Just for fun, Who's your final 4?

Re: Bodyguards!!!

New postby fanofall on Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:15 pm

Turtles Lax wrote:TL will need a bodyguard if this is the Final 4. Multiple bodyguards, actually. :?

TL might retain TopCat and fanofall; they are toughies. :whew:

Hmmmmm, now for someone from Dook who will put in a good word... :roll:

Peace, out.

TL

Since she has dual citizenship, I think TL would be much better off with Mrs. Jap as a bodyguard, she's just as tough and has much better people skills.
fanofall

Re: Just for fun, My Final 4

New postby thinker on Sun Apr 17, 2011 4:25 pm

73BlueJay wrote:And just to add to the fun, Johns Hopkins knocked off Northwestern today 12-11. That gives the Wildcats two losses in a row and the Lady Jays two wins over top five teams this year. What's next ??

What's next is for all in D1 to see that NU Is mortal once again.Thank you Florida and Hopkins! Gotta say I do enjoy seeing NU lose because so many posters who are fans of NU love piling on and lording it over other posters when NU is winning.

Interesting thought: All 3 teams left on NU schedule have a power rating as good or better than Hopkins. I don't think NU will likely end in a five game skid but it would certanly be a tasty humble pie .
thinker

Re: Bodyguards!!!

New postby Unibrow on Sun Apr 17, 2011 4:43 pm

thinker wrote:
What's next is for all in D1 to see that NU Is mortal once again.Thank you Florida and Hopkins! Gotta say I do enjoy seeing NU lose because so many posters who are fans of NU love piling on and lording it over other posters when NU is winning.

Interesting thought: All 3 teams left on NU schedule have a power rating as good or better than Hopkins. I don't think NU will likely end in a five game skid but it would certanly be a tasty humble pie .

Spoken like a member of a club formed in the Spring of 2009, the ABNWC (Anybody But NorthWestern Coaltion)! There hasn't been a meeting in nearly a year, but old feelings die hard.
"T'was a brave man, indeed, that et the first oyster"
Unibrow

New postby slides2 on Sun Apr 17, 2011 5:54 pm

thinker wrote:What's next is for all in D1 to see that NU Is mortal once again.Thank you Florida and Hopkins! Gotta say I do enjoy seeing NU lose because so many posters who are fans of NU love piling on and lording it over other posters when NU is winning.

Really, Thinker? We celebrated five championships without being half as obnoxious as the Terp fans celebrated one.
slides2

New postby Turtles Lax on Sun Apr 17, 2011 6:39 pm

Example, por favor?

And YOUR NATIONAL CHAMPION UNIVERSITY OF MARYLAND TERRAPINS have eleven (11) National Championships...for the record.

Peace, out.

TL

slides2 wrote:
thinker wrote:What's next is for all in D1 to see that NU Is mortal once again.Thank you Florida and Hopkins! Gotta say I do enjoy seeing NU lose because so many posters who are fans of NU love piling on and lording it over other posters when NU is winning.

Really, Thinker? We celebrated five championships without being half as obnoxious as the Terp fans celebrated one.
Turtles Lax

New postby njbill on Sun Apr 17, 2011 6:57 pm

slides2 wrote:

Boy, I have to agree with slides2. I usually only get myself in trouble when I wander over here to the women’s forum, but I have for years been perplexed by the anti-Northwestern posts and all the name calling (though some are clever). I’m not from Maryland so I don’t drink the Kool-Aid down there, and I never held the view that the national championship was a God-given right of the Terps that was only temporarily loaned to other schools. So maybe I just don’t get it, but having read all the NU posts over the years, I frankly never saw many that I thought were mean spirited or unsporting.

But in the last year or so, coinciding with Maryland’s return to power, the crazies have come out of the woodwork. The high school team I follow has for years had a number of yahoo posters, much like Maryland has now, who embarrass the team and its followers. I tried many times publicly and privately to address the problems, never to any avail. So I feel for the many (majority of) good, respectful Terp fans who have to suffer the idiot posters. If one just watches the Terps on the field, there is a lot to like. It is hard not to be a fan of the way the Terps play the game, and I am. But unfortunately some of the positives that the team accomplishes get washed away by the bleating of a few bozos. Maybe Laxpower could create a sub-forum for them called “Maryland is greater than the greatest team of all time” or something like that.
njbill

New postby njbill on Sun Apr 17, 2011 7:03 pm

Turtles Lax wrote:Example, por favor?

