WPIAL 14

For discussions of high school varsity boys' lacrosse

Re: WPIAL 14

New postby FairSpanishLadies on Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:28 am

I was talking about trends, brutus. It's not all encompassing.

Lax isn't physical enough to scare anyone off and it's a pretty easy sport to pick up, so I don't think it's intimidating any soccer players. Four of the best lacrosse players in Western PA history were soccer players - Tim Kaiser (SA & Michigan State/Ohio Weslyan), Mac Bryson (SA & Princeton), Tommy Kehoe (SA & Gettysburg), and Pat Sanker (FR & Delaware). I'm sure there's others.

If anything, WPIAL lax needs more of the better soccer players in the area, not less. Lebo might be the only school with a lax team more athletic than its soccer team. I think you're underestimating just how bad the quality of Western PA lacrosse players are in general. Nearly every major metro area in America has better lax than Pittsburgh. San Fran, Denver, Boston, San Diego/LA, Dallas, Charlotte, Austin, Chicago, Columbus and Detroit are all better. Blame lack of outside influence (ie people not moving to Western PA) and coaches who didn't have what it takes to build programs.
FairSpanishLadies

New postby frmanfan on Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:16 pm

FairLadies quote: "Eastern PA has more outside influence. The people are sharper, more worldly, skeptical, open minded, and not as easily fooled. They're more likely to be aware Little Johnny isn't going to the NFL just because he's starting at WR as a sophomore, and the opportunities college lax offers are well known. The kids especially are aware of this. It's the opposite in Western PA. I've lived in both areas."

I don't know if this is just trash talk, or if you really meant to hurt the feelings of us Western PA rubes. How we can go on being compared to Philly folks and coming out in second place? How can we go out in public again, at least at a lacrosse game? I hope the rest of you are less sensitive and shrug this off, but I am going to seek help to rebuild my self esteem.
frmanfan

New postby YourDad on Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:00 pm

As much as I enjoyed not reading the long useless posts about how WPA isn't up to par and pretty much a ton of stuff thats been said before, lets talk about the season that we're in the middle of.

Predictions for tn:
PT>SA
Lebo>BP
NA>FC
Hampton>Seneca
PR>Butler

Some great section matchups tn. Gonna call Hampton upsetting Seneca, a team that can't seem to find it's flow right now. PT vs. SA is gonna be a close one, another matchup thats always close and fun to watch. I'm hoping Bethel will put up a good fight and possibly hold off lebo, but not likely. Didn't even bother putting USC vs. Trinity up cause... well yeah. Tomorrow night we got SSA and FR, don't know enough about FR to give and accurate prediction so hopefully FRmanfan can provide some insight
YourDad

New postby frmanfan on Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:45 pm

I would love to tell you something, but it is too early yet. Lots of young, inexperienced players on offense, have to wait and see how fast they mature at the varsity level.
frmanfan

New postby pghlaxer1 on Wed Apr 02, 2014 4:28 pm

To weigh In on the coaching. I think there are good coaches out there. However there are still programs out there whose parents boards and ad's who want to dictate how and who a coach plays. I think and agree that it is imperative that we start coaching kids properly at the middle school level. I loved coaching high school and turning a team into a champion. But the most satisfaction I got from coaching was helping kids learn the game and the excitement those kids got and the undivided attention you had from them. The willingness to learn. I don't think it's a lack of coaching but the fact that some still feel lacrosse should be everyone should play. Tell a football coach who to put in and who should play and let's see the response you get from them!
pghlaxer1

New postby CannonLax on Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:09 pm

I have been talking with some of the folks at John Carroll and they are having a great inaugural season going 8-1 in the OAC with a lot of freshman talent including local players including Flinter M, ( USC), Kincaid, A (USC) and Millarino, D (USC.) For 2015 it appears they are loading up on Western PA talent with recruits Pike, A, (PT), Rao, M, (PT), McMullin, D, (ML), Donough D, (ML), Wasson M, (CV) and Southorn D, (USC). Glad to see Pittsburgh south hills lacrosse players taking their game to the next level.
CannonLax

New postby maineroad on Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:25 am

Hampton - 8 Seneca Valley - 5

SV = not good. I think it was 8-3 before a couple of late garbage goals. Grabaowski is very good. Talbot poles are pretty good too. I'm somewhat surprised that SV took Pine to OT. I kind of like Pine's team, but SV shouldn't scare anyone with a pulse. We'll learn a lot more about which round of the playoffs Hampton can aspire to lose in when Peters comes to tony Allison Park on Monday. Good seats still avaialble.

