13%
St Paul's
8%
Severn
2%

Total votes : 160

Re: MIAA A Conference 2019

New postby Cooter on Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:29 am

88mdgrad wrote:I am a Maryland grad who has done pretty well in the IT world and I still would shell out the bucks for any Ivy over MD.

I don't think I would want to shell out the extra bucks if my kid was majoring in Computer Science. UMd has a pretty strong CMSC department.
Terps 2017 NCAA Champs! Current owners of the longest D1 NCAA tmt. streak.
Cooter

New postby MDlaxfan76 on Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:56 am

pcowlax wrote:???? Then Maryland should fire its recruiters. Shockey was a FOGO protege for years. There is no way he was not on Maryland’s radar last year at this time. Not sure why you would say that but it is clearly BS, he was on every school in the nation’s radar this time last year, and on many’s the year before that. Initially committed to Navy and headed for NAPS before changing his mind, no reason for MD to be embarrassed by that.

Didn't he just mean that they didn't know that Shockey would be in College Park, as opposed to they'd never heard of him?
Pretty sure he wasn't saying they should be embarrassed by anything.
MDlaxfan76

New postby MDlaxfan76 on Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:03 am

Cooter wrote:
88mdgrad wrote:I am a Maryland grad who has done pretty well in the IT world and I still would shell out the bucks for any Ivy over MD.

I don't think I would want to shell out the extra bucks if my kid was majoring in Computer Science. UMd has a pretty strong CMSC department.

Darn good, but you'd be amazed at the recruiting and paychecks out of the CS dept's at the Ivys. The competition to hire them is incredibly fierce. Starts right away at admission.

That said, UMD and UMBC are doing an excellent job of preparing their students for IT jobs. UMBC particularly so in security.

I'm not sure many lax players are in these majors, though.
MDlaxfan76

New postby thatsmell on Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:59 am

I'm not tuned in to what the school is doing there, but I know that the major defense contractors around DC battle to get UDel grads that are engineers or in the sciences.
"I never knew no Godfather. I got my own family, Senator."
thatsmell

New postby Far16 on Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:55 pm

MDlaxfan76 wrote:
Cooter wrote:

Darn good, but you'd be amazed at the recruiting and paychecks out of the CS dept's at the Ivys. The competition to hire them is incredibly fierce. Starts right away at admission.

That said, UMD and UMBC are doing an excellent job of preparing their students for IT jobs. UMBC particularly so in security.

It would be interesting to see a comparison of the Big State Schools vs the others when it comes to majors of graduating seniors and graduation rates. Is my son going into a lockeroom full of serious students or partying screw offs? Let's not talk about the exceptions because every school has them (good and bad). I'm looking for the Program's academic culture. Does the coach let you skip practice to do your Bio or Engineering labs or do you lose your spot on the depth chart? Who are your peers?
Far16

New postby MDlaxfan76 on Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:17 pm

thatsmell wrote:I'm not tuned in to what the school is doing there, but I know that the major defense contractors around DC battle to get UDel grads that are engineers or in the sciences.

Good to know for those kids. But I don't think Google and Facebook and Microsoft are breaking down their doors nor are the paychecks remotely the same at Lockheed et al.

But, hey, we're talking about those actually in those majors.
I think you'll generally find more Business (or Economics) and Political Science (Government) or History, etc majors amongst lacrosse players than Bio, Chem, CS majors, which are much more scarce anywhere in the lax world. The question is what do those Business, Poly Sci, History, etc majors actually demand at that particular institution? Who are you competing with in the classroom and what are the expectations of teachers in terms of time and attention?

