Speculative National Tournament Picks ?

US Lacrosse Women's Collegiate Lacrosse Associates

Speculative National Tournament Picks ?

New postby wsalzman on Wed Apr 12, 2017 5:20 pm

Here's my (Updated) guess (in no particular order)...

Edited due to input by other posts below:

MAWLL Delaware Club
NEWLL Boston College
RMWLL Colorado State
SWLL Georgia
TWLL TAMU
WCLL Pittsburgh
WWLL UCLA
At Large Santa Clara
At Large Brigham Young
At Large Virginia Tech
At Large Michigan
At Large Colorado
At Large Virginia
At Large Cal Poly Slo
At Large San Diego State
At Large UNC

original picks for posterity:

MAWLL Delaware Club
NEWLL Boston College
RMWLL Colorado State
SWLL Georgia
TWLL Texas
WCLL Pittsburgh
WWLL UCLA
NWWLL Western Washington
At Large Santa Clara
At Large Brigham Young
At Large Virginia Tech
At Large Michigan
At Large Colorado
At Large Virginia
At Large Cal Poly Slo
At Large San Diego State
Last edited by wsalzman on Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
wsalzman

Re: Speculative National Tournament Picks ?

New postby dominator on Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:46 pm

http://www.wcla.us/rules

No automatic qualifier for the NWWLL.

There's no way that conference deserves an at-large bid when you have so many strong teams in the East who play the top competition game in and game out.

Western Washington is 13-1. They played one team from the East, Northeastern. Western Washington barely beat them 17-16, and Northeastern only went 2-5 including an 11 goal loss to BC.

Remember, BC lost to Virginia Tech who lost to UNC who lost to James Madison and Virginia who both lost to Delaware who lost to Penn State and UNC. Too many deserving teams in the East whose records aren't perfect because they play the best competition. The argument can be made that 6 MAWLL teams deserve a bid if the committee really wants the Top 16 teams - UVA, UNC, Delaware, VT, PSU, and JMU
dominator

New postby mawlllax17 on Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:00 am

Agreed....the MAWLL is arguably the most competitive league in the nation, as shown by this season's records. It would be a mistake on the committee's part to send a team such as Western Washington, who hasn't earned a poll top 20 ranking all season, over teams such as VT/UVA/DE/UNC/JMU/PSU and even Duke, who's contended really closely with MAWLL teams, unfortunately coming out at the unlucky end most games.

With the MAWLL Regional Tournament consisting of first round games UNC vs. PSU and UVA vs. DE it will be very interesting to see how things shake out considering in the last two weeks UVA beat UNC, UNC beat DE, DE beat UVA, PSU beat DE, etc.
mawlllax17

New postby windenglax on Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:09 am

Texas lost to TAMU in the TWLL Tournament so TAMU will represent TWLL. Texas lost 3 of its last 4 (CSU, Michigan and TAMU) with the only win being a forfeit against Tulane.

I'm curious if TWLL D1 even met the minimum requirements to qualify for an AQ. Tulane didn't play the minimum required games during the season (they only played 5) and they forfeited for the TWLL tourney. TWLL D1 has 3 solid teams while D2 has some teams that should probably consider the move to D1 to balance the league a bit.
windenglax

New postby wsalzman on Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:09 am

new to the league this year, my daughter didn't play last year, so I just assumed automatic qualifiers for all the leagues... my mistake. Also I agree about MAWLL (especially since my daughter is on the JMU club team) and would welcome seeing JMU get an at large bid, I just thought that one of the requirements was a winning season for an at large bid, and that they would limit the number of at large bids from a single league...
wsalzman

New postby mawlllax17 on Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:04 pm

The winner of the MAWLL Tournament will get the AQ, but I would think any at-large bids would most likely go to 1-2 of the other teams that got a bid to regionals, would they not? I know JMU got a bid even though they didn't make it to regionals last year, but wasn't that only bc PSU declined their bid?
mawlllax17

New postby wsalzman on Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:27 pm

I'm not expecting JMU to get a bid to nationals this year. I'd like to see them go, but a lot of good teams would have to decline before it would get down to us. Playing several of your most important games of the year with both of your goalies and several field players injured sure impacts the outcome of a season.
wsalzman

New postby HurstLax 39 on Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:52 pm

With VaTech not even making the MAWLL tourney I wouldn't be surprised if the poll voters give them a significant drop on Tuesday and they don't make the cut for an At-Large bid. It isn't very common for a team that didn't even make their own conference tournament to get invited to the national tournament.

