Nationals this week

US Lacrosse Women's Collegiate Lacrosse Associates

Nationals this week

New postby LaxinginNH on Mon May 07, 2018 9:37 am

Good luck to all. Should be a fun week. Go Wildcats.

Also, what about your teams and predictions?
LaxinginNH

Re: Nationals this week

New postby KnightsLax407 on Mon May 07, 2018 9:26 pm

Picks based soley on my best guesses and SWLL Bias :lol:
Round 1
Michigan over Oregon (Michigan gets and easy W)
Delaware over CalPoly (Defending Champs in a close one)
UNC over Colorado (Colorado could steal it if they fixed the problems at the end of the season)
St. Marys over Pitt (There's always 1 upset so I'm going with St. Marys since they were an NCAA D1 team last season)
BYU over Penn State (too much big game experience for the Cougars)
Boston College over San Diego State (this one is a nail biter)
UCLA over Virginia (the Bruins recover from be ousted in WWLL)
Georgia over Texas (Too much fire power for the Dawgs)

Round 2
Deleware over Michigan (upset #2)
St. Marys over UNC (Cinderalla continues at the dance)
BYU over Boston College (all that altitude endurance pays off)
Georgia over UCLA (Dawg Defense too much for UCLA)

Final 4
Deleware ends St. Mary's Dance
Georgia over BYU in very physical game

Finals
Dawgs outlast the Blue Hens (because I'm rooting for my SWLL team)
KnightsLax407

New postby Cayuga1 on Tue May 08, 2018 9:08 pm

Glad someone else with some bias! I have Pitt and Michigan matching up. ( I do share concern for St.Mary’s as they could be trouble for Pitt). My surprise team is San Diego St..... they will be meeting Georgia on the other side of ticket
Good luck to all the teams as no small feat just getting to Nationals ! My bias , I can’t help wishing for a Michigan -Georgia matchup for the finals
Cayuga1

New postby HurstLax 39 on Wed May 09, 2018 8:41 am

First morning of nationals!!!

The fields are super nice and all turf. Was a bit of wind last night but not too bad. Biggest thing to watch will be teams being able to handle the heat!! It is warm and there is no shade on those fields besides the tents behind the benches. This morning has some cloud cover but the clouds might burn off before the first round games

I think we won't see an upset in the first round games. Delaware vs Cal Poly and UCLA vs Virginia are the two I think will be the closest but with all the parity this year it really is about whonis playing their best lacrosse and what team gets hot. (pun intended)
"Problems worthy of attack prove their worth by hitting back"
HurstLax 39

New postby Cayuga1 on Wed May 09, 2018 10:14 pm

Expect to see Delaware give Michigan all they can handle and same for Pitt and NC so suspect some close games tomorrow on that side bracket. Georgia get ready for SD State! If anyone there , would love some updates through the day tomorrow.
Cayuga1

New postby HurstLax 39 on Thu May 10, 2018 9:05 am

Cayuga (and anybody else interested in updates) you can always just keep the team Twitter feeds open . a few of them live tweet the games and are good about updating often.
Michigan - @UMichWLAXclub
Georgia - @UGAWomensLax
BYU - @BYUwlax
Pitt - @PittLAXordie
UNC has one but they don't live tweet
SDSU - also doesn't live tweet
Virginia don't think they have a feed
Delaware don't think they have a feed

The morning games are significantly cooler on the turf but it's only getting warmer and I don't think that wind is going anywhere.
Michigan vs Delaware should be a great game between two physical teams.
Pitt vs UNC is a first ever match up. Both teams are traditionally run and gun fast paced so it will be interesting to see what the weather does to the style.
Georgia vs Virginia could be a sneak peek for an upset as UVa looked strong against UCLA yesterday. But Georgia is solid and their style is suited to low scoring possession games.
BYU vs SDSU will be another great game. Will SDSU having only 15 players affect them today? BYU has a deeper bench so might be able to outlast them.
Last edited by HurstLax 39 on Thu May 10, 2018 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
HurstLax 39

New postby LaxinginNH on Thu May 10, 2018 9:33 am

Great updates and predictions so far!

DII
Denver wins both games to advance
UNH (upset pick) - wins both games to advance
Providence (upset pick) - wins both games to advance
Vermont (upset pick) - wins both games to advance

There are your final four!

Good luck to all.
LaxinginNH

New postby HurstLax 39 on Thu May 10, 2018 4:52 pm

UNC looked nearly perfect in their win over Pitt today. early game was very even and then after half UNC had a little run and never looked back. They could easily pull off the upset over Michigan tomorrow.

