NAIA

Men's Collegiate Lacrosse Association

NAIA

New postby Gecco on Sun Mar 29, 2015 5:38 pm

I have heard that the NAIA is close to having enough teams to sponsor lacrosse and have a national championship. Does anyone know how many teams are needed for this to happen? I can't find anything on the NAIA webpage and the Wiki page looks out of date.
Gecco

Re: NAIA

New postby 6x6 on Sun Mar 29, 2015 6:51 pm

Funny, I quickly found the following info on their website. http://www.naia.org/fls/27900/1NAIA/res ... M_ID=27900

According to their rules they have to have 40 teams playing varsity in order to hold a NC. They show 23 now, with 15 club teams. Don't know about those numbers. If you check the threads on here I think those posting have counted about 25 NAIA teams now playing in the MCLA. Plus, those teams are spread from coast to coast. So, where have you heard they are close?

All the current teams would have to want to leave and with the increased travel costs, not sure they would.
6x6

New postby Gecco on Sun Mar 29, 2015 8:52 pm

Thank you for the link. I heard it from a coach.
Gecco

New postby BBChap on Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:45 pm

It also needs to be considered what leagues the emerging sports are currently playing in, when comparing any other sport to lacrosse. Giving the organization level of the MCLA, I would recommend that NAIA teams stay in the MCLA until they are "asked to leave." One of the arguments against NAIA teams being in the MCLA is the "unfair" advantage of having scholarships. Let's shelf that conversation until we see an NAIA team dominate any MCLA conference.
BBChap

New postby 6x6 on Wed Apr 01, 2015 1:37 am

BB, off the top of my head I can think of two, Davenport and Westminster that were plenty dominate to me.

I guess you don't count Westminster winning multiple RMLC championships, numerous deep runs in the NC tourney incl final 4s, one national championship runner up and oh yeah, actually winning one national championship. Not dominate enough for you?

Davenport also comes to mind. When they were in the CCLA DII you could argue that was the best conf in the nation for several years while having to face GV and Dayton. No they didn't "dominate" their conf but always seemed to play in the conf final. Even though they didn't win their conf and apprently meet your criteria, they did have deep runs in the NC tourney and did win a National Championship in 2011. A damn good resumé to me.
6x6

New postby holmes435 on Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:28 pm

6x6 wrote:BB, off the top of my head I can think of two, Davenport and Westminster that were plenty dominate to me.

I guess you don't count Westminster winning multiple RMLC championships, numerous deep runs in the NC tourney incl final 4s, one national championship runner up and oh yeah, actually winning one national championship. Not dominate enough for you?

Nah, not until they do it in Division 1 consistently.

Also, does anyone know how many scholarships these teams are giving out?
holmes435

New postby 6x6 on Wed Apr 01, 2015 8:40 pm

A DI elitist perhaps?

The op said, any, in bold print. The unfairness question is really a non issue to me in many instances. A player attending a private NAIA school may be getting some sort of lax scholarship but the overall cost to attend the school may be double what a player pays to attend an instate school, even with lax dues added. Might be better to compare NAIA schools with other private colleges competing in the MCLA. Even then hard to make true comparisons amongst schools due to financial aid pkgs etc.
6x6

New postby holmes435 on Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:39 am

6x6 wrote:A DI elitist perhaps?

The op said, any, in bold print. The unfairness question is really a non issue to me in many instances. A player attending a private NAIA school may be getting some sort of lax scholarship but the overall cost to attend the school may be double what a player pays to attend an instate school, even with lax dues added. Might be better to compare NAIA schools with other private colleges competing in the MCLA. Even then hard to make true comparisons amongst schools due to financial aid pkgs etc.

Yes, a D1 "elitist" because the level of play is better across the board.

True, he said any conference in bold print if you want to be pedantic, and Westminster had a run of 3 years of 2011-13 where they dominated the RMLC D2, not losing any conference games and had only one game won by less than like 5 goals. In that time period though they did lose 9 D2 games (2 of those to other NAIA teams.)