Not all schools are the same. For instance, I was amazed at the mathematical demands of the Econ program at Harvard; the base level of calculus knowledge for entry level courses was higher than top calculus courses my son had at Gilman (a bit alarming!). Most of the kids in his first classes had taken additional calc courses and also HS Econ, so were a big step ahead at the beginning. (wish we'd known, as a little pre-study could have made the launch a little less rough). So, pretty darn intense competition; he caught up, but it was bear at first. He had the same experience with his 2nd major he decided to do in Psychology. The crossover of the two, Behavioral Economics, is very heavy math. Not a lay-up by any stretch. Having seen the curriculum at some other schools in the Business or Economics programs, it's a night and day comparison in expectations...for instance, his girlfriend was summa cum laude across the river at BU, bright and very diligent girl, but the expectations in her program were way, way, less than at HU.

I think Far16 asks the really relevant question to this thread as kids have all sorts of different capabilities and prior preparation; Whether it's Big State School or Ivy or whoever...what is the academic culture of the team? Are guys cracking books on travel, hustling to get to the library, or figuring out what bar to go to on a Wednesday night?

And really important is what is the expectation of the coach in terms of taking courses with labs that conflict with some practices. Does he discourage those courses, or does he applaud those choices and make allowances? BTW, you can find knuckleheads in the Ivies that get this wrong, too, so there's no guarantee...so ask the guys on the team. (The stories about Reeves at Yale being able to do lots of labs were a great example of what should be done). But it's not guaranteed, it's coach specific.

That said, you're definitely going to have some self selection happening with Ivy teams in terms of what your peers' expectations will be about academics. Not everyone, but usually the critical mass tips to the serious side about academics. Same for a NESCAC or a W&L versus say Salisbury or Stevenson lax players. Just a different critical mass, with different expectations. They all play pretty good lacrosse!

Similarly, does the coach support time off when you have an opportunity for a hard to schedule job interview? Whether for a great internship or post college gig, the coach should be enthusiastic despite whatever missed practice time may occur. Not that this should be abused, but how the culture of the team and coach supports these opportunities really should matter as a family is considering a college.

Of course, the right coach can create a positive academic culture at Big State U, too, so it's not as if it's not just as relevant to ask these questions at those schools.

In other words, it shouldn't just be about lax.
Or pretty girls, though that's a tougher argument to persuade a 16-18 year old on! :)
MDlaxfan76

New postby Cooter on Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:03 pm

MDlaxfan76 wrote:
Cooter wrote:

I don't think a student with a 3.0+ gpa in Computer Science at UMd will have any trouble finding work. I know my nephew didn't but he had a 3.5 gpa.

I don't think any of the men are majoring in Computer Science. One of the women lists that she is, Alex McKay.
Terps 2017 NCAA Champs! Current owners of the longest D1 NCAA tmt. streak.
Cooter

New postby Justasuit on Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:28 pm

I don't understand. You're saying he will be 16 by May of his freshman year, 17 sophomore May, 18 junior May, 19 senior May.
So what?

Those are ages of a 2021 not a 2022. He is a full year older than 2022s he is playing against. My kids turned 16 in May and June of their Sophmore year and entered college at the age of 18.
Justasuit

New postby MDlaxfan76 on Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:29 pm

I certainly agree about finding a good gig out of CS dept at UMD, Cooter.
Strong program.
MDlaxfan76

New postby MDlaxfan76 on Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:35 pm

Justasuit wrote:I don't understand. You're saying he will be 16 by May of his freshman year, 17 sophomore May, 18 junior May, 19 senior May.
So what?

Those are ages of a 2021 not a 2022. He is a full year older than 2022s he is playing against. My kids turned 16 in May and June of their Sophmore year and entered college at the age of 18.

My son was 18 when he entered college too, Justasuit. But most of his teammates were six months older, which would have made many of them 19 in May. Some significantly earlier. Very few turned 19 after him that fall.

I think you're confusing being 19 before May with actually being a year older when it means only being a few months older than the average kid coming out of pretty much any private school in the US.
MDlaxfan76

New postby pcowlax on Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:20 pm

Justasuit wrote:I don't understand. You're saying he will be 16 by May of his freshman year, 17 sophomore May, 18 junior May, 19 senior May.
So what?

