11%
Spalding
1%
Mount St Joseph / John Carroll
6%

Total votes : 163

Re: MIAA A Conference 2018

New postby BeaverCreek on Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:40 pm

I don't know any of the individual players any longer down in Baltimore and Annapolis, but I do study the OOC schedules, and there, McDonogh is punching above everyone else from the MIAA. Here are the top OOC games for the Baltimore crew (I'm not including JC or any of the Annapolis teams if anyone wants to take a swing at that):

McD: Haverford, St. Thomas Aquinas, Bullis, Chaminade, and Culver (both Bullis and Chaminade could easily be #1 in the country this year) - this is an absolute killer OOC schedule with just these 5 games

CHC: Hill, Garden City (very cool to see CHC play GC this year, taking on SP's annual NY rival - that being said, I'm a little disappointed to not see CHC line up a few more of this caliber)

BL: Landon and Haverford (I'd have thought Farrell would have taken on more powers this year with his FOGO...? St. Anthony's would love to give it a go again)

Loyola: no schedule posted yet

SP: Landon and Culver

If I'm missing any big games, let me know. Thanks.
BeaverCreek

Location: On the mountain or on the field, never in an office

New postby thatsmell on Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:03 pm

John Carroll's schedule is posted:

http://www.laxpower.com/update18/binboy/XJCSMD.PHP

Out of conference they get Hill Academy,(CAN), Collegiate (VA) Christ School (NC) and Dorman (SC)
They will also play some local MD public schools including very solid Marriott's Ridge and CM Wright teams, among others.
"I never knew no Godfather. I got my own family, Senator."
thatsmell

New postby Swiss Watch on Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:38 pm

brokenshaft wrote:I'll take a stab at some top players...more in tune with Baltimore area so excuse me leaving out top players from Severn, St Mary's etc...

FO: Giberson from BL will be tops. SP fogo was best last year and this kid gave him a run as a freshman. McD's Braun #2
Attack: Kelly/Kelly/Greene will be a tough combo though the Brandau/Grimes is pretty good
Middie: Bateman and Reid from Loy, Zimnoch at SP, Catlett and Simmons McD
Defense: I like Walsh (CHC) as best close in the league, McNemar from BL pretty good, Ubriaco (BL) and Capels & Hapney SP
Goalie: Brandau (BL) #1 by a long shot, Long at McD #2

Fogo is more like Rock, Paper, etc. Braun from MCD is the most seasoned but can be beaten by a more physical fogo with quick hands. WIng play will be very important this year.
Attack: CHC, BL and further down MCD, then everyone else
Midfield: MCD has four or five first line middies, Every other team is far behind depth wise. This is what makes MCD the favorite team barring injuries.
Defense: CHC and MCD have the best units by far depth wise, BL has two very good defenders, SP is a distant fourth if that?
Goalie: SM and BL have the best keepers with MCD a close second.
Swiss Watch

New postby USNA on Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:24 pm

BC,
SP also plays usual suspect Haverford plus a strong squad from Norfolk Academy in mid-March. Bummed they didn’t include any NY teams this spring.
USNA

New postby Harry Greb on Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:14 pm

Loyola names Gene Ubriaco as its next coach. Seems like a solid choice.

https://www.loyolablakefield.org/page/N ... pk=986047#
Harry Greb

New postby kayak on Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:42 pm

Coach Ubie is a great choice by Dons! Class act, great teacher-coach, slick offensive mind, seasoned vet of the MIAA (as player and coach). Roll Dons Roll!
kayak

New postby USNA on Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:01 pm

Gene will do great things at Loyola. It's a win-win for both coach and the Dons. RDR
USNA

New postby thatsmell on Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:41 pm

Agree. Like the hire at Blakefield. They could have done a lot worse. From what I hear they are getting a good coach and good leader of men.
thatsmell

New postby thatsmell on Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:19 pm

BlackMarketLax11 wrote:I really don't think JC will win a game either (in conference). Moving from the B to A is completely different, even the bottom half of the A has college d3 starters on the field. Not many B teams will field more than 2-3 college players. JC will get there in time, but I would still take MSJ, Severn and Spalding over them in a heartbeat.

Local to the area and I saw John Carroll play a few times the past few years. Not sure how JC will fare moving up to the A this year.

The local fish wrap had a picture from JC's Senior Spring NLI signing day. They appear to have some kids moving on to college lax programs next year too. They have always done a nice job placing kids in college programs and produced some great players (and people) over the years.

Speaking of which, I saw this the other day:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jordilippe ... 7551c2555d

:D
thatsmell

New postby thatsmell on Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:31 pm

USNA wrote:According to the officianados, it looks like a three-horse race; CHC, McD, BL.
Loyola certainly could climb into that mix. SP has ?'s.

So who do you think are the league's top players, and the best guys for each team? Thoughts?

I agree it's probably a 3 horse race. And outside of the top few spots (CH, McD and BL) there are a lot of question marks in the league:

How do St. Paul's and Severn recover from the graduation of so much talent and transition to a new coach? Can MSJ or Spalding ever find some winning ways? Can Loyola Blakefield right the ship, get above .500 and send Rubeor off with an overall winning record? Can the young Gilman team mature enough to make some noise and take down a big dog like BL again? Who fills the void Oursler left? What does St. Mary's have cooking down South? It seems like every few years the Saints have a great team. They are about due...

:shock:

Lots of questions this year. Can't wait to learn the answers!

:clap:
thatsmell

New postby USNA on Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:14 pm

I'm hearing rumblings....don't sleep on Spalding in 2018!
USNA

New postby Tennessee Jed on Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:04 am

Must be hunger pains. Grab a burger.
Tennessee Jed

Sponsor

Previous

Return to Boys' High School Lacrosse