Poll ended at Sun May 20, 2018 12:03 pm

Yale
48%
Loyola
51%

Total votes : 39

QUARTERFINALS: Yale 8, Loyola 5 (Final)

New postby thatsmell on Mon May 14, 2018 11:18 am

A rematch of the 1990 Semifinals at Rutgers.
This is just the 7th trip to the NCAAs for Yale since 1971.
Expect to see lots of clips of Jon Reese and Charley Toomey between restarts.

:clap:

Should be a great game with two of the nation's best attackmen- Reeves and Spencer.
Who advances?
"I never knew no Godfather. I got my own family, Senator."
thatsmell

Re: QUARTERFINALS: Loyola v Yale - Saturday 5/19 @ Noon

New postby calourie on Mon May 14, 2018 12:44 pm

Actually Yale's 9th trip to the NCAAs, but who's counting other than me. I like this matchup as I mention on the Yale thread. A nice contrast in styles, Loyola more polished, Yale bigger and more physical. FOs could end up being a focus along those lines. Spencer and Reeves in the same game should be a treat. Yale has never beaten Loyola in their 3 game history.
Last edited by calourie on Wed May 16, 2018 7:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
calourie

New postby thatsmell on Mon May 14, 2018 1:09 pm

Sorry for the error. Someone update the Yale Lax Wiki page!
Will also be a treat to see Spencer and Fake.
thatsmell

New postby FannOLax on Mon May 14, 2018 1:16 pm

A terrific match-up, plain and simple. While it would be easy to focus on Reeves and Spencer, I'd mention that Yale's last two wins have featured 7-goal performances by Yale's "other attackmen" (Morrill v UMass and Gaudet v Penn). Let's hope that this game lives up to its potential.
FannOLax

New postby Kramerica.Inc on Mon May 14, 2018 1:31 pm

Fake goes against Reeves every day in practice and shut down Albany's Nanticocke and Connor Fields earlier this year. Expect a long day for Spencer.

http://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/d ... fake/52022

He was prepared. Fake said he and coach Andrew Baxter watched film on every player on the offense.

“Coach Bax and I went through all the matchups. We know everything they’re going to do because we are prepared so well. Any of us can play with anyone because we’re so prepared,” he said.

“He’s a really competitive kid. He felt like he needed to know everyone on the attack anyway in case he was switched on a pick. For him, he’s going to play the same way. He’s going to be aggressive and fast and strong,” said Shay.

He frustrated Nanticoke, lifting his stick and matching up with the big guy physically. It surely was a team effort, with Jerry O’Connor sliding and a phenomenal game from senior Chris Keating. Fake had a groundball and caused four turnovers.
Kramerica Inc.
Kramerica.Inc

Re: Yale 2018

New postby thatsmell on Wed May 16, 2018 4:16 pm

UVA played Spencer straight up in the early season matchup and he tallied 3G and 2A. UVA decided to face guard Spencer all-day this past Saturday and he registered 2G 3A.

:think:

From a Greyhound fan, that has watched their offense for the whole season, I have no clue to how I'd try to defend Spencer and the Hounds. Spencer is incredibly patient and willing to be the centerpiece of the offense or drag his man away to make room for others. I thought faceguarding him may be the best bet too, but Duffy, Olmstead, Lindley and Drapeau have proven to be offensive threats that play real well when they get that extra 5v5 space. It make the Spencer question a tough one to address.

Speaking of which, I'm not sure how my greyhounds address Reeves. I like our top defenseman Huggins, but I'm not sure his game matches up well against a guy of Reeves size. Faceguard perhaps could be an answer.

:confusion-shrug:

Good luck to Yale this week and here's hoping for a fun, competitive, injury-free game!
thatsmell

New postby foreverlax on Wed May 16, 2018 4:45 pm

The guys knocking on the Century Club door this year - Spencer, Guterding, Reeves, Fields and Teat are simply "other level" players.

You hope you can offset these guys with superior play by the rest of your team defense and goalie. Win draws and value the ball on O.

Spencer has had a point in every game, with only a couple of singles. 2 of Loyola's 3 losses he was held to 3pts.