Did Trinity actually score two goals against USC? Does anyone have video confirmation of same?
maineroad

Pine-Richland vs. Manheim Township 4/5

New postby CPALax on Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:07 pm

Pine-Richland travelling to Lancaster on Saturday to take on Manheim Township at 12 noon.

How has P-R looked to anyone that has seen them? I see a close OT win over SV, and a 10-6 win over Butler yesterday. Any thoughts? I've heard Pine-Richland has been bitten by the injury bug? Who are their standouts?

MT looks decent by reports; only caught 1 game personally. Defense solid, offense unselfish, great goalie and FO. Beat SV 17-1 last Saturday.

I hope to make it to this game. On paper, I think MT should win but I've never seen P-R, so I am reluctant. Going out on a limb, I will say 10-5 MT win.

Any Pittsburgh area lax fans have any thoughts on this game?
CPALax

New postby maineroad on Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:17 pm

frmanfan wrote:I would love to tell you something, but it is too early yet. Lots of young, inexperienced players on offense, have to wait and see how fast they mature at the varsity level.

Trinity 2015!
maineroad

New postby ChesmontLaxDad on Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:38 pm

What happened to Seneca Valley's program? They looked to be building something nice just a couple seasons ago.....
ChesmontLaxDad

New postby pghlaxer1 on Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:50 pm

I attended the Pine vs Butler game. I believe that you can definitely tell there is a new staff in place. I do not think that the players are being utilized to their strengths. And this is understandable when a new staff takes over. Pine is loaded with talent. They moved the ball well but I think they are a year or two away from being where everyone seems to think they will be this season. If you want my opinion...I think the last staff should have been left in place to let the seniors finish strong. Hard to change whole system and expect to win after used to same system the three previous years. I will just never understand how you go from Coach of the year, to obviously upsetting the wrong person to being asked to leave a program. Goes back to my previous point of who runs the show? Parents, AD, or Coach! Pine has potential! Will they be successful this weekend? In my opinion no after what I saw last night. But I do wish them well....
pghlaxer1

Re: Pine-Richland vs. Manheim Township 4/5

New postby maineroad on Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:46 pm

CPALax wrote:Pine-Richland travelling to Lancaster on Saturday to take on Manheim Township at 12 noon.

How has P-R looked to anyone that has seen them? I see a close OT win over SV, and a 10-6 win over Butler yesterday. Any thoughts? I've heard Pine-Richland has been bitten by the injury bug? Who are their standouts?

MT looks decent by reports; only caught 1 game personally. Defense solid, offense unselfish, great goalie and FO. Beat SV 17-1 last Saturday.

I hope to make it to this game. On paper, I think MT should win but I've never seen P-R, so I am reluctant. Going out on a limb, I will say 10-5 MT win.

Any Pittsburgh area lax fans have any thoughts on this game?

I would imagine that will be quite close to the final, if I were guessing along with you.
maineroad

New postby distantthunder on Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:34 pm

ChesmontLaxDad wrote:What happened to Seneca Valley's program? They looked to be building something nice just a couple seasons ago.....

SV was one of the fastest growing programs in the West . Started playing lacrosse in 2001 when players had a swamp for a field, old football jersey's for uniforms and a ton of desire to learn this new sport. As the hard work paid off the players from the first years especially those that were the beginning youth players developed into fundamentally good players with some excellent early coaching. In the early years games were limited and in fact some early lax players only looked forward to practice and team scrimmages. Those players migrated through the program and were responsible for a lot of the success that many look back and remembered. With success brought popularity and with popularity came growth in player numbers. The programs numbers literally grew 10 fold. With numbers came multiple teams with needs for lots and lots of coaches. Parents that never played the sport became coaches out of necessity and sometimes also for all the usual reasons parents want to become coaches. Players started getting better facilities , uniforms, helmets, jackets , and a lot of other cool gear. This slowly became the expected norm all the way down to the youngest of players. In short, SV had what one area coach said the best and worst thing going on. A lot of players which is great and a lot of players which can also be a bad thing for the program. Players and parents started expecting all the cool stuff and success with out really understanding how SV got to where they came from. Booster boards turned over with parents of families not involved in the original program building thinking that playing games on well manicured fields with sharp uniforms was always the norm. Unfortunately, it became easy at a young age to feel successful long before you have ever accomplished anything on the lacrosse field. What you end up with are players that haven't accomplished anything put have been treated as if they have. Not a good scenario to push the program forward. Got to get back to the fundamentals.
distantthunder

New postby frmanfan on Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:51 am

SSA looked pretty good last night, not perfect though. Good sticks, agressive defense, good at the faceoff and goal of course. But they do have some holes in the lineup and may be lacking depth. Of course it was also raining, that may have contributed to some of the sloppy passes that happened too much for one of the preseason favorites.

