12%
WeAre much more than WeWantMore
4%
Doesn’t matter ... anyone but Maryland
8%

Total votes : 25

Penn State 14, Johns Hopkins 12 (Final)

New postby DocBarrister on Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:08 am

Blue Jays bring the longest active winning streak to Happy Valley at ... wait for it ... 2 pm!

I expect a close one.

Can the Hopkins D play more consistently?

Who will take faceoffs for Penn State?

Kneese vs. Turnbaugh, who will come up with the big saves?

DocBarrister 8)
Last edited by DocBarrister on Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Johns Hopkins 13, Maryland 10
Johns Hopkins Big Ten Champions
Twitter: @DocBarrister
DocBarrister

Re: Johns Hopkins @ Penn State April 14 at 2 pm ET

New postby HopFan16 on Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:13 pm

The weather should reward those who make the trek out to central PA: 70 degrees and sunny at gametime.

Obviously one big question here is Arceri's health. I expect a good game whether he goes or not, but his presence on the field could change things considerably.

The analytics suggest that these are two very evenly matched teams. Good, efficient offenses with good faceoff play (though Hop's has been substandard as of late) with decent but inconsistent defenses. Having watched Penn State this year I've actually been pretty impressed by their defense and especially goaltender Colby Kneese. That may be their biggest advantage on Saturday. Turnbaugh for Hop needs to find a way to match his counterpart on the other end.

Assuming Sabia covers PSU's opponent's biggest weapon, will he shadow Stanwick or Williams? I wasn't watching the Maryland game close enough—did he draw the Bernhardt assignment or did he extend out to take on Kelly up top?
Johns Hopkins University Class of 2013
HopFan16

New postby SteelHop2 on Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:25 am

as I said in the season thread, face-offs will be key. Does anyone know if Arceri is playing? That will help a little because right now, Hopkins is struggling on face-offs.
SteelHop2

New postby Cyanocitta Cristata on Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:52 am

SteelHop2 wrote:as I said in the season thread, face-offs will be key. Does anyone know if Arceri is playing? That will help a little because right now, Hopkins is struggling on face-offs.

Certainly a very closely guarded secret - no news reports, no twitter nuggets etc. - at least not yet. Obviously, Penn State wants Hopkins to prepare for him regardless. After watching the replay, I think it might have been more serious than a rolled up ankle. I hate kids being injured so I hope he is OK. And if you are incapable of beating Penn State with him than you don't belong. At the same time, you can't feel sorry for them - if you can exploit a face-off advantage - pedal to the floor. Possessions is of course the key to everything - if Hopkins starts with the same or more and takes relatively good care of the ball and Turnbaugh can do his part - I think the game will be close and the Jays will have a chance. If Arceri gives the Nittany Lions a 70/30 start, Kneese outplays Turnbaugh by a margin of size and turnovers are roughly the same - Penn State will win. One key - which I don't think Hopkins has handled that well lately - is marking O'Keefe. #3 in White is a master of sliding to little open spaces and he has as lethal a shot as any. The defender assigned to him has to do a Watson/Zerrlaut impersonation of guarding Zach Greer - NEVER let him get his hands free.
Cyanocitta Cristata

New postby arealax on Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:58 pm

When they showed Arceri on trainers table he was lying on his stomach. Which make me think it more of a muscle or tendon injury. It will be interesting to see if he plays.
Be The Best! #Beardmore Stadium
arealax

New postby Cyanocitta Cristata on Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:33 pm

arealax wrote:When they showed Arceri on trainers table he was lying on his stomach. Which make me think it more of a muscle or tendon injury. It will be interesting to see if he plays.

Both team's game notes are up - Arceri is listed as a probable starter in Penn State's. Of course, Hopkins' notes lists Tal Bruno in the Tentative Line-up as well so that may not necessarily mean anything at all. As an aside, if Hopkins makes it to the week-end of the 12th/13th I wonder if Bruno will be able to play - that will be six weeks from the injury and he will have the freshest of legs.
Cyanocitta Cristata

New postby Cyanocitta Cristata on Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:46 pm

http://www.collegian.psu.edu/sports/men ... b44f0.html

A somewhat misleading headlines that starts off saying Penn State expects Arceri to play but then within the article Tambroni says he "doesn't even know" and the gist of the article is around Glatz. I didn't realize Glatz went to Boys Latin.
Cyanocitta Cristata

New postby Hop56 on Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:09 pm

arealax wrote:When they showed Arceri on trainers table he was lying on his stomach. Which make me think it more of a muscle or tendon injury. It will be interesting to see if he plays.

When it happened I said knee and then when they showed him on the table I figured hamstring. He may play but I question how effective he will be facing off if it’s hamstring injury. Would be putting a lot of pressure on that injury.
Hop56

New postby DocBarrister on Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:22 pm

“Defense is struggling early.”

