Texas Lacrosse 2018

For discussions of high school varsity boys' lacrosse

Re: Texas Lacrosse 2018

New postby notalaxbro on Tue May 29, 2018 9:04 am

Wonder13OY wrote:No specifics yet but have heard rumors there could be many changes in the North D1 region

Any other changes made yet?
So far ESD and Coppell are making changes and that is all I heard.

Anything on the league in the North changing? Are they pushing teams up? I heard Prosper, Greenhill and East will be talked to about go D1.
notalaxbro

New postby Wonder13OY on Tue May 29, 2018 9:39 am

notalaxbro wrote:
Wonder13OY wrote:No specifics yet but have heard rumors there could be many changes in the North D1 region

Any other changes made yet?
So far ESD and Coppell are making changes and that is all I heard.

Anything on the league in the North changing? Are they pushing teams up? I heard Prosper, Greenhill and East will be talked to about go D1.

To this point I've not heard anything new on coaching changes. Still just rumors that some coaches may be changing scenery, but it is still May and there is plenty of time for that to change.

As for those three teams it would surprise me if they go D1 this upcoming year. Soon maybe, but from what I've heard Greenhill struggles with numbers, East lost a huge senior class and will struggle with numbers and the Prosper area is gaining another high school that will split their numbers if they go D1. So if each of these schools were forced or chose to move up I think they would struggle greatly from lack of numbers to field competitive teams... but this is the THSLL we're talking about so who knows.
Wonder13OY

New postby notalaxbro on Tue May 29, 2018 10:32 am

Just saw on THSLL Southlake is making a change.

On teams moving up. I hope they don't. After watching the tournament on line I think we will be watering down the competition at D1 a lot.
notalaxbro

New postby Laxtexas19 on Tue May 29, 2018 6:16 pm

Kyle Hartzell is also gone from Plano West.
Laxtexas19

New postby StBLax on Wed May 30, 2018 11:57 am

Ok so this is what I have seen as potential Coaching Changes: (in NTX D1)

Coppell - Matt Mueller replaced Jeff Roberts
ESD - Patt Kennedy leaving for Culver?
SL - Bart Sullivan out?
PW - Kyle Hartzell out?

Wondering if one of these is interesting enough for Recapper? He's a former college player and established coach of HS level players with connections to help kids at the next level? Is it his time and which one would be best fit?

ESD is obviously the best open job with support and resources from the school as well as pipeline of players. Word is they are searching nationwide. Not sure if they require coach to be a teacher??

SL - I think is a better job than PW as it appears from an outsider that they get better support, but I could be wrong. If a big name like Hartzell left PW I think that says something

PW - has potential given demographics of the area, size of school, length of time lax has been played there. Not building from scratch

Just my own thoughts and I do not have inside knowledge of any of these searches.
StBLax

New postby txlaxer78 on Fri Jun 01, 2018 3:59 pm

The southlake job is posted on the thsll website but I did not see anything about esd or plano west. The only posted ntx d2 job I see is keller; scrolling through d1 and d2 team's pages the only other change i noticed is I think plano east's head coach is listed as a director now without a head coach listed, so not sure if they are getting a new head coach or not. Would imagine we wont see many updates until later in the summer.

Any other changes any has heard of?
txlaxer78

New postby LAXTexasLAX on Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:55 pm

What can we expect in terms of changes to the THSLL for 2019?
LAXTexasLAX

New postby Laxdfw18 on Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:17 pm

Any rumors on who's going to fill the open coaching spots at ESD, Plano West and Southlake? I'm assuming there isn't a rush on this but curious if anyone's hearing any noise.
Laxdfw18

New postby Laxdfw18 on Tue Jul 03, 2018 2:01 pm

Rumor has it Plano West will be bringing in another high level player as their next Head Coach. Ryan Brown, former Johns Hopkins star, is the rumor. If true, it's great to see another talented player come to Texas to teach/coach!!!
Laxdfw18

New postby StBLax on Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:25 am

I am certainly hopeful that SL and PW bring in quality coach, but I have this question. Does Ryan Brown, if that's who they are targeting, know the systemic issue many of the public school teams face - in the retrictions and impediments put on their growth by the Texas HS Football establishment? Can he succeed where Hartzell didn't? PW and SL obviously have the right socio-economic factors in their area to support the sport and a larger number of kids to try to draw to the sport.

Which Public HS will next be able to replicate the HP model where football athletes get on the field for lacrosse as well:
PW
SL
Coppell
Frisco
Prosper
Rockwall
FM
Allen
McK

All of these programs produce top end players and athletes, but I think where they struggle is depth? Look at the second lines of HP/ESD/TWHS/DJ - this is the difference in these games - they wear down teams.

