Aloha Tournaments- LaxSplash Beachlax etc.

For discussions regarding play below the high school varsity level

Aloha Tournaments- LaxSplash Beachlax etc.

New postby Tigeralum34 on Sat May 31, 2014 7:59 am

why do you do it? why drop down to B or drop from B to C?? You have played at A level all year & because you are losing you drop down. Great way to teach the kids how to deal with adversity!!
Tigeralum34

Re: Laxsplash 2014

New postby malty19 on Sat May 31, 2014 10:34 pm

age old question. there are teams that go 0 for during the season that should have never been an A or B team in the 1st place. I can see that. if your team has won a few and competitive in most you should stay IMO. But since Laxsplash and beach lax have been overtaken by club teams - it's hard to know what level is appropriate at times.
malty19

New postby BigAl36 on Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:03 am

Over the past 15 years Splash has changed a great deal in some respects and has remained the same in most others. Early on you could enter in the same division as you played in the spring and you had a chance (small) to make in to the final four. The reality was the AA teams would play A (in u13 and u15), along with the A teams. Over a few years, teams realized if they played A in the spring they had no chance to compete so they would move to B. Same with the B moving to C.

As Clubs grew it only got worse. U15 and u9 have two divisions, A and B. The rest have three A/B/C. The reality - there should be four AA/A/B/C or maybe two divisions Club and Town. Either way Aloha has a limited number of fields and therefore a limit to the total number of teams. Maximizing the number of teams seems to be more important than creating a tournament, like LaxMax, which attempts to get teams in comparable talent divisions. Most of the local teams don't even bother any longer, since half the slots are taken by teams with a club moniker.

I don't blame the Rec coaches for dropping down....Clubs that drop to win are just an embarrassment to the sport. As an example, this weekend two club teams competed in the finals, beating their competition by a combined 88-33, in the B division.
"Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are." John Wooden
BigAl36

New postby Keepers Dome on Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:41 pm

I don't have an issue with REC programs dropping down a bracket for tournaments when CLUB teams are in it. The tournaments should have separate divisions strictly for CLUB teams. An "A" rec team shouldn't have to face a top CLUB team in any tournament.
Keepers Dome

Re: Laxsplash 2015

New postby thatsmell on Sat May 30, 2015 10:37 pm

Al,

Not sure why teams keep going back to this tournament.

More of the same this year (2015) too. If not worse.

More non-competitive lax.

You had an sidewinder club playing down in the REC Tyker b group. Their 3 game scores? 32-5.

Not to be outdone, a tyker team from towsontown played down and outscored their competition 39-4 in 3 games.

Mind you, these were 25 minute running clock halves...

So the 2 teams in the champ beat the rest of the competition 71-9.

Boggles the mind.

And you wonder why so many of these club kids are disappointed once they get to high school and the fields are level(er)...
"I never knew no Godfather. I got my own family, Senator."
thatsmell

Re: Laxsplash

New postby Coogr on Sun May 31, 2015 2:45 pm

Happened to us this weekend. 13 1st year rec players want to go to a tourney. I think "B" because there is no lower at the tourney. Get stomped by teams obviously playing down. Can someone please offer up a true beginners tourney? An opportunity to sell the game to the newest of the new. Maybe we submit rosters at the start and you must play those kids start to finish.......even if you get to the final. Seeing new players on the team you played the night before, and could hang with, suddenly have speed monsters with dynamic sticks really irks me. We didn't want a "B" division trophy, maybe just a "W" so my kids might actually enjoy it. Sry for the vent, glad someone started this topic though.
Coogr

New postby BigAl36 on Mon Jun 01, 2015 11:12 am

Not having paid much attention the last couple of years, it looks like Splash now has A/B/C divisions for every age group. Still doesn't solve the problem. Beach Lax seems to have it right or at least makes an attempt by offering U levels and grade based as well.