*This is a recording.*

DocBarrister :roll:
DocBarrister

New postby SteelHop2 on Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:05 pm

2017 Hopkins shows up. Can't win a face off and plays garbage defense and BT has let a couple in he shouldnt.

Also Shack out. No word on injury. Rapine pulled for doing some of the dumbest double teams i have every seen.
SteelHop2

New postby DocBarrister on Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:13 pm

Yes, Hopkins played way too much defense in the first half, but that doesn’t explain all the defensive breakdowns leading to slam dunks. Or two blown clears. We all knew the offense and face off crew were helping to mask weaknesses on D.

Good news is that the offense has been productive with limited possessions. And the Blue Jays made face offs more competitive late in the second quarter.

Hopkins will need to win more of those 50-50 gbs in the second half. Still a chance to win this one.

DocBarrister 8)
DocBarrister

New postby DocBarrister on Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:45 pm

A lot of hard work in the third quarter undone by two bad turnovers on offense.

Blue Jays keep working hard, and the Nittany Lions are playing well. Not over yet.

DocBarrister 8)
DocBarrister

New postby DocBarrister on Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:07 pm

14–12 late. Difference is four bad turnovers by Hopkins, two on clears. Kneese and Turnbaugh hot now.

DocBarrister
DocBarrister

Re: Penn State 14, Johns Hopkins 12 (Final)

New postby DocBarrister on Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:16 pm

Great games by Arceri, Kneese, and O’Keefe.

Good effort by the Blue Jays to come back and make a game of it, but they just made too many mistakes in this game. Untimely turnovers and very inconsistent play on defense. Just some very bad mental mistakes by Hopkins.

Hope Shack is ok.

DocBarrister :neutral:
DocBarrister

New postby SteelHop2 on Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:25 pm

The game was lost in 1st half when Petro just decided to panic and grab bag the face off.

BT had a terrible game. The Macavoy goal was completely unacceptable.
SteelHop2

New postby Hop56 on Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:29 pm

SteelHop2 wrote:The game was lost in 1st half when Petro just decided to panic and grab bag the face off.

Let your senior work it out. Moreland is more than capable of figuring a guy out but he cant on a short leash. Maybe give Prouty one to talk it over on the sideline but get him back in there. He’s more than earned that right.
Hop56

New postby DocBarrister on Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:50 pm

Petro did the right thing on faceoffs. He needed to make each faceoff a gb scrum and wear down Arceri by using multiple guys at the x. It actually worked.

Turnbaugh did not have a bad game. His defense didn’t have their heads in the game until the second half. Brock got dunked on time after time in the first half.

DocBarrister :|
DocBarrister

New postby HopFan16 on Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:57 pm

DocBarrister wrote:Petro did the right thing on faceoffs. He needed to make each faceoff a gb scrum and wear down Arceri by using multiple guys at the x. It actually worked.

Turnbaugh did not have a bad game. His defense didn’t have their heads in the game until the second half. Brock got dunked on time after time in the first half.

DocBarrister :|

BT didn't have a bad game but that one by their backup FOGO from an impossible angle with no time left has to be saved. That was a backbreaker. Save that, a couple bounces go our way, and it's a different game (Moreland inexplicably standing in the crease on Forry's goal hurt too). But congrats to PSU on a well-deserved in and their first ever against the Jays. We may be seeing them again this year.
Johns Hopkins University Class of 2013
HopFan16

New postby SteelHop2 on Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:02 pm

Sorry. You are wrong. The 4th PSU goal by O'keefe has to be saved. 16-17 yards out stick side with no one in your way is saved by good goalies. The last second 3rd period goal by the back up fogo that was 8-9 yards out and short side with no zip on it has to be a save. It was completely unacceptable to give that goal up. There is no question. Did the defense hang him out to dry a couple of times. Sure. But he created his own problems by just throwing the ball down the field on the man down that led to a PSU goal. He had slow decisions on clears. He had a bad game.

The defense is falling apart again. Seems like a continual story the last 5 years. 5 straight games giving up 10+ goals. Good teams and good defenses dont do that.
SteelHop2

New postby Cyanocitta Cristata on Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:10 am

Agree with Steelhop here - as I said in the Hopkins thread the Penn State 4th, 9th and 13 goals are ones you either have to have as a goalie or at least look better. Still - allowing even for that - that leaves 11 on the table where he virtually had no chance or just would have had to make an unbelievable save. The 2 goals from Turnbaugh's right - 6th and 10th I believe - both even strength and one with a timer on were just head scratchers. On the turnover that allowed Penn State to get the ball back when Hopkins was man down - they had been successful twice in the past sneaking a long pass up to Lynch in that situation - good preparation by Penn State.

Might have liked Reinson to try the long pole bouncer when no one picked him up but at least he didn't make a critical mistake.
Cyanocitta Cristata

Sponsor

Next

Return to MD1 Game Talk