NAIA 2018

Re: NAIA 2018

New postby laxmarmot on Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:06 pm

Well, I have to admit at 20 - 0 these guys deserve a tip of the hat. They got the # 1 seed in the Tournament but can they hold it together ?
http://www.madonnacrusaders.com/sport/0/14.php
Mo. Valley may have a statement to make !
https://www.valleywillroll.com/sport/0/7.php
Do these guys have another National Championship in them ?
http://www.reinhardteagles.com/index.aspx?path=mlax
All the teams have worked hard and are looking forward to a few more games before closing the book on this season.
Good luck to all the teams, and Congratulations for getting to the Tournament.
Your Preparation of today Determines your Achievements of Tomorrow
laxmarmot

New postby DanmarkLax on Fri May 04, 2018 10:36 am

Predictions for the tourney?

How the win a NIT

MU-keep pounding teams, lots of scoring options and aggressive defense
RU-just like all year limit the turnovers, long possessions, solid defense
IT-score, score, and score some more, IT will have issues if they cannot score
CU-defense and transition, they have the parts and have been playing well - my dark horse to get to the championship
SH-hopefully get #2 back on offense, limit the turnovers and play patient
SCAD-attack will need to shine as well as their FOGO
KU-not sure they have the horses to get past RU but faceoff and lots of goals
MV-keep MU close and ponce on them late

Why they might not win an NIT
MU-20 games so far and a lot of hours on their starters-penalties and turnovers might end their perfect season
RU-do not score a ton so put 10-12 on them and a team has a shot
IT-defense and goalie can be suspect
CU-if they lose more than 60% faceoffs and stop someone stops their transition game
SH/SCAD/KU/MV will need perfect games to advance

3 games in 3 days will wear on any team

Anyway it plays out it has been a great year of lacrosse for the NAIA!
DanmarkLax

New postby laxmarmot on Fri May 04, 2018 1:45 pm

Well I caught the game between Cumberlands and Mo. Valley early in the season, I thought Valley had a better team but chemistry was off, might have been the Coaching change, but I thought Cumbersland was the second best team on the field that day dispute the final score, so my dark horse is Missouri Valley. If they play the complete game and not just 1 or 2 quarters as they have most of the season it will be a very good game vs Madonna. I think it is Madonna to lose, in that they have only been really challenged by Ind. Tech, all others games where big wins, but they are taking what 50 -60 shots a game to score in the teens to low 20's. What is their shots to goals conversion rate, oh well they are 20 - 0 now, that says it all. Good luck to all come Thursday.
laxmarmot

New postby laxmarmot on Thu May 10, 2018 8:11 pm

Well after today's quarter finals in the Mens Invitational. SCAD, ,Keiser, and Mo. Valley are heading home. The last game of the day between Cumberlands and Siena Hts. was 2 - 1 in the 3rd. Looks like this just might be Madonna's day in the sun. Madonna had their hands full with Valley, 28 total fouls, mostly frustration from Valley but MU had their share. Hope they heal fast, lot's of ice bags after the game. Both teams fought hard.
laxmarmot

New postby DanmarkLax on Fri May 11, 2018 8:44 am

All of the games were tight in the fourth which is great to see.

Cumberlands with a big 4th quarter to pull out the win, semi's are WHAC vs AAC

Predictions
#2 RU vs #3 IT
RU - they are just too well balanced, good offense and a very solid defense, IT's goalie was a bit shaky in round 1 so he will need to step up for IT to have a shot against RU's shooters

#1 MU vs #4 UC
UC - Their defense should match up well with MU, and their ride could be the difference maker in this game.
DanmarkLax

New postby laxmarmot on Fri May 11, 2018 9:10 am

MU has some holes in their seemingly indestructible program but so far no one has been able to get them rattled, Valley had them frustrated but couldn't convert of those created chances. At 60 plus shots a game for MU, eats up the clock, so long processions might be in order, wearing down their defense with ball procession will cut into those shot totals, and goals.
laxmarmot

New postby TheBeard on Fri May 11, 2018 1:42 pm

The only thing that rattled any of the teams in the tournament so far has been poor officiating.
TheBeard

New postby laxweasel on Fri May 11, 2018 9:29 pm

Does any one know is they take the best officials from each conference or do they just find whoever is local and available?
Also are all these officials for THE NATIONAL TOURNAMENT, NIOLA certified? After watching some of the first round game I would want to have them re-certified, cause some of these games looked like they were being reffed by JV caliber officials not NAIA National Tournament quality. I mean this where the best of the best teams are playing, where are the best of the best officials? :confusion-shrug:
laxweasel

New postby laxmarmot on Sat May 12, 2018 8:50 am

Well since you brought it up, ANYTIME a game official stops a National tournament game to yell at a fan, they are done. I don't care what was said. The officials paying attention to fans is never acceptable. These game matter, there did seem to be to many minor fouls for a playoff game. Please NAIA, next year invite the best officials in as a reward for their service and dedication, not go for the easiest to get or just the local guys. Good games require the best officials.
laxmarmot

New postby CoffeeCoach on Sat May 12, 2018 11:11 am

Unfortunately the NAIA gets last dibs on officials. As of now in most areas the MCLA gets a higher rank than the NAIA.