And YOUR NATIONAL CHAMPION UNIVERSITY OF MARYLAND TERRAPINS have eleven (11) National Championships...for the record.

Peace, out.

TL

slides2 wrote:

I rest my case.
njbill

New postby seacoaster on Sun Apr 17, 2011 7:47 pm

slides2 wrote:

This, from my no skin in the game, love of the sport perspective, is absolutely the case. The Terpentines are irksome.
seacoaster

New postby Turtles Lax on Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:28 pm

And that's the best you can come up with as a reply? Wow.

Peace, out.

TL
Turtles Lax

New postby Turtles Lax on Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:37 pm

njbill wrote:... So maybe I just don’t get it, but having read all the NU posts over the years, I frankly never saw many that I thought were mean spirited or unsporting. ...

Well, Bill, perhaps you should have been paying attention to the posts after the Terps' win last May. :hand:

Peace, out.

TL
Turtles Lax

New postby Certified Whiner on Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:11 pm

Turtles Lax wrote:And that's the best you can come up with as a reply? Wow.

Peace, out.

TL

Otter: Dead! Bluto's right. Psychotic, but absolutely right. We gotta take these [deleted]. Now we could do it with conventional weapons that could take years and cost millions of lives. No, I think we have to go all out. I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part.

TL,

Here is a link to help understand NJ Bill...

http://yahoo.match.com/y/article.aspx?a ... rID=686129
Certified Whiner

Location: South of Rowan, North of LL, East of LGL, West of Australia

New postby Hey Vern on Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:23 pm

Hey Thinker,
Not a bad prediction you made for who would end up in the final four, especially considering you made it in March.
Maryland ACC
Duke ACC
Florida American Conf
Loyola Big East

I would add UNC and take out Loyola. Loyal is good but I think they're a year away from being in the final four. UNC is very good. They're the only team that Maryland has faced so far that could run with them. It could be that Duke or UNC may face UM before the final four and so knock one of them out. I beg to differ with you considering the "Cuse". Not very good this year. It's a pretty lame argument you're making on the Cuse's behalf that they only lost to UM by 2 goals, therefore they will be a team to be afraid of in the tournament. Florida, my friend is a team that many don't want to play come tourny time. I would enjoy seeing the Gators and Terps play. Both teams play the way the game was meant to play, pedal to the metal! Now getting back to the Cuse-they could only beat 2 teams with winning records so far this year, not good. The Cuse at this posting is 5-7, not deserving of a tournament bid unless they win their conference, which I'd be surprised if they did. When the G-Man signed on to coach the "Cuse" I thought he'd bring them a national title in 3 years. Now I'm pretty sure that Florida will get a title way before the Godfather will. I believe that the Gators have a shot next year and very definitely the year after of winning a national championship, they're that good. Most of the Gator team are sophomores for crying out loud. They'll only keep getting better and better, oh my! The reason why they are so good-speed, speed, amd more speed, plus throw in plenty of quickness and stick skills. It's the direction that they game is going in D1 now. If you don't have UM, UNC, and Florida (NU started this speed thing you know) type speed, you won't win a national championship these days. This is the reason for NU's slightly off season (gee, 2 loses and everyone thinks it's a bad year for the purple cats), NU lacks the team speed that it has had over the last six years.
Hey Vern

New postby slides2 on Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:31 pm

Turtles Lax wrote:
njbill wrote:... So maybe I just don’t get it, but having read all the NU posts over the years, I frankly never saw many that I thought were mean spirited or unsporting. ...

Well, Bill, perhaps you should have been paying attention to the posts after the Terps' win last May. :hand:

Peace, out.

TL

OK, I've looked. Some carping about the refs, but this came from both sides. Some dispute about Katrina Dowd's sportsmanship (which I never understood in the first place). A number of congratulations, perhaps made through gritted teeth, from the NU fans. But nothing truly mean spirited. So what are you talking about, TL?
slides2

New postby LaxMaven on Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:19 pm

Hey Vern wrote:Hey Thinker,
Not a bad prediction you made for who would end up in the final four, especially considering you made it in March.
Maryland ACC
Duke ACC
Florida American Conf
Loyola Big East

I would add UNC and take out Loyola. Loyal is good but I think they're a year away from being in the final four.

