MCLA Predictions for 2018 Season

Men's Collegiate Lacrosse Association

Re: MCLA Predictions for 2018 Season

New postby el zurdo on Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:14 pm

Or maybe I just expect some of those teams to be ranked higher than 15.....

I guess I should have phrased the question, who outside of the preseason poll should move into the top 25?
el zurdo

New postby FastGame on Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:11 pm

Utah over Cal Poly 9-3 today.
FastGame

New postby knightdad on Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:00 am

Gamecocks have started the 2018 season 6-0 beating Georgia (12-5), SMU (8-3), Texas State (16-3), Texas Tech (10-3), Florida (15-4) and Florida State (19-5). All the while keeping GA to 5 and under.
Not saying they are going to the championship just that they are starting strong.
knightdad

New postby BeagleLax on Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:03 am

Let me get this straight: Utah brings in around 20 Div 1 recruits. Utah’s starting goalie is a transfer from a Div 1 team and they probably have other Div 1 transfers as well. They just beat the team ranked #3 in the Country by 15 goals. Are they really going to participate in the MCLA National Championship tournament? Look, if they want to play club teams this year, that is fine. But they really should bow out of the tournament. Utah is no longer a club team.
BeagleLax

New postby CNLax91 on Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:11 pm

Same thing was said about Michigan in their final MCLA year and they did not even make it to the finals of the MCLA tournament. They lost to Arizona State in the semi-finals. Point is, Utah is clearly the class of the MCLA right now, but lets wait on just handing them the trophy in February.
CNLax91

New postby sheldon26 on Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:37 pm

Too early to be anointing them. I think that's there's a few teams that will give them good competition. Actually this is an interesting laboratory for those that want to weigh in on the NCAA vs MCLA discussion...how does MCLA stack up? These aren't preseason scrimmages. It's going to be interesting.
sheldon26

New postby LeadSled1 on Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:09 pm

Arizona State looked good this weekend. Also, rankings were preseason before anyone played. Let the cards fall and see where things line up. It is way early in the season and there are teams that haven't played a game yet.
LeadSled1

New postby FastGame on Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:44 pm

My friends son plays on Utah and that's a "Total Exaggeration" they brought in around 20 recruited freshmen this season? I didn't know players in the MCLA get athletic money? I'm sure it was real easy to recruit young guys and convincing their parents they receive no money and they have no dedicated locker room facilities etc. Must be a wonderful feeling to go to early morning class after 6:45am practices in nice smelling clothes. My friend's son is a freshman, he wasn't recruited by anyone, the young man loves mountains and to snowboard etc. as do many of his freshmen teammates.

They still have players on the roster from the last several seasons. In addition, Utah has "recruited" 35 freshmen for next year. If we go along with the approx. 20 recruits exaggeration, next year they would have the biggest squad in D1 lacrosse or they would need to cut numerous recruited players to get down to 50 players (which would still be considered a large squad)? Plus they only have 8.5 scholarships available next year, below the 12.5 of the the majority of D1 programs. Yes they have "2" D1 transfers on the team. One player on the team that is a Senior who transferred from Wagner in 2015 (after his freshman year), and this is his 3rd year of club ball.

In my opinion, where I think their advantage lies is in a solid coaching staff who knows only how to train, practice, and coach games on the D1 level.

Totally agree, way too early in season to anoint any team. Games still need to be played.
FastGame

New postby ISL Laxin' on Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:57 pm

Big things expected from BYU this spring. Maybe they'll be the one to take down the Utes! Nonetheless, great Q&A here with BYU senior and captain Tanner Johnson. https://quickstickblog.com/2018/02/19/q ... r-johnson/
ISL Laxin'

New postby youenjoymyself on Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:00 pm

FastGame wrote:My friends son plays on Utah and that's a "Total Exaggeration" they brought in around 20 recruited freshmen this season?.....They still have players on the roster from the last several seasons....Yes they have "2" D1 transfers on the team. One player on the team that is a Senior who transferred from Wagner in 2015 (after his freshman year), and this is his 3rd year of club ball.

They have 26 freshmen. They have St John's starting goalie from last year, Bellarmine's best defenseman from last year, and a Loyola de-commit soph at pole. Do they have *some* players that carried over from last year? Sure, single digits. And even some of those guys came because of the news they were going D1. They just transferred/committed a year earlier than most.

FastGame wrote:In my opinion, where I think their advantage lies is in a solid coaching staff who knows only how to train, practice, and coach games on the D1 level.