Michigan and Delaware game was close for most of the way until Michigan pulled away to win 9-5

UVa pulled off the upset and I think they are probably riding an emotional high which might carry them over BYU tomorrow!!

BYU has looked very efficient in their two games.

Going to be 2 great semi-final games tomorrow evening.
UNC vs Michigan ... If UNC plays like they did today UNC wins this one. If MIchigan's goalie is hot and can slow down UNCs offense then Michigan can ride their defense into the Championship game
UVa vs BYU ... I think BYU wins this playing solid and controlling the tempo. But UVa has speed and could take it.
HurstLax 39

New postby NotNewToLax on Mon May 14, 2018 3:02 pm

Congratulations to Michigan on 2 National D1 championships in 4 years. The WCLL typically does well in these tournaments, with 2 or 3 teams in contention. Minnesota was in the finals 2 years ago and Pitt won it all 4 years ago and made the finals last year, but has served as a bridesmaid in the other years.

When you look at these teams to identify a reason for their success, you can see that Michigan had 9 seniors. When they won 3 years ago, the Michigan team had 9 first-years, 7 of which were on this years team. When you look at Pitt, they appear to have retained only 4 of 14 first-years over the 4 years. Retention of players appears to be important, if only because having been there before is a great confidence builder.

Pitt certainly wins the coaching longevity award. Congratulations to Gary Neft on a long run at Pitt. It will be interesting to see how the team changes with someone new at the helm.

Some would say that Michigan has a great advantage because they field a NCAA D I team as well. The club team may have an advantage as those who get cut from the D I team continue their careers on the club team. I am aware of proposals that teams like this have their own division, but that’s for others to determine.

On a different topic, there has been some talk on the various fora about statistics and the chasm between the reports and the truth. I can’t help but believe that most reported statistics are cooked. If everyone agrees to add enough saves to get to 50-55% saves, for example, I guess it’s harmless. Everyone knows that statisticians typically aren’t well trained and don’t know that misses aren’t shots and pipes aren’t saves, right? However, it seems that the teams could make a better effort. Really, why bother with reports if they have no relationship to reality.
NotNewToLax

New postby TinaBaby on Thu May 17, 2018 5:54 pm

To respond to NotNewToLax's comments about Michigan, I just want to say this: we had no players on our team that were cut/quit from the varsity team on our Championship team this year. As one of the 7 of 9 seniors that also won the National Championship when I was a freshman 3 years ago, it prepared us only in understanding the emotions and knowing how much was at stake. The real reason we won in my eyes is what my team liked to call #30strong. We had 30 players on the team that we played for, we didn't play for ourselves. We had a top-scoring senior go down to an ACL injury in the first 1/3 of our season, we played for her. We had another starting senior defender break her foot in the Regional Championship, we played for her. We had a starting senior attacker go down in the National semi-finals to a bad high-ankle sprain, we played for her. We played for our fabulous little starting freshman goalie that saved our butts in net many times. We played for our other 8 rookies that adjusted so seamlessly with the team.

Our team didn't have one or two stars, we consistently had 5 or more goal scorers every game, had 3 fabulous midfield lines that produced on both ends of the field, and a defense that was relentless in its pursuit of the ball. Our Championship win this year was very different than our win 3 years prior. This year we really focused on the off-field dynamics; as cliche as is sounds, we became a family. When you can put the team before yourself and trust each other unequivocally, you become very difficult to beat. Good luck to all teams in the coming years, I'll now be commenting from the graduate end.
TinaBaby

New postby NotNewToLax on Fri May 18, 2018 2:45 pm

Thanks to TinaBaby for her comments in support of the premise that having “been there before” is important, even if “only in understanding the emotions and knowing how much was at stake.” The four-year players recognize that their last year of competition is their last dance. Having 30 percent of the team in that fourth year helps focus the team on the task at hand. Four-year players are, in my opinion, likely to be effective leaders. This is true whether the player contributes by being the best scorer, the best defender, or the best bench coach. Inability to retain four-year players is, and again, this is my opinion, telling about the team’s cohesiveness, or that ‘family’ feeling TinaBaby describes. Four-year players know what to do and how to do it. Individual skill levels differ from player to player, but players in it for themselves, rather than for the ‘family,’ seldom win championships in team sports.
NotNewToLax

Sponsor

Return to Women's WCLA