Another point to note. The NWWLL does have an AQ for this season. The page linked to by dominator was for last years Nationals where the NWWLL was being punished for some infraction and so wasn't given an AQ last year. This year they have an AQ so Western Washington will be going.
https://www.uslacrosse.org/players/coll ... associates

That page also has the link for the bylaws which are really hard to find otherwise.
https://www.uslacrosse.org/sites/defaul ... bylaws.pdf

This season there will be 8 AQs and 8 At-Large bids

My guesses
MAWLL - Delaware, Virginia, Penn State
NEWLL - Boston College
NWWLL - Western Washington
RMWLL - BYU, Colorado State, Colorado
SWLL - Georgia, Central Florida
TWLL - TAMU
WCLL - Pitt, Michigan
WWLL - UCLA, Santa Clara, SDSU

I know thats only 15 teams ... right now based on records I think it would go to VaTech but SLO could steal it away with a great game against UCLA this weekend or a good run in the WWLL tourney.

Another big factor with Nationals this year will be whether teams especially from the East can actually afford to make the trip out to Utah. So I wouldn't be surprised to see one or two teams turn down bids.
"Problems worthy of attack prove their worth by hitting back"
HurstLax 39

New postby wsalzman on Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:30 pm

OK can someone explain the regional selection process for MAWLL to me then? Who is going to the MAWLL Tournament? Also will Duke not playing the required 9 games (they only played 6) hurt the MAWLL in the future (without Duke the MAWLL technically only has 9 teams not the required 10) or am I interpreting the bylaws wrong...
wsalzman

New postby HurstLax 39 on Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:51 pm

So conference tournaments are based solely on in conference record. The MAWLL tourney is top 2 from each region (delmarva/chesepeake) Since VaTech lost to Virginia and UNC they finish third in their division because while UNC also had 2 on region losses they had the head to head win and so win the tiebreaker over VaTech.

Mawlllax17 posted the first round games earlier UNC vs Penn State and Delaware vs Virginia

Having less than the 9 games just means that you can't get an At-large. You could still win your regions AQ.

The 10 team thing is between both D1 and D2. But even still just having the teams is enough it doesn't matter of they play a 9 game season or not.

It is a super confusing process for sure and has taken me 4 years to really start understanding it!!
"Problems worthy of attack prove their worth by hitting back"
HurstLax 39

New postby dominator on Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:48 pm

MAWLL Regionals:

1st place Chesapeake (UVA) vs 2nd Place Delmarva (UD)

2nd place Chesapeake (UNC) vs 1st place Delmarva (PSU)

VT came in 3rd Chesapeake due to head to head loss to UNC as both finished 2-2 in their division. This puts them very much on the outside looking in for at large bids. The 4 teams playing in regionals certainly deserve bids first based on the way the games played out. It's unfortunate for VT, but that's the way it should be in full transparency.

I'm also wondering if PSU could possibly have issues getting an at large bid if they don't win regionals since they turned down a bid last year. Not sure if that upsets the powers that be or if they are understanding in these situations.

For those who pay attention out east, there has to be a lot of head scratching with the 4/11 poll. It's a gross disconnect that VT is rated highest of any MAWLL team - and by a significant margin. That can only be because they beat UGA, and the UGA coach is on the committee. The coaches who are on the committee certainly have a bias in keeping their teams' rankings high versus the teams from the East with no coaches and frankly no political capital.

