacrosse rules committee chair Pat Dillon has stepped down after serving in this capacity for 19 years.

Dillon has been instrumental in the growth of lacrosse for more than 25 years through her service at both the national and local levels. A top-rated national women's umpire and former player at Towson ('72), Dillon served as chair of the US Lacrosse Board of Directors from 2004 to 2006, and completed nearly a decade of service on the US Lacrosse Executive Committee. Dillon has served as chair of the US Lacrosse Rules Committee since 1991 and as secretary/rules editor of the NCAA Women's Lacrosse Rules Committee since 2006.

She is a member of the board of directors for the Potomac Chapter of US Lacrosse, serving as treasurer. She also served on the National Umpiring Committee for 10 years and as the chair of the Washington Lacrosse Umpires Association from 1985 to 2003. Dillon was inducted into the US Lacrosse Potomac Chapter Hall of Fame in 2004 and in 2008 she was inducted into the National Lacrosse Hall of Fame as a truly great contributor.

"Pat has been a very public and influential figure in our sport, and this position is one of the most important volunteer leadership positions within US Lacrosse," said Ann Carpenetti, US Lacrosse's women's division director.

"For as long as US Lacrosse has been in existence, Pat Dillon has been a key point of contact for the lacrosse public, equipment manufacturers and administrators seeking to gain a greater understanding of the unique aspects of the women's game. Pat's contributions to the game are too great to measure, and we are thankful for everything she has done to help US Lacrosse maintain the integrity of the women's game. We look forward to working with our newly appointed Chair to ensure that the good work of this restructured committee continues."

US Lacrosse has appointed a new women's rules chair, Lissa Fickert, to lead the subcommittee. Actively working at the youth, high school and college levels, Fickert has been a national umpire for over 10 years and has officiated more than 15 state/regional high school finals, 8 WDIA championship finals, several NCAA tournament games and the U-17 Festival in Peterborough, Canada.

In 2010, Fickert was inducted into the Ohio Lacrosse Hall of Fame. She has served as a US Lacrosse clinician and region chair, board chair, trainer and rules interpreter in the Great Lakes region. Fickert has also served on the US Lacrosse Women's Division Board of Governors, the WDIA Council and US Lacrosse Safety Committee. In addition to holding the position as the Rules Chair, she currently serves on the US Lacrosse Board of Directors.

Fickert and National Rule Interpreter, Ericka Leslie will lead the 2011 USL women's rules interpretation sessions at the 2011 US Lacrosse National Convention in Baltimore, Md., Jan. 21-23. Dillon and National Coordinator, Kim Basner, will continue to lead the NCAA rules interpretation sessions at this event.
DakotaDan
Site Admin

Re: Pat Dillon Steps Down as US Lacrosse Rules Chair

New postby laxlucy on Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:26 pm

If this has anything to do with that nonsense last Spring, that is very sad.
laxlucy

New postby shoogiewoof on Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:30 pm

Looks like you know who won that battle. Too bad for lacrosse.
shoogiewoof

New postby HoCO on Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:54 pm

Sandy Worth is no longer associated with Maryland Lacrosse. Very sad for lacrosse, shoogie.
HoCO

New postby living4lax on Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:33 pm

Although this past May's drama is not far from mind with this announcement, Dillon has done A LOT for wlax. A LOT. Drama or no drama, thank you for a good run.
living4lax

New postby D-Lax on Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:59 pm

living4lax: Very well said. I, surely, would hope that none of the politics from the end of last season has had an impact on the current situation. Unfortunately, looking in from the outside, this appears to be the case. Thank you, Pat, for all that you have done for the game!
D-Lax

New postby luvtowatch on Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:39 pm

Why would anyone even mention the issue of the spring commentary. Doesn't she deserve the respect of retirement without tying it to the hype? I'm sure she will continue to contribute to lacrosse in major ways...and sometimes change is healthy for all.
luvtowatch

New postby LadyLaker on Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:44 am

I agree with luvtowtach that Pat can certainly retire, and retire wtih her head held high for all she has done for our game, whenever she chooses; however the events of last spring were so outrageous that it is human nature to draw a line between the two events - correctly or not.