Hey Vern, If it isn't this year, I seriously doubt it's next. 5 of top 6 scorers (and 2 other starters) are seniors, including a Tewaaraton nominee.
LaxMaven

New postby thinker on Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:59 pm

Hey Vern wrote:Hey Thinker,
Maryland ACC
Duke ACC
Florida American Conf
Loyola Big East

I would add UNC and take out Loyola. Loyal is good but I think they're a year away from being in the final four. UNC is very good. They're the only team that Maryland has faced so far that could run with them. It could be that Duke or UNC may face UM before the final four and so knock one of them out. I beg to differ with you considering the "Cuse". Not very good this year. It's a pretty lame argument you're making on the Cuse's behalf that they only lost to UM by 2 goals, therefore they will be a team to be afraid of in the tournament. Florida, my friend is a team that many don't want to play come tourny time. I would enjoy seeing the Gators and Terps play. Both teams play the way the game was meant to play, pedal to the metal! Now getting back to the Cuse-they could only beat 2 teams with winning records so far this year, not good. The Cuse at this posting is 5-7, not deserving of a tournament bid unless they win their conference, which I'd be surprised if they did. When the G-Man signed on to coach the "Cuse" I thought he'd bring them a national title in 3 years. Now I'm pretty sure that Florida will get a title way before the Godfather will. I believe that the Gators have a shot next year and very definitely the year after of winning a national championship, they're that good. Most of the Gator team are sophomores for crying out loud. They'll only keep getting better and better, oh my! The reason why they are so good-speed, speed, amd more speed, plus throw in plenty of quickness and stick skills. It's the direction that they game is going in D1 now. If you don't have UM, UNC, and Florida (NU started this speed thing you know) type speed, you won't win a national championship these days. This is the reason for NU's slightly off season (gee, 2 loses and everyone thinks it's a bad year for the purple cats), NU lacks the team speed that it has had over the last six years.

Vern , I think your assessment is spot on and would add to team speed: unselfish play , moving the ball in the air. All who handle the ball in the air can beat a faster team. If you already have a fast or the fastest team, top to bottom, then that combination is deadly and unstoppable.
I don't think Cuse is a threat to run deep in the playoffs but, because Gary is the coach , they can Knock someone out. Any given Sunday.
lax Maven , Agreed , it's this year or not. Loyola's success is due to the depth of the squad on the field. The sum of the parts has delivered wins but scores haven't shown them dominate the good opponents with the exception of 1st game vs Virginia.
With 6 seniors starting, next years squad will be young, not a team made for a run to the final 4.

Florida dominates .MD Dominates . Loyola my " out on a limb" pick simply wins. Until they show they can lose, I'm sticking with them. Duke is deep and talented , also not dominating.
UNC's Loss to Penn takes them out of the equation for me , Their loss to UPENN says they are not an unbeatable juggernaut, the kind of stuff that takes you to the final 4.

Georgetown-Loyola game will be a test of coaching Freed vs. Adams. The first pressure showdown to see how far Adams can go with this talented team. The parts are there, will Loyola deliver?

Georgetown has been inconsist and lost a lot of games. Loyola has played inconsistent but has , so far, come out a winner every week. Loyola should win by 5 over Gtown with depth of talent on field. By looking at the scores, Loyola has not put together consistent dominating team wins over lesser opponents. Winning by talent will get you so far. They now need to add teamwork, chemistry and some smart coaching to live up to my early March Prediction.

All the teams I picked for final 4 were picked because I thought they were strong top to bottom and played as a team. The 5th -11th player were stronger playing together than the opponent's players. In order to deliver through the stretch they need to maintain the consistency I thought they were capable of. So far so good. Besides , it was for fun , way back in March. It's easy to reevaluate now and will be easier in 3 weeks still.
Last edited by thinker on Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
thinker

Re: Just for fun, Who's your final 4?

New postby Hey Vern on Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:34 pm

Well said Thinker.
Hey Vern

New postby thinker on Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:09 am

lbbear wrote:Thinker, I challenge you to substantiate your comments earlier about NU fans and posters. Your post seems mean spirited to me and it does not appear to serve the idea of a forum for discussion and information. It is merely a negative opinion leading to no particular end. It does not further discourse in any constructive way that I can see.

here are a few I picked up when I searched Northwestern. Sorry NULax, Your Postings were the most prevalent. I understand you are passionate, it just irks others when a winner is gloating.

NU Just beat North Carolina, a perennial powerhouse by 14 and we read postings like this.
Re: Northwestern 21, North Carolina 7 - 2009 Championship
Another reason for not going to NU.
All the extra hardware they have to carry along. It must weight a ton after a while.

