MCLA National Tournament Talk

Men's Collegiate Lacrosse Association

MCLA National Tournament Talk

New postby Coach McD on Mon May 09, 2016 11:18 pm

Stream the games live all week long:

http://mcla.us/news/2016/05/live-streaming-1st-round-7-00-p-m--session

Apparently you can watch the completed games as well.

Let's get some chatter going. There's some funny stuff out there on Twitter so far. Double it up in here.
facebook.com/CoachCaseyMcDonald +ThirdCoastLacrossePodio
twitter.com/CoachCaseyMcD + @thirdcoastpodio
Instagram: @coachcaseymcdonald + @_thirdcoastpodio_

Third Coast Lacrosse Podio Creator/Host
https://soundcloud.com/user-199077081
#GrowTheGame
Coach McD

Re: MCLA National Tournament Talk

New postby Brooklyn on Tue May 10, 2016 10:11 am

definitely worth a look - great to see lax online for FREE - and it gives the world a chance to see what fun our game is :D
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

~ Charles Francis "Socker" Coe ~
Brooklyn

New postby holmes435 on Tue May 10, 2016 10:39 am

Not much in the way of upsets for D1, just #9 ASU beating #8 CSU by a goal.

Boston College avenges their early season loss to Arizona (their second game in 2 days and probably coming off a high of beating GCU the day before) with a drubbing of their own. An interesting team, when they lose they have lost big, but they've also beaten up on a ton of teams. GCU looks to avenge their in-season loss to BC in the quarters.

Colorado also avenged their in-season loss to UCSB with a pretty commanding performance. If they are playing well, I could see them making it to the finals again.

With SMU losing to Cal Poly, two of the three undefeated teams are left - Georgia Tech and Chapman. Chapman has a win over Arizona State already, but as we've seen so far the teams who lost earlier in the season are winning. Georgia Tech and BYU don't have much of a history.
holmes435

New postby DakotaDan on Tue May 10, 2016 5:31 pm

DakotaDan
Site Admin

New postby holmes435 on Tue May 10, 2016 11:58 pm

Grand Canyon beats Boston College 11-8 after losing to them earlier in the season.

Cal Poly puts a definitive end to any Colorado run with a 10-5 win.

Georgia Tech and Chapman continue the run of unbeatens.

Final four is as follows:

GT vs. Chapman will decide who remains undefeated, I'm not sure they have ever played.

Cal Poly vs. Grand Canyon for the other final 4 game - GCU won earlier in the season 10-9 for CPSLOs only loss on the year.

3 west coast teams and one east coast team (I think the 2nd or 3rd time an east coast team is in the final 4).

The streaming and commentary seems pretty solid. Seems on par with most of the men's ESPNU games I've seen and a notch or two above most of the women's ESPNU games.
holmes435

New postby 4141 on Wed May 11, 2016 7:45 am

Any insight would be appreciated. AU beats BC during the season 16-5 and loses in the quarters 14-3. Out of 50+ players on the AU roster approximately half make it to the tournament due to finals conflicts. In the consolation game only 16 laxcats were on hand. There were also players who were going to drive 8 hours back to school if they won the second game and drive back 8 hours for the next game. I was told since it is club the school would not make any concessions. With that said I believe in academics first before any lacrosse at any level. The chances of AU winning within these circumstances was very slim and embarrassing for some players. Why accept the bid to play in the tournament? And is it like that at other top club programs?

New postby PointTaken on Wed May 11, 2016 9:20 am

Most other programs will excuse these types of trips if the students work with professors early in the year and don't wait until the last week. Some programs will take finals early, late, or on the road. Arizona getting into the tourney at all was a specious choice at best, but agreed that it looks bad on them and the MCLA to not show up to the national tournament with all of their guys (if that's true - this is the first I've heard of it).
PointTaken

New postby 4141 on Wed May 11, 2016 4:43 pm

In no way does it look bad on the players. Academics first. Sports second. I just thought it odd that this was not worked out before hand. And you figure with a cost of $3k to play it is a ripoff that it happened.

New postby Coach McD on Thu May 12, 2016 2:13 am

We've talked about it in the LSA thread, bids to MCLA Nationals are no small matter. Forgive me for not knowing off the top of my head at 1am but if Zona won their conference AQ, they essentially had no choice but to accept their bid unless they be on the hook for their conference to lose its AQ for 2 more seasons.
If they received the At-Large bid, well I'm not certain of the rule for forfeiture in this case.

I'd like to believe that it was a team vote & those that decided to play did all they had to in order to balance finals & the tournament.

Someone said it earlier-if your team has a legitimate shot at making the tourney, you work with each of your professors from Day 1 of the Spring Semester (or 2nd Qtr if you're on a 4 Qtr system) to adjust for finals. This would beat be served by strong guidance from MCLA reps to each team in the effort to grow the game at all angles so we can minimize unfortunate happenings such as missing the National Tournament.
facebook.com/CoachCaseyMcDonald +ThirdCoastLacrossePodio
twitter.com/CoachCaseyMcD + @thirdcoastpodio
Instagram: @coachcaseymcdonald + @_thirdcoastpodio_

Third Coast Lacrosse Podio Creator/Host
https://soundcloud.com/user-199077081
#GrowTheGame
Coach McD

New postby 4141 on Thu May 12, 2016 6:25 am

Thanks for the info. I guess it's just not as organized as I thought it would be. Players having to work out their academic schedules on an individual basis with each professor is a tall order. Especially if the administration is not completely on board. I'm glad the players that were able to play played. Even if it meant humping 16 hours in a car if they made it to the finals. But I'm more glad that players made their academics come first. Still seems to me there needs to be less put on the players and more on the administration/staff. With all that has gone on I am not an expert here so it may just be the way it is.

Sponsor

Return to Men's - MCLA