Jake Reed's Nike Blue Chip FALL Junior Lacrosse Camp

For discussions of high school varsity boys' lacrosse

Re: Jake Reed's Nike Blue Chip FALL Junior Lacrosse Camp

New postby PALaxDad39 on Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:13 am

The rising senior Blue Chip Cmp has become somewhat irrelevant with all the rising jr/jr verbals. Its lost alot of its luster.
PALaxDad39

New postby BishopMVP on Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:28 pm

laxnovice57 wrote:Well, that explains everything. You coach in the MIAA, where you don't have the student population to field a football team unless the good athletes from the lacrosse program participated. No wonder the football coach is ok with that, he'd be out of a job if they didn't play. In the real world of public schools, even in the Northeast the football team is more often than not the big team in terms of town pride and school spirit. So it stands to reason that to be a recruited athlete in lacrosse, unless you're the sort of athlete of that Dom Starsia gets to pick from, you have a choice of participating in fall ball and getting noticed by schools who follow players other than in the MIAA, or enjoying HS football and wonder why those rising junior commitments are piling up before Christmas.
The MIAA I coach in is Massachusetts - http://miaa.net/ . Public school, enrollment 1200-1300. Most of our eventual D1 players do PG for a year to catch up to all the private school kids that effectively redshirt in HS, but I have worked for a club team that's seen multiple multi-sport athletes commit before or during their JR year. And you want to know what the biggest difference between the kids committing before/early JR year and the ones that don't until after JR year is? It's not exposure or fall ball - it's academics. A lot can change in 2 years (from both sides), which is why the trend to earlier commitments is suspect, but a coach at a school isn't going to offer someone unless they are fairly confident they can get that player past admissions. Honestly, what you do athletically in the fall or even how you play for your HS team in the spring isn't that important - the coaches do their scouting and evaluating almost entirely based off the summer club and camp circuit and then come to us to ask about academics/attitude/parental involvement.
BishopMVP

Submitting Highlight Reels for Jake Reed's Blue Chip 2011?

New postby SweetSweetLax on Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:35 pm

I just saw an article that said that Jake Reed was allowing players to submit highlight reels for consideration for his 2011 camps. Does this make his event stronger because players from all over the country have an opportunity to be considered? Or does this dilute the elite nature of his camp? As a travel coach, I am hesitant to promote this, but I think I have one stud who could really benefit from the camp.
SweetSweetLax

Re: Submitting Highlight Reels for Jake Reed's Blue Chip 2011?

New postby coachsteve on Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:29 am

Here's a crazy idea- instead of sending Jake the highlight film and a check-how about sending the coaches the film, and investing the check in SAT prep?
coachsteve

Re: Submitting Highlight Reels for Jake Reed's Blue Chip 2011?

New postby foreverlax on Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:58 am

SweetSweetLax wrote:I just saw an article that said that Jake Reed was allowing players to submit highlight reels for consideration for his 2011 camps. Does this make his event stronger because players from all over the country have an opportunity to be considered? Or does this dilute the elite nature of his camp? As a travel coach, I am hesitant to promote this, but I think I have one stud who could really benefit from the camp.

it may not change the talent pool one bit. cynically, i suspect that politics (who you know) will still have the same control over who goes, all while jake makes an extra $25,000 for himself.
Honor the Game!
foreverlax

New postby Laxsummer on Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:20 am

Couple things on Jake Reed fall, if its supposed to be for uncommitted rising juniors the timing is bad, I think you had to register (pay) in either late August or very early September. Only a handful of kids have committed by then so if you are one of the kids that will probably commit between September and November you are rolling the dice on whether the fee is worth it or not. I don't fault Jake Reed for this idea, the man is making a living, its the American way right? I also think the bottom line will be that colleges start to commit kids a little later because they know the can expect to see them one more time in a very competitive environment before they make final selections. I don't know whether thats good or bad, but it does put kids under some pressure to skip other fall sports in order to keep their skills up for fall recruiting showcases.
Laxsummer

New postby foreverlax on Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:10 am

i dont mind him making money - nor do mind the politics of how some of the kids get in to the camp. what bugs me is that he will get hundred of kids, for the 3 camps, who dont have a shot of getting in....but their parents will send in that $75 for the CHANCE that someone will actually view it and give the kid a fair shake.

we ask for it - they give it to us
Honor the Game!
foreverlax

New postby realist12 on Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:29 pm

The AAU hops thing is accurate for those that do not make it or do not want to deal with all the work at the next level, but for those that do make it and do want it, you just can't compete if you do not play AAU hoops. If you play AAU, you may not make it, but you have almost no chance to make it if you do not play AAU.
realist12

New postby laxnovice57 on Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:12 pm

PALaxDad39 wrote:The rising senior Blue Chip Cmp has become somewhat irrelevant with all the rising jr/jr verbals. Its lost alot of its luster.

