Cavs 11, Cuse 10 (Final)

For those wishing to conduct game-specific discussions

Cavs 11, Cuse 10 (Final)

New postby tech37 on Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:56 am

Needless to say, hopefully the SU players have put the Navy debacle behind them. 4-0 in ACC and #1 seed with a big target on their back... how they respond is anyone's guess. This could be a blow out if Cuse isn't careful...Cavs certainly capable. If SU plays loose and smart, they win this. Defense must show up!

If they win at least one game they will be safe to make the Tourney, but losing to Cavs could put them bubble out.

UVa coming off a tight (someone said "uninspired") win over Vermont...playing home with pay back in mind... you have to give edge to Cavs.

Go Cuse!
tech37

Re: Cuse vs Cavs 4/27 @ 8:30PM @ Klockner Stadium

New postby dmaclaxnut11 on Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:03 am

Pretty tough spot if you're a Cuse fan, tech. Given the history, why would one expect anything other than a one goal game? It's UVA's turn to win too....and played at Klockner. Sure feels a little shaky karmawise. Boys gotta show up for this one big time.
dmaclaxnut11

New postby MM11 on Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:25 pm

This one is a toss up to me. Part says Cuse and part of me says UVA. Should be a good one.
MM11

New postby Cooter on Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:29 pm

I caught the end of the Vermont-UVa game last week. UVa was going with a 10 man ride. Vermont d-men launched 3 long shots at the goal, but they did not go in and on two of them UVa beat Vermont to the end line - so they were like TOs. Virginia also seemed to get a turnover on another clear when Vermont did clear the ball on time. These losses of possession for Vermont were pretty key in UVa's winning.

A couple of Vermont's shots were from behind the far end restraining line, which is a pretty long shot, and probably unlikely to succeed.

So it will be interesting to see how Syracuse handles a 10-man ride, and if Syracuse takes the chance on long shots will they be a little luckier than Vermont (and will they back them up better).
Terps 2017 NCAA Champs! Current owners of the longest D1 NCAA tmt. streak.
Cooter

New postby tech37 on Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:27 pm

"So it will be interesting to see how Syracuse handles a 10-man ride"

Well, if the Navy game is any indication :doh:
tech37

New postby 44WeWantMore on Fri Apr 27, 2018 4:12 pm

Cooter wrote:I caught the end of the Vermont-UVa game last week. UVa was going with a 10 man ride. Vermont d-men launched 3 long shots at the goal, but they did not go in and on two of them UVa beat Vermont to the end line - so they were like TOs. Virginia also seemed to get a turnover on another clear when Vermont did clear the ball on time. These losses of possession for Vermont were pretty key in UVa's winning.

A couple of Vermont's shots were from behind the far end restraining line, which is a pretty long shot, and probably unlikely to succeed.

So it will be interesting to see how Syracuse handles a 10-man ride, and if Syracuse takes the chance on long shots will they be a little luckier than Vermont (and will they back them up better).

Wasn't there a game this year where one of those long shots in the teeth of a 10-man ride was called a pass OOB (and that was to an empty net)?
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
44WeWantMore

New postby Cooter on Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:00 pm

QK seems to be a Virginia homer tonight.
Cooter

New postby a fan on Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:46 pm

tech37 wrote:
"So it will be interesting to see how Syracuse handles a 10-man ride"

Well, if the Navy game is any indication :doh:

I don't get this. It's 2018. Clearing is the easiest thing in the world now that there aren't horns.

You pass the doggone ball to the kid furthest upfield on the opposite side of the field of the box. The defensive team's players are busy making their longest sprint of the game......running to the sub box to get off the field like the antidote is waiting for them.

This kid with the ball, pole or no, sprints straight ahead, with no one in his way, and drops the thing to an attackman.

That's it. Uncluttered. Uncomplicated. And yet goalies STILL pull the doggone ball out, and drop it to the defender on the left of GLE like it's 1985. And then act confused when clearing is more difficult. Drives me nuts.
a fan

New postby HOOfan_1 on Sat Apr 28, 2018 1:01 am

44WeWantMore wrote:
Cooter wrote:I caught the end of the Vermont-UVa game last week. UVa was going with a 10 man ride. Vermont d-men launched 3 long shots at the goal, but they did not go in and on two of them UVa beat Vermont to the end line - so they were like TOs. Virginia also seemed to get a turnover on another clear when Vermont did clear the ball on time. These losses of possession for Vermont were pretty key in UVa's winning.

Wasn't there a game this year where one of those long shots in the teeth of a 10-man ride was called a pass OOB (and that was to an empty net)?

Yes. UVA vs UNC. Called a long shot by a UVA pole a pass. Just another example of uneven officiating.

I say that any shot not taken inside the restraining box that goes out of bounds automatically goes to the defense. Take the discretion of the refs out of it. While we're at it. a 2 minute shot clock that starts as soon as the offense touches the ball in the box. Take the discretion of stall warnings away from them too.
HOOfan_1

New postby dmaclaxnut11 on Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:24 am

Cooter wrote:QK seems to be a Virginia homer tonight.

Probably not as much Va homer as Cuse criticiser....both he and Anish aren't real positive when Cuse is the subject.

The gods have got this match up programmed.....one for us, one for them, one for us, one for them, one for us, one for them...and don't get greedy, when it's your turn to win you win by one. What are the odds that this series can be as close as it is in Ws and number of goals scored....just crazy.

If I'm an 18 yr old lax stud I wanna play for Tiffany (I'm okay with Marr too), love the way he lets his boys play. Not over coached, ballz to the wall, fast paced lacrosse. The way it should be played, IMO. Was VERY surprised at around the 5 min mark with a two goal lead that he slowed his boys down, figured for sure Cuse was in big trouble cuz Tiffany is going to keep attacking. It's not wise to slow the game down vs Cuse (really, anyone in my book) with minutes left and a couple goal lead. Va got away with it last night, but by the skin of their teeth. Two pipe shots by Dordevic, both hit the bottom half of the top pipe....those are about a half an inch from going in. If a couple of other shots are on cage (the over over the shoulder blind shot) they go in too.

Well done,Hoos, another great and exciting Cuse-Va game, congrats, will be pulling for you in the next one.
dmaclaxnut11

Re: Cavs 11, Cuse 10 (Final)

New postby Cooter on Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:30 am

QK was being pretty superlative towards Virginia in my opinion.

Not a large attendance (2615), although the ACC tmt has never been hugely attended. It's is tough for DC-Baltimore area to get down the C-ville through the rush hour traffic, and I imagine a number of such fans chose to watch it on TV.

To answer the announcer's question: I think I would probably take Fields, Reeves, Spencer, and Guterding over Kraus.
Cooter

New postby MM11 on Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:11 am

I was surprised re: the attendance. The stands looked sparse.
MM11

New postby HOOfan_1 on Sat Apr 28, 2018 3:45 pm

there were a few thousand people at the baseball game too. parking lots were completely full
HOOfan_1

New postby johnnyonthegunpowder on Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:17 pm

This game was a lacrosse game. Rooting for this UVA team big time. Happy to see Solomon handled a few times and ND take out Duke. Great ACC championship. The right time.
johnnyonthegunpowder

New postby Stonegate on Sun Apr 29, 2018 6:01 am

An avid hoos fan, but expected cuse to rebound after last week vs navy. :) took a header into the gunpowder while fishing for sunfish as an 8 yr old Cub Scout. Cuse did the same.
Stonegate

Sponsor

Return to MD1 Game Talk