Weekend of March 3 games

US Lacrosse Women's Collegiate Lacrosse Associates

Weekend of March 3 games

New postby HurstLax 39 on Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:31 pm

Lots of big match-ups happening on both coasts this weekend!! Who comes out the other side and what does it do to the national picture?

West Coast:
UCLA vs Colorado (3/3, 8 PM)
SLO vs Davis
Santa Clara vs Colorado (3/4, 10 AM)
UCLA vs Santa Clara (3/4, 4 PM)
San Diego State vs Santa Clara (3/5, 11 AM)
Big southern trip for Santa Clara ... can their legs keep moving for 3 tough games in 2 days?
How does Colorado respond after the loss to BYU? Can they get back on track and really upset the rankings?
If UCLA gets through this weekend they should be able to stay undefeated for the rest of regular season. If they do that could anyone move ahead of them? (I doubt it based on how strong their early season schedule was!!)

Midwest
A lot of WCLL games going on. Hopefully Minnesota can get back to their winning ways.
How will Ohio State looks this year and does Miami of Ohio continue their momentum getting better and better every year?

South
Georgia Tech vs Kennesaw State - GTech final game of the season!! before some teams have even started.
KennState has been putting up big numbers but only has 1 game left.

East
Delaware, Rutgers, Maryland, Towson, Westchester get the DelMarVa section of the MAWLL going this weekend by all playing each other. Should be at least one of these teams entering the Top20 poll

Did I miss anything? What do we think happens? Lets get some chatter going on the boards :D
"Problems worthy of attack prove their worth by hitting back"
HurstLax 39

Re: Weekend of March 3 games

New postby identitycrisis on Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:43 pm

Huge weekend for Santa Clara! This weekend schedule is very similar to their usual SB Shootout schedule of 4 games in 2 days. Although all three of the teams they play this weekend are in the top 20...that's a tall order. Especially facing UCLA as their second Saturday game. I wouldn't sleep on SDSU either - they always know how to put the ball in the back of the net. This weekend will either make or break Santa Clara.

UCLA looks good with two big wins over Texas and Georgia...but an 8 goal loss by Georgia keeps them at #2? Puzzling...given that Pitt is still undefeated with a OT win over SCU. Maybe this is where being a reigning champ is given a little extra slack. It's hard to break into the top 20, top 10, top 5, but once you're in, you're in.

Minnesota may have a hard time this year, I think they graduated a lot of talent last year and a 16-4 loss to SCU is a tough showing. Michigan and Pitt are looking strong and it'll be fun to see them play at the other regional tournaments later this month.

The MAWLL is confusing and will continue to be a head scratcher for everyone...even if you're in the MAWLL. Tough to know anything without traveling there to see games with your own eyes.
identitycrisis

New postby HurstLax 39 on Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:23 am

What a weekend!!!

UCLA loses to Colorado Friday night in a close one ... Santa Clara beats Colorado Saturday morning ... UCLA beats Santa Clara Saturday afternoon.
I'd say that this will bump Colorado up a few spots. Probably leave UCLA at #1 or 2 but they will certainly lose some of those first place votes. And Santa Clara should stay about where they were. What happened with these games? Any insights?

Not many surprises from the WCLL games. Looks like Miami of Ohio and Ohio State are both playing well right now.

Delaware seems to be on a roll in the MAWLL and there should be some great games when they play another big weekend the first weekend in April.

I'd have to say that the top of the poll should look pretty similar but it will be interesting to see who some of those first place votes go to! Pitt has the OT win over Santa Clara but otherwise hasn't had a very strong slate after not getting to play games out west. Georgia has that loss to UCLA but they won't play again for a few weeks, do they pick up some votes being the reigning champs?

My guess for the poll tomorrow:
UCLA
Georgia
Pitt
Santa Clara
Colorado State
Delaware
Texas
Michigan
JMU
Colorado
"Problems worthy of attack prove their worth by hitting back"
HurstLax 39

New postby identitycrisis on Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:01 pm

Seems like Colorado came back to CA ready to play! After only getting to play BYU during the rained out Shootout and maybe feeling underappreciated at #16, they made a statement beating UCLA by 1. But maybe ran out of gas vs SCU with a short turn around.

Teams should not be getting votes for things that happened in previous years...I know it happens, but it shouldn't. UCLA is the only team with 3 top 10 wins - all by 6+ goals (SCU, Georgia, Texas) and one loss to CU by 1. I think Pitt should be close behind with a 1 goal OT win over SCU. SDSU played SCU close as well, so I think they should stay in the top 10. The MAWLL is way too complicated for me...but I'd think top 10 tomorrow should be:

UCLA
Pitt
Santa Clara
Georgia
Colorado State
SDSU
Michigan
Delaware
Texas
Colorado
identitycrisis

Sponsor