Changes at LaxPower as the 2018 Season Approaches

US Lacrosse Women's Collegiate Lacrosse Associates

'Pay no attention to that man ...

New postby rafterjack on Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:40 pm

Dan, Baldo - You were just names. I not knowing what you did, how site functioned. Did know you were officials, authorities ... 'by BALDO', so immed. hackles up. Hm. 'By Dakota Dan'. Be on guard. But, oh-so-much-I'm-wanting-my-name-in-lights. Instead (of lights), got, 'pollster'. Hm. Supposedly fame found here. Weekly (thirteen weeks) write-up the top twenty women's lacrosse teams ... and say why so. Cite references/sources. Back up your work. Hm. I commenced posting in 2005 ... it was that I no longer thought the Dartmouth men's team would (ever) win the National Championship. The college having a strong women's program, I switched allegiances. Didn't (haven't - yet) win one ... came close in 2006. Hm. Came here today as I have come every spring. Mystic chords ... played, coached, officiated & originating from a Maryland family (Mount Washington). Great good luck to you. Seamless. Didn't even know you (were), 'back there' ... It, you ... was, were ... like the great Wizard of Oz, himself. No humbug! Until Toto came along ... "Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain!", say.

:naughty:
When it comes to going after what you love in life, don't take no for an answer, maybe.
rafterjack

Re: Changes at LaxPower as the 2018 Season Approaches

New postby Lax Fidelis on Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:30 am

Kramerica.Inc wrote:
dislaxxic wrote:Has anyone attempted to PM NewsAdmin? Sorry if i missed any comments about this up-thread...

I contacted him yesterday and he responded to me today:

We’re currently working on setting the 2018 season up and it should be ready within 1-2 weeks.
We’re a little bit behind this year but we’re working as hard as we can on getting it ready!

Thanks,

Sure they are. :lol:
"Still, a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest." Paul Simon, 1968.

I.O.K.I.Y.A.R.

Caveat lector, nullius in verba.
Lax Fidelis

New postby Lax Veritas on Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:26 pm

Kramerica.Inc wrote:
I contacted him yesterday and he responded to me today:

We’re currently working on setting the 2018 season up and it should be ready within 1-2 weeks.

We’re a little bit behind this year but we’re working as hard as we can on getting it ready!

Thanks,

Little bit behind? In the past, my recollection is that new year schedules here were initially made public in mid-late September, so I guess they figure 4 months is a "little behind" and that for a season that only lasts 4 months in total. Hey, they aren't worried, so why should the rest of us be concerned?

Think positive, News, jobs and Mens' recruits are not being covered and new forum registrations are also still turned off at all and there is NO schedule for them to be reinstated. So only four months late on schedules is a nothingburger.
"If you can't afford a NO answer -
Don't Ask!"
Lax Veritas

New postby Matnum PI on Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:43 am

Most people aren't aware of this but NewsAdmin and much of the grunt work him and his team does is based out of Asia. Historically, Baldo, Dan et. al. did all the brain work and data entry while others did some of the tech grunt work and... It worked. Going forward, the team in Asia will have to support both. The issue is that their lacrosse knowledge and English are less than perfect (if you tried asking questions on the mobile app you would have regularly already seen this). So, in order to make LaxPower more lacrosse- and language-friendly for NewsAdmin and his team, they're using a translator. Saw some of their changes and, in general, it's really not so bad. The new system works. There are small language glitches where middies becomes boatmen, Terriers becomes black dogs, LaxPower becomes BigStrongLacrosseBoat, and stuff like that. Which is fine. It's little different than reading a mediocre-ly translated novel. Anyway, just as a heads-up, starting on February 1st, the LaxPower name will be changed to LaxTitanic. Again, just a heads-up.

18 days until the first game of the season...
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
Matnum PI

New postby cwoz72 on Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:10 am

Any word as to whether 2017 US Lacrosse All Americans and US Lacrosse Academic All Americans will ever be added?
Will the Recruit lists ever be updated?
If scores are ever updated is the intent to maintain ROM? - it is not clear to me whether this has been updated for 2017

As the holder of an annual subscription to the premium app I am also looking for the following advertised content (as found currently in Apple Store):
-Follow your favorite lacrosse teams with unrivaled comprehensive coverage
-#1 source for High School lacrosse scores and schedules
-Score submissions for all high school games
-Stay locked in with up-to-the-minute final score notifications pushed to your mobile phone.
-NEW - Exclusive provider of match previews for all high school games
-Keep connected and engaged with the LaxPower community with the LaxPower forums
-Keep up to date with your favorite team's ratings and rankings including LaxPower's Power Rating.
cwoz72

New postby despair21044 on Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:21 pm

As the holder of an annual subscription to the premium app

Is it too late to get out of that? :twisted:
Now listen to me, all of you.
You are all condemned men.
We keep you alive to serve this ship.
So row well, and live.
despair21044

New postby Matnum PI on Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:37 am

cwoz72, as a heads-up, to cancel the subscription, you can't just do it at any time. There's a specific windows immediately before it automatically renews. Mark your calendar or you'll have another annual subscription. This app, from it's inception until today, was literally a money grab. ACTIVE using LaxPower's brand to pilfer money from the lacrosse community.

