THE NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP: Yale 13, Duke 11 (Final)

For those wishing to conduct game-specific discussions

Who is Mens Division 1 Lacrosse 2018 Champion?

Poll ended at Tue May 29, 2018 8:51 am

Duke
32%
Yale
67%

Total votes : 28

Re: THE NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP: Yale 13, Duke 11 (Final)

New postby HHS '64 on Mon May 28, 2018 4:47 pm

calourie wrote:Duke's on ball defense was by far the best I have seen all season. Made me anxious whenever Yale had possession. Extremely hard fought and quality performances by both teams.

I agree, the Blue Devils’ D was excellent (particularly in the second half). With this said, I’m very proud of Duke and extremely pleased for Yale. Today’s game is precisely what a National Championship should be: two outstanding teams, battling with skill and tenacity. That the better team won is both fine and appropriate . . . and it takes nothing away from the other competitor.
SGT James Regan
Duke Lacrosse ’99-’02
Academic All-ACC
Army Ranger, KIA Iraq, 2007

LT Brendan Looney
Navy Lacrosse ’01-’04
Spirit of Tewaaraton Award
Navy SEAL, KIA Afghanistan, 2010

May God bless them and their families always
HHS '64

New postby dmaclaxnut11 on Mon May 28, 2018 4:57 pm

Baldo wrote:29,455 today. Best in quite some time.

Nice, and thanks. Good day for lacrosse to put on an outstanding exhibition of the game.
dmaclaxnut11

New postby jhu7276 on Mon May 28, 2018 5:11 pm

This just in from Foxboro Dog Show: the bulldog wins”Best in Show” defeating a Great Dane and a non-canine entity. Congrats to Handsome Dan and all Yalies on your victory! Dan deserves a nice filet mignon tonight!
"showoff shown up at showdown"
"It's your attitude not your aptitude that determines your altitude"
(both from fortune cookies)
jhu7276

New postby chousnake on Mon May 28, 2018 5:30 pm

Congrats to Yale. You made the Ivies proud. They were the better team today and had a great season.

The refs sure made it hard on them though. There were way too many face off violations. No wonder Mackie got upset. They were calling phantom violations all game long. And they were so quick to put the shot clock on late in the game - faster than I have seen all year. They wouldn’t let Yale take even a minute off the clock before calling for the shot clock.
chousnake

Re: THE NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP, Duke versus Yale

New postby Mid-Lax on Mon May 28, 2018 5:41 pm

DocBarrister wrote:Basically the two most athletic teams are in the finals. I will take Yale by 2 goals, 13-11.

DocBarrister 8)

Great call on the game!!!
It's the System!
Mid-Lax

New postby Mid-Lax on Mon May 28, 2018 5:49 pm

Great game. Congrats to Yale for breaking through and to Duke for a great season.
Last edited by Mid-Lax on Mon May 28, 2018 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's the System!
Mid-Lax

New postby Baldo on Mon May 28, 2018 5:55 pm

chousnake wrote:Congrats to Yale. You made the Ivies proud. They were the better team today and had a great season.

The refs sure made it hard on them though. There were way too many face off violations. No wonder Mackie got upset. They were calling phantom violations all game long. And they were so quick to put the shot clock on late in the game - faster than I have seen all year. They wouldn’t let Yale take even a minute off the clock before calling for the shot clock.

Actually, I thought I detected a very subtle lift off the turf Mackie's left glove when they showed the ground level camera view.
Likely not the cause of a violation, but could be an advantage. That said, Mackie only had an average day at the face-off X, scoreboard said 50%, 14 apiece. Sounds about right. He won a few at crunch time late though.
"If you come to a fork in the road, take it"
- Yogi Berra
Baldo
Site Admin

New postby MM11 on Mon May 28, 2018 7:06 pm

Congrats to Yale and their staff. Great game and sad Duke came up short but Yale played a hell of a game. Congrats Elis.
MM11

New postby johnnyonthegunpowder on Mon May 28, 2018 11:11 pm

Those spoiled brats like Joseph Sessa just get everything handed to the on a silver platter, right Cooter.... :whatever: What a team. Wow.
johnnyonthegunpowder

New postby shrimpngrits on Tue May 29, 2018 11:31 am

Even the wife was yelling at the screen - "C'mon Shorty!" Love that kid!
shrimpngrits

New postby JHU87 on Tue May 29, 2018 2:04 pm

Baldo wrote:
chousnake wrote:Congrats to Yale. You made the Ivies proud. They were the better team today and had a great season.

