Changes at LaxPower as the 2018 Season Approaches

For those wishing to conduct game-specific discussions

Re: Changes at LaxPower as the 2018 Season Approaches

New postby Matnum PI on Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:35 pm

PS First NCAA game is on Thursday. Furman vs. UVM.
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
Matnum PI

New postby youenjoymyself on Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:55 pm

And Texas HS has already started. Last year Florida started on 2/6. Those schedules aren't just going to enter themselves, not when they can't even figure out how to reset the database for 2018. Scheduling normally starts in November for a reason.
youenjoymyself

New postby dislaxxic on Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:57 am

Preaching to the choir YEM...

Anybody know an email or emails we could use to start bombarding Active with (angry) inquiring messages?

"The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog." - Calvin, to Hobbes
dislaxxic

New postby Matnum PI on Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:46 pm

I have an e-mail address for the administrators in Southeast Asia but e-mailing them will make as much of a difference as yelling at the woman behind the counter at Hertz because you want to change the body design for the 2019 Honda Odyssey. Unless you're selling dimes for a nickel, the people that matter are not interested.
Caddy Day
Matnum PI

New postby dislaxxic on Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:34 pm

Understood...also had some input from the back-channel and it doesn't look too good around here. I need to check my emails and pack my bags, i think...

"The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog." - Calvin, to Hobbes
dislaxxic

New postby petrosscowl on Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:50 pm

Little late to the thread here, but looks like Active Network rolls up to Global Payments, Inc., which is an S&P 500 component.

It also looks like issues with auto-enrollment and subscription fees are nothing new:

"In 2016, Active Network faced a class action lawsuit for automatically enrolling participants in an annual memberships without adequate disclosure. Then company settled the southern California lawsuit for $2.7 million, legal fees and agreed to issue refunds."
petrosscowl

New postby justlaxinTXstyle on Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:58 pm

youenjoymyself wrote:States that rely on LaxPower for standings/seedings really ought to start looking elsewhere for a solution.

Where elsewhere is there a solution?
Any other site at the moment that is around?
justlaxinTXstyle

New postby Matnum PI on Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:48 pm

Tex, without LaxPower, there's a vacuum. Keep in mind, last year there were more than 4,033 teams. To get every single one of these teams to use this one resource, type in their schedule, type their game scores, etc., and then create a formula to spit out a reasonable ranking order that each of these teams don't squabble over, this is no small feat. Tracking NCAA D1 lacrosse is easy. D3, similar. HS lacrosse, that's a beast. ACTIVE is throwing away a difficult asset to create.
Caddy Day
Matnum PI

New postby Matnum PI on Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:54 pm

petrosscowl wrote:In 2016, Active Network faced a class action lawsuit for automatically enrolling participants in an annual memberships without adequate disclosure. Then company settled the southern California lawsuit for $2.7 million, legal fees and agreed to issue refunds.[13]"

$2.7M. Amazing.

Personally, I'm of the belief that the less attention we get, the better. LaxPower's website or, more accurately, the functionality on the website, is going to die. But as long as they don't flick the switch, we'll still have the forum. LaxPower is not and will not be a money maker for ACTIVE. At least not the kind of money they're used to. And that's all they care about. I think any attention we draw will only result in negative consequences. In other words, unless you're contacting ACTIVE to explain how managing LaxPower will result in their making millions, I wouldn't contact them. My ten cents (which is worth no more or less than anyone else's ten cents).
Caddy Day
Matnum PI

New postby Lax Veritas on Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:35 pm

from Twitter today

czisny‏ @HannyAC3 9h hours ago

@active When will LaxPower Be updated with information for the new Lacrosse season that starts today? It’s still reflecting all 2017 information. Is Lax Power still being supported?
1 reply 0 retweets 0 likes
Active.com‏Verified account @active
Replying to @HannyAC3

Hi! Thank you for reaching out! We no longer provide support for the product, you will want to reach out to their support team at: http://get.active/2DQbGSG

The link takes you to the email form here that Matnum has already used
http://www.laxpower.com/common/EmailForm.php

Somebody should clue in the folks at the Active twitter account or the folks at the email form that the parent company is telling people LaxPower is no longer supported (which, of course, all of us here already know this!)