Justasuit I’m not sure where your kids went or how aware you are of their friends’ birthdays but turning 18 May or June of senior year puts them very much at the young age of the spectrum these days, publics or privates, for boys. 30 years ago it wasn’t unusual to graduate at 17, it is very much so now. MD’s example is also not the norm, turning 19 May of senior year is indeed old but the majority of boys are around 18.5 give or take 3-4 months.
pcowlax

New postby MDlaxfan76 on Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:29 am

Thanks pcowlax.
My 'example' though was the lax team he joined in college, not his HS class which fits more as you describe. Most of his lax classmates in college were older than him by a few months, a couple more than 6 months, few younger. They were nearly all 19 by sometime in the fall of freshman year in college, several by the time they'd graduated HS the spring before (which is what Justasuit seems shocked by). But only one of his Gilman lax teammates in his class turned 19 right before graduation, though all the other D1 lax recruits happened to be slightly older than my son. My son turned 18 in October of his senior HS year, which was somewhere near the median of the overall class at Gilman.

Can someone be significantly older? Sure, but relatively rare, and the very extreme oldest under the rules would turn 19 after August before their senior year in HS. That's the rule.

Of course, once you get to college, you're also competing with 3-5 year older guys, guys who PG'd, guys who'd redshirted, 5th year seniors, post-grads, etc.

I think where this 'issue' arguably mattered a bit was when the ER process was pushing college coaches to watch really young kids where a six month, much less 18 month differential is magnified. Whether coaches were really fooled by that, I don't know, but thankfully ER was pushed back.
Last edited by MDlaxfan76 on Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
MDlaxfan76

Re: MIAA A Conferen

New postby Justasuit on Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:56 am

Justasuit I’m not sure where your kids went or how aware you are of their friends’ birthdays but turning 18 May or June of senior year puts them very much at the young age of the spectrum these days, publics or privates, for boys. 30 years ago it wasn’t unusual to graduate at 17, it is very much so now. MD’s example is also not the norm, turning 19 May of senior year is indeed old but the majority of boys are around 18.5 give or take 3-4 months.

I’m a aware of my kid’s friends birthdates because I coached a slew of them and submitted the paperwork to various leagues, tournaments, etc. I’m also aware of the birthdates of a slew of MIAA players’ birthdates - but I’m not going to go there because the moderators no likely.

For what it’s worth - the reclass/holdback game advantage isn’t working as well as it did when the kids were younger. The number of reclassed early recruit “superstars” that arent on the Baltimore UA Highlight team is pretty telling. Many of them didn’t even make the callback game. The gig is up.
Justasuit

New postby MDlaxfan76 on Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:56 am

So...how about you lighten up?
If it's of no moment, now, leave it alone.

I don't know how you would know, factually, "a slew of MIAA players’ birthdates". Your kid's friends, sure, they have birthday parties, but beyond that and those you submitted (did you really keep copies?) I really doubt that you know beyond that.

You've told us that there are kids who are actually too old to play in the MIAA yet the MIAA looks the other way. That's just not factual. Very provocative, but not factual.

You also express alarm that a kid in the MIAA could turn 19 by May of his senior year in HS as if that's so outside the norm, so unfair. That, too, is just not correct as something endemically wrong about the MIAA. Yes, a few do turn 19 by May (May would be 9 months after the deadline), every once in a while someone turns 19 before the lax season. I'd heard that one kid a few years ago had turned 19 before Xmas, but don't know if that was accurate. But all such are within the rules.

And those rules are virtually identical to every other league in the nation that doesn't allow PG's (extending the ages), including MD publics.

What I'm telling you as well is that in the little data comparison I could make of my son's college team, he was on the younger end of the spectrum when he turned 19 in the fall of his freshman year in college. He was the only MIAA recruit in that class, meaning that the older guys were all from other leagues. There were some a full year older than him. There were a couple younger than him as well.

Anyway, please let it go if you agree that it's no longer a material factor to the recruiting process in this area.
MDlaxfan76

Sponsor

Previous

Return to Boys' High School Lacrosse