The Rivalry - Terps 8, Jays 7 (Final 3OT)

For those wishing to conduct game-specific discussions

Re: The Rivalry - Terps @ Jays 4/28

New postby jhu06 on Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:11 pm

arealax wrote:
Cooter wrote:Looks like a Blue Jay homer broadcast with QK and Zimmerman as analysts.
Maybe I should turn off the sound.

Quint asked to do that game. He was not assigned that game. Really think ESPN should pick broadcasters who did not play at the schools playing.

This is utterly ridiculous, 2/3 of espn went to Syracuse, Mizzou or Northwestern and the other 1/3 seems to have graduated from schools in the nj/ny/ct/pa area. Game delivered everything the sport asked of it. The ESPN folks need better prep before the game about the current play of the programs and then to better analyze what's going on during the game-they tend to develop nuggets during the offseason and then pound them down your throat (yes we understand Shack is from a lax family Quint and that Connor kelly is VERY good and Trevor Baptiste is a GAME CHANGER). Quint I get, he's spread very thin with all the games he does, but carc who used to be great, offers very little new information about the teams in the game or what's going on play to play. The other issue I have is that the lacrosse community is very very small and the broadcasters aside from Ryan Boyle who offers a lot, seem afraid to offer critical in game analysis. You can feel them holding back.

Either way, a great effort, turnout and lead in to a great month.
jhu06

Re: The Rivalry - Terps @ Jays 4/28

New postby Cooter on Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:47 pm

arealax wrote:
Cooter wrote:Looks like a Blue Jay homer broadcast with QK and Zimmerman as analysts.

Quint asked to do that game. He was not assigned that game. Really think ESPN should pick broadcasters who did not play at the schools playing.

Agreed.
Although, Quint really seems to have a bias against the Terps. I am not sure that Dixon would be that bad.
Terps 2017 NCAA Champs! Current owners of the longest D1 NCAA tmt. streak.
Cooter

Re: The Rivalry - Terps 8, Jays 7 (Final 3OT)

New postby Especially Heinous on Mon Apr 30, 2018 5:04 pm

Cooter wrote:
arealax wrote:

Agreed.
Although, Quint really seems to have a bias against the Terps. I am not sure that Dixon would be that bad.

I actually disagree I don't see that QK has a bias against Maryland I think he typically speaks highly of them. It seems fans of all the major programs like to complain about him but I think he does a good job with both complementing yet giving insightful critique when appropriate.
Especially Heinous

New postby Cooter on Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:40 pm

Especially Heinous wrote:I actually disagree I don't see that QK has a bias against Maryland .

Sorry but you're wrong. He likes to snipe at Maryland. He is very quick to notice little flaws in Maryland and make them out to be major. He is slow to notice positive things about Maryland.

In the end, Maryland won the title last year, so to be totally negative towards them would only make him seem more like an idiot.
Terps 2017 NCAA Champs! Current owners of the longest D1 NCAA tmt. streak.
Cooter

New postby Cyanocitta Cristata on Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:23 pm

In some ways a little thing to discuss but it is interesting that a whole boatload of Jays fans think QK takes way more snipes at Hopkins than any other team. He loved using the term "soft" for several years to describe the Hopkins defense. Don't get me wrong - in some years deserved. I distinctly remember a comment he made on one broadcast when he said something to the effect of "People mistake being an alumnus for being a fan" (That is a paraphrase but I believe it to be rather close/fair to what he said). And this is just me - no inside info whatsoever - but I have a perception Quint and Petro are never sitting down at Sammy's together sharing the Chicken Calabrese. I listen to the vast majority of games (usually on replay) that he calls when Hopkins plays and I can't remember a single time he recounted an anecdote about Petro or the games despite the fact they played and won a NC together or the famous '89 Championship loss. Maybe I am just not paying attention but he is very antiseptic IMO whenever discussing Petro. It's probable that he does not want to be perceived as biased and as simple as that.
Cyanocitta Cristata

Sponsor

Previous

Return to MD1 Game Talk