MIAA A Conference 2018

For discussions of high school varsity boys' lacrosse

Which 6 make the playoffs?

Poll ended at Sat May 05, 2018 1:45 pm

Calvert Hall
71
18%
McDonogh
64
16%
Boys' Latin
59
15%
St Paul's
38
10%
Severn
20
5%
St Mary's Annapolis
39
10%
Loyola-Blakefield
39
10%
Gilman
31
8%
Spalding
5
1%
Mount St Joseph / John Carroll
11
2%
 
Total votes : 377

Re: MIAA A Conference 2018

New postby deefense on Wed May 16, 2018 3:55 pm

Great points Beaver Creek. Fact: You had one of the nation's top ranked LSMs re-deployed onto close for the game rather than running him on the wings for FOs and sliding him back to close during the customary subbing process. Second, you had a big athletic and fast Duke bound senior middie relegated to offense when his team desperately needed possessions. In a low scoring game where every possession counts that much more, tactical adjustments like these are critical.
deefense
 
Posts: 598
Joined: Wed Aug 31, 2005 4:17 pm

Re: MIAA A Conference 2018

New postby McLovin lax on Wed May 16, 2018 5:46 pm

Calvert Hall 15 Loyola 9. Loyola looked like a MYLA Lightning B team. Couldn't clear, couldn't back ups shots, and couldn't pick up the contested ground balls. Down 12-2 at half. Loyola actually won more face offs. Calvert Hall has a ton of offensive weapons and continually attack shorties. BL will have to be more deliberate on offense and control possession if they want to beat the cards.
McLovin lax
 
Posts: 170
Joined: Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:41 pm

Re: MIAA A Conference 2018

New postby gymman1031 on Wed May 16, 2018 7:30 pm

Does anyone on here know if BL and CHC have met in the title game before?
gymman1031
 
Posts: 846
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:31 pm

Re: MIAA A Conference 2018

New postby Harry Lime on Wed May 16, 2018 8:43 pm

Yes. BL and CHC squared off in 1977 MSA title game. Cards thrashed Lakers 9-3. Big day for Ned Radebaugh and Dennis Wey.
Harry Lime
 
Posts: 71
Joined: Mon Apr 14, 2008 6:28 pm

Re: MIAA A Conference 2018

New postby BeaverCreek on Thu May 17, 2018 9:04 am

McLovin lax wrote:Calvert Hall 15 Loyola 9. Loyola looked like a MYLA Lightning B team. Couldn't clear, couldn't back ups shots, and couldn't pick up the contested ground balls. Down 12-2 at half. Loyola actually won more face offs. Calvert Hall has a ton of offensive weapons and continually attack shorties. BL will have to be more deliberate on offense and control possession if they want to beat the cards.



A very disappointing end to Coach Rubeor's reign. Hate to see a team lose on effort and basic skills. I did catch some of the game, and on a computer unfortunately, you can't get the feel for the game that you do in person, but I have to agree with McLovin here...it wasn't pretty. maybe Loyola is an 8 goal less team than Hill.

The good news for the Dons is a new coach brings new energy, and they are certainly picking up a great guy for 2019.

So far as Bl and the Cards in the final, this will be a very good game. ON balance, I'd pick CHC, but with BL's FOGO seemingly getting better every week, and knowing that Farrell knows how to coach a team up, it's hard to choose against BL too. That all said, I'm sticking with whom I picked first thing this year, and that's the Cards (at least that's who I think I picked :wink: ).

Good luck to all, keep it clean, and leave it all out there!
BeaverCreek
 
Posts: 4332
Joined: Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:20 pm
Location: On the mountain or on the field, never in an office

Re: MIAA A Conference 2018

New postby Curmudgeon2 on Thu May 17, 2018 12:13 pm

Harry Lime wrote:Yes. BL and CHC squared off in 1977 MSA title game. Cards thrashed Lakers 9-3. Big day for Ned Radebaugh and Dennis Wey.


Yup, hot day at UMBC. If I'm not mistaken, Baltimore Magazine did an article on that BL team wondering if it wasn't one of the best HS teams ever to play? Age has fogged my memory on that. Both teams had great defenders. CHC had David Black (JHU) and the Smyth brothers (Princeton). Bl had Tim Daly (Cornell) and Dubin. Daly would be on my all time great list. CHC also had Tom Sears (UNC) in the goal.
Curmudgeon2
 
Posts: 53
Joined: Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:58 pm

Re: MIAA A Conference 2018

New postby Curmudgeon2 on Thu May 17, 2018 12:54 pm

I just watched the rerun of BL/CHC game from April. The game was mired in penalties by each side. At one point, each team had 3 EMO goals. Some thoughts.

