Opinions on moving 6th graders to 7th/8th Grade teams?

For discussions regarding play below the high school varsity level

Opinions on moving 6th graders to 7th/8th Grade teams?

New postby NDameLAXFan on Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:58 pm

We have two 7th/8th grade teams that only have 15 and 16 players on each team. We have one of our 5/6th grade teams with 20 6th graders. We have discussed moving a couple of the 6th graders up to fill the rosters of those teams but I am very hesitant due to there being such a big size/physical maturity between 6th and 8th graders. Do we just stick with roster sizes of 15 and 16 or move up 6th graders to those teams? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. This is boys lacrosse.
NDameLAXFan

Re: Opinions on moving 6th graders to 7th/8th Grade teams?

New postby 2pontificate on Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:02 pm

Personally, I say let them play with their friends and classmates. "Playing up" is usually a big ego trip the isn't what is best for the kid.
2pontificate

New postby woodenstick on Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:57 pm

There are exceptional cases where it makes sense to move players up. But moving up players who are relatively small away from their classmates to even out rosters and not to benefit the players - no, that is not a good strategy in my opinion. 6th vs 8th grade can be a huge size and maturity difference.
woodenstick

New postby HooDat on Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:23 am

The only way it makes sense to me, is if the kid playing up will be one of your best players on the field at the higher level. That means he has the size to not get hurt, and the skills to exert his will.

Otherwise, I am with 2P - let them play with their friends.
- Straight Sidewalls
- No offset
:text-freedom:
HooDat

New postby 2pontificate on Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:17 am

NDameLAXFan wrote:We have two 7th/8th grade teams that only have 15 and 16 players on each team. We have one of our 5/6th grade teams with 20 6th graders. We have discussed moving a couple of the 6th graders up to fill the rosters of those teams but I am very hesitant due to there being such a big size/physical maturity between 6th and 8th graders. Do we just stick with roster sizes of 15 and 16 or move up 6th graders to those teams? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. This is boys lacrosse.

I just reread the above original post on this thread and one more thing stands out very clearly...moving kids up will best serve the coaches of the teams, not the players or kids. !5 or 16 players on your roster is plenty as long as you have a goalkeeper and the kids show up. Five or six subs is plenty to maintain a rotation. Yes, it might be easier to sub with only 18 kids on the 5/6th grade team, but really keeping 20 kids and their parents happy is no big deal.

Let the kids be age appropriate.
2pontificate

New postby spenny on Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:17 am

if you have a younger kid that you are thinking of moving up, if you have to ask if its a good idea, its probably not.

in the occasions when we have moved kids up its been eminently clear that they were completely ready for the demands of the next age group.
--spenny
I reject your reality and substitute my own

old phorum: http://forums.laxpower.com/list.php?f=1&action=old
spenny

New postby perez24 on Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:46 am

I wouldn't move them up full-time. As you say, there's a huge difference between 6th and 8th grade. Also, as noted earlier, you can work with 15 or 16 kids.

If it's legal and works logistically, you might have a couple of 7th graders available to the 8th grade team and a few 6th graders available to the 7th grade team but with the expectations that (1) their primary responsibility is to play for their grade-specific team and (2) they would get in to the older kids' game only in an emergency. That would set expectations for the younger kids (and their parents).
perez24

Sponsor

Return to Boys' & Girls' Youth Lacrosse