45-0

Men's Collegiate Lacrosse Association

Re: 45-0

New postby BackFin on Thu Mar 10, 2016 2:16 pm

AO wrote:
I would think that most of the players have lost whatever respect they had for that guy.

No doubt.

Looking at the SFU lacrosse website, I found this interesting note under the head coach's profile:
Simon Fraser University became the first institution outside of the United States to be awarded the James “Ace” Adams Sportsmanship Award (District 11); an award given by the US Lacrosse Men’s Division Officials Council, College Officials Committee.
Just a touch irony in there.....

Irony indeed the MCLA will do nothing about this, of that I'm certain. I call for this game to be forfeited to Null to Null like it never happened..

45-0? Really pretty classless IMHO. Head Coach should be ashamed.
Now it's completely up to a bunch of guys wearing shorts to provide vicarious thrills for their unathletic parents who didn't make their respective Little League teams until they loosened up the requirements and everyone made the team!
BackFin

New postby umnlaxcoach on Thu Mar 10, 2016 3:16 pm

Under what provision of the MCLA Bylaws, Operating Policies or NCAA Rules should the MCLA vacate the score of this game? IF something needs changing, it is the tie-breaker provision in the PNCLL that cites goal differential or goals scored (without a cap) that this coach used to justify the score.
umnlaxcoach

New postby FeauxGeaux on Fri Mar 11, 2016 12:50 am

Page 47, Article 18, Section II -

and I quote "Thou shalt not beest a classless fustilarian and runneth the tally on mere hapless opposition".
Don't stop believing, hold onto the feeling
FeauxGeaux

New postby holmes435 on Fri Mar 11, 2016 9:32 am

FeauxGeaux wrote:
holmes435 wrote:Alright, pack it in, we're gonna stop growing the game. Tell all those kids who want to play at their college that they don't get to anymore. I think you're forgetting that the club teams are mostly student-driven and the kids are creating these teams where nothing existed before, not the administrations.

Just looking at one team, Virginia had 38-5, 31-4 and 32-1 wins in the mid-90's.

Settle down there, drama queen. "Growing the game" is a farcical term these days because of 45-0 and 36-0 outcomes, in the same organization in the same weekend. We grew the population of lacrosse stick owners and uniform wearers in the majority of cases the last two decades. In the process, we put out a plethora of "lacrosse" that is an aberration of the sport. Yes, it has expanded very much in some great ways. But we need to sort through ten miles of junk in between the diamonds in the rough now.

Great statistical recall by the way, pulling scores from more than 20 years ago that lack relevance.

Lol, no need to get mad bro. You specifically asked for excessive scores before we "grew the game". While they weren't on the same weekend, there have been some bad blowouts. Then you move the goalposts by adding in qualifiers about school support or something.
holmes435

New postby holmes435 on Fri Mar 11, 2016 9:34 am

umnlaxcoach wrote:Under what provision of the MCLA Bylaws, Operating Policies or NCAA Rules should the MCLA vacate the score of this game? IF something needs changing, it is the tie-breaker provision in the PNCLL that cites goal differential or goals scored (without a cap) that this coach used to justify the score.

I think a few leagues and conferences (not sure about who in the MCLA) have moved to "goals against average" rather than a differential or goals scored. Not perfect, but it at least doesn't encourage extra goals against bad teams, but rather tightening your defense and trying to score more against good teams you may be in a tie with.
holmes435

New postby southernlax on Fri Mar 11, 2016 1:18 pm

BackFin wrote:
AO wrote:
I would think that most of the players have lost whatever respect they had for that guy.

No doubt.

Looking at the SFU lacrosse website, I found this interesting note under the head coach's profile:
Simon Fraser University became the first institution outside of the United States to be awarded the James “Ace” Adams Sportsmanship Award (District 11); an award given by the US Lacrosse Men’s Division Officials Council, College Officials Committee.