The invites for the rising senior camp are out. June 23-25, 2011.
laxnovice57

New postby cloverdale on Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:34 pm

Invites for 2013's (rising juniors) are out as well from what I've heard.
Twitter: @tyxanders
cloverdale

New postby PBHC on Sun Oct 31, 2010 3:21 pm

Invites for 2014 (rising Sophomores) are out! Tuesday, June 28 - Thursday, June 30.
PBHC

New postby laxfan1967 on Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:08 am

PBHC wrote:Invites for 2014 (rising Sophomores) are out! Tuesday, June 28 - Thursday, June 30.
I'm missing something or I may be having an adverse reaction to Halloween candy. Invitations are going out to 1st semester freshman/rising sophomores/ class of 2014 ? Kids who haven't received their 1st report card and haven't played in a high school game? Some who may have matured physically earlier than others, most who don't shave. I thought the Reed Camp was recommendation by college coaches. Are college coaches going to youth camps? Not to my knowledge other than the sponsor. This supports part of the original post on Money, Marketing & Monkeys.
laxfan1967

New postby laxnovice57 on Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:43 pm

laxfan1967 wrote:
PBHC wrote:Invites for 2014 (rising Sophomores) are out! Tuesday, June 28 - Thursday, June 30.
I'm missing something or I may be having an adverse reaction to Halloween candy. Invitations are going out to 1st semester freshman/rising sophomores/ class of 2014 ? Kids who haven't received their 1st report card and haven't played in a high school game? Some who may have matured physically earlier than others, most who don't shave. I thought the Reed Camp was recommendation by college coaches. Are college coaches going to youth camps? Not to my knowledge other than the sponsor. This supports part of the original post on Money, Marketing & Monkeys.

Recommendations for the rising sophomore camp are also made by respected HS coaches around the country who know where these non-shaving players are. This will be the 3rd rising sophomore camp for Jake Reed, and it's evident that more "elite" camps for the Class of 2014 are starting up around the country with varying degrees of exposure for HS players. Jake Reed is still the most prominent and best of the bunch.
laxnovice57

New postby deefense on Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:59 pm

Fact: Some high school coaches don't recommend players but most will respond to an inquire from Jake if asked. Opinion: Parents, its not a scientific process (versus the combine process in football) and is often based on anecdotes and advocacy (from a club and/or high school coach). My guess is the process will eventually evolve to a hybrid of the football and soccer (European club model) evaluation processes.
deefense

New postby foreverlax on Thu Nov 04, 2010 2:57 pm

how many teams and how many are on a team?
Honor the Game!
foreverlax

New postby cloverdale on Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:37 pm

foreverlax wrote:how many teams and how many are on a team?

Six teams of 20, three sessions a day - each team plays a game a session.
Twitter: @tyxanders
cloverdale

New postby 5799 on Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:19 pm

Do all the invites go in one big batch...so have all 2013 invites been sent and should have been received by now...or are they staggerred?

New postby foreverlax on Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:20 pm

So 120 kids. some assumptions:

- MD, NY, PA take up at least half of the spots. if you add in NJ and VA its got to be over 2/3
-of the 120 kids at the camp there are around 18 to 20 attack.
- In any given year a D1 coach will take 3 of any position, except for keeper. So, for example, if you are a top 20 team there are around 60 attack men going each year in to D1.

some facts
-last season 235 kids went to D1 colleges as attack
-around 991 kids went to all 3 divisions (400+ were D3) as attack
-864 play D1 lacrosse

conclusions:
to get in to that camp you need to be 1. off the charts good 2. know a bunch of the right people, 3. very lucky, 4. very fortuante.
Honor the Game!
foreverlax

New postby CrabFan on Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:01 pm

For the Rising Jr camp in 2009 the camp had six teams. They took 48 middies, 12 goalies, 30 Defenders and 30 Attack. They didn't have slots specifically for LPM or FOGO. In Elroy's case his high school coach got him in but I still like to think he qualified under your #1 criteria. I think it is mostly HS coaches that recommend kids for Jake's camp. The MIAA and other hotbed schools all seem to get a few kids per school to that camp each year. Outside the hotbeds I couldn't begin to figure out the selection criteria. Great camp though - go there and you pretty much go D1.
Crabfan - the spoon that stirs the pot...
CrabFan

New postby greenielax on Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:43 pm

"For the Rising Jr camp in 2009 the camp had six teams. They took 48 middies, 12 goalies,...."

There were 13 goalies at the 2009 rising jr camp. Usually there are 12. That year they experimented and moved did not leave goalies with the same team for all games. 12 of the 13 goalies played with a different team for at least 5 of their 6 games. 1 goalie played with the same team for all games. Goalies are normally at a disadvantage at these showcase camps, but this rotating-goalies format put them at even more of a disadvantage. 2009 was a double whammy tough year for goalies at Jake Reed rising junior.
greenielax

Sponsor

PreviousNext

Return to Boys' High School Lacrosse