Changes at LaxPower as the 2018 Season Approaches

US Lacrosse Women's Collegiate Lacrosse Associates

Re: Changes at LaxPower as the 2018 Season Approaches

New postby Delco Transplant on Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:28 am

I have had several people ask me about the inability to register to make postings. Are no new members being accepted? Under the Announcements/New Account Registration, the following was posted on December 13, 2017:
****
Forum: New registrations have now been turned off. It is likely that the link for new registrations will be available infrequently, if at all from this point going forward.

****
As interest in the sport continues to grow, it is unfortunate if no new perspectives can be shared
Delco Transplant
 
Posts: 42
Joined: Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:12 am

Re: Changes at LaxPower as the 2018 Season Approaches

New postby Matnum PI on Sun Apr 08, 2018 5:43 pm

The new owners aren't lacrosse fans. The best things about LaxPower are the HS Schedules and Game Scores (you can get the college schedules and game scores everywhere) and the Forum. And both are, to be kind, not being nurtured. Not good.
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
User avatar
Matnum PI
 
Posts: 4260
Joined: Sat Dec 04, 2004 7:30 pm
Location: Baltimore, Maryland

Re: Changes at LaxPower as the 2018 Season Approaches

New postby CU77 on Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:28 pm

Delco Transplant wrote:I have had several people ask me about the inability to register to make postings. Are no new members being accepted? Under the Announcements/New Account Registration, the following was posted on December 13, 2017:
****
Forum: New registrations have now been turned off. It is likely that the link for new registrations will be available infrequently, if at all from this point going forward.

****
As interest in the sport continues to grow, it is unfortunate if no new perspectives can be shared

Yes, this forum is undergoing a slow death. It's like the movie Children of Men, in which all women suddenly become infertile, and the world plunges into chaos after 20 years of no new births ...

Eventually we will need to find/create an alternative forum. I know of one that was in the works, but haven't heard anything new in a while ...
www.si.com/vault/1971/06/14/611594/big-red-votes-itself-no-1
www.si.com/vault/1976/06/07/614885/big-red-sticks-it-to-the-terps
www.si.com/vault/1977/06/06/621812/cornells-wild-irish-rose
User avatar
CU77
 
Posts: 5173
Joined: Sun May 22, 2005 3:40 pm
Location: Santa Barbara CA

Re: Changes at LaxPower as the 2018 Season Approaches

New postby Delaxfan on Tue May 08, 2018 9:57 pm

This may be old news but yesterday I was able to register to be able to post on forums. I registered via my app on phone and now using desktop version to post this. I had tried to register several times earlier this year but could not (or at least I could not figure out how to do it). I figured I would post this based on some of the posts I read on this thread about the inability to register.
Delaxfan
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon May 07, 2018 10:40 am

Re: Changes at LaxPower as the 2018 Season Approaches

New postby Matnum PI on Wed May 09, 2018 10:24 pm

CU77 wrote:Eventually we will need to find/create an alternative forum. I know of one that was in the works, but haven't heard anything new in a while ...


Everyone's invited to the party at FanLax and within the FanLax Forum. Currently, Me, the other Fantasy Lacrosse Coaches, and a handful of Lacrosse fans are in attendance, and... All are welcome. Currently, it's basically a forum for me to make fun of the other coaches in the Fantasy League with complete impunity and... It's adaptable and it exists.
Last edited by Matnum PI on Fri Aug 03, 2018 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
User avatar
Matnum PI
 
Posts: 4260
Joined: Sat Dec 04, 2004 7:30 pm
Location: Baltimore, Maryland

Re: Changes at LaxPower as the 2018 Season Approaches

New postby gLax on Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:09 pm

Delaxfan wrote:This may be old news but yesterday I was able to register to be able to post on forums. I registered via my app on phone and now using desktop version to post this. I had tried to register several times earlier this year but could not (or at least I could not figure out how to do it). I figured I would post this based on some of the posts I read on this thread about the inability to register.


Delaxfan, were you able to register onto the Forum using your App base subscription or the App premium subscription?
User avatar
gLax
 
Posts: 889
Joined: Sat Dec 04, 2004 9:59 pm
Location: www

Re: Changes at LaxPower as the 2018 Season Approaches

New postby WOMBAT on Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:18 pm

gLax wrote:
Delaxfan wrote:This may be old news but yesterday I was able to register to be able to post on forums. I registered via my app on phone and now using desktop version to post this. I had tried to register several times earlier this year but could not (or at least I could not figure out how to do it). I figured I would post this based on some of the posts I read on this thread about the inability to register.


Delaxfan, were you able to register onto the Forum using your App base subscription or the App premium subscription?


Well, that confirms LP sold one download of the app.
WOMBAT, Moderator Emeritus
Make Hopkins Lacrosse Great Again!
VOTE WOMBAT - President 2020
User avatar
WOMBAT
 
Posts: 4220
Joined: Tue Dec 07, 2004 6:05 pm
Location: Woop Woop

Re: Changes at LaxPower as the 2018 Season Approaches

New postby CU77 on Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:05 pm

Matnum PI wrote:
CU77 wrote:Eventually we will need to find/create an alternative forum. I know of one that was in the works, but haven't heard anything new in a while ...


Everyone's invited to the party at FanLax and within the FanLax Forum. Currently, Me, the other Fantasy Lacrosse Coaches, and a handful of Lacrosse fans are in attendance, and... All are welcome. Currently, it's basically a forum for me to make fun of the other coaches in the Fantasy League with complete impunity and... It's adaptable and it exists.