No doubt the staff has a clue, but they're not miracle workers. If they had to work with the Utah roster from 2016 they wouldn't crack the top 30.
youenjoymyself

New postby FastGame on Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:54 pm

So basically parents are willing to pay the full freight for an out of state student this year (approx. $40k +) to commit early to get that huge chunk of 8.5 scholarship money spread amongst the majority of returning players from this years team and next years 35 recruits? (I know, not every player gets money, but majority of recruited guys yes) Plus they don't know if they'll be part of any conference next year. And finally, add in the fact if your from out of state, the chances of you receiving academic or grant money etc. to a state university are practically nil. Yup, I see parents lining up to sign on for that. According to my friend, there is no way there's even 26, 20, 15, or even 10 recruited freshmen on this team. So let's agree to disagree.

Finally, I watched yesterdays game via live stream, and if California was ranked #3, they had an off day. The difference in the game was basic fundamentals, like being able to pass the ball around 3 times without dropping it, hustling to pick up ground balls, shooting on net etc. Utah just flat out hustled Cal, they never stopped playing, and in my opinion, their coaches are miracle workers because they have a ways to go with all their recruited freshmen.
FastGame

New postby dealwithit on Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:03 am

>>>And finally, add in the fact if your from out of state, the chances of you receiving academic or grant money etc. to a state university are practically nil.

Maybe you should read up on what is offered at UU...And I believe they have a program for out of state students that greatly reduces their tuition bill. I think i saw it in a lacrosse news article or web page. My point is, they do give some help with tuition, etc. to bring more kids from out of state, for lacrosse or just regular students.

https://financialaid.utah.edu/tuition-a ... aivers.php

https://financialaid.utah.edu/types-of- ... /index.php

(added and found this just now)
https://financialaid.utah.edu/types-of- ... change.php

Now, most of the kids they brought in this year won't be around for next year when 35+ kids come in who were recruited. I saw some of those 2017 kids and where they played and I can assure you, they are NOT D1 level material, and probably not even D1 MCLA material. I am guessing only about 10% of the 2017 roster will be good enough to make the cut in 2018. I am not even sure all of the 35+ 2018 recruits will all make the final cut next year, unless they plan to take in everyone who shows up, even if they kinda suck once they get on the field and play against a higher level of competition they are used to. From what I have seen at other programs, just because you are offered to come to any place to play lacrosse doesn't mean you automatically make the final roster. Maybe it will be different at UU in its first year but who knows except the coaches, right? I am guessing they will review and cut recruited players in 2018....Just look at what Furman has been doing over the years.
dealwithit

New postby FastGame on Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:26 am

I then stand corrected regarding potential tuition support for out of state students. May be a initiative because I did hear they are, or going to, build new dorms on campus to help attract more out of state students. Apparently current on campus housing only accommodates approximately 3,500 students. It's still considered primarily a commuter school.

I agree that many of the players that made this years team won't be on next years roster. And from what I watched on Sunday, I totally agree that there are currently only a handful or two of D1 level, and potential players on this team.

Goes back to original point that the focus on recruiting wasn't on this year's club and it is highly doubtful they recruited 20 freshmen that are on this season's roster. They officially announced they were going to be a D1 program in mid June of 2017, which put them significantly behind the 8 ball to recruit for the Fall of '17.
FastGame

New postby sheldon26 on Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:00 pm

Back to the games. There are a number of good games scheduled for later this week. GCU gets it going, heading north to Cal Poly and UCSB. ASU playing the same teams as well. BYU heading to the Bay area to face Stanford and Cal. Several cross sectional match ups, of note, Chapman heading to Georgia Tech. And is it my imagination, or are there more western teams heading east to play this year?
sheldon26

New postby el zurdo on Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:59 pm

Having seen Utah play, and comparing the roster to last year, it does seem to be a different team. I'm not sure that Utah was drawing from high schools like Landon and Saint Anthony's in the past, so the announcement does seem to have an effect on the type of players going to Utah. I have no inside knowledge of scholarships or tuition, but that seems more relevant to future teams than this year's Utes. Either way, the staff is doing a great job and clearly building something good out west.

Any guesses on the next poll? How high is South Carolina ranked after being unranked preseason? Where do teams like Florida State, SMU, Texas, and Sonoma State fall?
Last edited by el zurdo on Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
el zurdo

New postby sipecoth on Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:28 pm

FastGame wrote:So basically parents are willing to pay the full freight for an out of state student this year (approx. $40k +) to commit early to get that huge chunk of 8.5 scholarship money spread amongst the majority of returning players from this years team and next years 35 recruits? (I know, not every player gets money, but majority of recruited guys yes) Plus they don't know if they'll be part of any conference next year. And finally, add in the fact if your from out of state, the chances of you receiving academic or grant money etc. to a state university are practically nil. Yup, I see parents lining up to sign on for that. According to my friend, there is no way there's even 26, 20, 15, or even 10 recruited freshmen on this team. So let's agree to disagree.

