Divisions in WCLA?

US Lacrosse Women's Collegiate Lacrosse Associates

Divisions in WCLA?

New postby KnightsLax407 on Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:15 am

Can anyone explain the divisions in WCLA? I was told at one point DII was for teams that were farther away from getting varsity programs, and DI was for teams with Varsity programs or near it...

Do we still need divisions?

Just curious
KnightsLax407

Re: Divisions in WCLA?

New postby Lax&Life on Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:52 am

Is there any way to know if/when a club team is changing to a Varsity program?
Lax&Life

Re: Divisions in WCLA?

New postby wsalzman on Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:25 pm

I don't know exactly how the divisions are set, but I would guess that the power rating on this site is a good way to judge whether a team is in the right division. The power rating is a way to estimate on past performance what the outcome of any two teams playing together will be, and it appears that this rating is accurate across the whole range from NCAA Div I to WCLA Div II... i.e. JMU Varsity Women's Lacrosse team has a Power rating right now of 92.45 (on 3/2/2018) and JMU Women's Club Lacrosse team has a Power rating of 70.89. So based on that, if those two teams played each other (which is not allowed by NCAA rules) you would expect that the varsity DI team would win by 22 points. Grand Canyon won the Division 2 championship last year, and ended the regular season with a power rating of 70.32 which puts it near the median of power ratings for Division 1, so I can see why they were offered to move up divisions. In general, the range of power ratings for division 1 teams are higher than for division 2 teams. Divisions are designed to allow closer matches between teams, so I think we definitely need divisions, to give new teams time to improve in the lower divisions before they move up to the higher, more competitive divisions. I don't believe it really has anything to do with whether a school has or will soon have a varsity team. JMU has had a varsity women's lacrosse program for a long time, and JMU Club lacrosse just moved up to Division 1 WCLA a three or so years ago.
wsalzman

Sponsor

Return to Women's WCLA