Actually, I thought I detected a very subtle lift off the turf Mackie's left glove when they showed the ground level camera view.
Likely not the cause of a violation, but could be an advantage. That said, Mackie only had an average day at the face-off X, scoreboard said 50%, 14 apiece. Sounds about right. He won a few at crunch time late though.

You’re ALIVE! Hope you are having a GREAT retirement!!!
JHU87

New postby Baldo on Tue May 29, 2018 2:35 pm

Hahaha Thanks

"Retirement" means getting to actually watch some more of my favorite sport IN SEASON for a change.
"If you come to a fork in the road, take it"
- Yogi Berra
Baldo
Site Admin

New postby Typical Lax Dad on Tue May 29, 2018 2:40 pm

johnnyonthegunpowder wrote:Those spoiled brats like Joseph Sessa just get everything handed to the on a silver platter, right Cooter.... :whatever: What a team. Wow.

I recall Cooter saying Sessa was a product of his HS competition....... This was just after Sessa was named one of the top players in the Tri-State by the folks at MSG Varsity in the old days...... I am not sure Cooter had seen him play but maybe he had.
Typical Lax Dad

New postby sore+old on Wed May 30, 2018 2:40 am

I thought the Danowskis did a brilliant job with a great game plan in keeping this Duke team together everytime Yale threatened to break away. Goalie play both sides was spectacular. SSD's and LSM's on both teams impressive. I didn't think Yale had their best game. Some of that I give credit to Duke for. Great teams like Yale still find a way anyway as Yale did.
Who's a Grandpa? This guy!!
sore+old

New postby Tigeralum34 on Wed May 30, 2018 4:57 am

johnnyonthegunpowder wrote:Those spoiled brats like Joseph Sessa just get everything handed to the on a silver platter, right Cooter.... :whatever: What a team. Wow.

He reminds me a little of #5 Jasinski of Ohio State. V good ball player. They come in all shapes & sizes.
Tigeralum34

New postby HHS '64 on Wed May 30, 2018 9:21 am

sore+old wrote:I thought the Danowskis did a brilliant job with a great game plan in keeping this Duke team together everytime Yale threatened to break away. Goalie play both sides was spectacular. SSD's and LSM's on both teams impressive. I didn't think Yale had their best game. Some of that I give credit to Duke for. Great teams like Yale still find a way anyway as Yale did.

Yep, Duke played tenaciously — for example, I thought the Devils’ D was, in general, really hard-nosed and Fowler did well between the pipes — and our coaches did a good job in game-planning and -execution. All of which suggests to me that Yale’s victory was — and is — even more impressive. I’m sure everyone would agree, it was a GREAT, HIGHLY COMPETITIVE, INTENSELY FOUGHT National Championship . . . and the better team won.
SGT James Regan
Duke Lacrosse ’99-’02
Academic All-ACC
Army Ranger, KIA Iraq, 2007

LT Brendan Looney
Navy Lacrosse ’01-’04
Spirit of Tewaaraton Award
Navy SEAL, KIA Afghanistan, 2010

May God bless them and their families always
HHS '64

New postby sore+old on Wed May 30, 2018 10:07 am

Tigeralum34 wrote:

He reminds me a little of #5 Jasinski of Ohio State. V good ball player. They come in all shapes & sizes.
Wasn't UNC around 2015 vertically challenged?
Who's a Grandpa? This guy!!
sore+old

Re: THE NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP, Duke versus Yale

New postby DocBarrister on Thu May 31, 2018 12:43 am

Mid-Lax wrote:
DocBarrister wrote:Basically the two most athletic teams are in the finals. I will take Yale by 2 goals, 13-11.

DocBarrister 8)

Great call on the game!!!

Heh. Thank you all. :dance: ;)

Of course, what was great was the game. Most entertaining final in a while. :clap:

DocBarrister 8)
Johns Hopkins 13, Maryland 10
Johns Hopkins Big Ten Champions
Twitter: @DocBarrister
DocBarrister

Sponsor

Previous

Return to MD1 Game Talk