WCLA rules mandate prompt reporting of scores to LaxPower...

US Lacrosse Women's Collegiate Lacrosse Associates

WCLA rules mandate prompt reporting of scores to LaxPower...

New postby dominator on Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:30 pm

LaxPower, for all its warts with the mobile app, makes it incredibly easy to report scores.

Why do so many teams not report their scores if it's mandatory? Maryland and West Chester still don't have a score reported for their game played on 3/4 for example. Why is score reporting so ridiculously lax?

This weekend, there were at least 11 games at Penn State. Still not a score reported! Can anyone shed some light on why the WCLA doesn't enforce their rule?
dominator

Re: WCLA rules mandate prompt reporting of scores to LaxPower...

New postby windenglax on Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:03 pm

Its the host teams responsibility to report score...at least that is the rule in TWLL. Aside from that...how would you suggest it be enforced?
windenglax

New postby dominator on Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:24 pm

From the WCLA website:

"Scores are required to be submitted within 24 hours."

http://www.wcla.us/memberships

Of course, things are going to happen when 24 hours isn't met. However, late score reporting should be the exception, not the rule. For Pete's Sake, you can submit a score on your phone the minute the game is over. If it doesn't really matter, why keep score at all and/or have rankings?

The solution is simple. The league commissioner is responsible. He/She should care enough to identify which programs seem to struggle and and contact them to be more pro-active. Understandably, the East Coast teams have the most stragglers since most of them don't have coaches or administrative help. I think it's an education issue.

Score reporting is what makes Laxpower so great. It raises the level of interest and helps teams compare where they stand in relation to other teams.

Does it makes sense, for instance, that Penn State played 4 games this weekend and only one of their scores is posted? This is a ranked team whose results impact the rankings. You can tell the difference with UGA and Pitt where these scores hit the board in a couple hours.
dominator

New postby identitycrisis on Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:16 am

This has been an issue for many years...and I think part of the issue is empty threats from the WCLA.

Quoted from the WCLA website:
"The national subcommittee is now requiring all WCLA teams to input six categories on the website if they want to be eligible for post-season honors or the WCLA National Championships,' said Liz Holmes, the WCLA subcommittee president.

The required areas of information for the WCLA website are:
1. Register for the WCLA website.
2. Provide a complete game schedule.
3. Provide a list of team contacts.
4. Provide a map or list where home games are played.
5. Provide a complete roster on the website.
6. Provide statistics for each player for games played."

There are many scores missing from both websites, but I highly doubt the WCLA will lay down the hammer and follow through on their threatening attempts to get teams to report their scores, unfortunately.
identitycrisis

New postby FLLaxer5478 on Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:44 am

While I don't understand team's inability to submit scores (or comply with points 1-5), providing statistics can be really hard for some teams. Many have no coach present to keep stats, and so the duty falls to players to keep them as they sub in and out of games. Seems a high bar, especially when players may not know the official stat categories or what might official qualify as a draw control, ground ball, etc.
FLLaxer5478

New postby HurstLax 39 on Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:02 am

I don't really see that big of an issue with scores not being reported until Monday after a weekend full of games. The poll voters don't turn in their votes until Tuesday night and remember that these are college kids who are playing for the love of the game and are PAYING to play. Yes there is a championship and this is a serious and competitive league but at the end of the day its about the girl son the field not about the people coaching or watching.

Regarding stats I think it would even be a huge step forward if all teams could report goals, assists, and saves. I get that draw controls and ground balls take more effort but those three stats could at least make ti easier to compare teams and players for conference and national awards.
"Problems worthy of attack prove their worth by hitting back"
HurstLax 39

Sponsor

Return to Women's WCLA