how to adjudicate "not illegal" sticks

Discussions of rules at any level as well as lacrosse equipment

how to adjudicate "not illegal" sticks

New postby 68Bluejay on Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:47 am

Help sought here!! NFHS defines 3 "not illegal" sticks: (1) strings greater than 2 inches (2) tape greater than 3.5 inches circumference {try measuring that with our currrent tape measures!} more than 3 inches up from butt end (3) uncapped hollow shaft. I see #3 as a possible safety issue, as shaft edge I guess could develop a cutting edge. What is the advantage gained by player with other two irregularities, though?
So how does everyone plan to adjudicate?
Scenario 1 - As you're ready to put the players down for opening face-off, you notice A1 has no cap on his stick. Send A1 off to (a) cap stick, (b) exchange stick, or (c) sub out for a player with a stick that is legal & "not illegal"? Wait for him to come back to start F/O? Send him off to fix stick, award ball to Team B (is this Illegal Procedure?)? No-after they come to center for Face, he can't sub out? Just start F/O, & have A1 fix stick at next dead ball?
Scenario 2 - A1 behind goal looks to pass to cutter A2; you notice A3, not immediately in the play, has no end cap. Whistle now kills scoring opportunity, & Team A is penalized for a "not illegal" stick? Send A3 off, as A1 above, & restart at same relative field position, Team A ball? Allow play to conclude, then at next dead ball have A3 attend to his "not illegal" stick?
Scenario 3 - Same as Sc 2, except defensive middie B4 has no end cap. Whistle here penalizes the team which does not have the "not illegal" stick. Allow play to conclude, then at next dead ball have B4 attend to his "not illegal" stick?
Am I overthinking this (I certainly admit that possibility!)?
These sticks should be addressed only during equipment checks, and not at any other time?
Would things be simpler if NFHS had only TWO categories, legal sticks (which are legal for play) and illegal sticks (which are not legal for play, AND draw a penalty)?
Help appreciated!!
68Bluejay

Re: how to adjudicate "not illegal" sticks

New postby woodenstick on Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:16 pm

In a high school game, I am not stopping play to deal with a missing butt end. The rule states that the stick is not illegal, and that "at the next whistle, it shall be removed from the game until corrected." That tells me that we do not stop play. So scenario 2 and 3, wait until a dead ball, then deal with it. Official time out for the player to get off or get a new stick. Scenario 1 you could do the same thing. Or if you are grouchy, you could award the ball to the other team, due to delay of game, as the player is not properly equipped. I personally would opt for the former approach. I would not start play when the player is known to have no end cap.
woodenstick

New postby 68Bluejay on Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:25 pm

I missed the reference to "at the next whistle". Is it in the NCAA rule book? I'm looking in the 2013 Boys Lacrosse Rule Book, but can't find it. Could you provide the page number? Thanks.
68Bluejay

New postby woodenstick on Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:35 pm

my mistake, the "next whistle" reference was removed from the 2013 NFHS rule book. So I am not sure whether that means we stop play for a missing butt end. Thanks for picking that up. Not sure what we are supposed to do with a missing butt end, stopping play though seems extreme if play is dynamic.
woodenstick

New postby 68Bluejay on Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:55 am

You're most welcome!
Hate to be naive: what is the advantage gained by having strings longer than 2 inches, or a "donut" tape wrap greater than 3 1/2 inch circumference? I can see that a hollow, especially if some kind of metal, stick could develop a cutting edge, & thus the capped end is a safety issue, but what's the deal with the other two?
68Bluejay

New postby umnlaxcoach on Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:14 am

long strings present a potential eye hazard. Some have suggested that the donut increases the grip allowing for harder, uncontrolled one-handed checks.
umnlaxcoach

New postby woodenstick on Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:38 pm

The word from my rules interpretors for this year is that the officials will stop play for no butt end and send the stick off the field, as long as play is settled. We are not stopping dynamic play for no butt ends, and we are not throwing flags either, since the stick is not illegal.
woodenstick

Sponsor

Return to Lacrosse Rules & Equipment