small ball

For discussions regarding play below the high school varsity level

Re: small ball

New postby McMonkey on Mon May 14, 2018 3:02 pm

A response to . . .

thatsmell wrote:http://www.uslacrosse.org/blog/small-ball-a-new-approach-to-lacrosse-player-development

I think this is one of the most important and critical trends in youth lacrosse. It needs to be embraced.
Play small, ball, and keep those kids touching the game. Any way possible. AND make it fun for them.

Elite club teams do a great job of developing talent, but they also (purposefully?) keep the game away from the masses.
Looking at thread titles like "where does my youth club rank?!" etc if further proof.

Nowadays, at many of the top h/s teams, if you don't make varsity your sophomore year in h.s. you're considered a failure. Conversely we also have kids that are signing letters of intent to play for top college programs that haven't played a varsity game yet. What is wrong with this picture?

The reality is many kids peak before puberty. Most kids don't develop until they are in middle/high school. The more kids we can keep in the game until that point, the better. I can't tell you how many great players I've seen that "came from nowhere" their sophomore and Jr years in h/s.

Small ball is part of the solution.

Share the article, get your rec leagues and motivated local parents involved. For the good of the game, please!

:clap:

I really do not know what to say. I have been coaching for 31 years at every single level, and if I can say anything about youth development, it has been said up above me.

Practice
1. Stick skills from three distances: close with hands high/ten yards of so/Alley-pass distance
2. Triangle work -- catch and switch, carry and throwback, roll out, etc.
3. 1 v 1 work and Team D work

Then!!!!!

Speedlax principles and box principles and side-to-side 7 v 7, 7 v 6, 6 v 6, 5 v 5, 5 v 4.

Until the cows come home.

When will this change?????
McMonkey

Re: small ball

New postby thatsmell on Wed May 23, 2018 11:52 am

Monkey,
What triangle drills do you use?
I generally just put kids in groups of threes around a crease and let them practice moving, cutting and dodging "as a unit."
The rules are the kids need to move together as a unit (cut through if a guy comes at you, fill space that was vacated) and keep the stick to the outside when passing.

Anyone have a "best drill" they would like to share?
"I never knew no Godfather. I got my own family, Senator."
thatsmell

Sponsor

Previous

Return to Boys' & Girls' Youth Lacrosse