(sorry, I couldn't help myself) by NU Lax

Or upon beating Duke another Elite team by 10 goals:
Northwestern 18, Duke 8 (Final)
Another dominating performance on both sides of the field. 5 players with hat tricks
Spencer 4g, 2a
Fitzgerald 4g
Dowd 3g, 1a
Smith 3g, 1a
Macaluso 3g
NuLax
of course those stats are factual, but not necessary to trumpet

Or a team that Northwestern beat by 22 scoring the last goal in the last 30 seconds, was it necessary really?
Re: Northwestern 23, Duquesne 1 (Final)
Norrthwestern fan's Response:
3) The Northwestern team plays 100% for the the full game and that's a bad thing?

Yes, when it comes to sportsmanship.
nobody wants their nose rubbed in a loss.

The hubris of comparing a single player to an entire team: The official game announcer for NU, later quoted by a poster:
Re: Vandy at NW - Defacto ALC Title Game
Or as the announcer said
Spencer 7, Vandy 6 at the half.
by NU Lax

And since this forum addresses Florida's recent win over NU , Remember last year's game?
Northwestern 19 vs Florida 5 (Final)
by NU Lax on Sun May 02, 2010 2:39 pm
10-0 in 1Q
clinic in progress.
Last edited by NU Lax on Sun May 02, 2010 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hey, I don't make this stuff up.

So,LBBear, Since you want to stay on topic in this forum, who is your pick for Final 4 ?
Heck, have fun with it , my out on a limb team( Loyola) took a painful kick tonight from what I thought was a lesser team. I may have to reevaluate them. Who do you have?
thinker

New postby Artemis3 on Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:21 pm

All this bickering regarding NU Cats....reminds me of the good old days when the rest of the lax world was licking their wounds after getting "educated" by the Terps for 7 straight years. Here's the reality...

1. Maryland is that good again.
2. NU isn't far behind...just a little slower.
3. Florida has no fear which given 1& 2 is a very good thing
4. Tarheels/Dookies

I select #4 lovingly...because it really doesn't matter which one of these two make it...stats don't lie and the last time I checked neither team has won the big game.

No matter, the Final Four should be a good one...that is if you are up for a trip to LI.

Cheers
"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."
Artemis3

New postby thinker on Thu Apr 21, 2011 2:11 am

Artemis , You are stirring the pot with that Maryland comment.

I think you would have a lot of company with those 4 as it stands right now.
Keeping Loyola for one more week. Didn't like what I saw vs Gtown though.
Rutgers will tell a lot. Should handle them easily if they are a real contender.

Not because Rutgers is bad , I always liked them , they are tough and swarm as a team. They seem a bit off this year and playing iffy vs some more iffy teams. Rutgers always seems to be under-ranked. I think that is it the inconsistency. They knock off good teams but have odd bad games to boot. Loyola played them very well last year, is this a repeat? Loyola should be better this year and Rutgers is playing less consistently.
thinker

Albany

New postby Unibrow on Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:10 am

The issue of depending on the RPI in a very heavy way by the NCAA selection committee makes one have to wonder how a team achives a quality RPI. By now we all know it is developed by the results of, not only,who a team plays against but also by how strong a team's opponents are and how they do against the competition on their respective schedules. Which brings me to Albany.

Albany is having a great season and are heading for the rarest of events, an undefeated run. They currently have the #7 RPI in Division 1 despite having only played two top 20 ranked teams and beating both. So far, so good.

If Albany continues it's streak and wins out, including the AE Tournament, they will certainly be awarded a first round home game in the NCAA Tournament. All very cool.

Based on their location, there's a good chance their 1st round game will be against either Penn, Princeton, Penn State or Georgetown. Based on their body of work up to that point, any of those games would be an upgrade over the Dane's regular and post season competition (I know, they already played and defeated Penn State, but that was early) to date.

Assuming the seeded Danes hold serve on their home court and the Top 4 seeds win their first games, the real trouble will begin as they would have to hit the road for their next game. Let's check some mileages.

Northeast, NY to Chicago. 849 miles (plane trip)
Northeast, NY to Gainesville, Fl. 1103 miles (plane trip)
Northeast, NY to Durham/Chapel Hill, N.C. 583 miles (plane trip)

Northeast, NY to College Park, Md. 318 miles (hop on the bus, Gus)

How about a chance at a battle of unbeatens?
"T'was a brave man, indeed, that et the first oyster"
Unibrow

Sponsor

PreviousNext

Return to Women's Lacrosse