Your explanation of the unfairness question is a testament to why the NAIA as a whole will not dominate the MCLA in the near future. Comparing schools like SCAD to a University of Georgia or a Westminster to a University of Utah are apples and oranges and kids will choose one over the other for a ton of reasons even outside of scholarship opportunities.

I doubt many NAIA recruits are looking at a ton of large MCLA D1 schools though. The scholarship advantage kicks in not from a kid deciding between UGA and SCAD, but a kid looking at NCAA DIII and DII art schools in the mid-Atlantic to northeast.

The second, and perhaps larger advantage NAIA schools have, are full-time coaches and more paid assistants. The time and effort they can spend in recruiting dwarfs what most other MCLA coaches can put in.
holmes435

New postby Gecco on Wed May 20, 2015 12:42 am

NAIA Takes Step Closer to National Tournament

"The NAIA National Administrative Council (NAC) gave unanimous support to the an application by the association's men's and women's lacrosse coaches to earn Invitational Status at the organization's national convention in mid-April. Those same coaches have established a coaches association that has submitted further paperwork to the NAC, which will have the final say as to whether the sport will be granted Invitational Status for the 2016 season when it meets in mid-June."

http://www.laxmagazine.com/blogs/author ... _Jac_Coyne
Gecco

New postby laxmarmot on Mon May 25, 2015 8:47 pm

Sounds like someone is getting the ole ball rolling, great news for all players in the NAIA.
Your Preparation of today Determines your Achievements of Tomorrow
laxmarmot

New postby LifeLongLaxer85 on Tue May 26, 2015 12:43 pm

What I have been told is there is a direct conflict of interest between the coaches and schools in the NAIA.

This is directly between top and bottom tier teams. Some of the bottom think they will gain more legitimacy if they go NAIA brand vs MCLA/NWLL- the ones at the top, already have support.

So, the question is- Which direction is better for the sport of lacrosse at the NAIA level? IMO - it has to be sanctioned by the naia and leaving the MCLA.

1st reason: Nobody knows anything about the MCLA except for MCLA people, so when AD's at schools go to their conference meeting to push lacrosse, the main question asked "where do they play" (if they hear a group of letters they have never heard before, the are less likely to add the sport).

2nd reason: It will indeed legitimize the sport for a lot of school, and the support would increase, in result, NAIA lacrosse would get better.

3rd reason: the NAIA WILL do things to help promote the sport, and grow it within the NAIA.

I do not get the argument of "upping travel costs" - The NWLL is the women's side, and they play only the NWLL teams pretty much- and their schedules are peppered with D3 and club teams. The men's side would do the same- adding very little to cost for travel.

It is going to happen eventually D2 is who these coaches would be recruiting against- do you want to be in front or behind the curve?
LifeLongLaxer85

New postby Gecco on Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:00 pm

Looks like the NAIA now sponsors lacrosse. :clap: Lacrosse Magazine posted a story saying it has been approved. Lacrosse is also listed on the NAIA website with 27 men's schools listed as participating in 2015-16.

http://www.naia.org/ViewArticle.dbml?DB ... =210170690

Aquinas (Mich.)
Asbury (Ky.)
Benedictine (Kan.)
Clarke (Iowa)
Cumberlands (Ky.)
Davenport (Mich.)
Great Falls (Mont.)
Indiana Tech (Ind.)
Lawrence Tech. (Mich.)
Lindenwood (Ill.)
Lourdes (Ohio)
Marymount (Calif.)
Michigan-Dearborn (Mich.)
Missouri Baptist (Mo.)
Missouri Valley (Mo.)
Montreat (N.C.)
Ottawa (Kan.)
Point (Ga.)
Reinhardt (Ga.)
Robert Morris (Ill.)
St. Gregory's (Okla.)
St. Mary (Kan.)
SCAD Savannah (Ga.)
Siena Heights (Mich.)
St. Ambrose (Iowa)
St. Andrews (N.C.)
Tennessee Wesleyan (Tenn.)
Gecco

New postby laxdadwest on Tue Jul 07, 2015 12:28 pm

Does this mean that those schools won't be competing in the MCLA this coming year?
laxdadwest

New postby Tlax27 on Tue Jul 07, 2015 1:13 pm

I hope to see most get away from the MCLA. I think once the NAIA takes off, more college's that are already NAIA will look to add Lacrosse as it grows within the NAIA. It will make it more creditable above the MCLA league which a lot the NAIA teams run across from the natural clubs who typically are not organized or run to the fullest ability.

On a side note, looking at the list of NAIA team, it will be interesting to see who is ranked in the top 5 teams
Tlax27

New postby Gecco on Tue Jul 07, 2015 5:16 pm

Tlax27 wrote: On a side note, looking at the list of NAIA team, it will be interesting to see who is ranked in the top 5 teams

My best guess for preseason top 10 based on Laxpower Power Ratings.

1. Davenport
2. Missouri Valley
3. Siena Heights
4. Indiana Tech
5. Reinhardt
6. St. Andrews
7. SCAD Savannah
8. Aquinas
9. Lourdes
10. Missouri Baptist
Gecco

New postby LifeLongLaxer85 on Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:06 pm

I hope that this does push the coaches of the NAIA teams to go away from the MCLA (although the MCLA is a GREAT organization) in order for the NAIA to become respectable among their own Athletic Department's, they must move to their own association.

I hope that the MCLA continues to compete at a high level without the NAIA members - but considering that most of the NAIA members compete in DII (where numbers of teams fluctuates year to year) should not bother the driving force of D1 MCLA.

The NAIA women's teams have been on their own since 2011 without club, I think the Men could do it if there was a push.

Nevertheless the fact that the NAIA is finally owning lacrosse is amazing for the sport of lacrosse!
LifeLongLaxer85

New postby LifeLongLaxer85 on Sat Aug 01, 2015 1:56 pm

Is this going to be allowed the MCLA??

http://www.cumberlandspatriots.com/article/5367.php
LifeLongLaxer85

New postby umopepisdn on Mon Aug 03, 2015 1:31 pm

My understanding is, the MCLA/NAIA teams with a shot at a championship are going to stay in the MCLA to try to win one. The teams who have no shot at an MCLA nationals bid will drop out of the MCLA in order to save the dues cost and chase down the NAIA NIT stuff. The WHAC has already been sponsoring a championship so I don't think the MCLA has a problem with the AAC sponsoring one. Once the NAIA sponsors a national championship (rather than an NIT) I think that will be when NAIA teams will no longer participate in the MCLA totally.
My name is upsidedown.
umopepisdn

New postby BestCoastLax on Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:00 pm

Very anxious to see the MCLA board move decisively to remove NAIA teams once and for all. The playing field is not level. I am not hating on NAIA teams, fantastic gentlemen all of them. But it is an uneven playing ground when one group of schools offers unfettered financial aid (cash payouts in the NAIA) to entice athletes when others cannot. Not even NCAA schools offer cash payouts, it's literally handing out candy and expecting kids to say no.

The NAIA teams must go, this is the MCLA's chance to make a long-running wrong a right. Virtual varsity and actual varsity should not be competing together. Insert your snide comments about virtual varsity below:
BestCoastLax

New postby umopepisdn on Tue Aug 04, 2015 1:21 am

Nothing snide but I disagree. I always thought the NAIA teams legitimized the MCLA. I would rather play against a team who has their crap together than a bunch of guys with mismatched gear, coolers on the sidelines, not legit. MCLA aspires to be more than club and I agree with it, so why not let in varsity teams who are essentially what you want to be? (varsity without NCAA/title IX) As an admin I don't have to worry about an NAIA school bumping our OOC game for women's field hockey or ultimate frisbee because of field space, the sport is a priority and those schools offer locker rooms, meeting rooms, are professional, etc. And when was the last time an NAIA team won a national championship over a non-NAIA school? How many NAIA lax teams have won nationals total? I don't think its as big an issue as you project.
My name is upsidedown.
umopepisdn

Sponsor

Next

Return to Men's - MCLA