At the risk of making this a U of U thread...

Out of state students pay full freight for a year, then if they stay in Utah for 12 months they get residency and in-state tuition. The U is making a real push to get quality out-of-state students, so there are scholarships available if you have the grades. But I don't think this is about tuition. I think it is about getting to be Team One from Utah. And you get to be part of the upswing that Utah is on. Beautiful campus. Attractive girls (I know no one cares about that). PAC 12 sports. Educational programs that are on the rise, etc.

If the thought is that they aren't recruiting players for Team One...here are some roster numbers:

2016 roster (last year of previous coach) - 33 total - 25 from Utah, 4 from the West, 4 from the East
2017 roster - 23 total - 18 from Utah, 8 from the West, 1 from the Midwest, 5 from the East. This included a couple big transfers away from BYU. This coincided with Holman's hiring, but did not include the D1 announcement.
2018 roster - 43 total - 14 from Utah, 10 from the West, 15 from the East, 4 from the Midwest

The trend is in place and will continue to go this way. The # of Utah players will keep going down every year, until it settles in around 5-7. Only the BEST Utah kids will even sniff this roster in the future.

The non-Utah players were clearly recruited to help Utah be competitive in year one. Coach Holman has done an awesome job of getting guys to buy in, and some of them to come a year early. Sure there are bunch that might not make it next year, but those who try out in the fall of 2018 will have the benefit of playing in Coach Holman's system for a year (or two in some cases).

It is a crying shame that we won't see Utah/Chapman this year, unless it is in nationals (which will be a home game for the Utes). I still think Chapman is #1, but the Utes seem to be making statements early this season. I fully expect Utah to be undefeated when it starts the meat of its RMLC schedule and plays CSU, CU and BYU in a week's time.
sipecoth

New postby dealwithit on Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:25 pm

FastGame wrote:I then stand corrected regarding potential tuition support for out of state students. May be a initiative because I did hear they are, or going to, build new dorms on campus to help attract more out of state students. Apparently current on campus housing only accommodates approximately 3,500 students. It's still considered primarily a commuter school.

I agree that many of the players that made this years team won't be on next years roster. And from what I watched on Sunday, I totally agree that there are currently only a handful or two of D1 level, and potential players on this team.

Goes back to original point that the focus on recruiting wasn't on this year's club and it is highly doubtful they recruited 20 freshmen that are on this season's roster. They officially announced they were going to be a D1 program in mid June of 2017, which put them significantly behind the 8 ball to recruit for the Fall of '17.

I am only guessing here but I believe only a few (less than 10) players were probably actively recruited with the intent of seriously trying to make the 2018 team. I am sure most of the others were planning to come to Utah anyway and try out for the MCLA team, with some even "recruited" to just play on the MCLA squad only. I am guessing UU wants to start up the pipelines as early as possible from the east coast: VA, DC, MD, NY, etc., and West Coast: CA, WA, OR, AZ, etc. so you see a few kids from those parts in 2017. A whole lot more in 18 and 19. 20 should have some serious ballers if they come out serious and win a few games and show folks they are for real and not some half-baked team and coaching staff like Michigan, imo. Very disappointing to see that program flounder but they chose that route for good reasons I suppose.
dealwithit

New postby holmes435 on Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:56 pm

del
Last edited by holmes435 on Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
holmes435

New postby 10stone5 on Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:21 pm

I posted in D1 thread.

Yet another player I had been keeping my eye on, does not sign with a CAA team.
Would have thought he would have been a good fit with one of these CAA teams, sort of a midfield version of Josh Byrne.
But Jake Cantlon signs with Brian Holman and Utah.

https://recruitingrundown.com/commitmen ... mmitments/

rest of thread.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=63219&start=160#p1567095
10stone5

New postby LeadSled1 on Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:01 pm

That was an interesting thread to read. I know it rang true for us. My son was approached by a lot of DIII schools including a top 5, had a ton of DII interest and even had a coach come to our house which was awesome, and some mid D1 interest. But when a top MCLA program reached out and we looked at what the school had to offer (cyber range for cyber security :dance: ), the campus, coach, and team he decided he will go MCLA. We have seen this with NJCAA guys here at Essex CC (Balestrierie before, and this year Welter going to GCU), possibly Harford CC, and some of the other high school players in MD. I think as more kids hear about the west coast experiences and see guys who have enjoyed it you will see more east to west transplants. I know we have been approached by and have talked to other locals about it.
LeadSled1

Sponsor

PreviousNext

Return to Men's - MCLA