With this said... Two weeks to the new season and ACTIVE launching their "unrivaled comprehensive coverage"! 14 days!
Caddy Day
Matnum PI

New postby Lax Veritas on Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:30 am

Here is the refund/cancellation policy at the App Store (for Apple users). Can only assume the policy is the same for Android users

"LaxPower Premium Pricing
Monthly subscriptions are offered at Apple Tier 8 pricing ($3.99 USD). Annual subscriptions are offered at Apple Tier 20 pricing ($9.99 USD). Subscriptions are charged to your iTunes account when you confirm your purchase and will auto-renew at the end of the subscription period for the same duration as your initial enrollment at the current price, unless cancelled at least 24-hours before the end of your current subscription period. Cancellation or refund of the active current subscription period is not allowed per Apple’s policies. In the app, tap More to either Restore or Manage Your Subscription."

That said, my experience with the Apple apps store is that you can cancel a subscription anytime but no refund and you should not get auto-renewed. Per above, if you don't cancel at least 24 hours before the subscription expires you will be auto-renewed and charged for another year and no refund there either. More information at this link:

https://appletoolbox.com/2012/11/how-to ... criptions/

I also suspect if you cancel anytime, then your access to ratings might then be compromised as a result but I'm not sure. 2018 information is not currently available on the app (nor also here on the website as has been pointed out previously).
Don't Ask!"
Lax Veritas

New postby Traveler on Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:49 am

Not coming around here often, I am late to say it - but wanted to be sure the old guys heard it - thanks for everything you did to create the Board (and in the old days, for the always-intriguing email chains). This was the rare internet place worth visiting.

Vaya Con Dios.
Traveler

New postby Matnum PI on Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:18 pm

Clue that things are going to change at LaxPower. This is where the Google link took me:

Televised Lacrosse Games for 2018
Listings are not likely to be posted in 2018 due to the departure of the people who handled them.
Caddy Day
Matnum PI

New postby Brooklyn on Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:24 pm

Televised Lacrosse Games for 2018
Listings are not likely to be posted in 2018 due to the departure of the people who handled them.

hopefully, online streams schedule will still to be posted :handgestures-fingerscrossed:
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

~ Charles Francis "Socker" Coe ~
Brooklyn

New postby Lax Veritas on Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:42 pm

Very wishful thinking, I'm afraid. As far as I can tell, currently the only functioning part of the LaxPower website are these forums. No content has been updated since the LP guys left in the middle of last month. No 2018 schedules are available either.

I'd take Matnum's posted reference LITERALLY.
Don't Ask!"
Lax Veritas

New postby Lax Fidelis on Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:17 am

Almost 6 weeks since the LP gurus left and the predictions are pretty much on target thus far. The forums muddle along and everything else is DOA. Nicely done, Active. :clap: :clap:
"Still, a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest." Paul Simon, 1968.

I.O.K.I.Y.A.R.

Caveat lector, nullius in verba.
Lax Fidelis

New postby youenjoymyself on Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:42 pm

What's really disturbing is that it looks like they tried to reset the db to handle HS schedules for 2018 but didn't finish the job. That could be because they didn't realize the job wasn't finished, or they realized but didn't know how to do so. Either way, it's certainly not encouraging.

You can click on '2018' now, but it's just a clone of 2017 that hasn't been reset. And you can't add a game without getting "database error". And it's been this way since at least Monday. Despite the db changes probably requiring 5-10 minutes worth of work from someone who knows what they're doing.

States that rely on LaxPower for standings/seedings really ought to start looking elsewhere for a solution.
youenjoymyself

New postby Matnum PI on Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:54 pm

Great news! I sent them an e-mail about our Fantasy League (on December 21st) and they just replied.

Hi Matt,

Thanks for reaching out. I apologize for the delay. We switched email systems and your email was stuck in limbo.

We will continue to provide each of the functionalities that you listed. We’re currently in the process of getting 2018 ready and the information should be available soon.

Thanks!
LaxPower Team

So all our worrying was for nothing! We're all set! Nothing can go wrong now!
Caddy Day
Matnum PI

New postby El Kabong on Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:22 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Classic "The dog at my homework" excuse. Priceless!
"Now hoooooold on thar, Baba Looey! I'll do the "thinnin'" around here, and doooon't you forget eet!"
El Kabong

New postby Matnum PI on Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:22 pm

"We’re currently in the process of getting 2018 ready and the information should be available soon"

... I'd bet 5 gazillion dollars that they have no idea that the NCAA season starts in seven days.
Caddy Day
Matnum PI

New postby shrimpngrits on Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:52 am

Trolling Uncle Charlie will surely help the situation.
shrimpngrits

New postby Rufus T Firefly on Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:00 am

Probably won't matter much as there is no evidence of Uncle Charlie having even been here recently, if ever.
"I got a good mind to join a club and beat you over the head with it."
Rufus T Firefly

New postby Matnum PI on Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:14 pm

[Boy never meets his father. Father shows up when the boy is ten years old to say, Hello. I'm your father. And I'm going to buy you a horse and BB gun. Matter of fact, as many horses and BB guns as you want. Father then leaves never to be heard from again. The boy sends him several e-mails but, in return, he only receives boilerplate responses.]

Boy (now 15 years-old): My father sucks.
ShrimpnGrits: Trolling your father will not help the situation.
Caddy Day
Matnum PI

Sponsor

PreviousNext

Return to Women's WCLA