It's clear the ratings are way off to anyone who knows this conference and how its stacks up against the rest of the country. There has been enough cross sectional play where you can compare teams who have played common opponents. I'm bemused at the myopia where the coaches only really rank the teams they've seen in person. You can know for sure that UNC can play when they handled VT - the same team that handled BC and UGA (who scored the last 3 goals of the game against VT to make it a one goal game). UNC is ranked # 15?? Not sure if the bias is ignorance or intentional, but there's an out of sight, out of mind feel to the polling each week. Since this is club lacrosse, many people don't think twice about it. Look at the Laxpower power ratings, and you'll see 6 MAWLL teams are in the Top 14. It may not be perfect, but it's objective. These coaches on the committee will be here again next year, but it will be a new set of captains who take over their respective teams oblivious to how the polling process works. Like I said in a previous post, why don't these west coast teams travel east like the D1 teams do each year? Come play 4 games in two days at JMU or UVA and see if your opinion changes. I doubt you'll leave 4-0. None of the teams who played at JMU last weekend did either.
dominator

New postby mawlllax17 on Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:26 pm

Very well said, dominator.

Interesting point about PSU, I hadn't thought about that coming into play.

Yeah, we over in MAWLL have been very confused by the 4/11 poll, as well. It's alright though, maybe coming to nationals underestimated will give us an edge :)

Personally, think Delaware may get the AQ - they're a strong team and UNC played a really great game against them to earn the win, overcoming a 6-1 deficit in the first half to win by 3 goals. Witnessed the UD vs. PSU game, and the UD girls were simply gassed since that game was played DIRECTLY after the UNC game. PSU is not the stronger team. UD had back-to-back games both days, and we all know scheduling comes into play when you have a weekend of tough games and some teams are afforded breaks while others are not.
mawlllax17

New postby wsalzman on Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:53 pm

Thanks for the explanation. My daughter told me it was the top 4 teams, but for some reason I was thinking top 4 MAWLL Chesapeake, not top 4 overall MAWLL, and I didn't realize that VT was eliminated due to the head to head loss with UNC. There was some amazing lacrosse played at the JMU SpringFling last weekend... so many closely matched teams. Anyone know what happened with Towson? I know that I heard that a couple of their girls quit the team mid weekend (including their goalie).
wsalzman

New postby FLLaxer5478 on Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:39 pm

When is the field announced?
FLLaxer5478

New postby adamw12 on Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:44 am

The tournament field and seedings should be announed from USL by next Wednesday. There are two leagues left to complete their league championships this weekend before we can proceed with the seeding.
adamw12

New postby dominator on Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:31 pm

Good news for teams seeking at-large bids last weekend. All 5 favorites advanced as Automatic Qualifiers establishing at least some temporary order.

The committee has a really tough job. I can see there are going to be two or three very deserving teams left out. It's the strongest field I've seen. Let the politicking begin...

MAWLL regional playoffs are set per above. How does the WWLL regional work?
dominator

New postby ClassicCrosse on Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:31 am

Does anyone have news on the MAWLL tourney in Chapel Hill?
ClassicCrosse

New postby mawlllax17 on Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:28 pm

MAWLL Tournament update:

UD beat UNC yesterday, 11-10, to advance to the championship game.
UVA beat VT, 11-9 to advance.

UD and UVA play today at 1:00 pm.
mawlllax17

New postby ClassicCrosse on Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:05 pm

Thank you for the update. I guess I haven't kept up very well, previous posts had PSU participating instead of VT, did PSU decline? Glad to see UVA playing strong, while they were competitive last year, they seemed to end up on the short end of some close games.
ClassicCrosse

New postby wsalzman on Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:23 pm

Classic... yes PSU declined and the executive committee chose to move the next highest ranked team up to the regional tournament which was VT. I see that the score just posted UVA 11 - UD 14 so Delaware gets the MAWLL automatic qualifier and hopefully UVA will get an at large bid.
wsalzman

Sponsor

Next

Return to Women's WCLA