Regardless, Pat Dillon has served women's lacrosse very well and in the future, people will look at what she did for the game, not the ridiculousness of last spring.

LL
Being "Over the Hill" is much better than being under it!
LadyLaker

New postby clublax on Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:59 am

Dont fool yourself. This has everything to do with what happened last spring with NU's accusations. I doubt Pat would have stepped down from a role where she has done an outstanding job in if not for what happened in the spring. I only hope that Pat will continue to officiate although I could understand that she may feel a little jaded and betrayed.
clublax

New postby LaxMaven on Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:40 am

clublax wrote:Dont fool yourself. This has everything to do with what happened last spring with NU's accusations. I doubt Pat would have stepped down from a role where she has done an outstanding job in if not for what happened in the spring.

Makes sense to me, but I'm shocked we haven't heard from the "Purple Nation" coming to the aid of their damsel in distress with the REAL reason she stepped down! It CAN'T have anything to do with KAH, can it? She's perfect!
LaxMaven

New postby Pat Dillon on Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:35 am

Ok folks, let me hit this head on! This is what went into the decision to step away from USL and the Rules Committee:

1. I've been doing this for 19 years, a long time for anyone to be in any position. I needed a break.

2. USL has undergone a reorganization of it's structure. The Rules Committee was part of that restructuring. All volunteer positions were being evaluated and it just made sense to step away now to allow someone new to step in at the beginning of this process.

3. Working with the USL rules AND the NCAA rules committees and the ever increasing work load that entailed plus all the other things I'm involved with in my local Chapter and local umpiring board has been taking a significant amount of my time. Something had to give! While my parents are in fairly good health all things considered, they are soon to be 91 and 87 years of age. I think it's realistic to expect that they will require more help and attention and I want to have the time to provide that for them.

It's not easy stepping away but I will continue to remain involved in lacrosse and I'm going to continue to officiate both at the high school and college levels. This had absolutely NOTHING to do with what happened at the end of last season. All I'll say about that is I've been offered a new contract by the NCAA to continue as the Secretary/Rules Editor for women's lacrosse and I'll continue to officiate collegiate lacrosse.

Thanks to previous posters who've offered positive comments. I look forward to a great 2011 season!
Pat Dillon

New postby Turtles Lax on Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:51 am

First hand and official/true info posted on Laxpower? How cool is that? 8-)

Pat, thank you for your myriad contributions to the sport. Thank you, too, for your decision to continue your service to the sport.

Peace, out.

TL
Turtles Lax

New postby OnTheX on Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:19 am

One word. Class.
Never clear to the middle
OnTheX

New postby jrknox on Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:43 pm

I guess it's safe to assume there was no massive pension that vested upon the 20 year mark. :lol:
Thanks from the Lax community.
jrknox

New postby PerfectPass2 on Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:32 pm

As always representing the sport with class and professionalism

good luck, cant wait to see you back on the field
PerfectPass2

New postby LaxLazer on Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:15 pm

jrknox wrote:I guess it's safe to assume there was no massive pension that vested upon the 20 year mark. :lol:
Thanks from the Lax community.

How about a big red cup at a tailgate.... 8)
When you're right, no one remembers. When you're wrong, no one forgets.
LaxLazer

New postby paesan34 on Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:20 pm

Very kind of Pat to explain the situation to all of us. We can only hope her decision was exactly what she wanted and had nothing to do with the unseemly behavior of the northwestern staff last spring. Most importantly, the very best ref in the game, will remain on the field.
paesan34

New postby laxreality1 on Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:24 pm

When does Stenersen step down? His mis-leading has not helped the game.
laxreality1

New postby silverstick on Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:27 pm

Than you, Pat. :clap:
silverstick

New postby LarryGamLax on Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:05 pm

laxreality1 wrote:When does Stenersen step down? His mis-leading has not helped the game.

I've known Steve Stenersen for a long time and I think he's a good dude, who works really hard for the game, and really cares about Lacrosse. My suggestion is that he would be more than willing to listen to you about his "mis-leading" if you contact him.
LarryGamLax

Sponsor

Next

Return to Women's Lacrosse