Laxpower was just down for several days. Some of us, fearing the worst, started moving to Matnum PI's fanlax forum, which now appears to have a different address than the one linked above:

http://lummys.com/fanlax/phpbb3/index.php

This is our meeting point if/when laxpower ceases operations! Bookmark it now!
www.si.com/vault/1971/06/14/611594/big-red-votes-itself-no-1
www.si.com/vault/1976/06/07/614885/big-red-sticks-it-to-the-terps
www.si.com/vault/1977/06/06/621812/cornells-wild-irish-rose
User avatar
CU77
 
Posts: 5173
Joined: Sun May 22, 2005 3:40 pm
Location: Santa Barbara CA

Re: Changes at LaxPower as the 2018 Season Approaches

New postby MDlaxfan76 on Mon Jul 30, 2018 2:01 pm

Has anyone explained why the site was down?

I sent a couple of emails to the Admin email address listed for such, but got no response.

Thanks re the other forum.
User avatar
MDlaxfan76
 
Posts: 6669
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:53 am

Re: Changes at LaxPower as the 2018 Season Approaches

New postby Matnum PI on Fri Aug 03, 2018 4:35 pm

MDLaxFan76, Just the nature of a website/forum. The hosting service changes their version of Java or whatever and it causes a glitch and... you fix it. Just the nature of the beast. And as long as Active keeps stepping in and fixing these glitches, this Forum will stay operable. That there was this glitch is not a red flag. that it took so long for it to be fixed, that was the red flag.
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
User avatar
Matnum PI
 
Posts: 4260
Joined: Sat Dec 04, 2004 7:30 pm
Location: Baltimore, Maryland

Re: Changes at LaxPower as the 2018 Season Approaches

New postby MDlaxfan76 on Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:06 am

Thanks Matnum...I'm in the consumer web site business myself and was surprised both by the length of out of service and the lack of response to multiple queries. Still no response.

If we were out of service for 15 minutes, we'd consider it calamitous.
We do agile development so are constantly pushing changes to the site, but we have a rigorous testing environment and process, so the inevitable 'glitches' happen out of public view. They're solved before they make it to the production site. Of course, that doesn't guarantee perfection, so we do get occasional gotchas that need fixing, but no site closures in 5 years.

We also have close to 24/7 'live' chat coverage, with well over 90% immediate response, certainly 100% within 4 hours. From a human being not just an auto-response.

So, yes the OoS wasn't the big red flag, it was the lack of response, explanation, whatever. Again, still no response.

Hopefully LP will get rejuvenated, but I've signed up for your forum and the acceptance came through yesterday. Good to know it's there!
User avatar
MDlaxfan76
 
Posts: 6669
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:53 am

Re: Changes at LaxPower as the 2018 Season Approaches

New postby WOMBAT on Sat Aug 04, 2018 4:16 pm

Bunkers, Fallout Shelters, all good.

We’ve got to become preppers!
WOMBAT, Moderator Emeritus
Make Hopkins Lacrosse Great Again!
VOTE WOMBAT - President 2020
User avatar
WOMBAT
 
Posts: 4220
Joined: Tue Dec 07, 2004 6:05 pm
Location: Woop Woop

Re: Changes at LaxPower as the 2018 Season Approaches

New postby Matnum PI on Sat Aug 04, 2018 10:55 pm

MD76, I agree. It's ridiculous.

My thinking is, How does it hurt to have a back-up stick? Especially when your #1 stick is acting up.
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
User avatar
Matnum PI
 
Posts: 4260
Joined: Sat Dec 04, 2004 7:30 pm
Location: Baltimore, Maryland

Re: Changes at LaxPower as the 2018 Season Approaches

New postby MDlaxfan76 on Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:06 am

Great analogy.
User avatar
MDlaxfan76
 
Posts: 6669
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:53 am

Re: Changes at LaxPower as the 2018 Season Approaches

New postby Matnum PI on Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:41 am

If only it didn't cost $2,195. :)
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
User avatar
Matnum PI
 
Posts: 4260
Joined: Sat Dec 04, 2004 7:30 pm
Location: Baltimore, Maryland

Re: Changes at LaxPower as the 2018 Season Approaches

New postby dislaxxic on Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:13 pm

May i ask the why and wherefores of continuing with all the very same mods at The LifeBoat (the "Arc"?)? Is that in fact the case??

Assume there will eventually be a post policy produced? Could that possibly be an open forum discussion...developing the guidelines for posting and deleting/modifying posts??

Just axin'

..
"The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog." - Calvin, to Hobbes
User avatar
dislaxxic
 
Posts: 8568
Joined: Fri Jan 21, 2005 12:55 pm
Location: Moving To Montana Soon...

Re: Changes at LaxPower as the 2018 Season Approaches

New postby Matnum PI on Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:42 pm

There won't be the same mods. Created a Post Policy thread on FanLax. Curious to read your thoughts. In general, it seems that people are less bothered by policies than the people implementing the policies. But curious to read your thoughts.
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
User avatar
Matnum PI
 
Posts: 4260
Joined: Sat Dec 04, 2004 7:30 pm
Location: Baltimore, Maryland

Re: Changes at LaxPower as the 2018 Season Approaches

New postby Matnum PI on Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:32 am

In one of the FanLax threads, Wombat wrote the f word. Wombat's f word didn't slip through any more than I slipped through my living room and went to the kitchen. Currently, No one cares. But, dislaxxic, as you touched on, I imagine that this will be discussed and a policy will be created.
Last edited by Matnum PI on Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
User avatar
Matnum PI
 
Posts: 4260
Joined: Sat Dec 04, 2004 7:30 pm
Location: Baltimore, Maryland

Re: Changes at LaxPower as the 2018 Season Approaches

New postby Matnum PI on Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:50 pm

Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
User avatar
Matnum PI
 
Posts: 4260
Joined: Sat Dec 04, 2004 7:30 pm
Location: Baltimore, Maryland

Sponsor
 

Previous

Return to Women's WCLA

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests