ACC Championship: ND 17, UVA 7 (Final)

For those wishing to conduct game-specific discussions

ACC Championship: ND 17, UVA 7 (Final)

New postby molo on Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:36 am

UVA has not only won an ACC game this year, but they are also playing for the league championship at Klockner, where they don’t often lose. Have the Irish found enough offense to exploit the hosts’ shaky offball d? ND features solid team d led by the likely first team AA and a former UVA dm. If UVA can get a big offensive game out of someone other than Kraus or Aitken, they are in good shape. A hot young goalie or a big game facing off could be the difference.
With first round loser Duke a lock for the NCAAT, does today’s loser make the tournament?
molo

Re: ACC Championship, ND at UVA

New postby Cooter on Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:09 am

I don't know that UVa has been that dominant at home this year, didn't they lose to JHU, Syracuse, and Duke at home? But your point is well taken that UVa has the homefield edge, and in this case is also able to spend the whole weekend at home. ND did get a couple hours extra rest on Friday night for what ever it is worth.

Notre Dame has a bit of an edge on the senior leadership on the offense with Byrne, Wynn and Collins being seniors. Notre Dame won the first meeting out in South Bend 9-7. Both teams have freshmen in goal: Rode for UVa and Schmidt for ND. Both teams have an outstanding atheletic midfielder: Aiken for UVa and Costabile for ND. Both teams have excellent LSMs to handle them: Connors for UVa and Sexton for ND. Both teams have a couple of other outstanding creators on offense to go with them: Krauss and Moore on UVa vs Garnsey and Gleason on ND. Both have a nice groups of offensive players to fill out the offense. ND's overall defense is pretty strong and Virginia's defense looked pretty good Friday night. Virginia likes to play fast but has looked a little slower recently, ND likes to play slow but scored 14 on Friday. FOs: Travisano .578 for ND, Schwenk .602 for UVa.

My prediction is warm weather brings out more goals than the first meeting:
ND 14 UVa 13

All ACC team
2018 All-ACC Men’s Lacrosse Team
A - Justin Guterding, Sr., Duke
A - Chris Cloutier, Sr., North Carolina
A - Brendan Gleason, Jr., Notre Dame
A - Nate Solomon, Jr., Syracuse
A - Michael Kraus, So., Virginia
M - Brad Smith, Jr., Duke
M - Bryan Costabile, So., Notre Dame
M - Jamie Trimboli, So., Syracuse
M - Dox Aitken, So., Virginia
D - Cade Van Raaphorst, Jr., Duke
D - Nick Mellen, R-So., Syracuse
D - Brett Kennedy, R-Fr., Syracuse
SSM - Carlson Milikin, GS, Notre Dame
SSM - Drew Schantz, Jr., Notre Dame
LSM - Jack Rowlett, Jr., North Carolina
LSM - John Sexton, Sr., Notre Dame
F/O - Joe Stein, Fr., Duke
G - Danny Fowler, GS, Duke
http://theacc.com/news/2018/4/26/2018-a ... unced.aspx
Terps 2017 NCAA Champs! Current owners of the longest D1 NCAA tmt. streak.
Cooter

Re: ACC Championship, ND at UVA

New postby bjred712 on Sun Apr 29, 2018 1:42 pm

Virginia frustrations getting the better of them? Not making smart decisions to try and mount a comeback.
bjred712

Re: ACC Championship: ND 17, UVA 7 (Final)

New postby Cooter on Sun Apr 29, 2018 3:59 pm

The warmer weather seemed to bring quite a few more goals for Notre Dame, but the same for UVa.

Aiken really couldn't get going against Sexton and ND's defense.
Notre Dame really looked like a final four type team this weekend in C-ville.

I guess UVa fans can take solace in at least making the ACC tmt this year, and even winning a game in it.
Cooter

New postby MM11 on Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:44 pm

I kept waiting for UVA to mount a come back....but then they throw the ball away or it gets checked out of their sticks.
I agree ND looked like a final four team.
MM11

New postby MrLax2U on Mon Apr 30, 2018 2:27 pm

Greetings Cooter, ND had 23 TOs in the ACC final; hard to imagine a final four run with those numbers. By contrast UMd/JHU had 7 TOs each in their hard fought contest. In fact with a total 48 TOs the ACC final looked more like a D III game.

I also noticed Dox Aitken put a vicious high hit on a teammate. If it had been a Domer, he would have gotten 2 minutes unreleasable. I don't think he was aiming for his guy so I wonder why the ref didn't penalize him? If he had seen an opportunity to take a wild punch at Coach Corrigan and cracked Coach Tiffany by mistake, would everyone have just shrugged it off?
MrLax2U

New postby Cooter on Mon Apr 30, 2018 3:02 pm

MrLax2U wrote:

Greetings Cooter, ND had 23 TOs in the ACC final; hard to imagine a final four run with those numbers. By contrast UMd/JHU had 7 TOs each in their hard fought contest. In fact with a total 48 TOs the ACC final looked more like a D III game.

That is the sort of game UVa likes to play. 8 of ND's turnovers were in the 4th quarter, after the game was pretty well decided.
How many turnovers did Notre Dame make against Duke? (7)

What were UMd's and JHU's shooting percentages in their game? (Not very good, not final four like)
What was Notre Dame's shooting percentage against Duke and Virginia? (Pretty good)
Cooter

New postby MrLax2U on Wed May 02, 2018 9:05 am

Greetings Cooter,
Last night I streamed CNU – Salisbury both top 20 D III teams. CNU is coached by Mikey Thompson who played at UVA and then helped coach the 2011 NC team. CNU’s defense flowed seamlessly among man to man; push out man to man; zone and a 10 man ride. Coach Thompson must have learned from watching Malphrus in 2011 when he took control of the Wahoo defense and lead the team to their last title. Salisbury is coached by Jim Berkman who generally fields a well-coached team but has no D I experience. Neither team has any players who would have been recruited by UVA or ND.

I mention this b/c collectively the two teams had 25 TOs; equal to what UVA had in the ACC final.
MrLax2U

Sponsor

Return to MD1 Game Talk