Irony indeed the MCLA will do nothing about this, of that I'm certain. I call for this game to be forfeited to Null to Null like it never happened..

seriously though.. look across the board- DIII mostly. Blow outs occur every weekend. Everyone is up in arms because of the first number. Get over it. Every bar gets risen. I am not saying this score is appropriate but in the same tone- two teams lined up play. One could not stop the other. Plain and simple. Where is the line? 30? 35? 39? again. there have been 30 point games this year in the NCAA yet no one is calling for a forfeit. The opposing team played with 11 players! 11! of a 20+ roster. SOunds to me they are the ones insulting the game just as much.
southernlax

New postby Warriorlax on Fri Mar 11, 2016 1:19 pm

PointTaken wrote:FeauxGeaux is correct. Easy to see both sides:

This is just as much on WSU and the MCLA as it is on SFU. A forfeit looks better for everyone than a 45-0 loss.

Puts a bad reflection on the entire MCLA if they do nothing. Doom on the whole MCLA and their silly by-laws if they have no provision for dealing with embarrassing the entire league by this rodeo clown.

Classless role models for young kids and youth coaches.

Make it a forfeit.
"The only difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."
Warriorlax

New postby incognito on Fri Mar 11, 2016 2:43 pm

southernlax wrote:
BackFin wrote:
AO wrote:

No doubt.

seriously though.. look across the board- DIII mostly. Blow outs occur every weekend. Everyone is up in arms because of the first number. Get over it. Every bar gets risen. I am not saying this score is appropriate but in the same tone- two teams lined up play. One could not stop the other. Plain and simple. Where is the line? 30? 35? 39? again. there have been 30 point games this year in the NCAA yet no one is calling for a forfeit. The opposing team played with 11 players! 11! of a 20+ roster. SOunds to me they are the ones insulting the game just as much.

IMO the score itself doesn't matter so much as the manner in which the score was driven up. It's pretty clear from the box score that the "go-to" guys were still pumping in goals and assists long after the game was well in hand. If, for example, the score remained the same but 15-20 guys had multiple points, then I think you can better justify the score alone; because that would signify the coach had emptied the bench and that the younger/less experienced/less talented guys on the roster were simply better as well (AND those non-starters would benefit tremendously from the in-game experience, further benefiting the team as a whole; always have to be prepared to lose contributors to injury, suspension, etc.).

That said, I also agree that it is embarrassing for a team with 20+ guys to only bring 11 to the game because of passport issues. Especially considering these teams are in the same conference. Plan on travelling to Canada every-other year, not too tough.
incognito

New postby Laxers26 on Thu Apr 07, 2016 1:30 pm

I would have called a time out and spoke with the other coach at 20-0 in the middle of the second quarter. As his intentions were poor, I would have pulled the goalie let the D and the middies have a live practice until they were tired. Then I would have let the other team just shoot. If they are this classless, they can win 200-0. I really does not matter. The guys on the sideline would just laugh at the un assisted no defense goals. Woo hoo. Shoot off the face off.

Every coach has played a team that they can run the score up. This is when your character or lack there of comes out. What really may be a problem is the attackman who wants to score 35 goals. Do they kick puppies as well? Lol. Rant over.
Laxers26

New postby AO on Thu Apr 07, 2016 3:08 pm

:clap: Well said. :clap:
AO

New postby thatsmell on Fri Apr 08, 2016 11:20 am

Laxers26 is spot on.

Context people. The score doesn't matter, it's how the game was played. Given the rancor on Twitter, it doesn't sound like it was a very cordial event or choc-full of sportsmanship.

I've seen 35-2 games where the result was never in doubt, but both teams continued to play hard and work on their game and trying to get better- in the spirit of competition. The score stands, but it is essentially a "scrimmage" for both teams where new personnel, groupings, sets, etc. are tried.

If there wasn't a meeting with coaches at halftime, this is pathetic. If Simon Frasier was trying to pad stats for playoff seeding as mentioned, it's in very poor form.
"I never knew no Godfather. I got my own family, Senator."
thatsmell

New postby Brooklyn on Tue May 10, 2016 10:17 am

change the rules to allow running time at the start of the 2d half - problem solved (for now)

sadly, we will have to wait a few more years before parity is achieved at this level; meantime we do have this possible alternative to prevent such disparate scoring so that everyone can have some measure of fun at these matches
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

~ Charles Francis "Socker" Coe ~
Brooklyn

Sponsor

Previous

Return to Men's - MCLA