Selections/Seeds for the WCLA National Championships

US Lacrosse Women's Collegiate Lacrosse Associates

Selections/Seeds for the WCLA National Championships

New postby DakotaDan on Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:02 pm

The University of Pittsburgh has received the number one seed in the Division I bracket of the 2017 US Lacrosse Women's Collegiate Lacrosse Associates (WCLA) National Championship, which showcases the nation's premier non-varsity collegiate teams. The championship tournament will be played May 10-13 at the Regional Athletic Complex in Salt Lake City, Utah.

The Division I field features 16 teams, and is comprised of a combination of teams earning automatic qualifiers as league champions and teams earning at-large berths. The full Division I field is listed below. The Division II selections will be announced separately.

Pittsburgh brings a 14-1 overall record into the WCLA championship tournament, including an eight-game winning streak. The Panthers, national champions in 2014, enter the tournament as an automatic qualifier after winning the Women's Collegiate Lacrosse League (WCLL) title for the fourth time in five years. Pitt is making its 11th overall appearance in the championship tournament.

Santa Clara (11-2) received the number two seed after winning the Western Women's Lacrosse League (WWLL) title. The Broncos are making their 13th overall and 10th straight tournament appearance. UCLA (12-2) is seeded third and defending champion Georgia (13-3) is the number four seed.

The US Lacrosse WCLA structure consists of over 230 college programs from across the country. The WCLA National Championship began in 2001 with a Division I tournament. A Division II championship was added in 2010.

Selections for the championship field are based on a variety of criteria, including: overall record, record versus ranked teams, results versus common opponents, record versus WCLA teams, quality wins/quality losses, head-to-head results, conference playoff performance, final conference standings, and more.

Both the D-I and D-II championship games on Saturday, May 13 will be available for viewing via free streaming at www.CoachesAid.com.

The complete 2017 Division I field, with records included:

No. 1 University of Pittsburgh (14-1)
No. 2 Santa Clara University (11-2)
No. 3 University of California, Los Angeles (12-2)
No. 4 University of Georgia (13-3)
No. 5 Colorado State University (12-4)
No. 6 Boston College Club (13-1)
No. 7 University of Delaware Club (9-2)
No. 8 Brigham Young University (9-1)
No. 9 University of Virginia Club (11-3)
No. 10 Virginia Tech University Club (8-3)
No. 11 University of Michigan Club (9-4)
No. 12 California Polytechnic State University (7-7)
No. 13 San Diego State University (11-4)
No. 14 University of North Carolina Club (8-3)
No. 15 Texas A&M University (7-3)
No. 16 Western Washington University (13-1)

More information about the 2017 US Lacrosse WCLA National Championships, including game schedules and competition brackets, when finalized, can be found online at uslacrosse.org/wcla.

The University of Denver Club has received the number one seed in the Division II bracket of the 2017 US Lacrosse Women's Collegiate Lacrosse Associates (WCLA) National Championship, to be played May 10-13 at the Regional Athletic Complex in Salt Lake City, Utah.

The WCLA National Championship, which showcases the nation's premier non-varsity collegiate teams, features a 12-team field for Division II. The field is comprised of a combination of teams earning automatic qualifiers as league champions and teams earning at-large berths. The Division II seeds are listed below.

Denver is the defending Division II champion and earned the top seed for the second straight year. The Pioneers bring a 10-2 overall record into the tournament, and are making their fourth straight and fifth overall appearance in the championship.

Grand Canyon, one of just two undefeated teams, is the number two seed, with Loyola University Maryland Club receiving the number three seed, and Concordia (Ca.) awarded the fourth seed.

In the Division II format, the teams are arranged into four pods of three teams each. A round-robin within each pod determines the qualifier that advances into the semifinal round. Single-elimination is utilized in the semifinals and final.

The US Lacrosse WCLA structure consists of over 230 college programs from across the country. The WCLA National Championship began in 2001 with a Division I tournament. A Division II championship was added in 2010.

Selections for the championship field are based on a variety of criteria, including: overall record, record versus ranked teams, results versus common opponents, record versus WCLA teams, quality wins/quality losses, head-to-head results, conference playoff performance, final conference standings, and more.

More information about the 2017 US Lacrosse WCLA National Championships, including game schedules and competition brackets, when finalized, can be found online at uslacrosse.org/wcla.

The complete 2017 Division II field, with records included:

No. 1 University of Denver Club (10-2)
No. 2 Grand Canyon University (12-0)
No. 3 Loyola University Maryland Club (9-2)
No. 4 Concordia (Ca.) University (12-2)
No. 5 University of Vermont Club (7-0)
No. 6 University of Utah (7-2)
No. 7 Providence College (10-3)
No. 8 Grand Valley State University Club (11-2)
No. 9 St. Thomas University (10-2)
No. 10 College of St. Benedict (9-3)
No. 11 Utah State University (6-5)
No. 12 Washington State University (9-2)

Opening Round Groupings
Pool A – Denver, Grand Valley State, Washington State
Pool B – Grand Canyon, Providence, Utah State
Pool C – Loyola, Utah, St. Benedict
Pool D – Concordia, Vermont, St. Thomas

Both the D-I and D-II championship games on Saturday, May 13 will be available for viewing via free streaming at www.CoachesAid.com.
DakotaDan
Site Admin

Re: Selections/Seeds for the WCLA National Championships

New postby HurstLax 39 on Tue May 02, 2017 2:22 pm

with 1 week until teams start arriving in Utah do we have any predictions for the first round? Will there be any big upsets like years past?

Left side of bracket games at 11 AM
Pitt vs Western Washington - I'll go with Pitt
BYU vs UVa - The 8/9 matchup should be a great game. Not sure who to go with but I think BYU will win because of home field advantage. A more neutral site and I might pick UVa but I think BYU will take this in a close one.
Colorado State vs SLO - Early season game went to triple OT but I think Colorado State is playing well lately and takes this
Georgia vs SDSU - This is a really interesting match-up to me. Georgia is known for a stingy defense and SDSU likes to put up a lot of points. SDSU just beat UCLA but then turned around and got beaten badly by Santa Clara. I think this game will be closer than you would expect from a 4/13 match-up but that Georgia will pull it out.

Right side of bracket games at 2 PM
Santa Clara vs Texas A&M - Santa Clara
Delaware vs VaTech - interesting that these two teams haven't already played this season. I'm going with Delaware
BC vs Michigan - I think Michigan wins this one for a first round upset
UCLA vs UNC - This should be another interesting game and will be closer than a 3/14 match-up should be but I think UCLA takes this one. UNC has had some great games this year but are a bit inconsistent and I think UCLA has a chip on their shoulder after losing to SDSU in their conference playoffs.

So I am not predicting many upsets but I definitely see the potential for a few depending on who shows up to play after a week or so off for most teams. Weather looks good for now with just some chance of rain on Wednesday during these first round games but I don't think that should have much of an effect on the outcomes.
"Problems worthy of attack prove their worth by hitting back"
HurstLax 39

Sponsor

Return to Women's WCLA