Can't wait until football / lax players are the norm! HP does it all the time! Could you imagine Jesuit RB EJ Smith suiting up for Rangers at MF??? You thought N Montgomery at ESD was a ridiculous athlete and he was, but Smith would be even bigger mismatch for Defenses! Just think about how good he be at SSDM without having played a game...
StBLax

New postby Laxtexas19 on Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:34 pm

Can't wait until football / lax players are the norm! HP does it all the time! Could you imagine Jesuit RB EJ Smith suiting up for Rangers at MF??? You thought N Montgomery at ESD was a ridiculous athlete and he was, but Smith would be even bigger mismatch for Defenses! Just think about how good he be at SSDM without having played a game...

To say that EJ Smith would be a bigger mismatch for defenses than Nakeie Montgomery is uninformed in my opinion. I’ve seen many athletes the likes of EJ Smith try to take on talented lacrosse players and they look like complete fools because they had no stick skills and no knowledge of the game. Montgomery could dodge to his left or to his right and shoot with both hands... with ridiculous athleticism. That’s why he was unstoppable. Have you seen Kirby Bennett on a lacrosse field with LACROSSE PLAYERS? When he was in middle school his athleticism had an impact but when in HS and playing against kids who had been playing the game it was a joke because dodging and trying to keep the ball in your stick takes more than just athleticism. HP football players excel at lacrosse because they have been playing lacrosse since grade school.

My criticism of your comments aside, we can agree that when football programs/coaches support lax it will be a win/win for all! Probably won’t see it in my lifetime.
Laxtexas19

New postby StBLax on Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:33 pm

I completely agree with your assessment. My hypothesis was based on if EJ Smith had the lax background Nakeie had.... I felt the only place he could make immediate impact would be as SSDM, where his stick skill deficiency would not be as great of a liability.

Its all about numbers and getting sticks in kids hands earlier than HS. Look at a huge school like Allen. How many great athletes do they have that can't crack the line up on the FB team? So even if the FB players destined to play in college were excluded if their FB program allowed the others the flexibility to play other sports they could be a monster. But as you mentioned it has to start in middle school and they have to continue to focus on their skills.
StBLax

New postby LaxAustin on Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:30 pm

Rumor that there will be a big coaching vacancy in Austin.
LaxAustin

New postby Laxdfw18 on Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:57 am

StBLax wrote:I completely agree with your assessment. My hypothesis was based on if EJ Smith had the lax background Nakeie had.... I felt the only place he could make immediate impact would be as SSDM, where his stick skill deficiency would not be as great of a liability.

Its all about numbers and getting sticks in kids hands earlier than HS. Look at a huge school like Allen. How many great athletes do they have that can't crack the line up on the FB team? So even if the FB players destined to play in college were excluded if their FB program allowed the others the flexibility to play other sports they could be a monster. But as you mentioned it has to start in middle school and they have to continue to focus on their skills.

Completely agree!
Last edited by Laxdfw18 on Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Laxdfw18

New postby Laxdfw18 on Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:58 am

LaxAustin wrote:Rumor that there will be a big coaching vacancy in Austin.

If it's big that has to mean Westlake...that's really the only impactful team in Austin right now that would be considered "big". No offense to LT meant in that comment their just not there yet.
Laxdfw18

New postby TXLaxDad99 on Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:51 pm

Central teams looking for head coaches:
Lake Travis
Bowie
Westwood
Cedar Park
Vista Ridge

I won’t speak to the rumored big vacancy, but they aren’t listed above...
TXLaxDad99

New postby LaxAustin on Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:44 pm

Westlake and Lake Travis are both looking for coaches now. It certainly would make things interesting if Delfausse got the LT job.
LaxAustin

New postby Laxdfw18 on Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:04 pm

Westlake and Lake Travis are both looking for coaches now. It certainly would make things interesting if Delfausse got the LT job.

Is Dom Fin coaching anywhere?
Laxdfw18

New postby ATX via NJ on Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:49 pm

Dom is not coaching anywhere but Iron Horse and word around town is that Andy Garrigan has taken the Westwood job so we can scratch that one off the list.
ATX via NJ

New postby TXLaxDad99 on Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:06 pm

LaxAustin wrote:Rumor that there will be a big coaching vacancy in Austin.

Westlake DI position posted to the THSLL website a few hours ago.
TXLaxDad99

Sponsor

PreviousNext

Return to Boys' High School Lacrosse