Section V 2018

For discussions of high school varsity boys' lacrosse

Re: Section V 2018

New postby laxedmarauder on Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:15 am

I concur, young pezz may end up being Victor's best goal scorer and that's sayin' something considering they have a plethora of guys who can score.
laxedmarauder

New postby funny999 on Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:05 pm

If your from the victor/Rochester area keep your eye on the young FO guy as well
funny999

New postby Clever Username on Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:15 pm

A couple of Irondequoit boys did well at a combine down in Florida this past weekend:

https://recruitingrundown.com/2017/12/2 ... more-23011
Clever Username

New postby laxedmarauder on Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:41 am

Where will the section V banter happen this year when the site is not running like it used to?

Also, if you have the itch for some lax Michigan and hobart will be scrimmaging at pinnacle at 2 on saturday. :dance:
laxedmarauder

New postby oldbartman on Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:24 am

The Hobart v Michigan scrimmage at the Pinnacle starts at 1 PM. A VERY EARLY look at both squads.
lately things don't seem the same.....
oldbartman

New postby BobWilson on Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:05 pm

[quote="laxedmarauder"]Where will the section V banter happen this year when the site is not running like it used to?

Not really sure what there is to talk about , same old thing in section V . Class A will be Fairport , Penfield and Pittsford . End of story . Class B is Victor , period . CA and WT may contend , maybe even Churchville after last season . Class C is...............whatever . If the winner gets by Section VI they will get handled by Section III . Class D is Penn Yan all day , every day . Not trying to be a downer but that's the way it is .
BobWilson

New postby HighlyBiased on Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:05 am

BobWilson wrote:Not really sure what there is to talk about , same old thing in section V . Class A will be Fairport , Penfield and Pittsford . End of story . Class B is Victor , period . CA and WT may contend , maybe even Churchville after last season . Class C is...............whatever . If the winner gets by Section VI they will get handled by Section III . Class D is Penn Yan all day , every day . Not trying to be a downer but that's the way it is .

Victor does appear to be on an entirely different level than the rest of class B, but I can't say that I see CA giving them any trouble. Thomas should have the best shot at an upset considering all the pieces they return, however they proved to be pretty vulnerable in last years sectional loss to CC.

CC returns two very talented, very experienced attackmen but outside of them the cupboard is pretty bare.

The two teams that played for the class A sectional title last year both suffered massive losses to graduation and don't return many kids who contributed last year. Despite losing their most talented midfielder I think Penfield should start the year in the strongest position to win A.
HighlyBiased

New postby Laxdad26 on Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:24 pm

BobWilson wrote:Not really sure what there is to talk about , same old thing in section V . Class A will be Fairport , Penfield and Pittsford . End of story . Class B is Victor , period . CA and WT may contend , maybe even Churchville after last season . Class C is...............whatever . If the winner gets by Section VI they will get handled by Section III . Class D is Penn Yan all day , every day . Not trying to be a downer but that's the way it is .

Not sure there is "nothing to discuss" in Sec V lax, I see some decent topics.

Yes, Class A will have the big three (and IMO they are a lot closer right now than most think), but I for one am anxious to see what the 4-high-school-combined Greece team has to offer. I'll go out on a limb and say during the season they will either beat or give a scare to one of the Big 3 in A. Maybe this is what the west side needs to get to the point they can compete year after year in A - parents and players finally seeing the last 5+ years of west side youth lacrosse paying off with win(s) against the powers that be. I think that would be fantastic for lacrosse in Sec V.

Victor has B in control but hey, we said that last year and CA managed to beat them in season. And Class B has some really fun teams to watch and some decent rivalries, so I'd hope folks get excited and feel those games are worth discussing, even if it's not for a Sectional title.

New coaches at AQ and McQ - it will be interesting to see how they do. And I don't know if the Sportsfive site is a bit off or accurate, but did it recently move AQ down to Class D?

Heck, even Avon and Livonia combining is worth discussing. Maybe not for hours on end, but it brings something interesting to the season.

I'm looking forward to the games starting, just like any other year. I hope folks post before and after games, I really enjoy the insight of the contributors here.
Laxdad26

New postby sunygrad on Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:33 pm

LaxDad, I think the combined Greece Storm will be improved, but unfortunately, not to the level of competing with the Big 3 teams in Class A. We're not going to know until sectionals anyway, Greece doesn't play any of them during the regular season. They do have a relatively young team and should be very competitive in D3.
sunygrad

New postby fatherof2 on Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:39 pm

Yes, Class A will have the big three (and IMO they are a lot closer right now than most think), but I for one am anxious to see what the 4-high-school-combined Greece team has to offer. I'll go out on a limb and say during the season they will either beat or give a scare to one of the Big 3 in A. Maybe this is what the west side needs to get to the point they can compete year after year in A - parents and players finally seeing the last 5+ years of west side youth lacrosse paying off with win(s) against the powers that be. I think that would be fantastic for lacrosse in Sec V.

agree. the combined team will be a boost. Not sure if it will be enough just yet. but it's a start. What would also help the west side schools (particularly the Greece schools) is if the transferring (notice I didn't say move :wink: ) to the east side trend stops. They've lost a quite a few good ones over the years. West side residents that played for East side schools in recent years.....Trimboli, Catalano, Perotto brothers, Forte to name a few.
fatherof2

New postby laxedmarauder on Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:18 pm

Just like every section in the country, section V has teams that are slated to win.
However, I'm excited for the season to start. their are certainly many fun teams and rivalries to follow. I hope everyone continues to post, I know inside lacrosse is trying to get some forums set up.