Brilliant
"If you can't afford a NO answer -
Don't Ask!"
Lax Veritas

New postby Brooklyn on Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:41 am

hopefully someone will start a WC thread listing online collegiate lax game schedules on a daily basis
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

~ Charles Francis "Socker" Coe ~
Brooklyn

New postby gLax on Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:55 am

The Men's and Women's 2018 season are up and running. The Furman v. Vermont game is posted on the men's side.

Together, the boys' & girls' sides have approximately 20,000 scheduled games formatted and ready for upload. Boys' & Girls' should be up & running shortly as well.

Sorry for the delay.
Last edited by gLax on Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
gLax

New postby Brooklyn on Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:02 am

Awesome!
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

~ Charles Francis "Socker" Coe ~
Brooklyn

New postby Matnum PI on Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:12 pm

gLax, first, kudos. Thank you. Having the schedules (as LaxPower formats the schedules) is a good thing. Especially for HS Lacrosse. Also looks like the Game Score functionality on the home page is working. What about: News? I assume still no new Forum registrations? or maybe sporadic? Men's Recruits? Job Listings?

I assume ACTIVE will remove News (as they don't appear to be providing news) from the App's homepage and then LaxPower is an App... which also happens to have a website. Game schedules, game scores, and a forum. And then rankings... which you need to pay for. alright...
Caddy Day
Matnum PI

New postby gLax on Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:07 pm

That's a pretty good summary Matnum PI. I believe the site is moving towards a ratings service (mirroring the app) more than a media service as it has been for the past 20 years under Dan's direction.

Larry's Power Ratings is our core product which many to most regions use in some way to seed their post-season tournaments. We're pretty proud of that.

The other "hook" we have is our Ratings Detail page accessible on every LaxPower team page where fans, parents, coaches & players can measure their past game performance by comparing the predicted vs actual goal differentials. That's probably bigger than the Power Ratings because every team has a vested interest in their own performance review whereas only the top teams are primarily interested in the overall Power Ratings.

I also think that the website will eventually continue to include the Forum along with Men's & Women's recruits.

Outside of Boys Lacrosse, I'm not an employee nor a spokesperson for Active so these are just my musings.
gLax

New postby Lax Veritas on Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:19 pm

The other "hook" we have is our Ratings Detail page accessible on every LaxPower team page where fans, parents, coaches & players can measure their past game performance by comparing the predicted vs actual goal differentials. That's probably bigger than the Power Ratings because every team has a vested interest in their own performance review whereas only the top teams are primarily interested in the overall Power Ratings.

The "hook" costs you $10 to see that data, doesn't it? Otherwise, you don't get to see that data
Don't Ask!"
Lax Veritas

New postby gLax on Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:32 pm

segue alert:

Laxpower's premium features are now available on the website, too! Download the app and upgrade to premium for $3.99/month or $9.99/year to unlock access on the mobile and desktop.
gLax

New postby Lax Veritas on Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:06 pm

Premium features (like the 2018 season ratings/scores/schedules) don't appear to be available on the mobile app currently for ANY group - men, women or HS. Are you telling people to sign up for the mobile app anyway just to get the desktop version? and the desktop version was just updated and is now incomplete and missing all scores from early-mid June including multiple playoff and championships games for both boys and girls.

You seem to be putting lipstick on a pig, no?
Don't Ask!"
Lax Veritas

New postby gLax on Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:27 pm

Everyone will have to decide that for themselves. I just like the using the word "segue".

I do think there is more interest in the website access than the app itself. Personally, I prefer to look at more data on a bigger screen.
gLax

New postby thatsmell on Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:40 pm

The new forum registrations on the desktop have been all but shut off due to Russian/Korean spammers. It used to be controlled by Admins. So Active needs to provide their own Admin or designate someone to do it from time to time.
"I never knew no Godfather. I got my own family, Senator."
thatsmell

Sponsor

PreviousNext

Return to MD1 Game Talk