MCLA Recruitment - Can coaches help with Admissions?

Men's Collegiate Lacrosse Association

MCLA Recruitment - Can coaches help with Admissions?

New postby JJS on Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:52 pm

My son is being actively recruited by D3 schools, but they are all of the small, liberal arts variety. I think that's great, but I have urged him to take a look at big state schools just for comparisons sake. He won't be recruited by any D1 schools, but MCLA schools are definitely an the option. Question is whether coaches in MCLA have the same pull with admissions as in NCAA. Anyone know?
JJS

Re: MCLA Recruitment - Can coaches help with Admissions?

New postby holmes435 on Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:19 pm

Generally no, they won't have the same kind of pull, but there are a couple schools here and there that have big enough alumni groups or a good relationship with someone in admissions to have a little input. Ask the coaches at the schools he's interested in and they should be able to give you an answer as to what they can do.
holmes435

New postby LaxTchr on Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:16 pm

JJS wrote:My son is being actively recruited by D3 schools, but they are all of the small, liberal arts variety. I think that's great, but I have urged him to take a look at big state schools just for comparisons sake. He won't be recruited by any D1 schools, but MCLA schools are definitely an the option. Question is whether coaches in MCLA have the same pull with admissions as in NCAA. Anyone know?

Admissions assistance varies greatly in the MCLA. Many schools cannot help at all, some have a limited voice, and there are several that can assist tremendously! As mentioned above, your best bet is to contact the coaches at the programs in which you are interested. At the very least they can notify admissions to be expecting your sons' application. Good luck!
"Success is uncommon, therefore not to be enjoyed by the common man. I am looking for uncommon men." -Cal Stoll
LaxTchr

New postby CoffeeCoach on Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:54 pm

Yea, unless a coach/alumni works in admissions or something I doubt anyone is getting help. Smaller schools could be different. I feel like Grand Caynon could be doing something. They are crushing it right now. But most MCLA schools are state schools so admissions requirements are pretty easy to get in.
CoffeeCoach

New postby holmes435 on Sat Aug 26, 2017 1:47 am

CoffeeCoach wrote:Yea, unless a coach/alumni works in admissions or something I doubt anyone is getting help. Smaller schools could be different. I feel like Grand Caynon could be doing something. They are crushing it right now. But most MCLA schools are state schools so admissions requirements are pretty easy to get in.

There are a few big schools with enough alumni pull that they can help without someone working there. Smaller schools are definitely easier to find some help. GCU is a for-profit and had a varsity team for a few years, so I'm sure there's some built-in support. State schools admissions vary as much as any private school. Some state schools like UCB and UCLA are as hard or harder to get into as an Ivy or NESCAC school, others like ASU accept 85% of admissions.
holmes435

New postby LeadSled1 on Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:24 am

Coach Rapkin at GCU puts in a full tour for recruiting in the hotbed areas during the summer. I think he might even be heading back out in the fall. Add on top a stellar campus, affordable tuition ($16.5K) and room/board ($7K), generous academic scholarships, and a great coach/program/facilities and you can see why there is a draw there.
LeadSled1

New postby AO on Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:44 pm

Take what schools display in their materials with a grain of salt; it's always a best-case picture they paint based upon select, culled, refined student info. It's like their printed material and website imagery: pictures are always taken in the fall on sunny days. :-)

What they have to report anually to the US Dept. of Ed is where the rubber meets the road. GCU's reported total upfront annual costs (before aid, etc.) for FT undergrads to IPEDS (https://nces.ed.gov/collegenavigator/?q ... &id=104717) is more like $32,100 (tuition, R&B, as well as fees and an 'other' charge of $5700 listed on IPEDS). Again, this is what they reported to the Dept. of Ed for 2016-17.

Still, pretty cheap price for a private school
AO

New postby LeadSled1 on Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:57 pm

Wait, are you saying every day isn't sunny in Phoenix? :shock:

Just kidding. :lol:

I used to travel to Phoenix for a week of work every 6 weeks. Gotta love the August storms when things turn to mud.

GCU came in with a great net price for us with academic scholarship. Out of all the schools we worked with York and Coker were the only one that were somewhat close. Gettysburg and High Point were the highest. GCU had a very specific concentration we were looking for in the academic program. That, the other things I mentioned previously about GCU, and the occasional lacrosse game on the beach in California :dance: .
LeadSled1

Sponsor

Return to Men's - MCLA