I didn't realize all the Greece teams were combining, it will be interesting to see what develops there. Greece has plenty of athletes, if they can keep their best players in town they could have a lot of potential in the future. Last season had many surprises...... i.e. Canandaigua over Victor, Irondequoit over Canandaigua, Hilton over Canandaigua and CC beating a Thomas team coming off a section V championship the year before. Call me crazy but it could be another good one!
laxedmarauder

New postby TopShelf585 on Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:22 pm

Sorry fellas but I can't get too excited about lacrosse when there is white stuff flying and more projected to come.
Wake me up in April and I may be in a better mood.
Winning ugly is always better than losing pretty.
TopShelf585

New postby Section5Fan on Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:34 pm

TopShelf585 wrote:Sorry fellas but I can't get too excited about lacrosse when there is white stuff flying and more projected to come.

Sounds like someone is grumpy.
TopShelf don't you have a game to watch this weekend..... maybe against Penn State?
Last edited by Section5Fan on Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you ain't first you're last. Ricky Bobby
Section5Fan

New postby TopShelf585 on Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:39 pm

Section5Fan wrote:
TopShelf585 wrote:Sorry fellas but I can't get too excited about lacrosse when there is white stuff flying and more projected to come.

Sounds like someone is grumpy.
TopShelf don't you have a game to watch this weekend..... maybe against Penn State?

I'm not going and leave me alone- I'm trying to sleep.
Winning ugly is always better than losing pretty.
TopShelf585

New postby SuperRelaxed on Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:46 pm

Well here is my two cents:

Class A:

Penfield over Fairport (Penfield, Fairport, Pittsford and Hilton final four)

Don't know a whole lot about class A...

Class B:

Victor over Thomas (Victor, Thomas, CC and Spencerport final Four)

Victor is, well Victor, and it's theirs to lose. Most of Class B has a lot of talent coming back and should be ultra exciting to watch. Thomas has a very strong D in place, along with a top flight face off guy in Luconte, and of course Ford. They bring back 18 seniors. They will give anyone fits. CC with Yunker and Buck back are always in the game, but lack of an X and solid D may be too big of an issue to overcome. Spencerport has 16 returning seniors and all starters from last years squad. They have a do everything middie in VanWie as well as a top attack guy in Agness. Looks like they bring a team that can score and win face offs can they defend?

Class C:

HFL over Geneva (HFL, Geneva, Wayne, and Pal-Mac Semi-Finalists)

HFL returns most of the pieces and has an all stud middie Ruff coming back. Looks like theirs to lose.

Class D:

Don't follow much here... Seems to be always Penn Yan.. but looking at BlaxFive ... Bath has some guns blazing there.

Pre Season All Americans?

Chayse Irelan Victor
Garrett Ruff HFL
Cory Yunker CC
Jacob Buck CC
Owen VanWie Spencerport
Andrew Russell Victor
Brady McDermott Brighton
CJ Battiagila Thomas

Others?
Last edited by SuperRelaxed on Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SuperRelaxed

New postby fatherof2 on Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:17 pm

CJ Battiagila Pittsford

?????? --- did he transfer? Thought he was at Thomas.
fatherof2

New postby SuperRelaxed on Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:45 pm

My Bad... Not sure what I was thinking.. Had Ruff at Penfield and caught that.. Although I am sure both teams would love either one. :lol:
SuperRelaxed

New postby Section5Fan on Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:26 am

SuperRelaxed wrote:Well here is my two cents:

Pre Season All Americans?

Chayse Irelan Victor
Garrett Ruff HFL
Cory Yunker CC
Jacob Buck CC
Owen VanWie Spencerport
Andrew Russell Victor
Brady McDermott Brighton
CJ Battiagila Thomas

Others?

PreSeason AA a lot can happen between now and then with injuries, bad sportsmanship, etc.... and oh yeah the politics involved.

McDermott I see happening if he stays healthy.
Ierlan and Russell are easy picks maybe Victor gets a third- Hay or Lambert
Buck & Yunker are good but two AA from a team that could have a losing record- not sure that would happen.

Ruff & VanWie? I find it hard to believe that the powers that be would allow two AA from MCD-3. Trevor Hogdins from CC was the last MCD3 AA. If a AA comes out of MCD3- Could be Ruff or Mapstone.

Burek from Fairport- it’s been awhile since a Fairport AA
Brennan from Irondequoit is really good-
Finger Lakes always gets a representative- Drennan from Geneva?
If you ain't first you're last. Ricky Bobby
Section5Fan

New postby Laxdad26 on Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:36 am

sunygrad wrote:LaxDad, I think the combined Greece Storm will be improved, but unfortunately, not to the level of competing with the Big 3 teams in Class A. We're not going to know until sectionals anyway, Greece doesn't play any of them during the regular season. They do have a relatively young team and should be very competitive in D3.

Thanks for pointing that out, I did not realize the only Sec V A team they play will be Hilton. Medina is not much of an "out" game but Geneva should give them a handful. Looking forward to seeing how they do, even though young, they definitely have some talent.
Laxdad26

New postby cradleandshoot on Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:30 am

This is just an observation I have had from a few years back. I use to do service work in the Greece school district. There were several afternoons where I saw the lax players for the school congregating in the study hall in the cafeteria before practice. I could be wrong but I took the time to chat with some of the players. They did not come across as being very enthused about playing the game. In some cases it was better than baseball, in other cases the football coach said it was a good sport for them to hone their football skills. IMO the kids in the Greece schools just don't have the enthusiasm for lacrosse that other schools do. That was 10 years ago, if it takes 4 Greece High schools to field one competitive team given the serious advantage they have numbers wise something is not right. I hope this team has great success. I can't help but wonder in the back of my mind that most of these kids are more concerned about playing football in the fall. :confusion-shrug:
" Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one."
Thomas Paine
cradleandshoot

Sponsor

PreviousNext

Return to Boys' High School Lacrosse