You still see teams going "A" during the club season and dropping to B for Splash - Looney's 2021 Orange. Interesting that a club team would enter in the B division in Splash. Even more interesting - their web page says "Looney's 2021 Orange Lax Splash Champs", but doesn't say they won it in the "B" division. Ok to show they won, but are they embarrassed to say that their '21 team won it in B? :whistle:
"Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are." John Wooden
BigAl36

New postby Laxvegas on Mon Jun 01, 2015 11:41 am

maybe Looney's was missing kids or something. We are talking 12 year olds, does it really matter. If you don't like it, stop playing in Lax Splash. This has been the same story with this tournament forever as well with Beach Lax next weekend.
Laxvegas

New postby Coogr on Mon Jun 01, 2015 11:55 am

With respect, I believe it does matter....to my legitimate "B" flight players. Similar to how the physicality has slowly crept into the girls game, "If they are gonna do it...we are gonna do it." Side note, I do not berate officials, don't even like to question the call..... but please call the CHARGES. :?
Coogr

New postby BigAl36 on Mon Jun 01, 2015 1:09 pm

Laxvegas wrote:maybe Looney's was missing kids or something. We are talking 12 year olds, does it really matter. If you don't like it, stop playing in Lax Splash. This has been the same story with this tournament forever as well with Beach Lax next weekend.

The story has gotten worse over the past 5 years.
BigAl36

New postby malty19 on Mon Jun 01, 2015 1:19 pm

looney's 2021 kids are on the younger side of U13. they play A in the club league for 2021 but had a poor record. Green Turtle 2021 was the club champ. They played in 11-12 A and lost their 2 games, one in a blow-out. other score not recorded. looneys 2021 was in the right bracket. Looneys 2023 was 4th grad club champ and entered laxsplash 9-10 B and was criticized before the tournament. they went 1-2. So go figure. Hopefully coaches try their best to enter divisions so they are competitive but aren't trying to guarantee wins. it's easier said than done. whoever wins is going to be accused of something
malty19

New postby BigAl36 on Mon Jun 01, 2015 2:08 pm

The blow out you mention was against a Cobra Rec A team?

In MYLA Midget Boys A Cobra entered two teams. Cobra One was a finalist losing to LTRC by a goal. Cobra Two lost to Cobra One 8-2 and they lost to the same LTRC team 13-2. There teams were clearly not balanced.

In Splash Cobra One aka Cobra Doughty won 11-4 over the Green Turtle, 12-8 over the RoughRiders and tied Carroll Manor losing to Carroll Manor in the Splash A finals.

Cobra Two, aka, Cobra Brown lost 9-1 vs Carroll Manor, lost 6-3 against Green Turtle, and beat Shockwave 6-5.

All of this essentially proves that there are Club teams and then there are Club teams. It also proves that the HARCO club league, in some cases, is a still a pig, a pig with lipstick.
BigAl36

New postby malty19 on Mon Jun 01, 2015 3:02 pm

yes I mentioned the GT-Cobra 11-4 game only as a reference point for to the looneys 2021 team playing B. I think were arguing the same point. That club teams aren't always better than their rec counterparts. And the lines are blurred. Carroll Manor didn't have a MYLA A or B team this spring. The team that played in laxsplash was made up of kids that were CM rec players but now play on full time club but were available to play splash. The other finalist - Cobra also essentially doubles as a club team (HoCo) in the Sunday club league. The whole thing is very confusing.
malty19

New postby thatsmell on Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:55 pm

So another year, and we'll see if things have gotten any better wiht Aloha Tournaments.

They have Rec (MYLA- age based) and Club (grade based) groups so I expect things to be better if teams are required to enter in the leagues they did during the regular season.

The only question will be for the teams that played down for the regular season. THere were just a few in MYLA, but most of that was due to lack of "A" teams.

But we shall see. Hopefully we get some competitive lacrosse for the kids to end their Spring seasons.

:confusion-shrug:
"I never knew no Godfather. I got my own family, Senator."
thatsmell

Re: Aloha Tournaments- LaxSplash Beachlax etc.

New postby kitty on Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:15 pm

BeachLax in Ocean City MD- Aloha shortens all games to 17 minute running clock halves (????), one minute halftimes, and cancels a ton of games Sunday at BeachLax.

Nothing like paying $900-1000 (rec vs club) to play 2 games- 68 minutes of lax. $13.25- $14.71 per minute of field time.

:snooty:

Extremely poor showing, Aloha!
This kitty has claws!
kitty

Sponsor

Return to Boys' & Girls' Youth Lacrosse