Nationals List

US Lacrosse Women's Collegiate Lacrosse Associates

Nationals List

New postby KnightsLax407 on Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:31 pm

Division I
No. 1 University of Michigan Club (15-0)
No. 2 University of Georgia (14-3)
No. 3 Brigham Young University (13-2)
No. 4 University of Pittsburgh (13-3)
No. 5 University of North Carolina Club (9-2)
No. 6 Boston College Club (13-2)
No. 7 University of Virginia Club (8-3)
No. 8 University of Delaware Club (8-1)
No. 9 California Polytechnic State University (9-4)
No. 10 University of California, Los Angeles (9-5)
No. 11 San Diego State University Club (10-4)
No. 12 University of Colorado Club (14-6)
No. 13 St. Mary’s (Ca.) College (10-3)
No. 14 Penn State University Club (6-4)
No. 15 University of Texas (9-5)
No. 16 University of Oregon Club (6-5)

Division II
No. 1 University of Denver Club (11-4)
No. 2 Loyola University Maryland Club (10-3)
No. 3 St. Thomas University (8-0)
No. 4 Southern Methodist University (10-2)
No. 5 Utah State University (7-3)
No. 6 Providence College (13-4)
No. 7 University of New Hampshire Club (10-1)
No. 8 Grand Valley State University Club (11-1)
No. 9 University of Vermont Club (5-3)
No. 10 Oakland University (9-3)
No. 11 California State University San Marcos (11-1)
No. 12 Portland State University (9-2)
KnightsLax407

Re: Nationals List

New postby Ga6A-A2Dad on Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:00 pm

KnightsLax407,

UCF had a solid year and I personally wanted to see an additional SWLL team in the Nationals mix.

My daughter had lots of positive things to say about the UCF coaching staff.

Keep up the good work !
Ga6A-A2Dad

New postby LaxinginNH on Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:56 am

I have to agree. There should be some consideration given to SWLL for two teams. They represent about 20% of the D1 and every year they send just 1 team.
LaxinginNH

New postby DadOfLadyFirebird17 on Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:51 am

Ga6A-A2Dad wrote:KnightsLax407,

UCF had a solid year and I personally wanted to see an additional SWLL team in the Nationals mix.

My daughter had lots of positive things to say about the UCF coaching staff.

Keep up the good work !

I concur with the above. Was present at your victory v Florida. Good solid game until y'all pulled away. Daughter's career ended; but against a better team. Salute!
"Everyone has a plan...until they get punched in the mouth." -Mike Tyson
DadOfLadyFirebird17

New postby Lax&Life on Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:07 am

So I'm a little new to the game - how does National Selection work? Are there 16 conferences and only one from each gets a bid? Does your final win/loss record matter at all?
Lax&Life

New postby HurstLax 39 on Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:42 am

There are 8 regions/conferences and each gets 1 AQ. After those 8 are determined the rankings committee determines the other 8 teams. A team must be ranked in the top 20 to be considered. And they choose based on primary criteria first and then go to secondary criteria as needed.

This is the rankings committee document from 2014 to give you an idea of how it all gets determined. I doubt much has changed about the selection criteria. https://www.uslacrosse.org/sites/defaul ... res-d1.pdf

I thought UCF would have gotten a bid also since they were ranked so highly all year but I guess the committee thought otherwise. Seems to me like them making the championship game should have given them an edge but maybe their strength of schedule hurt them since they didn't play many ranked teams from other conferences.
"Problems worthy of attack prove their worth by hitting back"
HurstLax 39

New postby KnightsLax407 on Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:36 pm

First off thanks for the Love, it's nice to hear that people think we are doing it the right way!

From looking at the at-large criteria for nationals,

We ended up on the outside due to wins against top 10 teams (or lack there of).
Colorado had the head to head win over us (over time loss)
Georgia had a big score differential on us. (+8)
The WWLL finals also threw a monkey wrench in it for us when both St. Mary's and San Diego State both had great upsets on Cal Poly & UCLA . That allowed them to leap frog us (top 10 wins) and there was no way the committee was going to keep UCLA or Cal Poly out for finishing 3rd and 4th respectively in their conference after ranking them so high all year.

The criteria for at large are fair in my opinion if you are looking to have the best "next 8" teams at nationals.

It's just tough to make a schedule to play top 10 teams that doesn't include spending $2500+ per game (once you factor everything in) on Santa Barbara, or playing at a real disadvantage (altitude) in Colorado, especially when you don't see Cali teams coming east very often. Also with the volatility of some of the programs you can schedule them and then they end up not being strong that year so that "big game" doesn't help you at all.

Only thing I'm going to push for is that you have to finish in the top 3 in your conference tournament. Yes that will force some conferences to have 3rd place games but, it's in the national tournaments best interest, in my opinion and a great way to be fair to everyone.

I wish every team that made it the best of luck but I'm hoping the Dawgs go deep into the tournament! 1 because they are in my conference and 2 because they went all over the place and kicked butt! I don't see many teams making the trip to Athen's to face the Dawgs on their home field.
KnightsLax407

New postby Cayuga1 on Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:22 pm

Always a couple head scratchers when you look only at W-L records. I’m not sure I’d want to make these calls! I would love to see an east tournament aka “Santa Barbara east “ and have far West teams come out east to give other teams out here chance to compete with other top teams . Every school in these divisions struggle with what level of travel they can afford to do so may never get the top 20 attention regardless of their ability
Cayuga1

New postby Cayuga1 on Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:37 pm

Just for fun my final four is Pitt vs Michigan(round two) and Georgia vs San Diego State.
Cayuga1

Sponsor

Return to Women's WCLA