I work youth games and I know of officials who are only level 1 certified who are getting NAIA games. Its not good for the game and growth of the NAIA.

We traveled a lot this season to watch our son play and too many times did we see officials making it about themselves rather than just sitting back and officiating the game.

NAIA Lacrosse needs to get someone in charge who has been at a high level (NCAA) before to come in a show them how its suppose to be done. Right now its very bush league outside of a handful of programs.
CoffeeCoach

Re: NAIA 2018but

New postby laxmarmot on Sun May 13, 2018 7:35 am

Well congrats to the reigning and repeat Champions. Reinhardt needed OT to do it but that just makes for more intensity. Madonna came close, and will be a force to be dealt with in the future. The rest of the field will be hitting the recruiting trail and starting the 2019 season Monday morning. I can't wait.
laxmarmot

New postby TheBeard on Sun May 13, 2018 1:08 pm

Hopefully the NAIA can recruit some talent in the way of ref’s for 2019 as well. Overall this season was an exciting one to watch for sure.
TheBeard

New postby laxmarmot on Sun May 13, 2018 7:08 pm

There has to be a concerted effort to improve the officials. If there is a cost , ofcourse there is, then pass it on through the entry fees charged to each team that accept the invitation. Something, take a poll of the coaches and see what they think. then act on it. Things will not improve unless and until the NAIA takes proper steps. They have a year to get nit fixed.
laxmarmot

New postby DanmarkLax on Mon May 14, 2018 9:22 am

laxmarmot wrote:Well since you brought it up, ANYTIME a game official stops a National tournament game to yell at a fan, they are done. I don't care what was said. The officials paying attention to fans is never acceptable

If we are looking at the same instance, this was a fan with a radio/stereo on (which is a No-no) and maybe could have been addressed differently but still needed to be handled.

As for the refs this is a nation wide issue not just an NAIA issue too many games not enough officials.

laxweasel wrote:Also are all these officials for THE NATIONAL TOURNAMENT, NIOLA certified?

Outside of the KCAC all of the refs are suppose to be NIOLA certified.

This is the third NIT and each year it has gotten better and will continue to do so!

Now let's focus on how great a final game that was! Man that was awesome OT with #1 and #2 in the country, that final goal was a great look and a great finish. I was surprise MU went into their zone as much as they did with the athletes they have on defense. Gingell going out with that hamstring did not help MU late in the game -3 games in 3 days wears a body out.
DanmarkLax

New postby laxmarmot on Mon May 14, 2018 2:03 pm

I agree with you Dan, the focus should always the game, the players, coaches and support staff have put in endless hours toward something they love. The NIT should be striving to reflex that focus, I understand it is a work in progress and they are getting better every time. I just want my cake, AND my fork, so to say.
Is there a committee working on steps toward those changes.
laxmarmot

New postby DanmarkLax on Thu May 17, 2018 8:51 am

Final Pole is out

http://www.naia.org/ViewArticle.dbml?SP ... =211716083

No surprises, and now we can jump on 2018-19 predictions.

RU - loses some defense but retain a ton of offense should be competing again for a 3rd ship!
MU - young team with a ton a talent can only get better from here
IT - lose 162 point (97g) but still have some talent and can compete at a high level
UC - should not lose much so should be very tough
SH/SCAD/KU lose some key pieces to graduation can they reload
MoVal - lose a lot of defense but any time you have a player like Ryan Barnes that might not matter

Should be another great year!
DanmarkLax

New postby laxweasel on Thu May 17, 2018 12:42 pm

I just heard Union College in Kentucky is looking for a new HC :o
First year program that went 0 for, and they gave him a year to recruit before this year. Wouldnt they give another to see how things pan out? Or did something happen? Or is the athletic department that cut throat that if you dont win you are out? :confusion-shrug:
laxweasel

New postby DanmarkLax on Thu May 17, 2018 3:06 pm

Current coach is still there but was looking to retire so he is staying on board until a new coach is found.
DanmarkLax

New postby TheBeard on Thu May 17, 2018 10:11 pm

Unions coach was well on the older side. When I was there I also seen a lot of in fighting between players and the staff so it all makes sense.
TheBeard

New postby Hamburg33 on Fri May 18, 2018 1:09 am

Morningside College in Iowa adding M & W Lacrosse

http://thegrowthblog.blogspot.com/2018/ ... -adds.html
Hamburg33

Sponsor

PreviousNext

Return to Men's - Division II