What skills should a 4/5th grader learn by end of season?

For discussions regarding play below the high school varsity level

New postby GPSays on Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:25 am

Boys. In addition to ground ball form, 1v1 defensive positioning, passing and catching and basic shooting motion. I'll ask this in three parts. Dedicated athlete playing since 1st grade or K (A) ? Rec league player with experience (R)? New player (N)? I assume you put all three the same drills, but just curious about expectations.

Face and Bull Dodge. ARN
Split Dodge (both ways) ARN
Roll Dodge AR N?
Zig-Zag "Dodging" AR N?
Inside Roll Dodge AR N?
Left-Hand Cradle ARN
One-hand cradle ???
OK Left-hand throwing/catching ARN
Strong left-hand throwing/catching A R?
OK Left-hand shooting AR N?
Strong left-hand shooting A R?
Jump shots (jumping up off opposite foot off split dodge or C-cut in front of goal) AR N?
Left-Hand Jump shots A
Right quick stick shots ???
Left quick stick shots ???
Advanced shooting technique A R?N?
Faceoff techniques beyond clamp ???
Over the shoulder catching ARN
Leftie over the shoulder catching A R?N?
Shooting into upper corners A R?N?
Scooping GBs with Left ???

We 've talked about getting this down on paper for each of the U9, U11, U13 and U15 levels, but really aren't getting feedback from high-school coach. I feel very strongly about developing the off-hand at this level, but traditionally that hasn't been taught in our rec leagues until U15. (Kids pick up at camp, however.)
GPSays

Re: What skills should a 4/5th grader learn by end of season?

New postby Myke Honcho on Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:16 pm

Teach and let the kids play box lacrosse and they'll have fun and do fine. Everyone is a middie. Pretty simple.
Myke Honcho

New postby chillandrelax on Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:01 am

How about having fun with his/her friends and trying to get better? You're talking about a 9-10 year old kid.
chillandrelax

New postby GPSays on Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:40 am

Guys, how is being organized about what drills and skills I want to cover inconsistent with fun? I'm already building in lots of fun stuff, like blue-white competition in drills, a "Fun Fifteen" period once a week where kids can pick to practice things like behind the back shots, helmet award stickers, playing their favorite pump-up music during some drills and warm-up and ordering pizza to the field at the end of one practice if they hit their wall ball numbers.
GPSays

New postby Myke Honcho on Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:01 pm

Question: Besides your punch list, how many games do you have scheduled?
Myke Honcho

New postby Irene on Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:32 pm

What about a recruiting seminar for your 4th /5th graders? You don't have that on your list. :doh:
Irene

New postby GPSays on Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:01 am

Wow, this got a little flamey, so I'll step away. Who thought being organized and systematic about teaching skills was somehow a sin? I was curious what coaches thought from bigger hotbeds than mine, but I can tell from youtube videos, what is taught at this age in clinics and my own 4th grader's capabilities what they are able to learn at this age, so except leftie scooping (which I don't think is necessary) and quick sticks (which I think teach good touch in any event) I guess I know enough already.
GPSays

New postby Myke Honcho on Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:27 pm

No need to step away! You're into it. You're dedicated. But, is this list for a club team, or a rec team? I can see you pulling it off with a club team, but with a rec team...I don't know. My reply was directed towards rec team. What I've learned is that you need to find a balance between the kids' needs ( fun) and the coaches' needs (instruction). If you can find that sweet spot, you're golden. The coaches that can pull it off are walking with the KIng.
Myke Honcho

New postby woodenstick on Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:11 pm

I think player development of the off hand is the single most important skill for young players to learn for future play. Specific game skills like face offs and shooting are more important for short term wins.
woodenstick

New postby Irene on Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:28 am

Irene

New postby GPSays on Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:00 pm

16 game rec league season. About 40-50% of the kids will make the travel team and be the core of the travel team.
I also think off-hand development is very important. With a decent sized team, I’ll need to run a lot of parallel drills, which means using different hands anyway. I had my travel kids in the Fall and they now can pass, catch and shoot with their off hands (we had some fun with leftie wall ball contests.)
I believe any 4th and 5th grader can get a decent left hand with a modest amount of work at home against a rebounder or wall.
As I look at the above, I think some quick stick drills are good for touch, but not really necessary for rec league development. I also don’t think one-handed cradling is that important except for my travel attack and middies. I don’t really know enough to teach faceoff techniques and when I got a college coach to do a clinic on it with my travel middies, they didn’t really learn that much anyway. I don’t see the point of left-handed scooping.
I think shooting high is also very optional and I can limit it to my “fun fifteen” drill where kids practice fun stuff that isn’t that fundamental.
I think I can limit the advance shooting techniques to the travel kids. That said, if I teach all the kids the jump shot, they can practice it off the split dodge and C-Cuts. The kids that get it will get it and the ones that don’t will probably just shoot normal, and that’s OK.
I want my more focused attackmen to learn zig-zag and inside roll dodging, and that’s only about 6-8 kids anyway.
I do think I am going to work hard teaching over the shoulder catching, by adding it to my triangle passing warm-up drill, and running a good bit of clearing drills. Doing half-field clearing drills is a good thing to do while the attack do some speciality drills on the other half – it’s also good functional stick skill work if they pass up the ladder.