With comparable goals against, 10-12 goals likely gets it done.
Honor the Game!
foreverlax

New postby calourie on Wed May 16, 2018 4:58 pm

I have a feeling Spencer and Reeves have enough size that simply face guarding them won't be the option it has been for other teams against Teat. These two are big enough to slough off defenders on picks, and don't shy away from contact, using such to know eactly where their defenders are. Equally important to me as far as defense goes Yale SSDMs need to be on top of their slides and get up on the hands of Loyola's offensive players in front of the cage more than they have been when they are not at their best to limit time and room shots against Starr. Should be a fun game between two complete teams.
calourie

New postby calourie on Thu May 17, 2018 1:40 am

https://www.uslaxmagazine.com/college/m ... i-lacrosse

Everyone is talking about the Chris Fake-Pat Spencer matchup, but after reading this USLaxmagazine article it looks like Foster Huggins-Ben Reeves will be just as intriguing and impactful.
calourie

New postby FannOLax on Thu May 17, 2018 7:24 am

Those of us not in the Baltimore area who don't follow Loyola might hear about Spencer to the exclusion of others, so it's nice to read about Huggins. Winning the Patriot League is no mean feat, and I expect Loyola to be a good team from top to bottom. This has the potential to be a very good game, even if the gray rainy weather in the NYC area could well last into the weekend.
FannOLax

New postby FannOLax on Thu May 17, 2018 9:40 am

So Merrimack, against whom Yale scrimmaged in February of this year (the week after visiting Syracuse in the Dome), is through to the D2 semi-finals. Loyola will be a real test for the Bulldogs (will Handsome Dan be there in Hofstra's stadium?), with a full 60 minutes of controlled intensity probably being required to go home with the win. Yale rose to the occasion for the game against the Albany Great Danes, and it would be great to see that kind of performance against the Greyhounds. There is no dog breed named "Pioneer," but I still think this half of the bracket is going to the dogs.
FannOLax

New postby voyuer on Thu May 17, 2018 11:47 am

I thought both of these teams had a real shot at the final four. Great early match-up. I watched Bucknell beat both teams without shutting off either Reeves or Spencer. Versus Loyola they played in relatively tight and slid very quickly vs Spencer. I think Yale will have to slide to Drapeau quickly as well, and make the other guys beat you one on one. The key to Loyola is allowing 0 transition goals. Versus Yale, Bucknell played very tight and slid quickly to everyone, daring Yale to make successive quick passes around to the back side. Yale struggled to accomplish this. My guess is neither team will shut off the other's star. I think Loyola will throw some zone out there. I think both teams comfortable with Huggins and Fake playing man to man with quick help coming to get the ball out of their guys stick. The team that can create turnovers in the ride, and get a few cheap ones, probably wins.
voyuer

New postby FannOLax on Sat May 19, 2018 9:20 am

Rain, rain... not a downpour, but definitely more than a drizzle, expected to last pretty much all day. No wind to speak of; temps in the 50s.
FannOLax

New postby The Orfling on Sat May 19, 2018 12:34 pm

End of Q1, Yale up 5-3: Great first quarter by Big Ben Reeves, good midfield involvement, good ball movement by the Elis, nice work by Conor Mackie at the X. Loyola when they get possessions is getting good looks as well, and is clearing easily. Stover for Loyola with some good early saves. Probably a few more turnovers than the Greyhound faithful would prefer. Lots more goals and probably lead changes coming in this one.
The Orfling

New postby The Orfling on Sat May 19, 2018 12:40 pm

Ben Reeves on the 6th goal -- unreal dodge then great pass to Gaudet (when it seemed like he would take the shot). Does not get better than that.
The Orfling

New postby The Orfling on Sat May 19, 2018 12:45 pm

Pat Spencer, man. So good.
The Orfling

New postby bartsouth on Sat May 19, 2018 1:01 pm

Hey did you guys know a kid w a 3.9 in molecular biology who is researching cancer cures is totally comparable to a NBA player who barely complete two years at Arizona and dated a Kardashian?
bartsouth

New postby The Orfling on Sat May 19, 2018 1:03 pm

bartsouth wrote:Hey did you guys know a kid w a 3.9 in molecular biology who is researching cancer cures is totally comparable to a NBA player who barely complete two years at Arizona and dated a Kardashian?

I think they Googled "best lefty in the NBA" and just went with it. :D
The Orfling

New postby FannOLax on Sat May 19, 2018 1:06 pm

Good to see O'Connor back in for Yale after having gone off injured (cramp?), during which time Hynes filled in well. Low-scoring 2nd quarter, Yale up 6-4 at the half.
FannOLax

New postby LadyLaker on Sat May 19, 2018 1:07 pm

Could someone post a halftime score for this gal who finds herself on the outer rim of the universe with little to no internet?!?!
Please and thx
LL
Being "Over the Hill" is much better than being under it!
LadyLaker

Sponsor

Next

Return to MD1 Game Talk