CHC's FOGO seemed to prevail more often than not, which may have prevented a blow out by BL.

CHC's attack was effectively neutralized by BL. I was surprised. Sawyer was shut down to a passing roll and Jacob Kelly failed to assert himself. It seemed to me CHC went in with a midfield offensive game plan as I never really saw the attack press their defenders. The Mitchells played well but Cole Herbert was shut down with a long pole. For CHC to win, Herbert has to contribute.

I am extremely impressed with BL's attack. They move the ball very well and without turnovers. They are the best riding attack I have seen since last years CHC unit. Grimes was fearless and relentless in attacking the goal. He was a handful and beat his man several times with some nice face dodges.

I was surprised Darragh was pulled in the fourth quarter when the game was still in question. I wonder how long of a leash Kelly gives him tomorrow. Shiver mentioned at one point that BL might go into a zone but that was never needed. I would be surprised if BL did that tomorrow because that would play into CHC's outside shooting with the Mitchells, Herbert, Illardo etc.

I give a slight edge to BL tomorrow. I like the way BL can overcome CHC's defensive strengths, most teams can't. BL also gets an additional day to rest which may be critical.
Curmudgeon2
 
Posts: 53
Joined: Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:58 pm

Re: MIAA A Conference 2018

New postby McLovin lax on Thu May 17, 2018 12:58 pm

IMHO the best player in the league this year has been Brendan Grimes from BL as a sophomore... I would love to know his stat line from this year as he scores 4-5 goals a game it seems.
McLovin lax
 
Posts: 170
Joined: Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:41 pm

Re: MIAA A Conference 2018

New postby gymman1031 on Thu May 17, 2018 1:17 pm

Thanks for the answer about BL and CHC's last title game match-up! Now, here is another question:

When was the last time an MSA/MIAA title game went into OT?

I became a fan in 1988. And I know for a fact that it hasn't happened since before then.
gymman1031
 
Posts: 846
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:31 pm

Re: MIAA A Conference 2018

New postby gymman1031 on Thu May 17, 2018 1:41 pm

Curmudgeon2 wrote:
Harry Lime wrote:Yes. BL and CHC squared off in 1977 MSA title game. Cards thrashed Lakers 9-3. Big day for Ned Radebaugh and Dennis Wey.


Yup, hot day at UMBC. If I'm not mistaken, Baltimore Magazine did an article on that BL team wondering if it wasn't one of the best HS teams ever to play? Age has fogged my memory on that. Both teams had great defenders. CHC had David Black (JHU) and the Smyth brothers (Princeton). Bl had Tim Daly (Cornell) and Dubin. Daly would be on my all time great list. CHC also had Tom Sears (UNC) in the goal.


Gotcha! I do believe that was CHC's last title until 2003. Is that correct?
gymman1031
 
Posts: 846
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:31 pm

Re: MIAA A Conference 2018

New postby Curmudgeon2 on Thu May 17, 2018 1:48 pm

Might be 2003. The Drought was long.
Curmudgeon2
 
Posts: 53
Joined: Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:58 pm

Re: MIAA A Conference 2018

New postby Harry Lime on Thu May 17, 2018 2:13 pm

CHC won 4 titles in the 1970s. Shared with St. Paul's in 1971 and won outright in 1972, 1975, and 1977. The Cards lost the 1973 title game to Gilman. They were in three title matches in the 1980s - all losses to Loyola - in 1980, 1987, and 1989. Titles again in 2003, 2012, and 2017. Lost title games in 2009 and 2011 both to Gilman.

The 1977 title game Cardinal win over BL pitted the two best teams in the conference. Cards had two league losses on the season - one a week earlier to BL. BL's other two losses that season were out of conference defeats - 10-7 loss to eventual #1 team Severna Park and to Wroxeter 12-7.

