Poll ended at Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:56 pm

Jays
68%
Hounds
31%

Total votes : 22

Loyola 12 Hopkins 5 (Final)

New postby molo on Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:30 pm

If these two were playing at the RAC in May, I'd be ordering my ticket now. With projected temps in the 30s, I can probably walk up an hour or so before face-off given the tolerance of today's fans for crisp weather. Loyola lost in double OT to a team that may be excellent or may be pretty good. BJs ran Towson out of Homewood early and held serve in the second half in the cool rain. Spencer may be the best player in the game, but Hopkins has more good players throughout the roster. Rumors of Hopkins' demise--many coming from their ardent fans--are premature. Fans high expectations notwithstanding, this team is good, but don't expect the first quarter drubbing to which they subjected Towson, who was searching for a new offense.
molo

Re: Hopkins at Loyola, 2/17

New postby HopFan16 on Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:55 pm

Where is this game streaming? I don’t see it on the Patriot League Network schedule...
Johns Hopkins University Class of 2013
HopFan16

New postby Cyanocitta Cristata on Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:28 am

Loyola's web site only has a game tracker link - maybe it will be added later.

Just looking at the first game stats of both teams - I think Hunter Moreland's health could be a big factor for Hopkins. If his leg issue at the end of the Towson game was a cramp - as I overheard being discussed - than Hopkins might have an edge at the X. Of course, Orefice scored three times against UVA so that kind of makes up for going 11-28. If Moreland's issue was more serious than that - than that tilts the field even more towards the green side. I think what has to be encouraging for Loyola is that aside from Spencer the attack was quiet against UVA and the midfields produced most of the points despite losing Sherlock and Denis. This will be quite a challenge for the Jay's young defense. Foley must try to limit the damage when Spencer calls his own number and both teams must avoid penalties - I will be interested to see how Toomey handles the Hopkins EMO if necessary. Turnbaugh must play well again - a repeat of his 2016 performance at the RAC would be most welcome (minus one or two turnovers). If Hopkins does start with more possessions and takes relatively good care of the ball this game could be close.
Cyanocitta Cristata

New postby University West on Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:40 am

quote="HopFan16"]Where is this game streaming? I don’t see it on the Patriot League Network schedule...[/quote]

I even signed up for the premium package (free trial... that's where the lax games seem you've available). There are 4 or 5 listed. But not this one. The games at Ridley have always been available somewhere the last few years, so maybe they'll add it. Not filled with optimism though.
University West

New postby HopFan16 on Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:58 pm

Game has been added to PLN schedule: https://watchstadium.com/live/8-johns-h ... -maryland/

Foley vs. Spencer will be the key to this game. Petro, perhaps taking a page out of Belichick's playbook, loves to try to take away the "knowns" and force the opponent's other guys to step up and beat you. A tall task against Pat Spencer. Mentioned this in the Hopkins thread already but I thought we played him well last year and he still managed 5 points. So you're just not going to take him away completely. But Hopkins has to figure out a way to limit his impact on the offense.

Last week for Hop was the first time in a verrrrry long time I can remember them dominated a game when they lost the majority of faceoff draws. I wouldn't expect that to happen twice. The Jays have to do better at the X.

Will be watching online but hoping the Loyola student show up as they usually do even though it's supposed to be cold. Forecast right now calls for about 39-40 degrees, but at least it'll be sunny. Always a fun atmosphere there.
Johns Hopkins University Class of 2013
HopFan16

New postby University West on Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:03 pm

Guess I should have been more optimistic. Great news.

Foley/Spencer and Moreland. Lot easier to limit Spencer if Loyola cant get possessions. Will hope for good health.
University West

New postby thatsmell on Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:48 am

"I never knew no Godfather. I got my own family, Senator."
thatsmell

New postby Tigeralum34 on Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:33 pm

Playing vs Hopkins EMO everyone tries to stretch & chase. Go old school, pack it in, let them take the outside shot ( the backside plays shade man & ball) , keep them honest. If your playing Loyola why are your going to give any cushion to Spencer?? Why? Also, UVA let Spencer get the ball in the closing minutes & the OT!!!! Unreal. Let him work, your not talking Mikey Powell.
Tigeralum34

New postby thatsmell on Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:52 pm

Spencer is that good. And he came from everywhere. behind, up top, the wings...lots of looks. The ball was spread around a lot more than you would think against UVA. Loyola just needs to finish. Too many wasted opportunities last week. If the Loyola team shooting can improve to just 30% they will win a lot of games. If it doesn't, it will be a long day for the Hounds. Loyola needs the attackmen on either side of Spencer (whomever they are) to get their hands ready for the shot. Could there be a Shewell sighting this week? :think: :D
The Fogo isnt regularly getting 3G a game. Loyola has 2 to 3 very good LSMs. They need to exploit that depth and control the center of the field.
"I never knew no Godfather. I got my own family, Senator."
thatsmell

New postby Drcthru on Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:34 pm

"Just" 30% is well above average in D1.
JHU Class of '69
Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom.
George S. Patton
Drcthru

New postby Kramerica.Inc on Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:56 pm

Loyola was at 24.5% shooting against uva. 49 shots. 12 goals. 2 more goals puts them right at 30% and gives them the win.

My college coach used to swear on a weekly basis that to win you had to be very good at two of three things- hit 30% shooting, 55% faceoff, or 90% clearing.

My guess is when the season is over, those numbers for each probably put you in the top 20 teams in D1 for each category.

He also used to talk about 30 gbs a game too...

:think:
Kramerica Inc.
Kramerica.Inc

New postby Tigeralum34 on Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:23 pm

I agree Spencer is that good, Im talking quickness. Why not get in his face & cut him off. Or, when he gets to GLE - Sluff.
Tigeralum34

New postby molo on Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:02 am

The bad news is that it is going to be cold. The good news is that the threat of precip has been moved back a few hours.
molo

New postby wgdsr on Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:18 pm

Tigeralum34 wrote:I agree Spencer is that good, Im talking quickness. Why not get in his face & cut him off. Or, when he gets to GLE - Sluff.

you have 3 choices:
-stay home and allow him room to operate. good luck.
-shut him off and open the field for everybody. (he will find ways to free up himself or others anyway -- backing up shots, restarts, picks, popouts)
-run at him hard enough to decrease his sog.

there are problems with every approach. sluffing (to gle anyway, adjacent) isn't going to work. his best attribute is he finds the open guy AND he finds him early. the wing will have an unencumbered look (e.g. vs uva). slide crease and he'll beat your 2 slide inside or if it's covered he'll find opposite with a thru pass or over. again, early.

that last bit is your best chance, imo. make it the longest pass, the longest shot, a chance to recover back outside. mix in some shutoff here and there to frustrate him and disrupt the o's rhythm.
wgdsr

New postby molo on Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:13 am

Right now it's sunny and just below freezing about four miles north of the RAC. Now they are calling for clear and just above freezing for face-off with the possibility of snow or rain by 2. It doesn't get worse than cold rain. Let's hope that the precip holds off or that it is snow, not rain.
Face-offs should be interesting. Loyola didn't win that many last week but they scored three goals off face-offs. Moreland did fairly well against one of the better FOGOs in the country.
molo

New postby SteelHop2 on Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:32 pm

How does one tell PLN their audio feed blows.

I should have been quiet, now the entire feed is stuck.
SteelHop2

New postby phjhu89 on Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:35 pm

As does their video feed, apparently.
phjhu89

New postby lakeshow2014 on Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:35 pm

...and video, too!

EDIT: beat me to it :doh:
lakeshow2014

New postby seacoaster on Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:37 pm