FR was as I surmised yesterday (this is actually first boy's game I have seen). By my count they only have six seniors, one the goalie who didn't play lacrosse last year at all but still looked ok, and the other the FOGO with limited contribution after the FO. The defense settled down after a shaky start, SSA went up 4-0 pretty quickly, but then the FR defense held them in check for the second quarter and most of the third. Of course, the defense wasn't getting any help from the offense, which couldn't hold on to the ball. With only two seniors on the offensive end, they are very young and it shows. And the coaches have to tell one of the attacks that he isn't a dodger, he is not fast enough to get by a defender and he isn't big enough to bull through them. Every time he tried he was stripped of the ball. Give him credit for perseverance, but not for smart play. If the coaches can get the young guys to understand the concept of ball control and the importance of possession, they will improve, but how much and how fast they improve remains to be seen.
frmanfan

D3 vs. D7

New postby CPALax on Sat Apr 05, 2014 3:54 pm

Pine-Richland played a strong first half today, but lost to Manheim Township 15-3. It was only 5-3 at the half. A little sloppy on both sides, but the Manheim Township defense was suffocating, holding PR scoreless the entire 2nd half.
And, Warwick in OT over Bethel Park 9-8.

Is Upper St Clair the consensus #1 out west?
CPALax

New postby YourDad on Sat Apr 05, 2014 6:47 pm

Is USC the best or nah? i'd say either MTL SSA or PT.
USC pulled a fast one on PT in a game that should've been in the bag, PT gave up 5 straight in the fourth to lose by one. USC definitely a good competitor, probably among the elite that i just mentioned but I'd have to see them gain a few more wins of merit before I'd call them the best in the west
YourDad

New postby lacrossejones on Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:30 pm

YourDad wrote:USC pulled a fast one on PT in a game that should've been in the bag, PT gave up 5 straight in the fourth to lose by one.

Using that logic, did PT pull a fast one to get the lead when USC gave up four straight goals to end the first half?

Anyhow, I agree that USC is not the consensus number one in the west. They didn't make the playoffs last year and haven't played anyone really tough (other than the game in which they pulled a fast one...) this year. Credit for taking care of business so far is the best they get.

Until Lebo loses in the west they get the nod. SSA is number two, though their lack of depth concerns me. PT doesn't deserve to be mentioned in the discussion at this point. I'm not sure anyone else does either. That could change in a week or two but at this point in time Lebo and SSA deserve to stand alone.
lacrossejones

New postby Wpslalivin on Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:54 pm

I think you need to include North Allegheny in contention for the number 1 overall WPIAL team at this point. 1 goal loss to Lebo in their last 2 outings as well as the PIAA semifinalists last season.

Rough loss to Hudson though.
Wpslalivin

New postby tomahawk.chop on Sun Apr 06, 2014 1:36 am

Quality of coaching at youth is the issue in Wpa. It's just not as good as 10-15 years ago.
Also, ignorant parents (I am one) prefer to spend money on instruction rather than spend time w their own kid on better basic skills (do this to my daughter... I pay for gymnastics lessons and spend zero time w her cartwheels and backbends).
In other words, parents are happy to dish out $600 for summer club lax rather than spend 6 minutes every day playing wall ball and catch w their laxer.
Spend the money instead on a nice weekend trip for your youth team against a U13 or 15 team in Columbus or Central PA. Everyone will learn more. And It'll only cost $250 per fam and one weekend instead of 2x-3x and 2 months.

I don't do HS predictions but love reading. Good luck this season!
tomahawk.chop

New postby YourDad on Sun Apr 06, 2014 2:34 pm

Using that logic, did PT pull a fast one to get the lead when USC gave up four straight goals to end the first half?

I'm pretty confident I watched film of that game at least 5 more times than you did, and guessing by this comment you probably didn't even see the game live. First three goals for USC were sloppy PT clears and stupid penalties giving saint clair an extra man, by the second they'd settled down and started running the offense and it was nearly impossible for USC to stop them. Credit to USC for coming out in the second half wanting it more than PT. Not tryin to slander USC, so don't be a crybaby about it when I critique them
YourDad

Sponsor

PreviousNext

Return to Boys' High School Lacrosse