Gilman's 1978 MSA title win over BL was in overtime.....11-10.
Harry Lime
 
Posts: 71
Joined: Mon Apr 14, 2008 6:28 pm

Re: MIAA A Conference 2018

New postby Curmudgeon2 on Thu May 17, 2018 2:31 pm

Did that 1977 Severna Park team have Sid Abernathy?
Curmudgeon2
 
Posts: 53
Joined: Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:58 pm

Re: MIAA A Conference 2018

New postby gymman1031 on Thu May 17, 2018 2:37 pm

Harry Lime wrote:CHC won 4 titles in the 1970s. Shared with St. Paul's in 1971 and won outright in 1972, 1975, and 1977. The Cards lost the 1973 title game to Gilman. They were in three title matches in the 1980s - all losses to Loyola - in 1980, 1987, and 1989. Titles again in 2003, 2012, and 2017. Lost title games in 2009 and 2011 both to Gilman.

The 1977 title game Cardinal win over BL pitted the two best teams in the conference. Cards had two league losses on the season - one a week earlier to BL. BL's other two losses that season were out of conference defeats - 10-7 loss to eventual #1 team Severna Park and to Wroxeter 12-7.

Gilman's 1978 MSA title win over BL was in overtime.....11-10.


Thanks for the info. Was Dave Creighton the Coach at CHC for any of those titles, or runners-up?

I remember that 1989 title game well. Losing Andy Droney beforehand was a killer for the Cards.
gymman1031
 
Posts: 846
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:31 pm

Re: MIAA A Conference 2018

New postby Curmudgeon2 on Thu May 17, 2018 2:44 pm

Harry Lime wrote:
CHC won 4 titles in the 1970s. Shared with St. Paul's in 1971 and won outright in 1972, 1975, and 1977. The Cards lost the 1973 title game to Gilman. They were in three title matches in the 1980s - all losses to Loyola - in 1980, 1987, and 1989. Titles again in 2003, 2012, and 2017. Lost title games in 2009 and 2011 both to Gilman.

The 1977 title game Cardinal win over BL pitted the two best teams in the conference. Cards had two league losses on the season - one a week earlier to BL. BL's other two losses that season were out of conference defeats - 10-7 loss to eventual #1 team Severna Park and to Wroxeter 12-7.

Gilman's 1978 MSA title win over BL was in overtime.....11-10.


Thanks for the info. Was Dave Creighton the Coach at CHC for any of those titles, or runners-up?

I remember that 1989 title game well. Losing Andy Droney beforehand was a killer for the Cards.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thanks for the info Harry. Yup, losing Droney killed the Cards that day.
Curmudgeon2
 
Posts: 53
Joined: Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:58 pm

Re: MIAA A Conference 2018

New postby gymman1031 on Thu May 17, 2018 2:49 pm

Wow! Assuming no title games have gone to OT since 1978, how fitting that, IF tomorrow's does, the year has an EIGHT at the end!?
gymman1031
 
Posts: 846
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:31 pm

Re: MIAA A Conference 2018

New postby gymman1031 on Thu May 17, 2018 5:20 pm

Spalding and Loyola were scheduled to play in the JV Championship Game today at 4:00 PM. Would love to hear about how that turns out.
gymman1031
 
Posts: 846
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:31 pm

Re: MIAA A Conference 2018

New postby HurryT on Thu May 17, 2018 6:12 pm

Curmudgeon2 wrote:Did that 1977 Severna Park team have Sid Abernathy?


If my memory serves me correctly, Sid Abernathy went to Annapolis High before going to the Naval Academy.
HurryT
 
Posts: 69
Joined: Sat Mar 11, 2006 10:16 pm

Re: MIAA A Conference 2018

New postby Harry Greb on Thu May 17, 2018 6:54 pm

Curmudgeon2 wrote:
Did that 1977 Severna Park team have Sid Abernathy?


If my memory serves me correctly, Sid Abernathy went to Annapolis High before going to the Naval Academy.

Sidney "Rufus" Abernathy was indeed an Annapolis Panther.
Harry Greb
 
Posts: 286
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:15 pm

Re: MIAA A Conference 2018

New postby roy hobbs on Thu May 17, 2018 9:28 pm



Going down memory lane, here's a link to the 97 title game. BL beat CHC in the semi on their way to the title.
User avatar
roy hobbs
 
Posts: 91
Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2005 10:58 am
Location: Hopefully, the Rusty Rudder in Dewey

Sponsor
 

PreviousNext

Return to Boys' High School Lacrosse

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Ferguson4494, FXLax, irish cardinal, Mojolax86, sionjy, trojanalum04 and 90 guests