As I said above, I try a lot of things to make it fun for the kids. I didn't play varsity in college and I'm not a natural Bear Bryant, but they do seem to like what I'm doing and I can get the ballhogs to pass first, so I'll keep trying to improve my coaching and their development.
GPSays

New postby Myke Honcho on Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:28 pm

" LESS IS MORE."
Myke Honcho

New postby Irene on Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:46 pm

Age appropriate practice plans and guidelines from US Lacrosse:

http://www.uslacrosse.org/TopNav2Right/ ... chive.aspx

Quite a bit of info available on the US lacrosse site.
Irene

New postby 1984 on Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:39 pm

Thanks for the link, very informative. So, whats a parent to do when your town lacrosse program doesn't follow those guidelines, and winning in 5th grade is more important than player development, fun and learning the game? I mean, those are guidelines and they make great sense to me, but the people running the program are another planet when it comes to stuff like that!

New postby Gilligan on Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:31 am

You jump in, volunteer, get on the board, coach a team.....................
Gilligan

New postby 1984 on Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:34 pm

In a normal youth lacrosse program that's how you do things, but this is not normal.

New postby fattylax on Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:19 am

GPS,

Focusing on stick skills is VERY important, but I am getting the impression that defense is not the primary focus. It should be, IMO.

Team and individual defensive skills: IE take away checks, communication, slides.....go a long way when helping a player develop real offensive skills.

Let's take the progression of defense vs. offense /rock paper scissors if you will.

Offensive player, with ball at X, just does a pure speed dodge, freeing his hands and getting a good shot off, b/c defensive player wasn't in good position.

So, next time O player tries a pure speed dodge, the individual D is ready and plays good position. O try's a split dodge now....

.....it's not just about teaching the dodges, but where and when.

From x-progression for O against a 'live" defender

Speed dodge (bull or just run)
Split, change of direction, finalizer
inside roll ( tried other two first, Defender still playing good position )
?-mark, b/c inside roll shut down (closing the gate)
rocker step, b/c defender is overplaying the inside roll now, b/c they are beat.

........of course, adding a sliding defender makes the ball carrier think more.

No matter how young...tell them WHY they are learning the skills.

I can't tell you how many kids don't know WHY you yell "ball-release" on GB's.....
.....defensive communication starts with this simple, age old drill.

In short, practicing offensive skills with no real pressure defense does nothing in the long run.
" You know how naive you sound? Senators and Presidents don't have people killed. "

"Oh"....who's being naive Kay". GODFATHER
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50jHVPt8DPA
fattylax

New postby GPSays on Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:00 pm

Thanks for feedback. My plans for the first 3 weeks is pretty defensively focused. A lot of individual defensive work without a stick. A bunch of intrasquad competitions where dodgers compete against defenders with and without sticks down alleys between cones, where defending player gets point if they push them past cones to the outside. 1v1 defending a cone with no stick.

Then a lot of 2v2 3v3 with outlet, 4v4 and scrambles to teach when and how to slide and second slide and recover and play when outnumbered. I got a good defensive DVD from the Brown coach and he really walks through a lot of good drills to teach progressively in this area.

One question I'm not sure about is just how much communication to teach at the U11 level. I know communication is generally very important, but will take a lot of emphasis and I wonder if my focus should be more on teaching the adjacents and far or through defender how to pay attention to when to slough off, when to slide, when to deny the pass and when to second slide. Call "pick" I'm sure.

On the offensive side, other than dodging against pressure, I'm focused on stick skills and moving without the ball fundamentally and a one-dodge, pass first mentality. I was able to get all my kids to pass during Fall Ball, so I'm optimistic about avoiding ball hogging. Also, focusing a lot more on clearing and over-the-shoulder catching and an "express" motion offense than spend much time on 6v6 in the first few weeks. .

I'll take your point and try hard to emphasize "ball-release" on GB's.

Thanks again.
GPSays

New postby laxwheatfield on Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:22 am

Try this:

When scrimmaging.....if you don't here them saying the basics of communication, its a turnover or a penalty.

IE: if the defender doesn't say "I've got man" or "got ball"...he is off the field for a minute.

Same for when someone picks up a GB and doesn't yell release. Say, "nice GB, but you didn't talk, give the ball to red"

Oh, they will be frustrated at first. But they love to scrimmage more. After the second or third scrimmage, they should get the idea.

Then you will hear the sweet music.
laxwheatfield

New postby youthathletics on Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:02 am

laxwheatfield wrote:IE: if the defender doesn't say "I've got man" or "got ball"...he is off the field for a minute.
Love it. I believe this is probably the #1 or #2 biggest problem in youth lacrosse.

Every team has a couple studs that will get your goals, but "TEAM" defense is lacking all the way into HS.

"Offense wins games, Defense wins Championships"
youthathletics

Sponsor

Next

Return to Boys' & Girls' Youth Lacrosse